Virtually whole new starting offense

Lurker

Not sure this is thread-worthy but it strikes me as amazing that there will be 7-8 new starters on offense this year, including all but one skill position ( I guess Zay would make two if he sticks, although classifying him as skilled is a stretch IMO :doh:).

Has any playoff-caliber (we hope!) team ever had so much turnover going into a season?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Definitely worth pointing out.  

We return only Dawkins, DiMarco and JA in their same role on Offense.  Thats it.  

New LG

New C

New RG

New RT

New RB1

New RB2

New RB3

New TE1

New TE2

New TE3

New WR1

New Slot

Zay, Foster & McKenzie return but down the depth chart. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

This offense NEEDED an enema.

All the deadwood has been cleared (well, except Zay).

Absolutely.  But has this ever worked to this magnitude for any other team?   That's my question...

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

At the start of the season it was but it finished pretty strong.

Because, Allen ran for 100 yards a game.  The style of offense at the end of the year was unsustainable.  The efficiency was way down.  It was handoff on first No gain or loss.  Wait for Allen to make a play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Upon seeing this and thinking about the Shady move, the release makes sense. 

My GUESS is they realize this is still a “ rebuilding” year in terms of the O needing a year to really Gel. Shady is not the future and by next year, with the addition of some more O skill position players, we should be formidable on both sides of the ball.

• Like (+1) 6

29 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Has any playoff-caliber (we hope!) team ever had so much turnover going into a season?

Who knows when you look at the entire offensive starting positions. From a skills position perspective 20 some years ago the 1999 Rams team comes to mind. Faulk, Warner and Holt were all new starters to the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not off hand.  Jets?  49ers?

The Seatle Seahawks.  First 4 seasons under Carroll they had the highest turnover in the league.  The NO Saints under Payton same thing.  Turning a mediocre franchise into something more takes alot of new faces.

7 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The Seatle Seahawks.  First 4 seasons under Carroll they had the highest turnover in the league.  The NO Saints under Payton same thing.  Turning a mediocre franchise into something more takes alot of new faces.

In ONE season though.   That's where I'm coming up dry...

49 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Not sure this is thread-worthy but it strikes me as amazing that there will be 7-8 new starters on offense this year, including all but one skill position ( I guess Zay would make two if he sticks, although classifying him as skilled is a stretch IMO :doh:).

Not sure about it, but it’s upgrade at every spot

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

In ONE season though.   That's where I'm coming up dry...

In retrospect, I wonder if getting rid of Clay was a solid move.  Look at the insane gallery of guys they walked though since then---i think there have been 12 or 13.  None of those left have proven they area an offensive weapon at TE.

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Not sure about it, but it’s upgrade at every spot

TE too?

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

In retrospect, I wonder if getting rid of Clay was a solid move.  Look at the insane gallery of guys they walked though since then---i think there have been 12 or 13.  None of those left have proven they area an offensive weapon at TE.

TE too?

Fair TE is perhaps but not certain. Good catch. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Definitely worth pointing out.  

We return only Dawkins, DiMarco and JA in their same role on Offense.  Thats it.  

New LG

New C

New RG

New RT

New RB1

New RB2

New RB3

New TE1

New TE2

New TE3

New WR1

New Slot

Zay, Foster & McKenzie return but down the depth chart. 

That just LOOKS wrong! LOL

Gotta give them credit, they addressed that side of the ball! Now let’s hope it works! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

At the start of the season it was but it finished pretty strong.

A lot of that was Josh making it happen with his legs

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Is this thread the beginning of the Josh Allen excuse campaign?

Too many changes?  Not enough chance to form "chemistry"?  

So you've decided on Josh already. 

Don't be surprised if it doesn't all come together that quickly. I expect to see gradual improvement as the season progresses. I'm also still very much concerned about the O:, particularly the G position. Spain is the only good G on the roster unless they play Ford at RG. They basically signed an above avg C (Morse), an avg G (Spain) and drafted Ford. If Ford plays G, that will help the interior, but then Nsekhe will play RT and I don't think that's a great situation. Nsekhe is just a backup caliber player, IMO.

I'm very excited about both of our rookie TE's, though. In a couple years, we could be seeing an awful lot of those guys. I'm also really excited about Singletary. He must have looked a lot better in camp than he did in preseason for them to release McCoy. Singletary played well in the preseason, but he wasn't all that. Let's see how he does when the games count.

39 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

A lot of that was Josh making it happen with his legs

So you've decided on Josh already. 

