Sam Darnold Officially Named NYJ Starting QB

Just now, 88what said:

Playing verse not playing as far as QB developement goes..   why not try and to speed that up ?   I would think starting day 1 would help a little, ya think?

I dont think its that simple. History has shown that there are varying results from both approaches. You have to take each situation into account, i.e., is there enough of a good support system around the rookie QB (O LINE mostly), is the coaching there, does the team have a solid defense, etc. In Allen's situation, I dont think so. At least not yet.

2 minutes ago, The Red King said:

This isn't just about Darnold and Allen.  It involves their respective O-lines as well, and those are far from equal.

The Jets offensive line is terrible too. I've seen them ranked below us frequently and they have given up their share of sacks in the pre-season. Does the whole AFC East even have a good o-line between them?

10 minutes ago, Stevie Ray said:

I dont think its that simple. History has shown that there are varying results from both approaches. You have to take each situation into account, i.e., is there enough of a good support system around the rookie QB (O LINE mostly), is the coaching there, does the team have a solid defense, etc. In Allen's situation, I dont think so. At least not yet.

huh? so when is the oline going to be good, 2 games in?, 5? next year, 2 years? It's the NFL lots of QBs are forced to play behind bad offensive lines.

Edited by greeneblitz

1 minute ago, greeneblitz said:

huh? so when is the oline going to be good, 2 games in?, 5? next year, 2 years? It's the NFL lots of QBs are forced to play behind bad offensive lines.

Really, lots of ROOKIE QBs are forced to play behind bad o lines? If thats what their Head Coaches decide, ok.

As far as when an oline is going to be good, depends on what moves the front office makes. Could be weeks, could be next season. My point is that a blanket decision to start a rookie QB Day 1 should not be made just because.

2 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

An offensive line can gel over the course of a season as this is a makeshift line being put together right now.  Four of our first top six opponents have arguably top 10 DL's.  Chargers, Vikings, Packers, and Texans.  Baltimore and Tennessee also have solid defenses on paper.  I'm usually for rookie QB's starting day 1, but this o-line is just so bad that I don't want him crippled his rookie year.

• Like (+1) 2

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Peterman lover and I think Allen is our long-term starter at QB.  That said, Peterman has had a great preseason and has shown himself to be more decisive.  He makes his reads and gets the ball out much more quickly than Allen at this point.  Given that this OL is not providing the QB much time, Peterman is the better choice to start right now.  Given more time, there is no doubt that Allen can make plays with his arm that Peterman and most other NFL QBs can't.  Assuming McCarron is healthy, I would make the same comparison.  Peterman makes his reads and gets the ball out much more quickly than McCarron.  I have not seen any of training camp, but what I have read is that McCarron is holding onto the ball too long.  I did see the first half of the Cleveland game, and McCarron was completely ineffective and unable to get the ball out quickly, just like Allen in the Cincy game.  When Peterman played with the 1s against Carolina (who I think has a decent front line and pressures the QB), Peterman got the ball out quickly and was successful.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

An offensive line can gel over the course of a season as this is a makeshift line being put together right now.  Four of our first top six opponents have arguably top 10 DL's.  Chargers, Vikings, Packers, and Texans.  Baltimore and Tennessee also have solid defenses on paper.  I'm usually for rookie QB's starting day 1, but this o-line is just so bad that I don't want him crippled his rookie year.

Good point.

56 minutes ago, 88what said:

Could be interesting to see a different approach to rookie qb’s....

..Jets have no bearing on McD.......already was written that the considerations are Cam vs McNabb start scenarios........"baptism by fire versus wait".....

3 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

I wish we traded up with the Giants and drafted Darnold.... His bust potential is way lower than Allen's. 

That Bowles is shifty fellow.
I thought he was serious about Josh McCown : )

4 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

I wish we traded up with the Giants and drafted Darnold.... His bust potential is way lower than Allen's. 

for shame

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Is Darnold somehow more “ ready “ to start than McClown ? Obviously , he’s not. 

How's their O line ..

37 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

What if Peterman is actually a franchise QB?

That would be something......would love to have 2 capable QB's.  Hope Allen turns into the franchise due to high draft pick but can't hurt to have 2.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

Yeah, totally disfunc... wait a minute... we’re the Bills!!!

:  ))

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Precisely my point. Allen won’t start because he’s “ more ready” than Peterman . Whenever that start is. 

Thank you. I had hoped that was your point !

You/we may be incorrect though.

But i do agree with you Boat.

Don't be influenced by whether Darnold or any of these other rookies starting.  Focus only on Allen. His strengths and weaknesses and give him some time. Start NP week 1 and allow our mediocre Oline every chance to improve. Go dumpster diving next week for OL help.  Maybe week 9-10 consider JA near ready. We have to protect this asset, even if it's at the expense of AJ or Nate getting hurt.

