Carucci: Fixing footwork has allowed Josh Allen to make big strides with the Bills

YoloinOhio

Great article in TBN

https://buffalonews.com/2018/08/21/fixing-footwork-has-allowed-josh-allen-to-make-big-strides-with-the-bills/

Some may not have access so a couple excerpts: 

It started in January, in Dana Point, Calif., where Jordan Palmer trains current and future NFL quarterbacks.

The objective was to fix Josh Allen's footwork well enough to allow his many physical gifts — size, strength, athleticism and that cannon of an arm — to flourish to where there would be no doubt about him becoming a premium NFL draft pick in April.

"I had a problem with a long front step and that was causing my elbow to drop, and it was throwing off the entire sequence within the hip and the shoulder and the arm coming through," Allen told The Buffalo News this week. "So when I keep that steady and I can take a small front stride and get (the left foot) down, my lead step, as fast as possible, the ball comes out quicker, it comes out cleaner, my throwing motion is less violent and that equals more accurate balls."

Enter Palmer, a renowned QB guru whose students include Sam Darnold, Deshaun Watson, Blake Bortles, Sean Mannion, and Palmer's older brother, Carson, who had an accomplished NFL career. By choosing Palmer as his tutor, the Central California-born Allen wasn't merely looking for the convenience of someone relatively closeby. He was looking for the kind of results that could be worth millions of dollars.

After three months of intense, six-days-a-week, two-hours-per-day sessions with Palmer, Allen managed to convince the Buffalo Bills to make the necessary trades to move up to the seventh overall pick to select the former Wyoming star.

What I determined about Josh was, if you looked at his tape in college, his feet would be close together — closer than you want — and he was bouncing up on his toes. When you're bouncing up on your toes and your feet are eight to 10 inches apart, when you go to throw, you're going to go back down to put all your cleats in the ground, and then you're in a position where you're going to overstride. You're going to step with your left foot farther than you need to.

"That may sound like this little, tiny, cute detail, but it's actually super, super relevant because when you overstride, you can't do other things you need to do. It's going to make you lean, whether that's forward, backwards. If you lean to the side, that's going to drop your elbow down (and cause you to) throw sidearm. So because his feet were jacked, he kind of had a different drill every time. It's hard to be consistent."

When Palmer began working with Allen, he didn't force him into adopting conventional parameters that some quarterback coaches insist their students follow. For instance, Palmer doesn't think a QB's feet must be 16 inches apart or shoulder width or any specific distance.

Instead, the first thing he does with his clients is have them jump as high as possible multiple times, land, and look down.

"And I'll say, 'OK, that is your base. We're going to operate within a couple inches inside or outside of that base,'" Palmer said. "From there, I got to the root of the problem: his feet. He's overstriding. And I go, 'Well, why are you overstriding? Because your base is too narrow. You're putting yourself in a position where you have to overstride. So let's not fix the overstride, let's fix the base.' "

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 15
  • Thank you (+1) 12

Good read. I like the whole concept of having Allen jump up as high as he could a bunch of times and then look at his feet when he landed, and calling that his base.  That was an interesting approach

• Like (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

His completion rate so far is exactly what it was in college.

That's fine as long as his accuracy is better and his mechanics are improving.   I believe he will complete more passes with more accurate throws. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...great find Yolo......Palmer is yet another ex-QB that really likes this kid.............

He's also being paid by Allen, so he's not exactly impartial.     Still, the better Josh performs, the better advertising it is for Palmer...

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Good read. I like the whole concept of having Allen jump up as high as he could a bunch of times and then look at his feet when he landed, and calling that his base.  That was an interesting approach

I used to use that to determine a stance on a snowboard!

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

He's also being paid by Allen, so he's not exactly impartial.     Still, the better Josh performs, the better advertising it is for Palmer...

Results look good though.... No denying that

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Great article in TBN

https://buffalonews.com/2018/08/21/fixing-footwork-has-allowed-josh-allen-to-make-big-strides-with-the-bills/

Some may not have access so a couple excerpts: 

Dam you hope and optimism- get away from me!! 

I’ve been fooled so many times. 

• Haha (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If Josh Allen becomes a franchise QB and leads us to a Super Bowl victory (or victories), he needs to be on the Wall.

Scratch that, build a statue of Palmer working with Allen on his footwork.  

Palmer with hands on knees staring at Allen's landing spot, Allen suspended midair. I like it.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If Josh Allen becomes a franchise QB and leads us to a Super Bowl victory (or victories), he needs to be on the Wall.

Scratch that, build a statue of Palmer working with Allen on his footwork.  

On the Wall???

Stew Barber’s On the Wall, ferchristsake!

Multiple SBs rate Route #17, Josh Allen Expressway, Allen Park, Joshua Tree Resort! etc.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Palmer should have at least something named after him.  What about a small pond near Orchard Park?  Palmer's Pond?

maybe a wading pool at the stadium for young, restless kids..

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Jordan Palmer needs to be a QB coach on some team. 

If Allen continues to look as good as he does, Palmer s going to be in very high demand, he can coach multiple QBs and get paid a lot, lot of  money.  I recall Palmer interview talking about how great Allen could be, i thought it was self serving but everything he said seems to be coming true and more so.  Very impressive interview and the results so far back him up.

Blah blah blah, Palmer sucked as a QB!  Blah blah blah, Palmer is just going to get in the way of the Bills coach!  Blah blah blah, QBs can't possibly improve accuracy.

Glad to see some of these pre pre-season narratives starting to melt away.  I think the best part of that article is that is shows Allen is willing to work and listen to those that can help, to learn and correct his flaws.

Can't wait to see where we go from here! ?

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Jordan Palmer needs to be a QB coach on some team. 

He probably wouldn't want to take a pay cut to become any team's QB coach.

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Stop obfuscating with details and facts.

2 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Blah blah blah, Palmer sucked as a QB!  Blah blah blah, Palmer is just going to get in the way of the Bills coach!  Blah blah blah, QBs can't possibly improve accuracy.

Glad to see some of these pre pre-season narratives starting to melt away.  I think the best part of that article is that is shows Allen is willing to work and listen to those that can help, to learn and correct his flaws.

Can't wait to see where we go from here! ?

:thumbsup: And he's smart enough to take the lessons to heart and do the work required. 

• Like (+1) 2