Forget Mahomes. The big miss was not hiring Frank Reich as head coach.

LTF

4 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Just out of curiosity, is there any thought that go into these OP’s? Not just this one, I’m  speaking generally. This board has become very unwieldy. 

Impose a $25 fee for every thread initiated.  If you get to 'page 3' without anyone calling out the OP or subject matter as stupid, you get your $25 back.  Moderators are given striped referee jerseys and rule on the validity of threads.  They also keep the $25 on threads ruled as 'unbecoming to such an august internet discussion forum as ours'.  ?

• Like (+1) 1

I bet Frank Reich never would have cut the punter... :ph34r:

4 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Just out of curiosity, is there any thought that go into these OP’s? Not just this one, I’m  speaking generally. This board has become very unwieldy. 

• Haha (+1) 1

"I personally like McDermott but feel he is not the answer. To me the clock started ticking on him and General Manager Brandon Beane in the preseason of this year. You see personnel depart and do well (Chris Hogan) elsewhere."

This part of the letter shows the stupidity of its writer.  1st off Hogan left when Ryan was the coach & Whaley was the GM, but the writer somehow blames it on McBean.  2nd, if a player goes from Tyrod Taylor to Tom Brady as his QB, odds are pretty good he's going to look like a better player playing with Brady.  

5 hours ago, LTF said:

Started the season 1-5 and now on a 5 game winning streak, with a 37-5 blowout of McDermott and the Bills included in that streak. The guy can coach. Why the Bills didn't bring this guy in to be their head coach is beyond me. Looking at their schedule it looks like he is heading to the playoffs in his first year and the Colts are going to be the team nobody wants to play. Great job Frank Reich.

Hiring a defense minded coach in the new NFL where offense is King is the biggest mistake made so far by the Pegulas.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/11/06/letter-bills-made-wrong-choice-by-not-hiring-frank-reich/

It almost reminds me of another coach that took his team to the playoffs in his first year ... With a much worse QB ...

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LTF said:

Started the season 1-5 and now on a 5 game winning streak, with a 37-5 blowout of McDermott and the Bills included in that streak. The guy can coach. Why the Bills didn't bring this guy in to be their head coach is beyond me. Looking at their schedule it looks like he is heading to the playoffs in his first year and the Colts are going to be the team nobody wants to play. Great job Frank Reich.

Hiring a defense minded coach in the new NFL where offense is King is the biggest mistake made so far by the Pegulas.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/11/06/letter-bills-made-wrong-choice-by-not-hiring-frank-reich/

This is a very interesting take.... Problem is when McDermott was hired, Reich was not the commodity he was after winning the SB.  I believe he was fired as OC in San Diego, and while respected, he was hardly considered a rising star fir a HC position.  I always thought he was a quality coach and I know from experience he’s a great person.  At least he was 20 years ago and I’m sure he still is

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LTF said:

If "offense is King" - then  don't you need a good defense to defeat the other team's kingly offense in order to win the game?

Someone needs to tell the Pats that having a defensive minded coach is a big mistake.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LTF said:

Like a previous post stated, it helps having Andrew Luck; time will tell! Me, sticking with McDermott in the long run!

21 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

This is a very interesting take.... Problem is when McDermott was hired, Reich was not the commodity he was after winning the SB.  I believe he was fired as OC in San Diego, and while respected, he was hardly considered a rising star fir a HC position.  I always thought he was a quality coach and I know from experience he’s a great person.  At least he was 20 years ago and I’m sure he still is

Exactly great post!

21 minutes ago, MJS said:

It almost reminds me of another coach that took his team to the playoffs in his first year ... With a much worse QB ...

Another great post - but you are departing from the hate McDermott/Beane mind set on this board!

6 hours ago, LTF said:

The Bills rarely do anything right and usually swing and miss....no sure why anyone is surprised by this

6 hours ago, LTF said:

Every time I see the Colts play it hurts my heart to see him on the sideline.

Not fair.

Ohh well...

