2020 NFL Free Agents

billsfan_34

10 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Guys I'd be interested in by position:

QB: Not a free agent, but cut candidate - Andy Dalton

RB: Kenyan Drake - Not sure he'd come here since he probably wants a feature role, but i always thought he was really talented

WR: None of the UFAs really impress me as i doubt we make a run at cooper.  I'd be willing to trade for someone like Diggs or A. Robinson.. but this looks like a position that won't be addressed until the draft

OL: Depends how they see ford.  If they really want to roll him at RT, then i'd say try and bring back spain.  Otherwise Make a run at RT - there's a few names that should be available.

DL: I'd like to keep our own, and probably draft another pass rusher.

LB: Depth needed here, probably an overpay for dupree or judon but they could both add some wrinkles here.  

Pretty good points.  OLB is a big need with Lorax retiring.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Spain decision entirely depends on what they think of Ford at RT for me. If they like him enough there to commit to him I think they take a run at Spain. If they don't they let Spain walk and I think Ford is your starting LG next year, and they go with Ty and a mid round pick or a low end FA at RT.

I think thats a valid assessment- if you had to move Ford to guard it makes Spain expendable. 

On 12/17/2019 at 9:49 AM, the skycap said:

Are you sure about that?? Maybe he's not playing because he's "disgruntled" about his contract and doesn't want to put out for organization because they're not putting out for him. He'll be 32 in July.. He's one of the best route runners in the NFL. He'll immediately fix the "separation" problem this team has. Josh needs a proven commodity at receiver right now. Draft a young receiver to learn from AJ/Smoke/Beasley

Whew!! At first I thought you were talking about Hunter.

Does that sound like our kind of guy? An aging, injured ,disgruntled WR? He was a good route runner in the past but this is now. Sure, maybe he is just mad about his contract and maybe he has a nagging injury that, at his age, he hasn't been able to get past. A high priced, soon to be over the hill, disgruntled WR with broken wheels won't immediately solve anything.  It would be a gamble with odds only slightly better than Kelvin Benjamin. Pass. Plenty of other WR's out there and we have done pretty well with the guys we have. Green was awesome back in the day and maybe he does have some mileage left so I get the interest but I don't think its a smart move. 

On 12/16/2019 at 10:03 PM, suorangefan4 said:

Brandon Scherff if he's still as good after that injury. Anthony Castonzo too even though he's 32. 

A strong offensive line is really important. It improves the running game and passing game. It would also make Josh Allen feel more comfortable in the pocket. Far more important than getting a WR. I think our WRs are good. Beasley and Brown do get open. Imagine Allen getting even more time to find them.

LT - Anthony Castonzo

LG - Spain / Ford / Feliciano / Dawkins

C - Mitch Morse

RG - Brandon Scherff

RT - Dion Dawkins

/ Drools

Our WR are good? Even if they were we need another one. How many WR have Mahomes/Jackson/Watson’s teams drafted for them? brown and Beasley are both about to be on the wrong side of 30. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Because he fits Beanes MO. 

A potentially great pick up with some risk due to injury and probably on a bargain contract.... I'm all for it. 

The Bills need a really good WR opposite Brown. Relying on a rookie to fill that role is wishful thinking. 

It'll be interesting to see what the WR free agent market is like this offseason. The draft is incredibly strong at WR (assuming the expected guys declare), so that could theoretically depress the free agency costs. But on the flipside, the FA market is so barren that the couple of great WRs available (Cooper and Green) could end up getting overpaid.

It'll be interesting to see how it all balances out. Ultimately, I don't really see any WRs that move the needle for me in free agency.

I'd be looking at who might be available on the trade market; otherwise address it via the draft finally. Someone else mentioned Allen Robinson...I don't think it's totally crazy to think he could be available (as compared to Evans/Godwin, who I think are untouchable). Robinson would be a huge get for us.

we need to at least sign 2 new WR's next season. an experienced guy in FA and 1 picked high in the draft. 

