LeSean McCoy at WR???

wppete

With our crappy O-line, this might be the only way Shady sees green grass.  But if he's going to be playing a lot at WR, he's got to learn all the adjustments that WRs are expected to make depending on the defensive alignment.  Shady is a smart guy but that's a whole lot of new stuff to learn while still keeping up with the game plan for the RBs.

I think it would be fun to watch and should improve Josh Allen's progress. McCoy could play 2nd WR and the slot. If NE can use little quick guys, imagine McCoy and that agility. It would open up the TE and cause extra game planning. Imagine a WR screen??? Bubble screen??? With the money he is making we need to use him more.

4 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Oh God, I just had a flashback -- OJ was a decoy and a WR..John Rauch = Wil E. Coyote, Genius

We got our OLine from the Acme Blocking Company. I don’t see what could possibly go wrong? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

John Rauch tried this with OJ.  He was fired!

The game is a little different in 2018. In 1972 the NFL leader had 62 catches. 38 guys had that last year. It was 52 guys in 2016. The game is not the same. Shady needs 20-25 touches a game. Do what you need to so that happens.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

Chan Gainey used to spread 4 receivers wide to take pressure off the O line.  Spiller had a good year running.  Also, put Shady wide to look for a mismatch against LB.  I know our receivers are terrible but this can take some of the pressure off Josh.

• Like (+1) 2

I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t give Shady more than 5 touches a game. I understand playing from behind and trying to pass the ball more, but if it means extending the drive more, why not run the ball? Take the pressure off Allen and let McCoy (the best player on offense) try and work some magic. 

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Why stop there?  Lets make Benjamin play running back too.

lets get things reallllyyyy ****ty 

1 hour ago, fansince88 said:

Heck, Put Peterman in as a TE too. Can we bring in Tebow and use him as a FB? How bout the flying V? Has anyone brought that up? Can Kaep Punt????

Guys, it's not unheard of to have a RB line up at WR now and then. Nobody is suggesting that he change positions entirely.

• Like (+1) 2

They just need to scheme ways to get Shady the ball in space. Screens, wheel routes, have the OL actually open up holes for him, whatever. Our best offensive weapon needs more touches. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FrankReichComeback#14 said:

Makes much more sense than having him at WR

Not necessarily if that’s what it takes. Teams ALWAYS split out RBs. Running backs got 574 targets lined up in the slot or wide last season. If Bell, Kamara, and Gurley are doing it why shouldn’t Shady? Get the ball in his hands 25 times a game and get him in space. This could absolutely be a way to get him out in the open. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not necessarily if that’s what it takes. Teams ALWAYS split out RBs. Running backs got 574 targets lined up in the slot or wide last season. If Bell, Kamara, and Gurley are doing it why shouldn’t Shady? Get the ball in his hands 25 times a game and get him in space. This could absolutely be a way to get him out in the open. 

Yeah he needs more touches

Just now, FrankReichComeback#14 said:

Yeah he needs more touches

I just don’t understand why anyone is against creative ways to get him touches? I don’t think dive plays behind this OL is the ideal way to do it. You can do some of that but you have to take a page from how the other top backs are used. Move him around and create mismatches. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

I've been saying this for awhile. We need to use Shady like the Chiefs use Tyreek Hill. Spread him out as a flanker, wr, and rb in motion. I thought DaBolt-Head was creative. 

Shady isn't as fast as Hill. You can use him as the slot receiver though. That could be interesting.

8 hours ago, wppete said:

Interesting article where McCoy has thought about playing WR. I would love to see that. Give Allen a theat. Start Ivory at RB, he looks good.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/03/lesean-mccoy-wide-receiver-running-back-buffalo-bills-offense/

can't hurt, he is at his best in space and this line can't block.

7 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

John Rauch tried this with OJ.  He was fired!

different eras

• Like (+1) 1

Not a bad idea. Here's what frustrates me...I hear good ideas here, strange ideas, creative ideas, and stuff that definitely should be tried out. We are all arm chair GM's and Coaches. These NFL guys make millions and the last innovative thing we've seen is the wildcat. We all have other jobs....they have football. When I'm watching a game with my wife and she's calling for a screen pass literally screaming at the TV....then in the third quarter they try the screen and it works, something is wrong with that picture. Here's an idea....use an app or Facebook to collect fans ideas....during the game. The only issue with that though is the Patriots will hack the idea flow somehow. The only innovation we've seen this year is Baltimore tinkering with Lamar..and even that experiment is a subtlety

Edited by The Process

Need to get Shady in space.  Hmmm, when did we hear that before?  It was when C.J. Spiller was here, before he got hurt.  Chan Gailey used to find ways to use him.  Cherck the old tapes and see if any of those plays might work.

