Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I said we were losing that game because Oliver is unable to finish.

the ONE thing I want to see from Oliver, and the ONLY thing I want to see from him is drive-ending sacks.

That's it. That's the bill of goods being sold on the guy, and he's not delivering.

This team has some issues. Oliver is really low on the list. 

Your crusade against him is silly and exhausting 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Right.

Again, I think you place a WHOLE lot of value in your draft board, and are quite unwilling to second-guess it. You're not alone in that regard.

We were losing in the first half because the defense couldn't manage against the inside run by Miami, couldn't get to Fitz and couldn't stop a cold.

That is completely untrue. When I get someone wrong in a draft I am always willing to admit it. I liked Shaq Lawson too much. Didn't like Josh Allen enough. The truth is Oliver has been pretty good so far. He hasn't been dominant yet but I am pretty pleased with his play. 

By far the biggest problem on defense was Tremaine Edmunds (who I also loved at draft time for the record). He was absolutely atrocious today and it was his inability to recognise the right gap that led to us being gashed much more than our 3 technique. If you think otherwise then you really need to watch the game again and watch properly because you are just wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

That is completely untrue. When I get someone wrong in a draft I am always willing to admit it. I liked Shaq Lawson too much. Didn't like Josh Allen enough. The truth is Oliver has been pretty good so far. He hasn't been dominant yet but I am pretty pleased with his play. 

By far the biggest problem on defense was Tremaine Edmunds (who I also loved at draft time for the record). He was absolutely atrocious today and it was his inability to recognise the right gap that led to us being gashed much more than our 3 technique. If you think otherwise then you really need to watch the game again and watch properly because you are just wrong. 

And yet Walton only had 66 yards total, not all of which obviously were Edmunds fault. Watching I would have thought he got 100. The Dolphins averaged 3.6 a rush. 

29 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Really?  You’re really looking foolish in this thread, which isn’t surprising. You are bashing Allen, but are too ignorant to admit that the defense was the real culprit in almost losing this game.

Not once did I ever try and blame Allen for almost losing. The defense was not good and made the Fins offense look much better than they actually are.

Yes, everyone’s precious defense sucked today. Until Tre’s interception. Allen has drops from Knox that would have been 6 and Beasley. That would have changed a lot. All you are likely focusing on his missed deep ball to Roberts. Wake up and see the big picture...

I didn’t even mention the deep miss to Roberts, not sure how I am focusing on it.. Where are you even getting this nonsense from?

Allen and the offense need to consistently be better. I was called a hater when I said The same about Tyrod. I am seeing the big picture and this team won’t have sustained success if the offense only shows up for parts of games. Relying on a defense to always be great or bail us out is not a method of winning you can rely on. Thankfully this year our schedule is easy. Ending the drought was great but I want to be so much more than a wild card one and done team. For us to actually make noise, our offense needs to be better

Edited by Bangarang

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Not once did I ever try and blame Allen for almost losing. The defense was not good and made the Fins offense look much better than they actually are.

I didn’t even mention the deep miss to Roberts, not sure how I am focusing on it.. Where are you even getting this nonsense from?

Allen and the offense need to consistently be better. I was called a hater when I said The same about Tyrod. I am seeing the big picture and this team won’t have sustained success if the offense only shows up for parts of games. Relying on a defense to always be great or bail us out is going to bite us in the rear.

Like today. Today the Bills D didn’t show up in the first half and the offense couldn’t pick up the slack AT ALL. Just once, can the offense carry the defense? I guess that’s too much to ask our QB to do once in his career.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

And yet Walton only had 66 yards total, not all of which obviously were Edmunds fault. Watching I would have thought he got 100. The Dolphins averaged 3.6 a rush. 

The Bills improved a bit in the run game 2nd half. But also the Dolphins got away from it early. 

27 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Right.

Again, I think you place a WHOLE lot of value in your draft board, and are quite unwilling to second-guess it. You're not alone in that regard.

We were losing in the first half because the defense couldn't manage against the inside run by Miami, couldn't get to Fitz and couldn't stop a cold.

