Nobody should be doubting Beane or McDermott

SoCoBills

These guys have a plan. Unfortunately though sometimes plans can be thrown off the rails by uncontrollable occurrences and even the best laid plans burn to ashes. 

When the Bills were scouting throughout 2017 they knew they were happy with their interior OL and they knew they wanted to get this team it’s new Franchise Quarterback while also trying to fill a massive hole at middle linebacker. The Bills made moves to make that happen. 

Unfortunately the first bomb fell and blew apart the process when Eric Wood’s post season diagnosis and resulting retirement came to be. Looking over the roster though the Bills felt decent about how Groy performed in his absence and brought in Bodine as insurance. OKAY, fine. Understandable. We still have Richie, a promising prospect in Dawkins and draft capital to add more pieces without mortgaging the future. 

Then another shock ripples through the plan and breaks it to pieces. Incognito literally loses his mind and renigs on his restructured deal all the way into retirement. Now what? At this point the Bills again, and wisely decided to stick to the plan. Draft your future at QB and draft your leader on defense who already looks like he has stardom in his future. If there is one villain in this story it is certainly Incognito but as he’s faded into the shadows of the Twitter-verse and out of relevance the blame fingers had to find somewhere else to point. 

Going into next year the Bills have young talent emerging, they have some draft capital and they have a heck of a lot of cap space being freed up to build a heck of a football team for years to come. 

Unfortunately this year could be painful. They couldn’t have planned for Richie to lose his mind and chose to stay the course rather than trying to compete on the FA market for replacements which could impact future cap plans/space. Sure there were some misfires - Davis appears to be one and the jury is still out on Star. 

The FA market right now isn’t exactly a shining beacon of light when it comes to offensive line talent. I don’t think they ever meant to phone in this season. I believe they very much so want to win but I also believe they see the big picture and if I had to guess they know that the Pegulas share their vision and are committed to them beyond this year. 

I believe Beane and McD are constantly evaluating & constantly looking to improve the team but not at the expense of the bigger picture. If we have Wood & Incognito I think we are worlds better than we are right now. I think that makes our offense immediately competent. It’s eye opening to discover exactly how important the big guys along the inside of your OL are when you don’t have any good ones isn’t it?

Edited by SoCoBills
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 4

They had plenty of time to adjust to the best 60% of the starting OL leaving. (not enough time left to scout is SO LAME)

Honestly, the OL was not good last year either (or the last 20 years for that matter).

Tyrod/McCoy made them LOOK serviceable because they were quick scramblers.

OL should have been majorly addressed. Been saying it for 20 years... but especially after losing those 3 guys. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Success said:

I agree that unexpectedly losing 2 key linemen was a big setback.  But it would have been nice to see more urgency there - we didn’t do much in the draft or FA to address.

not much in the way of affordable FA or draft to address.   I'd take Edmunds and Allen over a OL.   

Not much OL FA next year either.   Will be hitting that in the draft.  10 picks next year.   The two biggest positions might be addressed.  getting the OL iand pass rush in place is now a priority.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DougFlutie7 said:

Einstein?  I have two eyes!!  And their not lying to me. For anyone to say “Nobody should doubt McBeane” is a joke!  These guys haven’t done jack sh%t except luck into a playoff spot and build the worst roster in the NFL. DONT DOUBT THEM?!?!???  Lol.

Plenty of other teams to root for sir......can I pack your bags for you?

No

Then you are violating the TOS of this board......do you realize that?

• Like (+1) 2

While I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for another year or so, and the people who actually matter (Pegulas) will give them at least that, there are glaring concerns.

Most significant is the clear preference for players they are familiar with, a concern that the layman fan can clearly identify. Lotulelei had been considered to be on the decline by mainstream and statistically-oriented news organizations, including PFF, and looked to be done via the eye test. Benjamin's rookie year also appears to be a clear fluke, and it's concerning that personnel decisions appear to be made based on players' performance from years ago, when Beane was able to see them play well on a day-to-day basis.

As for the draft picks, I don't think Beane should have gone all-in with his accumulated capital to acquire Allen and Edmunds. The trade up for the former was seen as a complete overpay according to the value charts, and is a more glaring concern when you consider that Beane was willing to trade away from Mahomes' draft slot and then burn the acquired resources for his 2018 trade up. The team has glaring holes, and a better GM would have at least used some of the Edmunds picks on a more full roster (if he wanted to get his QB at all costs, fine; if he wanted to get his MLB at all costs, the move was wrong even if Edmunds turns into a Pro Bowler).

The neglect of the o-line and WR in this year's draft cannot be overstated. As for McDermott, his communication leaves a lot to be desired, and his game management skills/aggression are certainly not top tier. They deserve some time, but there are some significant concerns that lead me to believe these guys are not top-tier.

