What Superstitions Do You Believe In?

Gugny

Today was a busy day.  Lots going on and the major things were time-sensitive.

First stop was Target to make a return.  We parked and when I got out of the car, I saw a penny on the ground.  Heads up.  I've always considered that good luck.

Go into Target.  No line at Customer Service.  I give her the item and the receipt.  She gives me the cash, no questions asked - and we're on our way.  Literally less than 5 minutes.

Next stop - Walmart.  Not a long list of stuff; maybe 15 items.  Find/get everything, no problem.  Go to checkout - no line.  Boom.  In and out in no time.

Next stop - guitar store to look at acoustic-electrics for Lil Gug.  They have the exact model he's looking for, but only in blue.  He played it; loved it; but we didn't buy it due to the color.  While he's playing, I get on reverb.com and find the same guitar, brand new, for a song.  I'll order it later.

Next stop - lunch.  New Way Lunch (awesome hot dogs since 1919).  No wait.  Hot waitress.  In and out.

Next stop - parents.  Nice visit.  Brought them hot dogs and pie.  Sister and her son were coming over.  Lil Gug can't stand the son.  We get our visit in and back home, missing their arrival.

I had two appointments today:  getting the carpet in the family room band room cleaned; and having a new dryer delivered.  They were both scheduled to come between 1:30-2:00.  Whilst at my parents, the carpet dude calls and says he's actually running early and could be there by 1:10.  He gets there as scheduled and does his thing.

As I'm paying him and he's leaving, Lowe's pulls up with the dryer.  They take the old one/install the new one and are on their way.

The day could not have gone more swimmingly.

And it was all because of the heads-up penny.

What superstitions do you believe???

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

First stop was Target to make a return.  We parked and when I got out of the car, I saw a penny on the ground.  Heads up.  I've always considered that good luck.

Go into Target.  No line at Customer Service.  I give her the item and the receipt.  She gives me the cash, no questions asked - and we're on our way.  Literally less than 5 minutes.

Next stop - Walmart.  Not a long list of stuff; maybe 15 items.  Find/get everything, no problem.  Go to checkout - no line.  Boom.  In and out in no time.

Next stop - guitar store to look at acoustic-electrics for Lil Gug.  They have the exact model he's looking for, but only in blue.  He played it; loved it; but we didn't buy it due to the color.  While he's playing, I get on reverb.com and find the same guitar, brand new, for a song.  I'll order it later.

Next stop - lunch.  New Way Lunch (awesome hot dogs since 1919).  No wait.  Hot waitress.  In and out.

Next stop - parents.  Nice visit.  Brought them hot dogs and pie.  Sister and her son were coming over.  Lil Gug can't stand the son.  We get our visit in and back home, missing their arrival.

I had two appointments today:  getting the carpet in the family room band room cleaned; and having a new dryer delivered.  They were both scheduled to come between 1:30-2:00.  Whilst at my parents, the carpet dude calls and says he's actually running early and could be there by 1:10.  He gets there as scheduled and does his thing.

As I'm paying him and he's leaving, Lowe's pulls up with the dryer.  They take the old one/install the new one and are on their way.

Maybe there is something to this penny after all.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I expect you then before every Bills and Mets game to search for a heads up penny 

• Like (+1) 1

i don't believe in any superstitions but i do engage in superstition related traditions

No chicken products on New Years (Chickens "scratch back" when they walk)

Pork on New Years Day (pigs "snout forward")

No meat on Ash Wednesday or Good Friday

Growing up these were always a thing on their respective days.  Then when I moved out, my Mom would always remind me and I would usually ignore it.  Then after my Mom died, I picked up the traditions because it was always important to her

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Only thing I can think of is that if I am talking about something happening in the future that I want to happen, I always say "knock on wood" and frantically look around for some, and physically knock on it when I find it.

• Like (+1) 2

My wife’s fam has always done no laundry on New Year’s Day, has to have collard Greens ? as part of the traditional meal same day, and the Christmas tree needs to be down before then...yes, it’s exhausting to keep up with it all sometimes, and I personally think it’s a bunch of hooey. But then again, I’m with @Nextmanup about the whole knock on wood thing, so what do I know?!

6 hours ago, /dev/null said:

i don't believe in any superstitions but i do engage in superstition related traditions

No chicken products on New Years (Chickens "scratch back" when they walk)

Pork on New Years Day (pigs "snout forward")

No meat on Ash Wednesday or Good Friday

Growing up these were always a thing on their respective days.  Then when I moved out, my Mom would always remind me and I would usually ignore it.  Then after my Mom died, I picked up the traditions because it was always important to her

We had the one... How you act on Christmas Eve is how you will act all coming year.  Not sure why that is not New Year's Eve?

Also:  Bury silver (silver dollar) in backyard on New Year's (if you can dig in frozen ground).  That way you will have money all year. /smh  Funny thing, my mom would forget where she buried the prior year's silver.  LoL... There's probably about 40 bucks (she passed away in 1999) around the house where we grew up... My Brother still owns it.  I should get a metal detector.

Oh... Just thinking of another one.  Cover mirrors in house between Noon & 3pm on Good Friday.  My grandmother, mother, and inlaws (inlaws still do it) did that..

15 hours ago, Gugny said:

No wait.  Hot waitress.  In and out.

