We Learn A Lot About Allen When He Plays the Browns

Shaw66

It's an important game.  If he plays well he will still be in the mix to start the season.  

Hot seat was a poor choice of words, but it is an important preseason game for all of our QB's.  Next week is the all important dress rehearsal, so a good showing tomorrow will put someone in position to start that one. 

5 minutes ago, billspro said:

If you read between the lines. Everything McDermott and Beane have said points to Allen starting preseason game 3 if he plays well tomorrow night and starting opening day if he plays well in preseason week 3.

What have they said that leads you to believe that?

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Allen's on the hot seat against the Browns.   We find out something about how he handles pressure.

What pressure?    Well, like everyone, he wants to be a starter.   He's on a track that would permit him to be a starter.   He probably can't win the starting job against the Browns, but he definitely can lose it.  

Going into the first preseason game, he knew where he stood.   Beane said it - if he plays well enough, he'll get first and second team reps.   If he shows he's not ready, he'll stay with the third string.   The pressure was on, and he responded nicely.   He followed up with a good but not great showing in training camp, running with the 2s and occasionally with the 1s. 

Now it seems likely he'll play with the 2s against the Browns, and maybe first come into the game when some of the 1s are still on the field.   It will all be on the line.   If he plays well, it's quite possible he'll force McDermott to give him a shot by giving a lot of first team reps in practice next week.   Ideally, of course, you give your presumptive starter the first-team reps, because the third preseason game is typically the dress-rehearsal game - starters go the first half, maybe into the third quarter.   But if Allen is good enough against the Browns, McDermott either has to declare him the starter and give him ALL the first-team reps, or decide that he has a real competition going on with Allen and one of the other two.  Then he has to split the first-team reps in practice, split the time in the third preseason game and postpone the decision about the starter and the dress rehearsal to the fourth game.  

Allen isn't stupid.   He knows his shot at starting is on the line.   It will be interesting to see if he's up to the challenge.  

Agreed, but don’t discount McCarron. He’s a competitive guy and he’ll bring his A game.

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

What have they said that leads you to believe that?

I wouldn’t say it’s one thing they have said. Just a combination of observing how they handle the reps and listening to interviews. We will find out if I’m right if Allen has a good game with the twos.

Allen looked so incredibly calm in his first game in the NFL.  To me, that was the most impressive thing I saw.  No happy feet and it just seemed he was in control of the moment.  I watched every pass he threw 4 times and it was amazing how he calmly steps up in the pocket (4 times) and how he knows when to run (4 times, 2 would be sacks).  

I tallied 13 good passes with 2 drops out of 19 attempts.  3 first down throws and 2 first down runs.  

i think they will all have a good game. i don't think the rotation thing at qb is so much as to who starts the season,( i think they already have that planned out), but more so as to get and honest look at guys on the roster. particulary the offensive side where they can give guys a chance to perform behind all 3 and thereby giving them a total view of some skill position players.

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Allen looked so incredibly calm in his first game in the NFL.  To me, that was the most impressive thing I saw.  No happy feet and it just seemed he was in control of the moment.  I watched every pass he threw 4 times and it was amazing how he calmly steps up in the pocket (4 times) and how he knows when to run (4 times, 2 would be sacks).  

I tallied 13 good passes with 2 drops out of 19 attempts.  3 first down throws and 2 first down runs.  

but the running backwards thing and heaving it into traffic?....or taking that helmet to the chest? i'm sorry but this is about winning games starting week one and not week 6. he ain't ready.

8 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

but the running backwards thing and heaving it into traffic?....or taking that helmet to the chest? i'm sorry but this is about winning games starting week one and not week 6. he ain't ready.

Running backwards?  He was under immediate attack and got away.  He slipped when he spun away and then re-gained his footing in which time he should have thrown it away.  It was his only bad decision.  He may not be ready but it's not for those two weak things you mention.  Don't bore me with this is about winning week one as if Peterman and McCarron are inherently more ready to win.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

What don't we know?   You think he doesn't care if he's the starter this season?