Einstein?  I have two eyes!!  And their not lying to me. For anyone to say “Nobody should doubt McBeane” is a joke!  These guys haven’t done jack sh%t except luck into a playoff spot and build the worst roster in the NFL. DONT DOUBT THEM?!?!???  Lol.

It appears OP suffers from excessive single-minded zeal... 

I’m not even going to bother with those incapable of showing proper respect or at least courtesy to other forum members. 

That said, I stand by my OP. I’m not claiming anyone is God’s Gift to football but I do like some of the young players. I think next year we will be competitive though not great and the year after we are a playoff team if they keep things rolling as they have been. 

Right now there are too many pieces to fill. McCoy won’t be here beyond next year IMO. The Bills will get some pieces via draft and FA. To score big on both Edmunds and Allen like I feel we have and to get a long term contributor in Phillips like I feel we have in one draft is phenomenal.

Also because there was a Tyrod mention. Tyrod had a very long time to throw last year before taking off. Tyrod doesn’t see the field and or doesn’t trust his eyes. He has so few turnovers because he rarely takes any chances and rarely throws the ball down the field. That’s why he rarely throws for over 150 yards in any game. Tyrod is serviceable as a backup or on teams that want to ground and pound and win with defense. IMO Cleveland wins week 1 over Pittsburgh if they have Baker in over Tyrod but now we are getting off topic. 

The Browns are a great example though. They are going the route of some of the better organizations. The Rams a few years back are another example. A team wins only a few games for one or two years. Gets building blocks for the future, stays the course and then the future is bright for the next decade. I see the Bills going in that direction right now, but hopefully with some more wins. 

Edited by SoCoBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, DougFlutie7 said:

NOBODY SHOULD EVER DOUBT BRANDON BEANE!!!!! Lol. Say that out loud to yourself and try not laughing. Embarrassing post. 

If I said “ever” I’d agree with you.  But after week 1 - during what is clearly a transitioning period with a new rookie QB on offense and a new rookie QB of the defense. Both of which thus far look really good. I don’t think that is wise. 

I find it embarrassing when people add words to posts as to change their meaning to make fake worthless points. 

Edited by SoCoBills

37 minutes ago, Chemical said:

What would it take for you to turn on either of them? I'm seriously asking.

A fair question. More than one week of poor football in year 2 of their tenure immediately after ending our 17 year playoff drought, that much is for sure.  

More specifically I’d say - Allen to show he’s a bust alone would be enough for me to turn on them. If Allen pans out then I’d have to start looking at how future cap space and draft capital is used. 

I understand people wanting desperately to win now but anyone who thought this was a playoff team by the time Wood and Incognito left were dilusional. What we are seeing now is blowout loss hysteria and nothing more. Between Allen, Edmunds and White we look to have potentially 3 perennial pro bowlers that could be the faces of this team for the next decade. I’m curious to see how much the roster can continue to grow in young talent next year. 

Do i I selfishly wish more would have been done to “win now” along the OL, sure I do. But I can understand from a business and big picture perspective why they chose to try and live with what we had for one year. 

Edited by SoCoBills

59 minutes ago, SoCoBills said:

These guys have a plan.

Mike Tyson: "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

Unfortunately, I do doubt these guys.  I gave them the benefit of the doubt for some time but not anymore.  I am not saying that they should be fired.  I think that the lack of continuity is one of the biggest problems that we have had and that it would be unfair to give guys less than two years or just two years.  Nevertheless, I have not been very impressed . . . and every time I hear McCoach reference his stolen catch phrase, I cringe.

I hope we can turn this thing around, but I have thought that this year was going to be long and painful given that (in my judgment) last year was combination of luck and a mirage and it has not gotten any better . . . as the game against the Ravens demonstrated.

At the end of the year, we shall see whether McBeane should be trusted to continue to helm the ship and select what could be a top five pick.

If there are a bunch of games like the Ravens game that completely embarrass the franchise, it could very well be that McCoach and Beane enter into GMTM territory and we all know how that ended up for GMTM.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Please explain (given our dead cap situation) what offensive linemen was available to help our situation.....I will wait.

Cordy Glenn

Richie Incognito

Seantrel Henderson

P.S. Our cap situation would be a whole bunch better if McBeane had not made some of the decisions that they made. 

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, SoCoBills said:

I’m not even going to bother with those incapable of showing proper respect or at least courtesy to other forum members. 

That said, I stand by my OP. I’m not claiming anyone is God’s Gift to football but I do like some of the young players. I think next year we will be competitive though not great and the year after we are a playoff team if they keep things rolling as they have been. 

Right now there are too many pieces to fill. McCoy won’t be here beyond next year IMO. The Bills will get some pieces via draft and FA. To score big on both Edmunds and Allen like I feel we have and to get a long term contributor in Phillips like I feel we have in one draft is phenomenal.

