SportsCenter Anchor's Jab This A.M.?

H2o

Sitting here watching SC this morning and they were talking about the NFL trade deadline. They start rambling off who has been moved already and then start mentioning how "tanking" has never really been called such in the NFL, but you can see it with the moves teams make. They end the segment before switching to basketball saying something about, "Now is maybe where we could try and insert some moniker like 'Trust the process' or something,"  in a condescending tone. The female anchor says, "That's your segway to basketball? Really?" He could have been making a reference to the Sixers with their years of tanking or it could have been a half-jab at McDermott and his cold sore medication. I'm not sure really, but the football talk of tanking and then the McDermott slogan makes me think it was more in reference to the Bills. Am I mentioning this because it is something to get pissed about? No, not at all. Kind of funny though. 

Yea it is what it is. National media discredited the Bills this season and they were determined to prove them wrong. Turns out, the Bills have only substantiated these claims and have earned any criticism they receive. I take no offense to outsiders bashing McBean or the Bills as long as it is just. However, here are a few things that do bug me when people attack the Bills.

1) taking shots at the city of Buffalo

2) stereotyping and attacking the fans of the Bills

3) attacking a certain players’ character based on a bad performance/lack of talent.

Most other areas are fair game in my opinion. If you root for a historically bad team in the most famous sport in America, you have no grounds to be upset at others pointing out meaningful criticisms, even if it is in a joking/disrespectful manner. For those who do take offense, you should aim your anger at the root of the problem instead of those that point it out. 

I, for one, couldn’t care less what someone on Saturday morning Sportscenter says about this franchise. They are entitled to their opinion.

10 minutes ago, H2o said:

Sitting here watching SC this morning and they were talking about the NFL trade deadline. They start rambling off who has been moved already and then start mentioning how "tanking" has never really been called such in the NFL, but you can see it with the moves teams make. They end the segment before switching to basketball saying something about, "Now is maybe where we could try and insert some moniker like 'Trust the process' or something,"  in a condescending tone. The female anchor says, "That's your segway to basketball? Really?" He could have been making a reference to the Sixers with their years of tanking or it could have been a half-jab at McDermott and his cold sore medication. I'm not sure really, but the football talk of tanking and then the McDermott slogan makes me think it was more in reference to the Bills. Am I mentioning this because it is something to get pissed about? No, not at all. Kind of funny though. 

Very respectfully, H20, I think that is looking a little too Captain Queeg hard.

You know, as well, that whenever they make fun of us there is going to be no reason to veil it.

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Pretty sure it was about the sixers. Tbh not many people outside our fan base and Buffalo media know that McD says that a lot. 

The process is not just McDermott 

Last year before Cousins was traded he spoke a lot about process.  

You’d hear him say      

I’m a process oriented guy.

A lot

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Pretty sure it was about the sixers. Tbh not many people outside our fan base and Buffalo media know that McD says that a lot. 

Agreed. And it isn’t like Buffalo is the only place you hear it. It’s pretty common. 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Trust the process is the sixers thing. McDermott & co stole it. Outside of Bills fans though the whole country knows it as the sixers slogan. Their best player is even called “The Process.” I’m not sure anyone (outside of us) associates “trust the process” with the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Trust the process is the sixers thing. McDermott & co stole it. Outside of Bills fans though the whole country knows it as the sixers slogan. Their best player is even called “The Process.” I’m not sure anyone (outside of us) associates “trust the process” with the Bills. 

Bingo. This is likely more of a “many bills fans live in a buffalo sports bubble” than ”everyone’s actually out to get us” thing

• Like (+1) 2

Hmm...these kind of conversations are interesting but the bottom line is that you never know for sure in these "rebuilding" situations what is true. If McDermott builds a successful team in the next 2 years (assuming the owners give him that much time) than we will all be ranting about how his slow and steady process was genius. If they continue to falter, then we will say that it was all a crock and he was clueless. Building a winning franchise has so many variables (many outside of the coaches control) that it is impossible to say for certain whether someone's process is correct or not. Brady might has been a forgotten guy out of the league if the Bills or Jets had drafted him without a supporting cast.

7 minutes ago, Overdue Bill said:

Hmm...these kind of conversations are interesting but the bottom line is that you never know for sure in these "rebuilding" situations what is true. If McDermott builds a successful team in the next 2 years (assuming the owners give him that much time) than we will all be ranting about how his slow and steady process was genius. If they continue to falter, then we will say that it was all a crock and he was clueless. Building a winning franchise has so many variables (many outside of the coaches control) that it is impossible to say for certain whether someone's process is correct or not. Brady might has been a forgotten guy out of the league if the Bills or Jets had drafted him without a supporting cast.

The challenge is that if there are good 1-2 year plans rarely is the slow plan a good choice, right? Why would you ever hire the 5 year guy if there are 2 year turnarounds?

