Bucs release Deone Buccanon (update - signed by NYG)

YoloinOhio

Just now, Max Fischer said:

He would be nice to have but why would Buccanon would sign with Bills since there isn't near enough playing time unless a starter goes down.  Plus, what do you do with Thompson when he's back?  He'd be a great back-up but I don't see why he'd sign here. 

If you are released in the middle of the season there isn't a great chance that you will walk into a starting job unless you are a solid starter. I agree with you that Buffalo is not an ideal spot to get snaps barring more injury. I would expect Milano to be back by the Dolphins. But the two weeks of practice may be enough to show something to the coaches.

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

He would be nice to have but why would Buccanon would sign with Bills since there isn't near enough playing time unless a starter goes down.  Plus, what do you do with Thompson when he's back?  He'd be a great back-up but I don't see why he'd sign here. 

Cut Thompson.  Bucannon's a better player anyway. Always be upgrading,  especially a player who fits perfect in McD's scheme.

On 10/9/2019 at 10:14 AM, YoloinOhio said:

In addition, the New England Patriots have been awarded a fifth round compensatory draft pick in conjunction with the release of Deone Bucannon by Tampa Bay.   In the event Bucannon signs with New England, the Patriots' compensatory pick will move to the fourth round.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Why would the Bucs release him?

Somebody on these boards suggested that he was playing out of position in Tampa

3 minutes ago, Roger Goodell said:

In addition, the New England Patriots have been awarded a fifth round compensatory draft pick in conjunction with the release of Deone Bucannon by Tampa Bay.   In the event Bucannon signs with New England, the Patriots' compensatory pick will move to the fourth round.

I didn't like your schtick at first but I have to admit it's growing on me, lol...

2 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

Somebody on these boards suggested that he was playing out of position in Tampa

That team is DESPERATE for defensive talent.

They must be one shaady organization to not be able to find a spot for him on a talent-deprived D.

Edited by njbuff
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/9/2019 at 10:27 AM, MAJBobby said:

Not really at the time they had NOTHING but Jason Croom at TE.  No way of knowing that their draft would being Knox and Sweeney, and then no way of knowing they would make Kroft Irrelevant in their First year.

two point scored and one

On 10/10/2019 at 6:21 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Giants are also interested, and their DC used to coach him in Arizona 

Yeah but he ran that Big Nickel D in ARI which played to Buccanon's skillset. 

He's a strong safety masquerading as a LB. 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/03/buccaneers-to-sign-lb-deone-bucannonhttps://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/03/buccaneers-to-sign-lb-deone-bucannon

This will be a one-year agreement, per ESPN.com’s Adam Schefter (on Twitter), which makes sense given Bucannon’s struggles during his platform year. The 2014 first-round pick finished as one of Pro Football Focus’ worst-graded linebackers last season, though he only played only 389 snaps in Steve Wilks‘ defense.

Edited by Pete

16 minutes ago, QCity said:

Yeah but he ran that Big Nickel D in ARI which played to Buccanon's skillset. 

He's a strong safety masquerading as a LB. 

I feel like we've already been down this road with Bryan Scott getting EATEN ALIVE by Tom Brady and the New England Offense.

I still have nightmare flashbacks of "43's the Mike!"

Bryan Scott: 6'1" 220lbs

Deone Buccanon: 6'1" 218lbs

HARD PASS

@Boyst62, if you're out there, i know you feel this too

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I feel like we've already been down this road with Bryan Scott getting EATEN ALIVE by Tom Brady and the New England Offense.

I still have nightmare flashbacks of "43's the Mike!"

Bryan Scott: 6'1" 220lbs

Deone Buccanon: 6'1" 218lbs

HARD PASS

@Boyst62, if you're out there, i know you feel this too

I'm sure that McDermott would know how to use him properly.

45 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I'm sure that McDermott would know how to use him properly.

My concern is less about how our coaches use him, and more about how the opposition will abuse him.

We thought the plan for Scott was genius and air-tight. Using him as LB in the Nickel to give us more coverage on the underneath routes and TEs.

But all the Pats had to do was send in 1 RB along with the 3 WRs to force us into the Nickel alignment. Then they'd find 43, audible to a run, and run right at him. 5-7 yards a pop.

Good teams like the ones we'll face in the playoffs will exploit tweeners. Too big/slow to play DB, and too small to defend the Run. IMO, it's more a weakness than an advantage. They become the target.

Cant scheme or gameplan your way out of that.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

My concern is less about how our coaches use him, and more about how the opposition will abuse him.

We thought the plan for Scott was genius and air-tight. Using him as LB in the Nickel to give us more coverage on the underneath routes and TEs.

But all the Pats had to do was send in 1 RB along with the 3 WRs to force us into the Nickel alignment. Then they'd find 43, audible to a run, and run right at him. 5-7 yards a pop.

Good teams like the ones we'll face in the playoffs will exploit tweeners. Too big/slow to play DB, and too small to defend the Run. IMO, it's more a weakness than an advantage. They become the target.

Cant scheme or gameplan your way out of that.

How do teams abuse McD’s “big nickel”?