Also because there was a Tyrod mention. Tyrod had a very long time to throw last year before taking off. Tyrod doesn’t see the field and or doesn’t trust his eyes. He has so few turnovers because he rarely takes any chances and rarely throws the ball down the field. That’s why he rarely throws for over 150 yards in any game. Tyrod is serviceable as a backup or on teams that want to ground and pound and win with defense. IMO Cleveland wins week 1 over Pittsburgh if they have Baker in over Tyrod but now we are getting off topic. 

The Browns are a great example though. They are going the route of some of the better organizations. The Rams a few years back are another example. A team wins only a few games for one or two years. Gets building blocks for the future, stays the course and then the future is bright for the next decade. I see the Bills going in that direction right now, but hopefully with some more wins. 

Dude, the Browns are a TERRIBLE model. They have been basement-level horrible for forever--one of the worst runs in the history of modern US team sports. In Europe, they would have been relegated years ago and never made it back. Never say that again.

48 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

OP: “they got a plan.”

Me: Custer had a plan. 

You know dude....I have never really considered you some run of the mill troll here.....despite the negativiity I like your posts...they make me think for a minute before I respond.

Having said that.....I feel like McD and Beane are like the polar opposite of Custer....Custer was was a overconfident prick who was told that was told not to do what he did because he was going against superior numbers on their turf but did it anyway....the OPPOSITE of conservative.  If Custer was actually a McD and Beane thinker he would have lived.

No Beane and McD are conservative management that "kicked the can down the road on a few things instead of going for it".....definately deep thinkers.

There is definately a plan.....the first was to clear out the last management's trash......pretty much mission accomplished and this is the last year of it......and they gave us a playoff game in the process.

I really cannot fault them for what has happened so far.

• Like (+1) 1

Everybody knows you start with "D".  Rome built in a day?  Not!  After all the garbage leaders we have had over the years you can't be serious to be down on this new group of leaders.  Know it all's you are not.

Edited by Direhard Fan

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Dude, the Browns are a TERRIBLE model. They have been basement-level horrible for forever--one of the worst runs in the history of modern US team sports. In Europe, they would have been relegated years ago and never made it back. Never say that again.

Im not talking Browns historically. I’m talking transition from 0-16 last year to likely a playoff team or competing heavily for a playoff spot this year. Rams did something similar a couple years ago. 

Just now, SoCoBills said:

Im not talking Browns historically. I’m talking transition from 0-16 last year to likely a playoff team or competing heavily for a playoff spot this year. Rams did something similar a couple years ago. 

The Browns couldn't win a game in which they were +5 in tnurnovers. Since the browns re-entered the league in 1999, teams that are +5 in TOs are 132-4-1. Of those 4 losses, 2 are by the Browns. The one tie is of course the Browns too.

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Peter said:

Cordy Glenn

Richie Incognito

Seantrel Henderson

P.S. Our cap situation would be a whole bunch better if McBeane had not made some of the decisions that they made. 

Peter respectufully

Glenn had a lower body injury and you know as well as i do that is not a good sign for a line player.....I liked Cordy when healthy to

Richie....feel like we got out of that disaster at just the right time...would you not agree?

Henderson....another player with health issues that frankly was not that good when he WAS healthy

• Like (+1) 1

My mind is open about all the parties involved, but who traded a 3rd round pick last year for an injured and certified moron --  Benjamin -- who got a 7 on his Wonderlic and had the gall to publicly criticize Newton, who won the mvp the year Benjamin was injured??

Edited by dave mcbride

Not getting Bridgewater or Bradford in the off-season when you have an unproven rookie QB and a barely replacement level QB in Peterman was organizational malpractice. Coupled with wasting all that draft capital on Edmunds and Allen with a depleted roster is not smart way to build a team imo, but we will see

Beane is complete trash.  McDermott is good.

The best situation was Whaley and McDermott.  Absolutely ridiculous Beane was brought here.  This little egotistical troll can go back to Carolina.

It will take years to recover from the Beane mess.  It will be wise to get rid of him this year so the new GM can select his QB with first overall.

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The Browns couldn't win a game in which they were +5 in tnurnovers. Since the browns re-entered the league in 1999, teams that are +5 in TOs are 132-4-1. Of those 4 losses, 2 are by the Browns. The one tie is of course the Browns too.

Thats a Tyrod Taylor led offense for you. Like I said earlier - with that stellar defense if the Browns trot out Mayfield and he’s even half decent they will win a lot of games this year. Also - let’s not act like they didn’t earn those turnovers with Denzel Ward and Myles Garret both looking like super stars and let’s also not pretend that the Steelers aren’t one of the top teams in the AFC that they just went toe to toe with.