Metcalf just fumbled the ball which the Ravens returned for a TD. Just saying. It is silly, especially at this point, to say drafting Oliver over him was a mistake.

The Bills improved a bit in the run game 2nd half. But also the Dolphins got away from it early. 

They did. But I don't think it is a fair assessment to say Edmunds was atrocious. He made a couple extremely important plays and a couple extremely bad ones. But they were not the ones that put the game in peril and overall it didn't kill us. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They did. But I don't think it is a fair assessment to say Edmunds was atrocious. He made a couple extremely important plays and a couple extremely bad ones. But they were not the ones that put the game in peril and overall it didn't kill us. 

He got lost in coverage on the Parker TD too. I think it was his worst game as a pro. 

28 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Right.

+2 turn overs 

1 ST TD

21 points allowed. 

Losing with that stat line, will always be the offenses fault. Last year the line for W/L was right around 24 points. Over you should win. Under you should lose. 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

But that was not his man was it? I'll have to watch it again. 

He came right from the other side of the formation - was technically Wallace's guy - but Edmunds got completely fooled on the misdirection otherwise he is the guy who tidies up on that play. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

He came right from the other side of the formation - was technically Wallace's guy - but Edmunds got completely fooled on the misdirection otherwise he is the guy who tidies up on that play. 

I guess my point was that the only reason this game was close was Fitzy being Fitzy throwing the ball downfield, running when he had to, making excellent throws 15 yards down the field. Often on critical downs. NOT because of Edmunds poor play, and he made a couple great ones. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I guess my point was that the only reason this game was close was Fitzy being Fitzy throwing the ball downfield, running when he had to, making excellent throws 15 yards down the field. Often on critical downs. NOT because of Edmunds poor play, and he made a couple great ones. 

In the first half their run game was a big part of why they were ahead. Yes the 2nd half was more about Fitz's arm and what is the phrase.... "live by the sword and die by the sword"? 

17 minutes ago, George C said:

He so far has zero touch and trajectory talent, and, his long balls suck. He has a long way to go, and I couldn’t care less how strong of an arm he has. I need to see trajectory...

Sounds like you're solely talking about his long passes. I just don't get this post, otherwise.

He's sucked on his long passes this year. On the rest of his passes he's really improving.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

+2 turn overs 

1 ST TD

21 points allowed. 

Losing with that stat line, will always be the offenses fault. Last year the line for W/L was right around 24 points. Over you should win. Under you should lose. 

Usually right with you on those stats, but I would add TOP to that as well.

Our defense was letting Miami have the ball for far too long today - I am sure if they were asked they would tell you that this was not a good game by them. Any defense that lets Fitzpatrick run a TD in from 15-20 yards out is not going to come out of that game flexing nuts :)

A bit of rust, perhaps they thought Miami would roll over, they missed having Milano back there, Wallace is a smaller DB who can be man-handled and Preston on him was a good match-up for Miami. They could not stop Gesecki, and both of their RBs were finding success early in the game, and Fitz was escaping and extending plays.

Was a tough day for them even with the heroics from White that kept them out of the end zone in the second half.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Usually right with you on those stats, but I would add TOP to that as well.

Our defense was letting Miami have the ball for far too long today - I am sure if they were asked they would tell you that this was not a good game by them. Any defense that lets Fitzpatrick run a TD in from 15-20 yards out is not going to come out of that game flexing nuts :)

A bit of rust, perhaps they thought Miami would roll over, they missed having Milano back there, Wallace is a smaller DB who can be man-handled and Preston on him was a good match-up for Miami. They could not stop Gesecki, and both of their RBs were finding success early in the game, and Fitz was escaping and extending plays.

Was a tough day for them even with the heroics from White that kept them out of the end zone in the second half.

I can get behind all of this. Good post. 

Defense was bad by our standards this year. But not as bad as some are making it out to be. 

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Anyone wondering Allen's 4th quarter stats for the whole season:

22/32 (68.8%)

312 yards (9.8 YPA)

4TDs

0 INTs

139.6 QB Rating

Definitely not a bad thing that he plays his best in the 4th quarter. 