I do not want to see Mckenzie and andre roberts running routes for us next season. get some real NFL WR's here instead of glorified gym teachers 

Edited by Penfield45
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/17/2019 at 12:29 AM, JGMcD2 said:

I don't expect us to target any of the big fish in free agency. We are going to take a similar approach as we did this season... spread it around. I have a feeling that there will be an emphasis on hammering out contract extensions for OUR core players this offseason - that is where the big money will go. It will primarily be future money.

I'm going to take some numbers off Spotrac here to give an idea... it won't be anything exact, instead more of a rough outline of what I expect.

Tre White 

5 yrs, $70,579,070

Avg. Salary: $14,115,814

Matt Milano

4 yrs, $53,325,792

Avg. Salary: $13,331,448

Dion Dawkins

5 yrs, $38,500,000 

Avg. Salary: $7,700,000

Jordan Poyer

4 yrs, $27,000,000 

Avg. Salary:  $6,750,000

I also expect the following Buffalo Bills free agents to be retained:

Jordan Phillips

3 year, $30,000,000

Avg. Salary: $10,000,000

Shaq Lawson

3 yrs, $22,500,000

Avg. Salary: $7,500,000

Senorise Perry (UFA) ~ $800,000

Dean Marlowe (RFA) ~ $1,900,000

Isaiah McKenzie (RFA) ~ $1,900,000

Jason Croom (ERFA) ~ $585,000

Levi Wallace (ERFA) ~ $660,000

Robert Foster (ERFA) ~ $660,000

After resigning the eight free agents listed above, our offseason roster would sit at 50/90 players. I have reason to believe we would sign the eleven players on our practice squad to futures deals, meaning our roster would sit at 61/90 players. Factor in our nine draft picks (although I believe we will only make 5-6 picks) our roster BEFORE signing any free agents outside of our own organization is set to include 70/90 players allowed in the preseason.

The deals I listed out above would cost us roughly $24 million and then about $10M for draft picks that would leave us with $55 million available to spend in 2020. Phillips and Lawson would be the only MAJOR deals that would impact our 2020 cap situation. The rest would take effect in 2021 seeing that White, Milano, Dawkins and Poyer are all controlled through 2020. 

Here are some players I reasonably believe that we could target this offseason;

Matt Breida, RB (RFA)

Geronimo Allison, WR (UFA)

Demarcus Robinson, WR (UFA)

Kendrick Bourne, WR (RFA)

Vic Beasley, DE (UFA)

Jadeveon Clowney, DE (UFA)

Deone Bucannon, LB (UFA)

De'Vondre Campbell, LB (UFA)

James Bradberry, CB (UFA)

Trae Waynes, CB (UFA)

These guys will cost way more than those estimates.

2 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

These guys will cost way more than those estimates.

Potentially... although I compared all of them to current deals for players at their position. 

The RFA and ERFA are based on the tender amounts as well. 

I think the offensive line is going to get supplemented from the draft as opposed to signing free agents. I believe the only available spot is possibly Spain’s.

Anyone who looks at the Ford situation and thinks they’re moving him to guard??? Just look at what they’ve done with Dion Dawkins. I think they’ll give Ford every opportunity to become a fixture at RT.

If they’re spending big term and money on Morse, and about to on Dawkins, they’d probably rather only want to spend bigger on one guard. To me Feliciano is the better guard.

If Spain hits free agency, I could see him getting $8M+ for 4yrs. Teams that don’t have our depth and stability in the front office are often DESPERATE for offensive line help. Spain will basically be the #2 or #3 free agent guard available this off season. 

next year I see the O-line looking like...

LT

Dawkins (getting extended in 2020)

Bates (versatile backup)

LG

Long ($4M cap hit)

Draft Pick (somewhere in rounds 2-4?)

Morse (big money invested here)

RG

Feliciano (will likely be re-signed if his play from this year continues)

Boettger or FA (depends on how they believe he’s progressed as we haven’t really seen him much this year).

RT

Ford

Nsekhe

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 6:50 PM, wppete said:

Ngakoue and Amari Cooper 

.....add Armstead to that list. I think Murphy is gone for sure and probably Jerry too. It's not guaranteed we extend Shaq? Spend alot on these 3 young players.

