Here is why I'm not panicking...

Hebert19

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Wow, that's pretty impressive that a high school coach made the playoffs last year. Maybe that means there's even hope for you.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

9 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm not panicking. I'm just laughing at the high school coaches they have running this team. I don't have faith in them at all, but I'm not panicking.

Why would I panic? I've watched them do this my whole life lol.

I hope he drafts someone and talks about how he wants leaders of men or something stupid. What is the next dumb cliche he can come up with?

yeah we should be looking to the rest of the league, where the coachspeak is honest, straightforward, and most definitely not cliched. ?

9 hours ago, billspro said:

All I want to see this year is Allen grow enough to show he could be a franchise guy.

Agreed ,this year with Allen is all trial and error and any experience is good. Next year though he has to show true progress with hopefully improved weapons/line and the offense needs to be more in the middle.

45 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

You can't keep calling Allen "franchise guy" when he's dead last in every throwing category (all per game, not total, so missing games doesn't factor in). Yard per attempt ("Rocket arm") dead last, 20+ yard passes completed dead last, completion % dead last, TD % dead last, TD to INT ratio dead last, yards per game, he's dead last.

Right now we have a massive ? at QB, a coach that is so stubborn in playing a certain way (hello Jeff Fisher) who has managed to make the #1 rushing attack suck 2 straight years, and doesn't believe in explosive/speedy WRs, he'd rather have a giant lumbering idiots like KB. This is Goff gone badly if we don't make the right moves and right now I have 0 trust in McDefense to get anything right on offense. Speaking of defense, if the defense doesn't get turnovers, we get our doors blown off. We've lost by 20+ in 30% of the damn games we play with McTurnover so it's hard to feel good about this defense either. 

I felt so good going into this year but every single one of my worries is coming to fruition. I really thought the defense would be consistent. 

The best FA WRs next offseason don't hold a candle stick to the guys that were available this year and will go for more money because that's how ecomomics work. Tyrell Williams and Golden Tate are the headliners and will cost around 14-16 per.

Allen is learning. we know he's behind most others in that regard. not a ? though...it is Allen going forward.

if you felt good about this year, you have not been paying attention.

who is under panic?

i guess if you bet the farm on Derek Anderson...  :D

it's another year of embracing the suck of the same old Bills

and no serious end in sight, even if Brady retires the BIlls won't get half the wins of the Pats

10 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Why do people think since we have all that cap space it will turn this team around?  

I'll continue to say, Beane wants to build through the draft. He might make 1 or 2 high-priced free agent acquisitions this offseason, but I doubt anything beyond that. He wants to the cap space to resign his own guys that pan out. 

In the end, the free agency will be marked with a lot of short-term contracts, mostly 1-year contracts that might be a little bloated because an NFL team HAS to spend 90 percent of its cap space each other as part of the collective bargaining agreement. 

What I fear for McDermott is he is going to get fired just before this team gets good. He is going to do all the hard work of tearing down an aging roster, getting it young, and then being fired before someone else comes in and has success with his players. 

25 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

I'll continue to say, Beane wants to build through the draft. He might make 1 or 2 high-priced free agent acquisitions this offseason, but I doubt anything beyond that. He wants to the cap space to resign his own guys that pan out. 

In the end, the free agency will be marked with a lot of short-term contracts, mostly 1-year contracts that might be a little bloated because an NFL team HAS to spend 90 percent of its cap space each other as part of the collective bargaining agreement. 

What I fear for McDermott is he is going to get fired just before this team gets good. He is going to do all the hard work of tearing down an aging roster, getting it young, and then being fired before someone else comes in and has success with his players. 

I totally agree with you, I also believe the primary plan is to build through the draft and resign our own guys.  I also expect that Beane will use some of those lower round picks as ammo to move up in the earlier rounds. 

I never expected this season to be good so I'm not panicking either.  A few of the things I need to see going forward in order to be optimistic going into the offseason are improvement from Allen (especially in pocket presence), improvement from Edmunds, more consistency on defense and reduction of the stupid penalties. 

Edited by Maybe Someday
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Yes.  This team is a dumpster fire.  :) people want mcbeane gone.  But I think we are in better shape than most.  

1.  We have 10 draft picks next draft before we dump a player or 2 this week potentially.  

1st, 2nd, 3rd, two 4ths, two 5ths, 6th, two 7ths. 

2.  We have 80 million + in cap space next year.  

But we also have to convince FA's to come to Buffalo with bar-none the worst offense in the league in years and still no Franchise QB, a Coach with a sub 0.500 record. 

