If Chad Kelly Was Ever Going to Make It

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

56 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

If he didn't outplay Paxton Lynch and Philip Walker he'd be gone too.  Jim may have gotten them to take a look at him and give him a chance but he had to do something with it. I am sure Jim has lots of other nephews that share his last name that will never sniff the NFL.  Top 70ish is fair at this point.  I mean he has never actually played and sucked in a real NFL game as many in the top 70 have so he does have some undefined potential that others lack.  i think his athletic measureables are QB elite but we never got the combine type numbers.  He is probably in the 4.6s/40 range and his arm strength is near the top of the top.  He was throwing 70 yards as a 15 year old.  St Joe's and EMCC were state and national champs.  Missisippi  was a Sugar Bowl champ for the first time in over 4 decades which seems to be a big deal to them.  If circumstances ever allow him to have a stint as a starting Qb, I think he'll show really well.  Surprising well to most people.

The decision making thing is a fair point.  His past is littered with punkish behavioral issues but they seem to be largely left behind.  The Halloween Party is a largely untold story for some reason (something was being hushed up, imo) but there was no sign of forced entry at the home (the doors were supposedly locked so was he let in?) and did not display any malice toward the home owners or the arresting police.  I'd say he has shown a history of being quick to anger and impulsive actions and a need for some professional counseling which I  suspect the Colts may have insisted upon when they brought him in.

Practices, meetings, film study, actual games are what I consider team situations.  Von Miller's party is murky sideshow which involved many outsiders.

He was probably no worse than a day 2 pick without the injuries although that is not worth debating as it's unknowable.  Others with worse legal transgressions still went that high in recent drafts.

My biggest beef is that every time someone posts something positive about Chad's situation, the same cast of characters feel the need to take their shots again and again.So I feel the need to defend his talent, admire his determination to keep working, enjoy his style of QB play when he sees the field and wish him as much success as he can manage to achieve. He may have learned something along the way.

Just to be clear I don’t think Chad Kelly is terrible. He’s better than some guys floating out there. With that being said a guy with his talent and checkered past would likely be out of the league if not for Jim’s relationships. He falls into the “juice isn’t worth the squeeze” category. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He's been kicked off of a football team at every level because of personal conduct.  High School, College and NFL.

How many goddamn chances does he deserve?

As others have stated, the only reason he's still affiliated with an NFL team is because his uncle is Jim Kelly.  The only reason.

If this is 100% true, then Jim should be able to do the same for Casey, Zac, Dylan and any of his other nephews that are currently playing college football.  He may have got the Colts to give Chad an invite to their rookie camp back in May but Chad had to take it from there.  So, that can't be the only reason.    I suppose Jim got Andrew Luck to retire too.

Just now, JESSEFEFFER said:

If this is 100% true, then Jim should be able to do the same for Casey, Zac, Dylan and any of his other nephews that are currently playing college football.  He may have got the Colts to give Chad an invite to their rookie camp back in May but Chad had to take it from there.  So, that can't be the only reason.    I suppose Jim got Andrew Luck to retire too.

You're being painfully simple.

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Just to be clear I don’t think Chad Kelly is terrible. He’s better than some guys floating out there. With that being said a guy with his talent and checkered past would likely be out of the league if not for Jim’s relationships. He falls into the “juice isn’t worth the squeeze” category. 

Ok.  But, the guys in the league with with domestic violence incidents in their pasts would seem to say otherwise.  Many like Duke's story and he has traveled a similar path.  Oh and Jameis Winston.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

9 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Ok.  But, the guys in the league with with domestic violence incidents in their pasts would seem to say otherwise.  Many like Duke's story and he has traveled a similar path.

Duke's past is nothing compared to Kelly's.  That's the second time you've made the comparison.  Duke got in trouble twice whilst in college and has been squeaky clean, ever since.

If you want to compare Kelly to someone, a more accurate comparison would be Johnny Manziel.  The only reason Manziel is out of the league and Kelly isn't is the difference in surname.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Duke's past is nothing compared to Kelly's.  That's the second time you've made the comparison.  Duke got in trouble twice whilst in college and has been squeaky clean, ever since.

If you want to compare Kelly to someone, a more accurate comparison would be Johnny Manziel.  The only reason Manziel is out of the league and Kelly isn't is the difference in surname.

Or maybe that Johnny Manziel actually played and failed in both the NFL and CFL.

57 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Ok.  But, the guys in the league with with domestic violence incidents in their pasts would seem to say otherwise.  Many like Duke's story and he has traveled a similar path.  Oh and Jameis Winston.

Jameis was the 1st overall pick. He will be given multiple chances. Duke was in the CFL and out of the league. He EARNED his way back. Chad has numerous incidents and poor decisions. The last pick in the draft doesn’t get the same amount of rope as the 1st pick in the draft. That’s the “juice not being worth the squeeze.” He has gotten the chances because of Elway and Reich being friends with Kelly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not flawed at all, he was the last pick in the draft. He has a laundry list of injuries and off the field incidents. His horrible decision making has been well-documented. If he wasn’t an idiot he probably would have been a mid-round pick. He’s not a “championship level QB.” That would require him to win championships.