He already lines up sometimes out wide but usually when they want to drag a LB out of the middle of the field.

I think we're really going to see Daboll's net worth to this team this Sunday.  We are relatively healthy, at home against a surprisingly hot team that is probably one big rain delay away from being 4-0 and seems to be getting slowly better.    

Also I disagree that the Oline sucks at run blocking.  Watch the film, even John Miller has some impressive pushes.   Dawk is obviously a top run blocking LT.  Khari Lee starting to get worked in for some power stuff.    Titans 3.5 favorites seems about right but that comes down to a single turnover in my book.

Plus Kbenjamin's agent and accountant called him yesterday and said dude you're going to be selling insurance next year instead of getting a long term deal from someone.

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

How would it be different than how they have been using him last year or the year before?  He had more target and catches than anyone on the team.

Would more would lining him up as a WR accomplish?

15 hours ago, wppete said:

Interesting article where McCoy has thought about playing WR. I would love to see that. Give Allen a theat. Start Ivory at RB, he looks good.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/03/lesean-mccoy-wide-receiver-running-back-buffalo-bills-offense/

I like this idea too--plays to his strengths of finding an open seam and winning some one-on-one battles as opposed to having to forge his own path at the line, which as we all know, is not his preferred style of play, and hasn't been going anywhere much this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Ray Finkel said:

Chan Gainey used to spread 4 receivers wide to take pressure off the O line.  Spiller had a good year running.  Also, put Shady wide to look for a mismatch against LB.  I know our receivers are terrible but this can take some of the pressure off Josh.

Gailey used a lot of 5 WR sets that spread the offense from sideline to sideline. Now you would think would make it easier for pass rushers to get to the QB but Gailey had Fitz at QB and Stevie Johnson as WR.

So Fitz would take the snap and throw a quick slant to SJ. Defenders didn't have time to respond and Johnson although not a precise route runner almost always managed to find a way to get open. This spread formation also made it great to run out of the shotgun and defenders would be so spread out all the RB had to do was beat one guy usually.

To run this offensive scheme the OC would have to do some innovative things and so far Daboll can't even give his best weapon on offense the ball. So far Allen has more rushing yards then both Shady and Ivory.  Ivory, 31 attempts, 81 yards in 4 games. McCoy, 21 attempts, 85 yards, 3 games. Allen has 116 yards rushing. 

To put it mildly so far Brian Daboll is by far the very worst offensive coordinator the Buffalo Bills has had as far back as I can remember. Even Alex Van Pelt and Turk Schonert were better. Buffalo is 31st in yards, 31st in points on offense. 32nd in passing yards, 32nd in passing TDs.

If you takeaway the Minnesota game with Buffalo 38 rushes for 122 yards, 2 TDs (and Allen scored both those rushing TDs) this offense is outright abysmal. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, H2o said:

They just need to scheme ways to get Shady the ball in space. Screens, wheel routes, have the OL actually open up holes for him, whatever. Our best offensive weapon needs more touches. 

it's a damn shame our best offensive weapon is an old RB.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

How would it be different than how they have been using him last year or the year before?  He had more target and catches than anyone on the team.

Would more would lining him up as a WR accomplish?

Potentially getting different match-up. They are struggling right now to get him touches. Maybe this will help? It certainly won’t make it worse. He’s the best pass catcher on the team (as sad as that sounds). 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Potentially getting different match-up. They are struggling right now to get him touches. Maybe this will help? It certainly won’t make it worse. He’s the best pass catcher on the team (as sad as that sounds). 

I think lining him up as WR in the slot or outside will make him less threatening as a WR, not more.  They should get him the touches as they have since he has been here.

Or they should find a legit NFL OC to get it done.  Or a HC with an offensive background.  It's 2018...

Edited by Mr. WEO

18 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

We need to use Shady like the Chiefs use Tyreek Hill. Spread him out as a flanker, wr, and rb in motion. I thought DaBolt-Head was creative. 

Plus one.

1 hour ago, vorpma said:

Not true, OJ was never used at WR and John Rauch was not fired for using OJ as a wide receiver. 

Agreed.