By design...ran deep routes with no checkdoens giving him tons of space

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

Absolutely.  But has this ever worked to this magnitude for any other team?   That's my question...

I believe you have asked a very good question and since this thread isn’t a rant full of half cocked pot shots it may not get locked. Democracy and freedom of speech around here seem to be frowned upon. If you don’t Homer Up and toe the party line of OBD’s every move is grand, censorship steps in. 

This many new faces on one side of the ball doesn’t typically bode well. We shall see if Daboll can make sense of this group but I do believe it is a fair assessment to wonder if too many resources/attention has been allocated to defense. Speculation and hype surrounding Gore/Beasley/Morse is pie in the sky at this point. Until we see points/wins/rings this braintrust is still got plenty to prove. 

11 minutes ago, iinii said:

I believe you have asked a very good question and since this thread isn’t a rant full of half cocked pot shots it may not get locked. Democracy and freedom of speech around here seem to be frowned upon. If you don’t Homer Up and toe the party line of OBD’s every move is grand, censorship steps in. 

This many new faces on one side of the ball doesn’t typically bode well. We shall see if Daboll can make sense of this group but I do believe it is a fair assessment to wonder if too many resources/attention has been allocated to defense. Speculation and hype surrounding Gore/Beasley/Morse is pie in the sky at this point. Until we see points/wins/rings this braintrust is still got plenty to prove. 

By my count they brought in a minimum of nine O linemen to upgrade the O line and 4 TEs.  Plus the Gore/Beasley/Morse groupyou mention.

Rather than the stuff about democracy and that crap, perhaps you could explain why adding a veteran back going to the HOF, a veteran slot WR to give the young QB a short reliable target, and a quality C to anchor the new line is pie in the sky?

15 minutes ago, KayAdams said:

So far I count only 11 players remaining from last year:

QB Allen

QB Barkley

FB DiMarco

WR Jones

WR Foster

WR McKenzie

WR Phillips

TE Croom

T Dawkins

T McDermott

G Boettger

I love you Kay? ya know, because you're so insightful?

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

By my count they brought in a minimum of nine O linemen to upgrade the O line and 4 TEs.  Plus the Gore/Beasley/Morse groupyou mention.

Rather than the stuff about democracy and that crap, perhaps you could explain why adding a veteran back going to the HOF, a veteran slot WR to give the young QB a short reliable target, and a quality C to anchor the new line is pie in the sky?

Ever heard of one in the hand is worth two in the bush?

Just now, iinii said:

Ever heard of one in the hand is worth two in the bush?

So one Ducasse is worth Long and Feliciano?

One Benjamin is worth Beasley and Brown?

One Clay is worth the two rookie TEs?

This is your stance?  Seriously?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

So one Ducasse is worth Long and Feliciano?

One Benjamin is worth Beasley and Brown?

One Clay is worth the two rookie TEs?

This is your stance?  Seriously?

How about the old adage your are what your record says you are? What they have now is what is in the bush. These guys haven’t proven anything in a Bills’ uni. And you are only proving my point about how any thing that isn’t Rah Rah has to be wrong. So this is the “crap” you spoke of?

1 minute ago, iinii said:

How about the old adage your are what your record says you are? What they have now is what is in the bush. These guys haven’t proven anything in a Bills’ uni. And you are only proving my point about how any thing that isn’t Rah Rah has to be wrong. So this is the “crap” you spoke of?

The crap is about democracy and being able to post.  You’re doing so, no one is stopping you.  But if you want to post drivel people are going to challenge it.

Of course this team hasn’t proven anything for this season.  No team has yet.  I still find it amusing that a HOF guy in Gore is to you pie in the sky.  As with the other items I mentioned.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The crap is about democracy and being able to post.  You’re doing so, no one is stopping you.  But if you want to post drivel people are going to challenge it.

Of course this team hasn’t proven anything for this season.  No team has yet.  I still find it amusing that a HOF guy in Gore is to you pie in the sky.  As with the other items I mentioned.

You continue to prove my observations. I posited some things and you seem to believe since I appear not to agree I am full of drivel in your sanctimony.

3 minutes ago, iinii said:

You continue to prove my observations. I posited some things and you seem to believe since I appear not to agree I am full of drivel in your sanctimony.

The drivel is your claim that the site is undemocratic because you don’t get to post things without people challenging you.  That truly is drivel; people challenge stuff I and others post all the time and no one claims there is some assault on democracy.

Your other stuff on pie in the sky and that somehow having one lousy player from last year is better than two upgrades?  That’s just silly.

• Like (+1) 1