1. Ngakoue

2. Cooper

3. Armstead 

Draft either Jonathan Taylor or Shenault. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

.....add Armstead to that list. I think Murphy is gone for sure and probably Jerry too. It's not guaranteed we extend Shaq? Spend alot on these 3 young players.

If we get those 3 and draft well again we will be unstoppable next year! Let’s go Beane!!!

On 12/16/2019 at 7:46 PM, the skycap said:

I'd sign AJ Green, Hunter Henry. Re-sign Shaq and Jordan. Draft Jonathan Taylor and a WR in rd 2 to learn under Green/Smoke. Josh need playmakers. Adding Green, Henry with Smoke, Beasley, Taylor and Motor will put a jolt into the offense. Will probably need to release Kroft/Lee Smith.

Green and Sanders are too old and injury prone.  Cooper is really the only decent guy 27 or under. Keep Knox and hope he holds on to the ball cause he does get open. I see Kroft & Smith released.  We'll probably draft another TE.

12 minutes ago, wppete said:

If we get those 3 and draft well again we will be unstoppable next year! Let’s go Beane!!!

Getting both DE's will depend on if we extend Shaq. And yes it will take a  good bite out of the cap. I have no doubt they sign Phillips. Trent & Jerry are pretty much done with the Bills. A front 4 of Ngakoue, Oliver, Phillips & Armstead would be dominating. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/18/2019 at 5:38 PM, ScottLaw said:

Because he fits Beanes MO. 

A potentially great pick up with some risk due to injury and probably on a bargain contract.... I'm all for it. 

The Bills need a really good WR opposite Brown. Relying on a rookie to fill that role is wishful thinking. 

I agree. He seems like he would be a good fit In this teams mould, he’s getting out of clunker situation in Cinci.

If medical says he’s good to go. I’m all for this at a reasonable price. 

On 12/18/2019 at 9:58 PM, ScottLaw said:

I don’t expect them to go the “resign your own” route just yet.... they aren’t going to be able to retain all these guys, and if Josh Allen continues to progress it won’t matter..... stack up your team now with quality FAs/draft picks while you have the cap and your QB is under his cheap rookie deal. Assuming Josh becomes what we all hope he does, you definitely aren’t going to be able to resign all of your own guys.

I doubt they retain both Phillips and Shaq.... and I really doubt Poyer ever gets a hefty extension here. 

I’ll be curious to see what Happens with Poyer. I don’t think he is at the point where he should be paid as a premier safety. What does Poyer think his value is.  I’m sure Beane will throw out a number and planting in his head of  finishing  off what he helped start building 2 years ago. Maybe Poyer loves Buffalo to take a bit less.

• Like (+1) 1

Hunter Henry and Knox would be a formidable TE tandem.  A good TE tandem will help Allen.  Also get a WR (Green), draft a WR in the 2nd, draft Edge in the 1st.  FA OLB.  Also continue to add to OL.  

This does not address the needs to resign/extend some of our own guys like White, Poyer, Phillips.  

Edited by RyanC883

On 12/17/2019 at 8:46 AM, GunnerBill said:

I am a big Spain fan but I think he will get a bigger contract next year than he got this year. When you add to that they might well want to move Ford inside.... then I think it allows them to do that and focus on a RT in FA / draft.

Spain received only a one year deal worth $2M.  Very inexpensive for a starter.  He'll definitely want a longer deal and more money.  I was always curious why Bills only signed him to one year deal.  Maybe that's what Spain wanted and/or Bills saw him as a stopgap with idea of drafting another OLineman in 2020.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:51 PM, Dkollidas said:

I think the offensive line is going to get supplemented from the draft as opposed to signing free agents. I believe the only available spot is possibly Spain’s.

Anyone who looks at the Ford situation and thinks they’re moving him to guard??? Just look at what they’ve done with Dion Dawkins. I think they’ll give Ford every opportunity to become a fixture at RT.

If they’re spending big term and money on Morse, and about to on Dawkins, they’d probably rather only want to spend bigger on one guard. To me Feliciano is the better guard.

If Spain hits free agency, I could see him getting $8M+ for 4yrs. Teams that don’t have our depth and stability in the front office are often DESPERATE for offensive line help. Spain will basically be the #2 or #3 free agent guard available this off season. 

next year I see the O-line looking like...