Or do you think whether he's the starter this season DOESN'T depend on how he plays tomorrow night?

I think both points are beyond doubt.  

Of course Allen wants to start. And I’m sure he’s putting pressure on himself to earn the job as quickly as possible. That doesn't mean there is any external pressure on him to be the starter right away. That’s what “hotseat” implies. 

I mean, he may be on YOUR hotseat; you may be one of the innumerable people here that has unreasonable expectations for this kid right away. But Allen isn’t on THE hotseat, meaning the people that matter (his coaches, teammates, the GM) aren’t expecting him to be lights out right away and run away with the job.

Edited by JoPar_v2

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Allen's on the hot seat against the Browns.   We find out something about how he handles pressure.

The problem is, I expect him to be running for his life all night due to extensive blitzing by the Browns, making it hard to judge his progress.   

With it being a nationally televised game, Gregg-o is going to want to show off and get a bunch of sacks against second and third sting OL who've not game planned for it.    It will make the national media say "What a genius!" and "Look, Allen's a bust!" which is a win-win from their perspective...

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, cd1 said:

Essentially, I think Shaw is saying that we will get to see how Allen plays under (his own) pressure.

Allen knows that THIS is the chance that Beane and McD spoke of IF he played well in preseason ONE.

McD and Beane are NOT putting pressure on the kid!  They say they will bring him along SLOWLY.

ALLEN will be playing tomorrow night under HIS OWN PRESSURE.

Less is more, a silent hammer.

great cliff notes ? 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

The problem is, I expect him to be running for his life all night due to extensive blitzing by the Browns, making it hard to judge his progress.   

With it being a nationally televised game, Gregg-o is going to want to show off and get a bunch of sacks against second and third sting OL who've not game planned for it.    It will make the national media say "What a genius!" and "Look, Allen's a bust!" which is a win-win from their perspective...

This is a great point and probably the most accurate prediction that has ever been posted here. Gregggg will definitely try to do this, in between mugging for the hard knocks cameras and trying to score more free ****.

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

As I said, it means A LOT to him.   His chance to start this season depends on his play tomorrow night.  

I disagree, he’s doenst care if he’s the week 1 starter.  He’s focused on being the best he can be, learning and trusting the coaches on when he is ready.  Allen at no point has ever once referenced being the starter, preparing to be the starter, etc.  his only focus is on getting better each day and not on how to move up to the top of the depth chart.  

So I just don’t agree with your assessment of what his focus is on.  It’s his 2nd showing, pressure is going to be on because he just wants to keep playing better than the week before, not because he is  worried about winning the starting job.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I disagree, he’s doenst care if he’s the week 1 starter.  He’s focused on being the best he can be, learning and trusting the coaches on when he is ready.  Allen at no point has ever once referenced being the starter, preparing to be the starter, etc.  his only focus is on getting better each day and not on how to move up to the top of the depth chart.  

So I just don’t agree with your assessment of what his focus is on.  It’s his 2nd showing, pressure is going to be on because he just wants to keep playing better than the week before, not because he is  worried about winning the starting job.

I kind of want him to be wanting to be the starter though. He is saying all the right things but inside I want him to be desperate to beat these guys out and prove he is the man. It isn't vital that he is the starter week 1.... but I think he should want to prove that he is. 

Like it or not the media will proclaim who is the better QB drafted after seeing Mayfield and Allen in the same game.  Just like the announcers got a chubby when Barkley ripped his first run in an NFL game.....the learning curve is way different for every rookie so let's relax and enjoy the show!

I think "hot seat" was probably not the best choice of words to describe Allen's situation.  I'd characterize it more as an "opportunity" to show the coaches he's ready for more responsibility.  I agree with @Shaw66 that we can reasonably conclude Allen would really like to be the starting QB sooner rather than later, but I also think Allen understands there's a lot he doesn't know yet and is willing to be patient if that's the decision the coaches make.  He has the chance to make that decision a lot more difficult with the decisions he makes tonight.

