If Chad Kelly Was Ever Going to Make It

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

They are actually paying him above the ROSTER minimum to be on their PS.  Something good may come of that for him just to be there.  Culture thing and all.  He just may yet have an NFL career worth having.  Even if it's a mostly clipboard holder, that's a good job to have.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

7 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

They are actually paying him above the ROSTER minimum to be on their PS.  Something good may come of that for him just to be there.  Culture thing and all.  He just may yet have an NFL career worth having.  Even if it's a mostly clipboard holder, that's a good job to have.

It's a job that he doesn't deserve, nor has he earned it.

He's the Affluenza QB.

7 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Yeah, all that he needs is someone to give him a chance...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I choose not to throw stones because we all have glass somewhere in our homes.  Harsh takes that I do not share.  His screwups are well documented but he has had great successes at St. Joes, EMCC and Ol' Miss and usually those kind of successes earn a player opportunities at the next level.  He has managed to rehab two major knee injuries and one to his wrist.  He has earned his way on to an NFL payroll twice via two strong NFL training camp performances where started at the bottom of the depth chart and worked his way up.  

Earning and deserving are two subjective words that do not fit in an absolute manner, imo.  We all are entitled a chance to get as far as our talent and hard work can take us.  In Chad''s case he has shown some QB traits that are upper echelon and a history of outworking his competition in ways that made observers take notice.   Skeptical beat reporters for the Broncos and Colts were generally impressed by what he showed during the course of his two training camps and he managed to add energy to his teams in both circumstances.  In many ways, Chad's situation is not that much different than Duke's.

By the way, I doubt his family is that affluent if that is what was actually implied.  His dad worked/works for Wegman's and mom is/was a school teacher.  That seems pretty middle class to me.

In the end you either believe in grace and the possibility for redemption or you don't, I suppose.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I choose not to throw stones because we all have glass somewhere in our homes.  Harsh takes that I do not share.  His screwups are well documented but he has had great successes at St. Joes, EMCC and Ol' Miss and usually those kind of successes earn a player opportunities at the next level.  He has managed to rehab two major knee injuries and one to his wrist.  He has earned his way on to an NFL payroll twice via two strong NFL training camp performances where started at the bottom of the depth chart and worked his way up.  

Earning and deserving are two subjective words that do not fit in an absolute manner, imo.  We all are entitled a chance to get as far as our talent and hard work can take us.  In Chad''s case he has shown some QB traits that are upper echelon and a history of outworking his competition in ways that made observers take notice.   Skeptical beat reporters for the Broncos and Colts were generally impressed by what he showed during the course of his two training camps and he managed to add energy to his teams in both circumstances.  In many ways, Chad's situation is not that much different than Duke's.

By the way, I doubt his family is that affluent if that is what was actually implied.  His dad worked/works for Wegman's and mom is/was a school teacher.  That seems pretty middle class to me.

In the end you either believe in grace and the possibility for redemption or you don't, I suppose.

My issue with the bolded is that you are missing the two most important reasons that he keeps getting chances: last name and his uncle’s relationships. If his name was Chad Jones and his uncle was a welder he would have been out of the league a while ago. I don’t begrudge him for taking advantage of the situation but he’s been presented an opportunity and more chances than a regular person with the same resume/rap sheet would have.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

In Chad''s case he has shown some QB traits that are upper echelon and a history of outworking his competition in ways that made observers take notice.  

Are you kidding me?

• Haha (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My issue with the bolded is that you are missing the two most important reasons that he keeps getting chances: last name and his uncle’s relationships. If his name was Chad Jones and his uncle was a welder he would have been out of the league a while ago. I don’t begrudge him for taking advantage of the situation but he’s been presented an opportunity and more chances than a regular person with the same resume/rap sheet would have.

This view is flawed in that it is totally devoid of any of the other reasons why he'd get more chances.  He was not a pedestrian QB performer when on the field.  He was a championship level performer.  His last year at Ol' Miss ended with torn knee ligaments which also prevented him from playing in the Senior Bowl, plus a combine disinvitation and a then ruptured wrist tendon at his Pro Day workout.  That is as disastrous runup to the NFL Draft as you might ever see and what ultimately rendered him the Mr. Irrelevant draft slot. 

So, Jim made some calls to his buddies and got them to take a look at Chad.  Ultimately, he has performed very well in those team situations.  He started at the bottom of their depth charts and showed he belonged on the field and in the QB rooms.  He outperformed the competition.  He earned his spots.  This is not the case of the business owner's lazy, unqualified nephew getting a job in management over other more qualified employees.  It just isn't.

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Are you kidding me?

No joke.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

2 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

This view is flawed in that it is totally devoid of any of the other reasons why he'd get more chances.  He was not a pedestrian QB performer when on the field.  He was a championship level performer.  His last year at Ol' Miss ended with torn knee ligaments which also prevented him from playing in the Senior Bowl, plus a combine disinvitation and a then ruptured wrist tendon at his Pro Day workout.  That is as disastrous runup to the NFL Draft as you might ever see and what ultimately rendered him the Mr. Irrelevant draft slot. 

