If Chad Kelly Was Ever Going to Make It

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'd probably take him over Davis Webb as a PS guy, although granted, that powerful entitled gene might just be too much to overcome here.

Good points.

I watched him in one of the Colts pre-season games and he looked fairly decent. Poised, lively arm, athletic enough to run one in from like 10 yds. IF (big if) he's found religion (figuratively speaking) and has gotten past being stupid (a daily battle for most of us), he could be worth trying to develop.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

Good points.

I watched him in one of the Colts pre-season games and he looked fairly decent. Poised, lively arm, athletic enough to run one in from like 10 yds. IF (big if) he's found religion (figuratively speaking) and has gotten past being stupid (a daily battle for most of us), he could be worth trying to develop.

I think it's clear that he has the arm and the pure talent. He probably did just as many dumb things as Uncle Jim. ;)  But Jimbo learned and changed before it was too late. Jury is still out on Chadwick.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I don't think they can waiver claim him to the PS; they can waiver claim him to their roster. Once he is actually on the Colts PS, after that he can probably choose not to be signed off to another team's roster. Regardless of "team situation" I cannot see a player choosing a PS spot over a roster spot, if only for financial reasons.

A player who is claimed on waivers has to report to the team that claims him.  If he clears waivers he can sign with any team's  practice squad.  Every practice squad player is technically a free agent, free to sign with any team that wants to put him on their 53.  Since he's already cleared waivers, he is not subject to a waiver claim again until he is on someone's 53 man roster.  If a player is approached by another team & offered a contract he has the option of staying on his team's practice squad rather than signing with the interested team.  This can happen in the case the player feels he has a future with his current team & feels the other team only wants him for a short period of time.   A good example would be if the Jets wanted a QB for this week to be the backup & instead of signing Fales as they did, they wanted some practice squad QB.  That QB might realize the Jets want him for 1 or 2 games until Darnold comes back & then he's gone.  In that case it makes more sense to stay on his team's practice squad rather than join the Jets & PO the team he feels he has a future with.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Doesn’t his actual game actions prove exactly otherwise? Has there been a level he hasn’t excelled at? Asking seriously because the only time I’ve seen his was pre-season Colts where he was head and shoulders their best QB and with Denver where he likely would have started eventually. I’ve also gazed at his college stats. 

I don't buy that he was their best QB in pre-season or that he would have started with Denver. I didn't particularly like him at Ole Miss either. If he was a choir boy he would face an uphill battle. Given that he is a major personality headache his chances of sticking are slim.