He didn’t perform well in “team situations” either. He was at the team Halloween party and asked to leave. Chad proceeded to break into the home of a married woman and was beaten with a vacuum hose. He was released shortly thereafter. He’s, maybe a top 70 QB(ish) and has red flags galore. If his name was anything else he wouldn’t be around. 

He did not "break in".  They thought the door was locked and police found no sign of forced entry so they forgot.  This "break in" rather than "unlawful entry" is pushed by reporters and fans with agenda.

24 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He did not "break in".  They thought the door was locked and police found no sign of forced entry so they forgot.  This "break in" rather than "unlawful entry" is pushed by reporters and fans with agenda.

Got it, he didn’t break in because the door was unlocked. We are in agreement on the vacuum hose though correct?

https://youtu.be/NO82rh760l8

16 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

They are actually paying him above the ROSTER minimum to be on their PS.  Something good may come of that for him just to be there.  Culture thing and all.  He just may yet have an NFL career worth having.  Even if it's a mostly clipboard holder, that's a good job to have.

...oh but of course...and his uncle gave him 47 of these....SMH....

image.png.0193a2d27eaabe796c296e25da0a4a0a.png

6 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

If he didn't outplay Paxton Lynch and Philip Walker he'd be gone too.  Jim may have gotten them to take a look at him and give him a chance but he had to do something with it. I am sure Jim has lots of other nephews that share his last name that will never sniff the NFL.  Top 70ish is fair at this point.  I mean he has never actually played and sucked in a real NFL game as many in the top 70 have so he does have some undefined potential that others lack.  i think his athletic measureables are QB elite but we never got the combine type numbers.  He is probably in the 4.6s/40 range and his arm strength is near the top of the top.  He was throwing 70 yards as a 15 year old.  St Joe's and EMCC were state and national champs.  Missisippi  was a Sugar Bowl champ for the first time in over 4 decades which seems to be a big deal to them.  If circumstances ever allow him to have a stint as a starting Qb, I think he'll show really well.  Surprising well to most people.

The decision making thing is a fair point.  His past is littered with punkish behavioral issues but they seem to be largely left behind.  The Halloween Party is a largely untold story for some reason (something was being hushed up, imo) but there was no sign of forced entry at the home (the doors were supposedly locked so was he let in?) and did not display any malice toward the home owners or the arresting police.  I'd say he has shown a history of being quick to anger and impulsive actions and a need for some professional counseling which I  suspect the Colts may have insisted upon when they brought him in.

Practices, meetings, film study, actual games are what I consider team situations.  Von Miller's party is murky sideshow which involved many outsiders.

He was probably no worse than a day 2 pick without the injuries although that is not worth debating as it's unknowable.  Others with worse legal transgressions still went that high in recent drafts.

My biggest beef is that every time someone posts something positive about Chad's situation, the same cast of characters feel the need to take their shots again and again.So I feel the need to defend his talent, admire his determination to keep working, enjoy his style of QB play when he sees the field and wish him as much success as he can manage to achieve. He may have learned something along the way.

He also knocked off Alabama. I watched that game and he was super Chad. too bad about all his personal troubles.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

This^^^ young Kelly has screwed the pooch repeatedly, and is still around because of his uncle, not his own capacity, which he has shown to not have very much of. The Duke Williams comparison is enormously weak at best. One has become mature adult, the other, not so much.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2019 at 11:22 PM, Guest K-GunJimKelly12 said:

It would be in his uncle's offense with Frank Reich as the coach.  Chad probably grew up on that offense with Jimbo in his ear.  I am not a Chad hater.  I think he is an idiot, but when he gets on the football field something in there clicks.  It may be the only time it clicks but it does. 

I know it's pre-season but as Luck was breaking the hearts of all Colts fans, Kelly was going 16-21 209 yards 1 TD 1 Int, 2 carries for 34 yards tonight against the Bears.  He was impressive in pre-season for the Broncos and I thought when he wasn't injured, performed at a high level in college.  I'm calling it now, watch out for Chad Kelly this year.  Whatcha gonna do NFL when Chad Kelly and all his little Chadamaniacs run wild on you!

Will know a lot based on whether he gets elevated to the Colts 53 man roster (which I would suspect). If Jacoby is out a few weeks, I could see him getting time if Hoyer  struggles. Jacoby is cementing his place as starter, so it might be an interview for another team.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/25/2019 at 9:02 PM, Don Otreply said:

This^^^ young Kelly has screwed the pooch repeatedly, and is still around because of his uncle, not his own capacity, which he has shown to not have very much of. The Duke Williams comparison is enormously weak at best. One has become mature adult, the other, not so much.

Chad kelly IS NOT AROUND because Jim. That's an asinine assumption. He has great athletic ability and a big time arm

He's better than 95% of the QB3s in the league so he 100% is NFL material

People thinking he has a job because he's related to Jim Kelly's sperm is ridiculous

He is super talented and just a knuckle case... So was Jim

Not saying he's Jim's caliber but he is really talented

• Like (+1) 1