Carucci: Fixing footwork has allowed Josh Allen to make big strides with the Bills

YoloinOhio

43 minutes ago, teef said:

heel, toe...heel, toe...heel, toe.

You have to admit, this is adorable.  Are you saying "awwwww" when you watch this?

Have to Pee

2 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

this is great to hear. I am loving Allen so far. Hope he starts.

When I glanced at this, I thought you said "I am loving Allen so much it hurts".

That's the way I feel about alcohol.

Just now, TheElectricCompany said:

Good for Allen, making strides is all you can ask for. 

I'm a bit skeptical though. His pre draft accuracy issues were well documented. You're telling me it was mainly footwork that caused it, and he fixed it in a summer? Doesn't pass the smell test. 

Normally I  would agree with your but so far it sure does pass the eye test.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I'm a bit skeptical though. His pre draft accuracy issues were well documented. You're telling me it was mainly footwork that caused it, and he fixed it in a summer? Doesn't pass the smell test. 

Maybe it's your nose that doesn't work

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Palmer was also the guy who was laughing at the supposed 60% and up completion percentage standard for doing well in the NFL.

He said Allen played two years and threw 650 balls and here's Josh Rosen throwing twice as many over a three year college career (his junior year was a sub 60% btw) in a completely different system, the few percentage points difference becomes statistically insignificant when you look at every throw and grade them out, which he did for all five top qb's. 

He likened it to saying the RB who has the highest yards per carry average is almost NEVER the most talented running back, because of the variables (Oline, strength of passing game, strength of schedule, running into a stacked box etc)

Well, either way, like all things in the NFL, we'll know for sure about Allen someday..............

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

It's going to take a larger body of work -- and against first team players -- before we have a better handle on his progress, IMO.   

It's fun to dream, but better to pump the breaks a bit with the 'he's fixed' talk.  Although if he has a good game Sunday, talk away...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

See this is the major flaw of analytics - it relies solely on the past to predict the future.  It can't take into account the impact of a coach identifying a flaw, or a player spending untold hours fixing it. 

Yup.  The "advanced stats" gurus don't allow for growth and development -- ironically, "advancement."

16 minutes ago, eball said:

Wow, talk about missing the point (and obviously not reading the article).

Not really interested in the article. The whole accuracy issue was a canard.

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Maybe he can go on to be a backup/insurance salesman like all the Bama QBs ?

Or a Rhodes Scholar finalist like Greg McElroy or a Hall of Famer like Joe Namath, Ken Stabler and Bart Starr.

Edited by Sky Diver

8 minutes ago, eball said:

Yup.  The "advanced stats" gurus don't allow for growth and development -- ironically, "advancement."

That is an inaccurate statement. There are several models that have attempted to quantify a prospects floor and ceiling in the NFL. See Qbase. 

Of course, the whole thing hinges on college football stats, so if you don't look good on paper, you're screwed. 

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

It's going to take a larger body of work -- and against first team players -- before we have a better handle on his progress, IMO.   

It's fun to dream, but better to pump the breaks a bit with the 'he's fixed' talk.  Although if he has a good game Sunday, talk away...

Sure, and when teams are playing to win, and not to evaluate, it becomes much more complex. 

We'll find out in 3 weeks just what we're working with. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

1 hour ago, Juice_32 said:

The Bills MVP this year might be Jordan Plamer, who'd have thunk it.

He seems like a great teacher. I'd imagine he will be a very busy man going into the 2019 draft.

If Allen has some sort of rookie of the year campaign, Palmer will be VERY VERY busy!!

18 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Or a Rhodes Scholar finalist like Greg McElroy or a Hall of Famer like Joe Namath, Ken Stabler and Bart Starr.

What do you mean it was a canard, it certainly wasn't, it was a bona-fide concern, if it wasn't he would have been pick #1, his athletic superiority to the other QBs was/is undeniable.

Warren Moon completed less than 50% of his passed in college. He/s now in the Hall of Fame.

Analytics is just a tool.

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

What do you mean it was a canard, it certainly wasn't, it was a bona-fide concern, if it wasn't he would have been pick #1, his athletic superiority to the other QBs was/is undeniable.

Way overblown by the analytics nuts most of whom have probably never even taken a basic stats course.

1 hour ago, Bring it said:

Awesome stuff! Apparently Allen is very coachable and learns quickly. That’s not much time to put it into his game even under pressure, so far. Kid has poise!!

I love the fact that he is confident and coachable.  Those traits can make a talented athlete an all-pro.  

• Like (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Bear Bryant was a far better coach. Integrity, honest and made men better people. Saban? Not so much, no..

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Bear Bryant was a far better coach. Integrity, honest and made men better people. Saban? Not so much, no..

If you ever get a chance, visit the Bear Bryant Museum on the UA campus. It only costs a buck or two to get in and it's interesting.

http://bryantmuseum.com/index.asp

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Like (+1) 2