I would love to see those numbers as his stat line for a single game. Just a good and proper 60 minute ass kicking.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Yeah, I'm worried that he might be one of those guys who never has complete games very often.

coming back in the 4th qtr and winning is not a complete game?  he can play like ***** 3 qtrs but if he comes back and leads the team to a win in the 4th, there is nothing more complete, then WINNING the game!

2 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

coming back in the 4th qtr and winning is not a complete game?  he can play like ***** 3 qtrs but if he comes back and leads the team to a win in the 4th, there is nothing more complete, then WINNING the game!

No, having to perform 4th qtr. comebacks in virtually every game, even against the worst team in football, is not only not a complete game, it is not sustainable.  

Just now, Seven-N-Nine said:

Lets find out?  If you think Allen has been putting together complete games by a QB, then I think we have different definitions of what a complete game is...

Hurry there's a new topic that was just posted! Troll away!!!! 

Just curious......does it feel good????

Honest question. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

Honest question. 

that's all it has been doing since the win yesterday. I hate these people that come here and try everything they can to degrade a WIN. you're right, a troll for sure and a piss poor one at that.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

Honest question. 

I am enjoying the season so far. It is a good team led by a young QB who has tremendously improved over the last year, and has so much more room for growth. It is an exciting time. What doesn't really feel that enjoyable anymore is coming onto this board after a win. It feels like every thread gets taken over by the same small group of posters who feel the need to tell us over and over and over how awful Josh Allen is (far beyond legitimate criticism), and that the rest of us are some how too blinded by homerism or just too stupid to get it - until the negativity, in the end, makes it somehow feel like the team lost instead of won. 

The second best record in the conference at almost the half-way point of the season; a young nucleus that makes their share of mistakes, but are, growing, getting better, learning how to win - and exceeding the expectations of what most people thought they would be as a team this year; a real sense of competence and stability in the coaching staff and FO; and real optimism that this is a team on the rise.

It just seems to get lost, or trampled over,  in so many of these threads...

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I am enjoying the season so far. It is a good team led by a young QB who has tremendously improved over the last year, and has so much more room for growth. It is an exciting time. What doesn't really feel that enjoyable anymore is coming onto this board after a win. It feels like every thread gets taken over by the same small group of posters who feel the need to tell us over and over and over how awful Josh Allen is (far beyond legitimate criticism), and that the rest of us are some how too blinded by homerism or just too stupid to get it - until the negativity, in the end, makes it somehow feel like the team lost instead of won. 

The second best record in the conference at almost the half-way point of the season; a young nucleus that makes their share of mistakes, but are, growing, getting better, learning how to win - and exceeding the expectations of what most people thought they would be as a team this year; a real sense of competence and stability in the coaching staff and FO; and real optimism that this is a team on the rise.

Agreed.  

Those same posters act like we don’t criticize Allen.  We do, we just also see what he does well. 

The Offense moves the ball and is extremely efficient in the red zone and 4th Quarter.  That has a lot to do with Allen.  

If we were top 3rd in points and bottom 3rd in yardage, one would surmise that eventually points will move closer towards the bottom of the league yardage #’s, correct?  Why can’t we believe the same can happen in reverse?   Young QB, 4 new OL, 3 new RB, 3 new TE and 3 new WR... I think there’s reason to believe we have a lot of room for improvement.  

Does Allen need to do better?.. YUP.  Two games in a row with better decision making following that Patriots debacle... this needs to continue.  He needs to hit on the deep throws from time to time.  Every. Single. Game.  he misses at least one dude, wide open, for a TD.   That has to change.   If/When it does.... look out.    

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I don’t think that’s exact.

Everyone is enjoying the ride and the piling up of Conference Ws. Hell, it’s so rare, how could we not? But if the music stops and these meh performances start turning into losses, that’s the concern.

We need to see improvement at the prized position. We need to see a 2019 QB throw for 300 yards. This means, that he’s hitting 1-2 deep balls per game and THOSE haven’t been remotely close! The ability to get the 300 opens up the Running game- and not just HIM.

Excellent @ 5-1. But, better performances are necessary, if you aren’t just rolling the stiffs! Less stiffs in the back half! 

