If Chad Kelly Was Ever Going to Make It

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

41 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He would not be in the league if not for Kelly’s connection with Reich.  Heel, he might not be on the Colts if Luck didn’t retire.  Does he have some talent? Sure but it’s completely overblown.  Not trying to be mean but by all accounts, he’s not a smart guy.  He makes terrible decisions.  He’s not super big or athletic.  And his arm is good but far from great. 

The Reich connection helps.   What I am saying is this, if Kelly didnt have NFL level athletic ability he wouldnt be there.    If it were as simple as him being Kelly's nephew every one of his nephews would be on an NFL roster.    He had enough talent to compete for a starting job in the NFL last year.  Then he blew it.    As much as his talent is overblown here, I think there is an underlying angst about him being Kelly's nephew which has some posters a bit cloudy about his actual football talent, which is obviously amongst the top one percent in the world given his current and former standing in the league.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/26/2019 at 8:36 AM, billsfan_34 said:

So sick of the “white privilege” bs. Give me a break- it is 2019. I can give a ton of examples but it just isn’t worth it. If we all just focused on being Americans, good citizens, and contributing to society we would have a little more harmony and a lot less crap.

Sounds great, but it still has to begin with eradicating racism, which sorry to say has made a huge comeback the past couple years. Maybe it just came back out of the closet but to deny it's resurgence is to deny reality.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

Sounds great, but it still has to begin with eradicating racism, which sorry to say has made a huge comeback the past couple years. Maybe it just came back out of the closet but to deny it's resurgence is to deny reality.

Racism sucks- and it happens all over America and within every culture/ethnicity racism exists towards another. I would say we are better now than 1937. Anyways, stuff like this really belongs in the politics section so I am going to gracefully bow out of this as I am here to talk football. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Sorry, but he doesn't keep getting opportunities because he is Jim's nephew with mediocre talent.   Jim has plenty of other nephews who played football at the college level and didnt make it to the NFL just because they were his nephew.   You dont get scholarships to two Division 1 programs just because you're a hall of famer's nephew.

Chad Kelly keeps getting opportunities because he has great talent.    Had he not been the head case you speak to, or been hurt during the draft process he probably ends up being a 3rd or 4th round pick.   He is tremendously talented.   Has he spoiled his talent, yes he has.  But make no mistake about it, he has NFL level talent.

Agree to disagree here.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You ducked the question.   I'll put it more straight.

If the Bills have 3 straight 11-5 seasons and 4 of the next seasons, go to the playoffs and win at least one game carried by their QB play, are you going to feel as though drafting Allen is something that didn't work out?

My take is that "suck for Luck" worked, the Colts failed to put enough of a team around him.  They were built to be "Manning, and a bunch of guys" and after they drafted Luck, they just tried to plug him in there rather than working hard enough to improve the team all around. 

Your take is "suck for Luck" worked, it just didn't work because they didn't build a team?

I'm not ducking the question, I'm ignoring it.  The above pathetic excuse for a rationalization is why.

5 hours ago, DC Tom said:

And how many Superbowls?

Zero because they decided to add skilled players with their top draft picks and free agency (Fleener, Hilton, Darius Howard Bey, Richardson, Moncrief) instead of fixing their o-line.  They finally get that straitened out with what looks to be an above average defense and he retires.  He could've easily won his first Super Bowl this year the same age Peyton Manning won his first.  They dug their own grave by having a lousy GM who exposed him to too many hits his first three years.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Your take is "suck for Luck" worked, it just didn't work because they didn't build a team?

I'm not ducking the question, I'm ignoring it.  The above pathetic excuse for a rationalization is why.

This is a question:

"If the Bills have 3 straight 11-5 seasons and go to the playoffs 4 of the next 6 seasons carried by their QB play, are you going to feel as though drafting Allen is something that didn't work out?"

This is a rationalization:
"I'm not ducking the question, I'm ignoring it.  The above pathetic excuse for a rationalization is why."

A rationalization is an excuse where a superficially logical explanation is used to avoid the true explanation.

Trying to deconstruct this, I'm thinking "pathetic excuse for a rationalization" must be an unsuccessful attempt to substitute a superficial explanation for the true one, thus an actual true explanation.  But I'm not sure, these double negatives are always so confusing!

5 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

The Reich connection helps.   What I am saying is this, if Kelly didnt have NFL level athletic ability he wouldnt be there.    If it were as simple as him being Kelly's nephew every one of his nephews would be on an NFL roster.    He had enough talent to compete for a starting job in the NFL last year.  Then he blew it.    As much as his talent is overblown here, I think there is an underlying angst about him being Kelly's nephew which has some posters a bit cloudy about his actual football talent, which is obviously amongst the top one percent in the world given his current and former standing in the league.

I think he is Johnny Manziel.  A guy with some ability in played in a gimmick offense with essentially one read.  He has a better arm than Manziel but it’s not that elite to overcome his short comings.   I don’t think without Jim Kelly being his uncle, he’s not given this second chance.  

I actually want to root for him but I have yet to find a positive story on him from Buffalo people.  

4 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Racism sucks- and it happens all over America and within every culture/ethnicity racism exists towards another. I would say we are better now than 1937. Anyways, stuff like this really belongs in the politics section so I am going to gracefully bow out of this as I am here to talk football. 

That’s fair but it seems recently, race stuff has taken major steps back (ethnicity should be the term to use). 

But as as others have said, this is more about Kelly being Jim’s uncle rather than his ethnicity, which is swag.

32 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think he is Johnny Manziel.  A guy with some ability in played in a gimmick offense with essentially one read.  He has a better arm than Manziel but it’s not that elite to overcome his short comings.   I don’t think without Jim Kelly being his uncle, he’s not given this second chance.  

I actually want to root for him but I have yet to find a positive story on him from Buffalo people.  

That’s fair but it seems recently, race stuff has taken major steps back (ethnicity should be the term to use). 

But as as others have said, this is more about Kelly being Jim’s uncle rather than his ethnicity, which is swag.

Eventually the Uncle thing will run out, if thats the case. Chad needs to keep his head on straight and play some good football or the Not For Long (NFL) will show him the door. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, scribo said:

Chad Kelly has been cut. Not sure why they held onto him through the suspension.

It cost them nothing, either financially or on their roster, as far as I know.  I can't see him making it to their practice squad.  Lots of QB needy teams lately.  The Jets might be the most logical.

On 9/4/2019 at 9:45 AM, FUTURIST said:

Chad Kelly has the tools of an NFL starter, except the head. That is a big exception.  If he gets his head together (possible but not likely) he will be in the league a long time.

Agree!

THIS is what I feel about Zay Jones as well.

• Haha (+1) 1