2 hours ago, 88what said:

Playing verse not playing as far as QB developement goes..   why not try and to speed that up ?   I would think starting day 1 would help a little, ya think?

Both choices work.

EX: Wentz

EX: Goff

17 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Peterman throwing the out route is keeps me up at night

After his off season conditioning program, I hear Peterman CAN throw that out route like a streaking missile.  He's just keeping it under wraps in pre-season.  Hear me now, and believe me later.

We all know that some rookie QBs can start and function well or at the very least function. The thing I don't know for sure is how much credit the QB gets in comparison to the coaching team and organization around him. I believe it matters a lot.

With as many picks as the Browns have had they should of struck gold at QB a few times by now. They just are a terrible football organization. People still believe they could pick a miracle will never get the wish until the entire organization is serious. 

I think Tom Brady benefits from the organization around him. His Coaching Staff recognized a cerebral guy that wasn't a natural athletic talent and picked him when he was just an afterthought. This is thier franchise QB people. So many rings it looks fixed man. They trade away Jimmy Goroppolo for cents and he is somebody else's franchise QB. That's how much the Patriots have it together. They are that confident in the cerebral game they run. 

In some ways it's a Nathan Peterman situation. You pick a guy with a great mind at the cost of body. Then you turn that kid into a fitness freak and hope he develops. 

You see Peterman in preseason and you know he can see the field really fast. You know he is cerebral.

You also know that arm strength is a factor and could spell doom. If McDermott is the coach I think he is then I believe intelligence is an important thing to him. He wouldn't leave a stone unturned due to bias. I see Peterman as a weak Tom Brady so flame on haters. 

I do believe I've seen the light turn on with Allen at times.  He already has the body of an NFL QB. The only question is how cerebral is he. I wouldn't even try to guess. It looked like to me he definitely can be. I think the reason Peterman is still on board is that a rookie QB can come in and soak up knowledge from him. 

The Jets getting a jump on us in any way is concerning. I've been kinda thinking the Jets looked good when they gave my Bills a curb stomp last season. I don't think they are a laughing stock anymore.

The time table on Allen is dependent on him and the organization around him. It's just the way it is. It's a complex puzzle and you need a lot of pieces to fit before you can see a picture of franchise QB form. 

Edited by Lfod

12 minutes ago, 88what said:

How one does one get better riding the pine? Many other quarterbacks do sit but is it because they aren’t physically developed? I don’t know if I can throw josh Allen in that category.

i'd say its because mentally they haven't developed yet for the pro game. Give it time, Allen will have his chance, and I'm sure it will be some time this season.

14 hours ago, Lfod said:

We all know that some rookie QBs can start and function well or at the very least function. The thing I don't know for sure is how much credit the QB gets in comparison to the coaching team and organization around him. I believe it matters a lot.

With as many picks as the Browns have had they should of struck gold at QB a few times by now. They just are a terrible football organization. People still believe they could pick a miracle will never get the wish until the entire organization is serious. 

I think Tom Brady benefits from the organization around him. His Coaching Staff recognized a cerebral guy that wasn't a natural athletic talent and picked him when he was just an afterthought. This is thier franchise QB people. So many rings it looks fixed man. They trade away Jimmy Goroppolo for cents and he is somebody else's franchise QB. That's how much the Patriots have it together. They are that confident in the cerebral game they run. 

In some ways it's a Nathan Peterman situation. You pick a guy with a great mind at the cost of body. Then you turn that kid into a fitness freak and hope he develops. 

You see Peterman in preseason and you know he can see the field really fast. You know he is cerebral.

You also know that arm strength is a factor and could spell doom. If McDermott is the coach I think he is then I believe intelligence is an important thing to him. He wouldn't leave a stone unturned due to bias. I see Peterman as a weak Tom Brady so flame on haters. 

I do believe I've seen the light turn on with Allen at times.  He already has the body of an NFL QB. The only question is how cerebral is he. I wouldn't even try to guess. It looked like to me he definitely can be. I think the reason Peterman is still on board is that a rookie QB can come in and soak up knowledge from him. 

The Jets getting a jump on us in any way is concerning. I've been kinda thinking the Jets looked good when they gave my Bills a curb stomp last season. I don't think they are a laughing stock anymore.

The time table on Allen is dependent on him and the organization around him. It's just the way it is. It's a complex puzzle and you need a lot of pieces to fit before you can see a picture of franchise QB form. 

Peterman is cerebral and is a weak Tom Brady?    Wow.  Talk about awful takes on QBs.  A cerebral QB does not chuck  the ball  to an area where he has no business throwing it to.    Peterman does a lot of this .  So that seems to disqualify immediately Peterman from the cerebral conversation.