1 hour ago, PaulieYayo said:

The Bills rarely do anything right and usually swing and miss....no sure why anyone is surprised by this

hindsight is 20-20...If Buffalo News had written this article 2 years ago at the time the Bills passed on Frank Reich, I would have given them credit. 

Anyways, the sample size for going 5-1 is too small to suddenly think that Reich is the next McVay

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

If "offense is King" - then  don't you need a good defense to defeat the other team's kingly offense in order to win the game?

Someone needs to tell the Pats that having a defensive minded coach is a big mistake.  

Not really, you just need an offence that can keep up and score just as much, with a defence you hope can be good enough to get a stop or 2 during the game so you can take the lead. There isnt a defence in the league that is going to be able to shut down or stop the Rams, Saints, or KC offences. They may be able to slow them down a bit, but those teams are going to score points. You just have to hope your defence is good enough to slow them down while your offence can keep up.

The Pat's biggest success came at a time when defences could still win you championships and they have a QB and offence that could score at will. They didnt need a top rated defence to win, and very few teams could beat them

8 hours ago, LTF said:

VQvyIQE.gif

9 hours ago, LTF said:

Forget Mahomes. The big miss was not hiring Frank Reich as head coach.

Knee-jerk reactions feel so good, don't they? But they also drastically raise your chances of being wrong.

We don't know yet whether there has been a miss.

In a couple of years we'll most likely finally have a clear picture of how good our present coach and QB are. At that point this discussion may or may not make any sense.

I do like Reich. But any coach with Luck at QB is going in with a huge advantage. At some point it may make sense to have this discussion.

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Not really, you just need an offence that can keep up and score just as much, with a defence you hope can be good enough to get a stop or 2 during the game so you can take the lead. There isnt a defence in the league that is going to be able to shut down or stop the Rams, Saints, or KC offences. They may be able to slow them down a bit, but those teams are going to score points. You just have to hope your defence is good enough to slow them down while your offence can keep up.

The Pat's biggest success came at a time when defences could still win you championships and they have a QB and offence that could score at will. They didnt need a top rated defence to win, and very few teams could beat them

Defences still absolutely make a difference.

And nobody can stop those offences? That's just wrong on the face of it. The Saints? The Ravens held them to 24 and the Browns held them to 21. The Vikes held them to 30, seven of which came on a pick-six, so the offence only scored 23. 

The Rams? The Broncos held them to 23 points. And the Pack held them to 29, of which two came on a safety and three came on a field goal on a 27 yard drive that started on the Green Bay 40 and went to the Green Bay 13. 

KC? The Cardinals allowed 26 points, and one of the field goals came on a drive that started on the Cardinals 38 yard line and went 11 yards to the 27 before the field goal. Their final TD came on a 31 yard drive following a Rosen INT. The Broncos only allowed them 27 points, with the final TD happening with only 1:39 left in the game.

These teams, like any offence, can be stopped. It's really hard to do, but it will get easier late in the year against the good teams in the cold.

And you don't have to go back far to find defences winning Super Bowls. As a matter of fact, in the last five years, the Super Bowl winning defences were higher-ranked, on the average, than the offences of those same teams.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t think so. While Reich has done a good job, he also has Andrew Luck who is seemingly healthy again. Besides, hiring Reich to coach the Bills would seem like clinging to the legacy of the ‘90s Bills. Just another move by Pegula to hire some relic of a bygone era from the franchise’s past. Regardless of one’s opinion of McDermott, it was a good idea to pass on Reich and look elsewhere. 

18 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Yes, my suggestion of the other day stands.  Change your screen name from 'LTF' to 'WTF'.

As for your prediction, you wouldn't want to bet $5000 on it, would you?  

Since you're so confident in the Chiefs, ill bet you 5k with 10:1 odds.  You probably know more about football so thats an easy 5 grand for you.  Lemme know!

Frank is the best and I actually root for the Colts now in neutral games.  McD broke the drought so I'm giving him a mulligan for 2018, seems like he has things back on track.  Maybe it took cutting ties with Peterman to get the urgency ramped up.