So, Jim made some calls to his buddies and got them to take a look at Chad.  Ultimately, he has performed very well in those team situations.  He started at the bottom of their depth charts and showed he belonged on the field and in the QB rooms.  He outperformed the competition.  He earned his spots.  This is not the case of the business owner's lazy, unqualified nephew getting a job in management over other more qualified employees.  It just isn't.

No joke.

Not flawed at all, he was the last pick in the draft. He has a laundry list of injuries and off the field incidents. His horrible decision making has been well-documented. If he wasn’t an idiot he probably would have been a mid-round pick. He’s not a “championship level QB.” That would require him to win championships.

He didn’t perform well in “team situations” either. He was at the team Halloween party and asked to leave. Chad proceeded to break into the home of a married woman and was beaten with a vacuum hose. He was released shortly thereafter. He’s, maybe a top 70 QB(ish) and has red flags galore. If his name was anything else he wouldn’t be around. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

If he didn't outplay Paxton Lynch and Philip Walker he'd be gone too.  Jim may have gotten them to take a look at him and give him a chance but he had to do something with it. I am sure Jim has lots of other nephews that share his last name that will never sniff the NFL.  Top 70ish is fair at this point.  I mean he has never actually played and sucked in a real NFL game as many in the top 70 have so he does have some undefined potential that others lack.  i think his athletic measureables are QB elite but we never got the combine type numbers.  He is probably in the 4.6s/40 range and his arm strength is near the top of the top.  He was throwing 70 yards as a 15 year old.  St Joe's and EMCC were state and national champs.  Missisippi  was a Sugar Bowl champ for the first time in over 4 decades which seems to be a big deal to them.  If circumstances ever allow him to have a stint as a starting Qb, I think he'll show really well.  Surprising well to most people.

The decision making thing is a fair point.  His past is littered with punkish behavioral issues but they seem to be largely left behind.  The Halloween Party is a largely untold story for some reason (something was being hushed up, imo) but there was no sign of forced entry at the home (the doors were supposedly locked so was he let in?) and did not display any malice toward the home owners or the arresting police.  I'd say he has shown a history of being quick to anger and impulsive actions and a need for some professional counseling which I  suspect the Colts may have insisted upon when they brought him in.

Practices, meetings, film study, actual games are what I consider team situations.  Von Miller's party is murky sideshow which involved many outsiders.

He was probably no worse than a day 2 pick without the injuries although that is not worth debating as it's unknowable.  Others with worse legal transgressions still went that high in recent drafts.

My biggest beef is that every time someone posts something positive about Chad's situation, the same cast of characters feel the need to take their shots again and again.So I feel the need to defend his talent, admire his determination to keep working, enjoy his style of QB play when he sees the field and wish him as much success as he can manage to achieve. He may have learned something along the way.

• Like (+1) 1

Wasn't it noted before that Denver picked him in the 7th after Elway talked with Kelly, and Kelly spoke to Reich before the Colts picked him up. It's too bad Kaepernick didn't have a HOF family member watching his back. If Kelly was as good as you say he is, even with some of the off field issues he would have more teams lining up to take a chance without Jimbo helping him out. He a borderline backup that's got a connection to keeping getting him chances.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

If he didn't outplay Paxton Lynch and Philip Walker he'd be gone too.  Jim may have gotten them to take a look at him and give him a chance but he had to do something with it. I am sure Jim has lots of other nephews that share his last name that will never sniff the NFL.  Top 70ish is fair at this point.  I mean he has never actually played and sucked in a real NFL game as many in the top 70 have so he does have some undefined potential that others lack.  i think his athletic measureables are QB elite but we never got the combine type numbers.  He is probably in the 4.6s/40 range and his arm strength is near the top of the top.  He was throwing 70 yards as a 15 year old.  St Joe's and EMCC were state and national champs.  Missisippi  was a Sugar Bowl champ for the first time in over 4 decades which seems to be a big deal to them.  If circumstances ever allow him to have a stint as a starting Qb, I think he'll show really well.  Surprising well to most people.

The decision making thing is a fair point.  His past is littered with punkish behavioral issues but they seem to be largely left behind.  The Halloween Party is a largely untold story for some reason (something was being hushed up, imo) but there was no sign of forced entry at the home (the doors were supposedly locked so was he let in?) and did not display any malice toward the home owners or the arresting police.  I'd say he has shown a history of being quick to anger and impulsive actions and a need for some professional counseling which I  suspect the Colts may have insisted upon when they brought him in.

Practices, meetings, film study, actual games are what I consider team situations.  Von Miller's party is murky sideshow which involved many outsiders.

He was probably no worse than a day 2 pick without the injuries although that is not worth debating as it's unknowable.  Others with worse legal transgressions still went that high in recent drafts.

My biggest beef is that every time someone posts something positive about Chad's situation, the same cast of characters feel the need to take their shots again and again.So I feel the need to defend his talent, admire his determination to keep working, enjoy his style of QB play when he sees the field and wish him as much success as he can manage to achieve. He may have learned something along the way.

He's been kicked off of a football team at every level because of personal conduct.  High School, College and NFL.

How many goddamn chances does he deserve?

As others have stated, the only reason he's still affiliated with an NFL team is because his uncle is Jim Kelly.  The only reason.

• Like (+1) 1