You'd have better sustained success with the hot waitress(es) if there were a bit more in and out and waiting to let the anticipation build is something you should consider.  Sometimes more than your small tip is necessary too.

Edited by Cripple Creek
  • Haha (+1) 3

Getting pooped on by a bird is good luck.

Happened to me once in Toronto walking into a Jays game.  Saw an amazing game where Carlos Delgado won it in the bottom of the 9th with a walk off HR.  Then went to second city and had a fantastic time, then went to some random blues / jazz bar that was phenomenal.  After going back to the hotel and having another drink or two in my friends room I head off to bed.  Less than 5 mins later there is a knock on the door.  My friends friend that was a girl (not girlfriend) who I met just that day is at the door with a bottle of rum asking if I want to have a nitecap.  Suffice to say the visit was not all about the drink.  This is NOT the sort of thing that happens to me typically.

I've been running under birds hoping to get pooped on again ever since.

Edited by Mark80
  • Haha (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Happened to me once in Toronto walking into a Jays game.  Saw an amazing game where Carlos Delgado won it in the bottom of the 9th with a walk off HR.  Then went to second city and had a fantastic time, then went to some random blues / jazz bar that was phenomenal.  After going back to the hotel and having another drink or two in my friends room I head off to bed.  Less than 5 mins later there is a knock on the door.  My friends friend that was a girl (not girlfriend) who I met just that day is at the door with a bottle of rum asking if I want to have a nitecap.  Suffice to say the visit was not all about the drink.  This is NOT the sort of thing that happens to me typically.

I think I can safely speak for most people here and hope you get pooped on early and often!

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/2/2019 at 4:41 PM, Gugny said:

I take it you didn't play Powerball last night?

On 3/2/2019 at 4:47 PM, mead107 said:

I get a haircut and always seems like I win money.  

Any helpful hints from your "witness protection" barber?

8 hours ago, Mark80 said:

We were on a cruise many years ago and stopped for a day at the “private island”. It’s basically a beach day made more interesting by the constant pushing of the dangerous Coco Loco beverage. The beach is packed with a couple thousand lounge chairs and a few Coco Locos in I decide to go down and take a dip to cool off. As I come back out of the water I feel a hot stinging sensation on my chest. Not yet realizing what had happened, I immediately put my hand in it. I never saw the actual bird, but it must have been ENORMOUS! I stood there stunned, in front of a couple thousand witnesses for a second, before a 300 pound plus (and hysterical, I must admit) lady starts in. She witnessed the whole thing, and got everyone in earshot ROLLING in laughter. The Coco Locos got her going so loud and hard even I was laughing! 

I turned around, trudged back into the water and washed off. The rest of the day I was like a local legend, with people coming up to me with “you’re THAT guy, aren’t you?” Yep, I was that guy. 

But it’s the gift that keeps on giving! Last night (for some reason) we found ourselves meeting some childhood friends of my wife at a rodeo in Nashville. She has not seen these people in 20+ years. Within 10 minutes my wife is telling the story of the Coco Loco Splat....and all the other times I have been splatted over the years. I have a history with birds to the point that I should win the lottery without a ticket if it truly brings good luck. 

Edited by Augie

On 3/2/2019 at 7:06 PM, That's No Moon said:

Never, ever, EVER, step on the lines when entering or exiting a baseball diamond.

Just knock on the bat and youre good lol. 

Coach in high school was was really superstitious and lectured a teammate and i about this, neither of us ever heard about it. Next at bat my teammate hit a grand slam followed by me with a solo shot. Coach never brought it up again. 

On 3/2/2019 at 4:41 PM, Gugny said:

if it was that lucky Lil Gug would have made friendly with the cousin.  

I'll pick up a penny,  nickle, dime, $100 bill when I see it on the ground.  

I like Friday the 13th, I will walk under a ladder. I'll kick a black cat if it crosses my path 

BUT Come Sundays when the Bills are playing .........   

Flag(s) flying, jersey wearing, chips and salsa are there before game time.  Oh and don't say the game is won until the clock strikes ZERO 

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

if it was that lucky Lil Gug would have made friendly with the cousin.  

I'll pick up a penny,  nickle, dime, $100 bill when I see it on the ground.  

I like Friday the 13th, I will walk under a ladder. I'll kick a black cat if it crosses my path 

BUT Come Sundays when the Bills are playing .........   

Flag(s) flying, jersey wearing, chips and salsa are there before game time.  Oh and don't say the game is won until the clock strikes ZERO 

His cousin is a prick.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

so have him kick his ass once or twice (as long as he isn't that much younger / smaller) 

He's older and bigger than Lil Gug.  The kid makes me nervous.  I can't stand being in the same room as him.

On 3/2/2019 at 6:06 PM, That's No Moon said:

Never, ever, EVER, step on the lines when entering or exiting a baseball diamond.

I've noticted some players do the opposite, and make a point of stepping on the line coming out. 

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

And if you're gonna sing the Shout song, ONLY after a TD. Not a first down, not a sack, not an interception. Cheer, get excited, but save the Shout song for a TD.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

And if you're gonna sing the Shout song, ONLY after a TD. Not a first down, not a sack, not an interception. Cheer, get excited, but save the Shout song for a TD.

LOL 

After a TD BUT before the EP and after a Great Win. 

And I HATE it when the announcer says .....   hasn't been done against the Bills in 37 quarters .....