LT

Dawkins (getting extended in 2020)

Bates (versatile backup)

LG

Long ($4M cap hit)

Draft Pick (somewhere in rounds 2-4?)

Morse (big money invested here)

RG

Feliciano (will likely be re-signed if his play from this year continues)

Boettger or FA (depends on how they believe he’s progressed as we haven’t really seen him much this year).

RT

Ford

Nsekhe

I mostly agree with this assessment.  My only question regards to Bates.  In college, he played mostly interior line.  If Bills view him as interior guy, I see the Bills drafting an OT.

On 12/16/2019 at 7:41 PM, billsfan_34 said:

https://nfltraderumors.co/2020-nfl-free-agent-list/

Who would you like on this list? Of course re-signing J Phillips is a must and I would love to see Derrick Henry in a Bills uni.

If talking RBs, I go FA Jordan Howard from Philly...

Yes. Resign Phillips and Shaq. Go after Bud Dupree and another DE. Murphy has to go, that saves $6M....(That’s basically Phillips or Shaqs now).

I would love to see $40-50M in cap space spent on defense. Whether it be resigning, extending or FA.... build this defense to be #1!!! 

Edited by CEN-CAL17

On 12/16/2019 at 9:03 PM, suorangefan4 said:

Brandon Scherff if he's still as good after that injury. Anthony Castonzo too even though he's 32. 

A strong offensive line is really important. It improves the running game and passing game. It would also make Josh Allen feel more comfortable in the pocket. Far more important than getting a WR. I think our WRs are good. Beasley and Brown do get open. Imagine Allen getting even more time to find them.

LT - Anthony Castonzo

LG - Spain / Ford / Feliciano / Dawkins

C - Mitch Morse

RG - Brandon Scherff

RT - Dion Dawkins

/ Drools

According to a friend of mine who knows his family and him from Denison Iowa. He won’t be back and I told him to tell Brandon sign with the bills. 

Edited by Nebillzfan

On 12/16/2019 at 8:41 PM, billsfan_34 said:

https://nfltraderumors.co/2020-nfl-free-agent-list/

Who would you like on this list? Of course re-signing J Phillips is a must and I would love to see Derrick Henry in a Bills uni.

Rather not bring in a RB, want a fresh guy from college

FB Zach Line, would get play making ability along with blocking.

AJ Green is getting old and injury history, i think Amari Cooper could be a nice addition.

TE Hunter Henry, upgrade over Kroft.

would love Whitworth but hes pretty old. RT Jason Sprigs

G Brandon Scherf , want Ritchie but he isnt welcome here.

DE Josh Mauro, loved him in college and saw him make plays this year for the raiders.

Definitely LB Joe Schobert, guy is a stud.

And most of our players 

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Rather not bring in a RB, want a fresh guy from college

FB Zach Line, would get play making ability along with blocking.

AJ Green is getting old and injury history, i think Amari Cooper could be a nice addition.

TE Hunter Henry, upgrade over Kroft.

would love Whitworth but hes pretty old. RT Jason Sprigs

G Brandon Scherf , want Ritchie but he isnt welcome here.

DE Josh Mauro, loved him in college and saw him make plays this year for the raiders.

Definitely LB Joe Schobert, guy is a stud.

And most of our players 

That seems to be the general consensus for RB- I get it but sometimes the draft does not fall your way and it may not he a bad idea to bring one in and still draft one if one of our guys is there. Can’t see us grabbing a TE with 2 TE’s taken last draft but ya never know- Beane has been pretty true to the BPA approach- go Bills.

9 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

If talking RBs, I go FA Jordan Howard from Philly...

Yes. Resign Phillips and Shaq. Go after Bud Dupree and another DE. Murphy has to go, that saves $6M....(That’s basically Phillips or Shaqs now).

I would love to see $40-50M in cap space spent on defense. Whether it be resigning, extending or FA.... build this defense to be #1!!! 

I believe we have seen the last of Murphy- his money is less than the production we are getting. I have been an advocate for Henry for the right price. Kareem Hunt is a RFA however I cant see the Browns matching as they have to sign Chubb soon also but ya never know.

• Like (+1) 2