3.  We have what we think is our franchise QB and he's getting experience in his first year.  

Speaking of Franchise QB, Allen wasn't looking good in his 5 games, and now has a significant injury. It's up in the air whether he plays again this year. He was playing exactly like his Scouting Reports.  

4.  We have a very talented, very young Defense.  A couple pieces and they could be elite. 

Somewhat young. Kyle is 35, Lorenzo is 35, Hughes is 30, Star is 28, Trent Murphy, Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer are all 27. When you mean young you are really thinking of Edmunds, Milano, White and Johnson. Not the whole defense. 

5.  Beane's first draft was pretty solid.  Edmund's looks legit.  Johnson.  Legit.  Got their franchise guy (will see if he pans out) Phillips looks very solid as well. 

This will be the key to it all. Its how every team that has been a floor mat gets good. Through the Draft. The Bills we need to stack three great drafts together to build enough depth to withstand the season. 

6.  Draft or sign OL, WR, TE, CB and RB and we have 80M and 10 picks to do it.  

Looks to me like the rams from last year if Allen makes the jump next year. 

The Rams have one significant advantage. Sean McVay seemingly is a cutting edge Coach offensively. 

McDermott? He looks straight of the 1940's. 

11 hours ago, billspro said:

All I want to see this year is Allen grow enough to show he could be a franchise guy.

Yuss, 100%. He's made some great throws that definitely show you what he *can be* but, like any young QB, consistency will be the key. I'm sure he's more bummed than anyone that he has to sit out right now. Bad OL or not, no real receiving threats and a sputtering run game, kid loves to compete. Hopefully he can become the type of QB that elevates the play of those around him.

9 hours ago, iinii said:

They created the sandwich.

Putting Peterman back on the field was asinine.

I see

So NFL coaches dont ever make mistakes and should be fired immediately if they do.

This was ALWAYS going to be a down year....ppl knew that going in....now ppl are upset that it is actually happening.

Its called a rebiuld

• Like (+1) 1

I’m optimistic long term - I think they knew all along that this year would be the hardest of the rebuild given the dead cap, and geared almost all of their focus to the upcoming offseason.  They have to have a great draft and make solid FA moves for it to pay off - no guarantee.

Nothing will shock me, though.  They haven’t earned much in the way of benefit of the doubt, so it could all bust and we could be in for repeating the cycle that we know all too well at this point.

But I feel like they could do it.  I think it’s possible that we’ll be a very different team in a year - much better and contending for the division. 

I have more faith in Bean than McD right now, but hope that changes.

10 hours ago, K-9 said:

Here’s why I’m not panicking: 

It’s fricken football!

Just. Fricken. Football. 

If there’s a list of things not to panic about, especially because you have zero control over outcomes, football has got to be at or near the top. 

Post of the year, we have many who post on this board that really need to get a life and resist thinking the world hinges on the Buffalo Bills; figured that out back in the 1960's!

8 minutes ago, Jobot said:

The answer to this Topic should just say that you have an IQ within the top 90 percentile.

Don't worry, if you don't understand this statement you're probably also panicking about the Bills.

Awesome!

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I see

So NFL coaches dont ever make mistakes and should be fired immediately if they do.

This was ALWAYS going to be a down year....ppl knew that going in....now ppl are upset that it is actually happening.

Its called a rebiuld

Always a great perspective from the man in Riverside; great post!

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Augie said:

Here is why I’M not panicking:

1) all of the above

2) Panicking won’t change or make anything better. 

I’m also not whining, but just because that’s so unbecoming and pointless. 

Yes. Criticizing the team is always either whining or panicking.  Real men appreciate absolute incompetence. 

As far as the 2019 off-season goes, there are still 9 games left this year, and hopefully 7 of those are with Josh Allen under center. Trade deadline next week. Let's see if there is progress from Josh in the 2nd half. At that time I think we can all make a better assessment of how things will look into the 2019 off-season.

Just now, nedboy7 said:

You sound like Fox News. I’ll let you interpret that as you wish.  

You sound like my neighbor's kid that they cant get to shut the ($*4 up when she throws a temper tantum over something where she didnt get her way

Very annoying......but it is keeping aliens from invading the earth so I cannot complain

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You sound like my neighbor's kid that they cant get to shut the ($*4 up when she throws a temper tantum over something where she didnt get her way

Very annoying......but it is keeping aliens from invading the earth so I cannot complain

You are brilliant. Funny how you label anyone who doesn’t agree with you as a whiner or complainer. Then you tell me I’m not getting my way. You truly are Fox News. 

