If Chad Kelly Was Ever Going to Make It

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

2 hours ago, ALF said:

Colts should keep all 3 QBs , even if Kelly has to go on the PS. 

I am of this opinion too. Reich is a good coach and he has surrounded Brissett with sufficient talent to succeed. However, Brissett and Hoyer combined aren’t as good as Luck and neither has shown an ability to lead a team to a championship, which was definitely the end goal prior to Luck’s retirement. I don’t think Chad’s their saviour, but I think he has as good a chance as any of the three

Edited by MiltonWaddams

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I am of this opinion too. Reich is a good coach and he has surrounded Brissett with sufficient talent to succeed. However, Brissett and Hoyer combined aren’t as good as Luck and neither has shown an ability to lead a team to a championship, which was definitely the end goal prior to Luck’s retirement. I don’t think Chad’s their saviour, but I think he has as good a chance as any of the three

Based on what?  Seriously?  What has Kelly ever come close to proving on the nfl?  How to get chased by a vacuum?

On 8/26/2019 at 8:36 AM, billsfan_34 said:

So sick of the “white privilege” bs. Give me a break- it is 2019. I can give a ton of examples but it just isn’t worth it. If we all just focused on being Americans, good citizens, and contributing to society we would have a little more harmony and a lot less crap.

I agree and in perfect world, it would be like this.  But whether you choose to believe it or not, life is different for everyone.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/26/2019 at 8:36 AM, billsfan_34 said:

So sick of the “white privilege” bs. Give me a break- it is 2019. I can give a ton of examples but it just isn’t worth it. If we all just focused on being Americans, good citizens, and contributing to society we would have a little more harmony and a lot less crap.

Chad Kelly is more "right connections" privilege.  He wouldn't be in the NFL without his uncle.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Based on what?  Seriously?  What has Kelly ever come close to proving on the nfl?  How to get chased by a vacuum?

Have you seen him play? Some people are good talent evaluators and others simply wont know if a player will be good until everyone else

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree and in perfect world, it would be like this.  But whether you choose to believe it or not, life is different for everyone.  

Some people can't accept reality being anything outside of what they personally experience or want to believe. There are plenty of white people out there who will be honest and say white privilege exists. All it is is people generally looking out for people who look like them over people who don't. I think its a natural human thing to do and often times happens on a subconscious level. You have to pretty much be intentional about it to NOT do it. Because a white person is pro white doesnt necessarily make them anti any other race.

On 8/25/2019 at 12:18 AM, DC Tom said:

Tank for Tua?

Because suck for Luck worked so damned well...  :lol:

3 straight 11-5 seasons his first 3 years.  WC, then Div, then Conference game.  It looked like it was working pretty well for a while there.  Looked like it might be back on track last year too, with Luck winning "Comeback Player of the Year", winning a WC playoff game and going to the divisional round.  4,593 passing yards, 39 touchdowns, and 15 interceptions.

4 playoff seasons in 6 years?   Wouldn't you be over the top if the Bills had that from their QB?  I would.

Of course, the Colts failed to protect their New Shiny.  Lacerated kidney and torn abdominal muscle in 2015 and the downhill slide started.

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I understand your take. Mine is based solely upon Ole Miss...which showed his ability but was, albeit, vs a lower quality of competition. In watching him in preseason, I was impressed by his poise and his accuracy. I was not impressed with Brissett at all. Just my take....

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Chad Kelly is more "right connections" privilege.  He wouldn't be in the NFL without his uncle.

This is a valid point. 

I looked at the list of released QB on cut-down day and was amazed at how many names I recognized - Anderson, Rypien, seems like there were 4 or 5.

"Right connections" definitely influence the chances a guy who is not elite at the college level may get.

Kelly is a mediocre talent, he's not even in the same stratosphere as Jim, he has a decent arm and the pedigree but that's pretty much where it stops. He can't read defenses and he's a mental case. I don't see what the fuss is about with this guy, he's given numerous opportunities and has failed at every level. I'm pretty sure if he wasn't related to Jim he would be an afterthought on these boards but people love nostalgia it seems.

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What are 3rd string QB’s that make rosters supposed to have proven in the NFL. Should they have led a team to a Super Bowl victory?

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I would say your assumption has some merit

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You are right, life is different.  As a nation our breaking down of barriers has certainly come a long way- we still can do better in the equality department. Rome wasn’t built in a day....

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Uh yeah? What is your point here? No one is promised the same exact life. Wouldn’t life be boring if everyone could only live the same life? No variation or variety. Everyone has different lives and live life differently. This just seems like a generic comment that means nothing at all. 

The US is the land of opportunity, not the land of everyone gets everything everyone else gets so that they can be equal in every way. That’s just nonsense. 

We we all agree on equality of opportunity, no one should be kept from obtaining something others can due to immutable characteristics. In today’s society there is no systemic racism, just bad actors that need to be weeded out. Where we don’t agree would be equality of outcome. Ie  no one gets preferential treatment or outright given things due to their immutable characteristics. 