4 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

I don’t think that’s exact.

Everyone is enjoying the ride and the piling up of Conference Ws. Hell, it’s so rare, how could we not? But if the music stops and these meh performances start turning into losses, that’s the concern.

We need to see improvement at the prized position. We need to see a 2019 QB throw for 300 yards. This means, that he’s hitting 1-2 deep balls per game and THOSE haven’t been remotely close! The ability to get the 300 opens up the Running game- and not just HIM.

Excellent @ 5-1. But, better performances are necessary, if you aren’t just rolling the stiffs! Less stiffs in the back half! 

1. If you don't see improvement in Allen's game, then you don't want to see it.

2. This fascination with 300 yard games as a benchmark for success as a QB is one of the most superficial analyses out there of what success as a QB means

3. This is a team that won 6 games last year, with a completely new offense, a young QB in his 2nd year, still lacking all of the pieces they are looking for (as they are still building), and a team that most people picked to not even make the playoffs this year. They need better performances to get to the next level? Shocking.

4. And, oh, by the way, almost every good team (if not all) have the majority of their wins against bad teams. Can we please stop with the qualifications.

• Like (+1) 3

I'd rather Josh be better at the short and medium throws, like he is this year, than the long throws which are low opportunity/success plays.  It's the reason why his completion rate is 10% higher than last year and he's top-10 in adjusted completion rate.  But hopefully he gets the long ball back.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

1. If you don't see improvement in Allen's game, then you don't want to see it.

2. This fascination with 300 yard games as a benchmark for success as a QB is one of the most superficial analyses out there of what success as a QB means

3. This is a team that won 6 games last year, with a completely new offense, a young QB in his 2nd year, still lacking all of the pieces they are looking for (as they are still building), and a team that most people picked to not even make the playoffs this year. They need better performances to get to the next level? Shocking.

4. And, oh, by the way, almost every good team (if not all) have the majority of their wins against bad teams. Can we please stop with the qualifications.

I didn’t say that there wasn’t improvement.

There has been... slow improvement.

4th. Q leadership is an immense plus!

* However, game  Mgt. throughout and cutting off stupid errors are critical.

*It is not the 300 yards that is a fictional goal. That generally means, the QB did not have to complete +20 completions of an average 15 yards. ONLY the league Superstars can do that. But, they can also toss 1-2, highly accurate bombs for TDs, to set that up.

* There are more stiffs in the NFL this year, than I can recall for one year. The Bills are fortunate to be playing many of them in a sked oddity. I’m not overlooking the Ws- as previous versions this Millenium were life and death to beat even these teams.

* As you go on though, the team led by its QB must get better against the non stiff teams. Because, there are no more Losers left in the Playoffs. Virtually 100% have winning records, some yuuuge spreads between wins & losses.

Know what the record was for the Bills pre McD & Beane against Playoff Teams?

Horrendous! 1 in 5- 20%. And waaaay worse on the Road. 

I have confidence, but let’s see a game, where we can all say- hey, got the W and they freaking steamrolled those bums like the Contender they are!

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I'd rather Josh be better at the short and medium throws, like he is this year, than the long throws which are low opportunity/success plays.  It's the reason why his completion rate is 10% higher than last year and he's top-10 in adjusted completion rate.  But hopefully he gets the long ball back.

He has really improved his short passing game, which is primarily responsible for his higher completion percentage and more consistent drive yaradge success -  and his strength is the 20-25 yard range. That's 99.9% of the passing game for almost every QB (if not every QB). Would it be nice to hit some of those long passes? Of course. However, this fixation on the deep pass is getting a little silly.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

He has really improved his short passing game, which is primarily responsible for his higher completion percentage and more consistent drive yaradge success -  and his strength is the 20-25 yard range. That's 99.9% of the passing game for almost every QB (if not every QB). Would it be nice to hit some of those long passes? Of course. However, this fixation on the deep pass is getting a little silly.

I don't think it's silly, you want the opposing teams defense to at least respect that aspect, and come playoff time you might need that part of the passing game to actually work.