Edited by nedboy7

10 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Here is why you are mostly wrong

1. Most of those picks are on day 3 - so a hefty dose of Ray Ray and Proehl type talent - ie mostly special team bums, PS guys, and if you are lucky a Stevie Johnson.  Also both Beane and McD have traded up multiple times wasting valuable early round selections with the notable exception of tradig down to get White.

2. Many teams will have as much or more than the Bills.  I am not one of those guys that thinks players will not sign in Buffalo or that the Bills need to pay a premium.  But I also have no confidence in Beane to spend wisely.  Beane created the dead cap mess.  Star, Murphy, the guy that retired, Bodine, DiMarco(I know that was McD) are all horrible wastes of money

3. Agree

4. Have you seen the games against San Diego, Baltimore, and Indy?  And just because McD keeps saying they are young doesn;t make it so.  Hughes is the best defender this year and is pushing 30, KW will be gone, and Star, Murphy, Shaq, Poyer, Hyde, Lorax, and whatever DB is playing opposite White are not very young.  At best the core of the defense is average with a star 2nd year DB and a 20 year old MLB that is playing like he should have stayed in college.  

5. White is great. Dawkins is slighlty above average but wasted an additional pick. Zay has been mostly terrible.  Milano is hot and cold but better than I thought.  Beane's career will be decided by Allen. Edmund's looks far from legit and again wasted picks moving up.  Johnson sure looks like a good middle round pick.  Wouldn't it be nice to have had 4 more of those the last two years??? Phillips looks like KW. Doesn't play like him.  But DT is a very hard position to learn in NFL.  

6.  The OL is not a single player.  They need upgrades at C, RG, LG, and RT.  They need a #1 WR, a #1 TE, a #2 DB, and assuming they trade Shady a competent RB.  Add back-up QB, another S, and depth guys.  That is 8+ starters.  That will not happen in a single off-season.  Best case sceanrio they start to tank and a couple of the reserve O-linemen get playing time and look at least competent.

The Rams had far more talent before Goff turned his career around.  And so far, it does not appear McD can pick an OC worth a dam.  The last one destroyed a top 5 running game with a zone blocking scheme, Castillo appears clueless, and Daboll just sounds dumb.  Another Belichick castoff that has never produced outside of the shadow of his mentor.

I am somewhat more optimistic, but this is an example of a well-argued opinion that does not insult folks who think otherwise. Thanks for the effort.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't disagree with your assessment. There are just a couple dark clouds that are keeping me from being optimistic.

1) Very, very few of this FO's personnel moves on offense have panned out, which gives me pause despite the resources available to them.

2) The FA crop for WR is not very good. We will need to swing a trade to really make an impact there imo.

3 hours ago, dickleyjones said:

Allen is learning. we know he's behind most others in that regard. not a ? though...it is Allen going forward.

if you felt good about this year, you have not been paying attention.

I didn't feel good record wise, direction wise. Should've cleared that up.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I see

Its called a rebiuld

It is called a rebuild. Why does Yoda never rebuild? 

23 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yoda?

The mastermind in NE. Let me ask you this. 

Why does a defensive coach in an offense driven league weaken the side of the ball he is weakest in? He made the sandwich. The excuse of we ain’t been contenders because we are always drafting 9-12 is just that an excuse. When was the last time Belichick drafted above 20 and how often in the last 20?

12 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Not a sample size large enough to make that judgment, and offset by good additions in spots on the front end of this rebuild so jury is out

The jury is still out. History in the general since is what I am alluding to. And generally teams including the Bills overpay players who take the money and run. When you have lottery money my belief is that this only exponentially increases the likelihood of the former occurring. Thereby I am insinuating the probability of this happening next year is high. Go spend huge money on Clowney and watch him turn into Super Mario. 

12 minutes ago, iinii said:

The mastermind in NE. Let me ask you this. 

Why does a defensive coach in an offense driven league weaken the side of the ball he is weakest in? He made the sandwich. The excuse of we ain’t been contenders because we are always drafting 9-12 is just that an excuse. When was the last time Belichick drafted above 20 and how often in the last 20?

The jury is still out. History in the general since is what I am alluding to. And generally teams including the Bills overpay players who take the money and run. When you have lottery money my belief is that this only exponentially increases the likelihood of the former occurring. Thereby I am insinuating the probability of this happening next year is high. Go spend huge money on Clowney and watch him turn into Super Mario. 

Point taken. Hopefully the process yields demonstrable results with the amount of resources about to fall in their laps