I know I know, this comment is more for PPP so I will step off of the soap box. 

Chad Kelly has done nothing in this league and there is no reason to believe he will flourish anywhere, even with Uncle Reich.

Edited by HamSandwhich

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Kelly is a mediocre talent, he's not even in the same stratosphere as Jim, he has a decent arm and the pedigree but that's pretty much where it stops. He can't read defenses and he's a mental case. I don't see what the fuss is about with this guy, he's given numerous opportunities and has failed at every level. I'm pretty sure if he wasn't related to Jim he would be an afterthought on these boards but people love nostalgia it seems.

Sorry, but he doesn't keep getting opportunities because he is Jim's nephew with mediocre talent.   Jim has plenty of other nephews who played football at the college level and didnt make it to the NFL just because they were his nephew.   You dont get scholarships to two Division 1 programs just because you're a hall of famer's nephew.

Chad Kelly keeps getting opportunities because he has great talent.    Had he not been the head case you speak to, or been hurt during the draft process he probably ends up being a 3rd or 4th round pick.   He is tremendously talented.   Has he spoiled his talent, yes he has.  But make no mistake about it, he has NFL level talent.

I'll bring up Jameis Winston for the counterpoint to all the white privilege talk.  I think a credible allegation of rape trumps anything Chad has done (that we know of) and he still got taken #1 overall.  There are a bunch of other lesser instances involving Jameis prior to and since that draft so there is a patttern of bad behaviour related to him.  Imo, Chad is a better athlete than Jameis (or Jim) and he is 2 for 2 in ascending training camp rosters the last two years which is about all he could have proven in those circumstances.   When he gets a chance to compete on the field, he shows well, in almost every football related situation. 

I do not agree about the mediocre talent and field reads.  He knows where to go with the ball and his accuracy and arm are elite, not mediocre.  He will attempt risky throws as those with elite arm talent are prone to do.  If he ever gets a legit chance I think he'll prove that to be the case.  He has rehabbed from 3 major injuries and he works hard at his craft by all accounts.  The wrist tendon injury he got was liklely due to his overworking in preparation for his Pro Day.   The off field stuff is unnecessarily messy and he seems to have been working at cleaning it up.  We can't know now how successful he will be with that.

35 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Sorry, but he doesn't keep getting opportunities because he is Jim's nephew with mediocre talent.   Jim has plenty of other nephews who played football at the college level and didnt make it to the NFL just because they were his nephew.   You dont get scholarships to two Division 1 programs just because you're a hall of famer's nephew.

Chad Kelly keeps getting opportunities because he has great talent.    Had he not been the head case you speak to, or been hurt during the draft process he probably ends up being a 3rd or 4th round pick.   He is tremendously talented.   Has he spoiled his talent, yes he has.  But make no mistake about it, he has NFL level talent.

He would not be in the league if not for Kelly’s connection with Reich.  Heel, he might not be on the Colts if Luck didn’t retire.  Does he have some talent? Sure but it’s completely overblown.  Not trying to be mean but by all accounts, he’s not a smart guy.  He makes terrible decisions.  He’s not super big or athletic.  And his arm is good but far from great. 

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

3 straight 11-5 seasons his first 3 years.  WC, then Div, then Conference game.  It looked like it was working pretty well for a while there.  Looked like it might be back on track last year too, with Luck winning "Comeback Player of the Year", winning a WC playoff game and going to the divisional round.  4,593 passing yards, 39 touchdowns, and 15 interceptions.

4 playoff seasons in 6 years?   Wouldn't you be over the top if the Bills had that from their QB?  I would.

Of course, the Colts failed to protect their New Shiny.  Lacerated kidney and torn abdominal muscle in 2015 and the downhill slide started.

And how many Superbowls?

Not super big, I agree.  He is a shade under 6'2" but seems to be 220+ which is pretty solid.  I am curious about what you base the athletic and arm talent evaluations on.  The lack of a combine invite gives you some cover but there is plently of other evidence to suggest otherwise.  The Sports Science piece, dual threat status in the SEC,  the 4X pp&K championships.  He was throwing 70+ yds. as a 15 year old.  

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He would not be in the league if not for Kelly’s connection with Reich.  Heel, he might not be on the Colts if Luck didn’t retire.  Does he have some talent? Sure but it’s completely overblown.  Not trying to be mean but by all accounts, he’s not a smart guy.  He makes terrible decisions.  He’s not super big or athletic.  And his arm is good but far from great. 

14 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

And how many Superbowls?

You ducked the question.   I'll put it more straight.

If the Bills have 3 straight 11-5 seasons and 4 of the next seasons, go to the playoffs and win at least one game carried by their QB play, are you going to feel as though drafting Allen is something that didn't work out?

My take is that "suck for Luck" worked, the Colts failed to put enough of a team around him.  They were built to be "Manning, and a bunch of guys" and after they drafted Luck, they just tried to plug him in there rather than working hard enough to improve the team all around.