• Like (+1) 1

What is the purpose of tanking in the NFL anyway?  Just to get a high first round pick?  To get THE first pick?  To get a high pick in each round?

In the NHL, tanking could get you the first pick in a draft that gets you a top pick that could turn your team around.  Is that possible in the NFL?  Not sure, but would a team that picked a top 10 QB the prior year tank the following year?

I'm guessing that if the Bills indeed are tanking, that they will trade their high round 1 pick for a boat load of picks.  In the Bills situation, already having a QB of the future, it's the only reason they would tank, right?  A DT or OT or even a WR in the top 5 picks doesn't seem to make it worth tanking.

1 minute ago, PIZ said:

What is the purpose of tanking in the NFL anyway?  Just to get a high first round pick?  To get THE first pick?  To get a high pick in each round?

In the NHL, tanking could get you the first pick in a draft that gets you a top pick that could turn your team around.  Is that possible in the NFL?  Not sure, but would a team that picked a top 10 QB the prior year tank the following year?

I'm guessing that if the Bills indeed are tanking, that they will trade their high round 1 pick for a boat load of picks.  In the Bills situation, already having a QB of the future, it's the only reason they would tank, right?  A DT or OT or even a WR in the top 5 picks doesn't seem to make it worth tanking.

The answer is that a QB or pass rusher can change your franchise’s outlook. Look what Mahomes and Khalil Mack are doing. 

With that being said, it’s more about getting a ton of assets IMO. There isn’t a single NFL player that will be traded for 3 1sts but it’s been done for picks to get a QB. If you are really bad you can get good value in every round and get a boatload of picks.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

sounds like you have a severe case of PTSD and it's acting on you like a real B word.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The answer is that a QB or pass rusher can change your franchise’s outlook. Look what Mahomes and Khalil Mack are doing. 

With that being said, it’s more about getting a ton of assets IMO. There isn’t a single NFL player that will be traded for 3 1sts but it’s been done for picks to get a QB. If you are really bad you can get good value in every round and get a boatload of picks.

So, you would be thinking Bosa (or top pass rusher) or trade down in 2019 draft?  Is there any other game-changing pass rusher in this year's draft?

Just now, PIZ said:

So, you would be thinking Bosa (or top pass rusher) or trade down in 2019 draft?  Is there any other game-changing pass rusher in this year's draft?

That’s where I’d lean. There are some great pass rushers in this draft but he and Oliver (who is more like Donald) are the only 2 that I’d stay put for. If the Bills wind up with a top 2 or 3 pick and can get one of them I’d do it. Otherwise, I’d take the best offer to slide back. I’d still be tempted to go DL at 8 (or wherever they slide back to) because the value is so good. You could go other positions there though as well. I don’t think you can go anywhere but DL at the top of the draft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

See , living in the Carolina's now and I'm sure it's like this all over the country, as soon as anyone says something about the city of Buffalo people only know about the bad Bills and their history. So they paint the city dark and losers. No one knows about the great medical facilities , the people and other great history there. Maybe if the Sabres can do something n the near future it will lift the rep. up, but then again most people don't know much about hockey down here. They don't even know Carolina won a cup

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

sounds like you have a severe case of PTSD and it's acting on you like a real B word.

What in the actual f*** are you talking about? Sounds like you have severe case idiocy and can't come up with a rational thought. 

7 minutes ago, H2o said:

What in the actual f*** are you talking about? Sounds like you have severe case idiocy and can't come up with a rational thought. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t the guy trashing Mahomes and laughing at him because he had a bad first practice in training camp?

12 minutes ago, H2o said:

lol. settle down, Francis. it was a joke about paranoia 

paranoid.gif.8b5ec9b4a187ce336f04dc8c3503bfb6.gif

Edited by Foxx

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

People still watch Sports Center?

I’m guessing it’s ratings destroy another alternative.

Just now, stony said:

Damn, that's harsh putting Colin in the same sentence with Skip!

Top 10 of guys I want to punch haha.  That said, he isn’t a complete moron like Skip.  

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Bingo. This is likely more of a “many bills fans live in a buffalo sports bubble” than ”everyone’s actually out to get us” thing

Right. Most of the national media has no interest in or knowledge of the Bills. That's even more of a slight than cheap shots, but it's reality.

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t the guy trashing Mahomes and laughing at him because he had a bad first practice in training camp?

And I later explained that I started the thread to watch what would unfold afterward. That thread was for entertainment purposes. It didn't disappoint. 

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

And I later explained that I started the thread to watch what would unfold afterward. That thread was for entertainment purposes. It didn't disappoint. 

tenor.gif

4 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

You mean like phone apps that give you scores without having to listen to talking heads bloviating and trying to be funny?

It’s great background noise

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Haha (+1) 1