The "pressure" is much greater on McCarron and Peterman, in my opinion.

I think OP is right when he suggests that if Allen plays well again v the Browns then he starts next week and if he plays well again with the 1st team in the most important pre-season game then he probably wins the starting job. 

First thing's first he needs to show out tonight v the Browns and then we'll re-assess again.

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Have the other two QB's referenced being the starter?  Nope.  

Why?

It's because our head coach teaches not to say much to the media.  He preaches,  I'll communicate to you openly and you can back to me.  No need to put things outside the team.   They trust him and none of them are making claims.  

I find it impossible to believe Allen doesn't want to and doesn't care if he's the starter,  as you state as fact.  

15 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I'd be shocked if he starts game 1 of regular season (barring injuries to other 2 guys.)  He needs some time, he was thought of as a guys with huge potential, but also a guy who needed some coaching, you don't throw a guy like that in on day 1.

Normally yes,but if he straight up out performs the other 2 QBs from here on out the rest of the way, then I believe you don't have much choice.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I kind of want him to be wanting to be the starter though. He is saying all the right things but inside I want him to be desperate to beat these guys out and prove he is the man. It isn't vital that he is the starter week 1.... but I think he should want to prove that he is. 

I’m not doubting he wants to be the starter, I am just saying I don’t believe he is feeling pressure to make it happen by week 1 nor is that pressure going to be something he shoulders tonight.  

12 hours ago, Lurker said:

11 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

This is a great point and probably the most accurate prediction that has ever been posted here. Gregggg will definitely try to do this, in between mugging for the hard knocks cameras and trying to score more free ****.

Most rookie QBs get blitzed a lot.

JA needs to see it in preseason because he will see it a lot when he finally starts.

I hope that Daboll is prepared for this possibility and has proper plays for JA to succeed.

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’m not doubting he wants to be the starter, I am just saying I don’t believe he is feeling pressure to make it happen by week 1 nor is that pressure going to be something he shoulders tonight.  

I don't know.  I don't think he thinks about it any differently than I would if I were 22 and playing some sport in college.   I'd want to start.   I'd really want to start.   I wouldn't be thinking "maybe I'm not good enough to start right now."   I'd be thinking "I want to start."

And then I'd be looking at the situation and recognize that in most circumstances the coaches will be deciding this weekend who's starting in game 3 of preseason, and that guy will be the presumptive starter when the season opens.   So I'm thinking that if I want to start, I have to win the job in tonight's game.  That would make it a big game for me personally.

16 hours ago, Foxx said:

i think Allen starts against the Browns.

the presummed starter traditionally starts the third pre-season game. the only way to know if he is in any way ready at all, he has to play with the 1's in this game. this is his chance to show what hes got and where he stands with his curve.

I think McCarron starts to see what he does with the 1s so they know if they should start him or Peterman in Week 3/the regular season. I think Allen steps in the 2nd and 3rd quarters to see him "compete" with Baker Mayfield and then trot out Peterman in the 4th to work with the depth WRs to see if anyone keeping around. 

25 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I'd be shocked if he starts game 1 of regular season (barring injuries to other 2 guys.)  He needs some time, he was thought of as a guys with huge potential, but also a guy who needed some coaching, you don't throw a guy like that in on day 1.

You are going off of what the general opinion on Allen was before camp started. I think he has proven a lot of the preconceived notions about his play as being wrong. Do I think he should start the 1st game? Part of me says yes if he earned it. A part of me says no, work him into it. Seeing as I am not the coach or GM, I don't really know.

If he is your best chance of winning and the team knows it, what are you telling the other players that are fighting for a starting job? Are you sending the right signals to the team? And I understand it is the coaches and GM's right to do what they think best for the player and the team in the long run. Just saying it is not as simple as not starting him if he clearly beat out the other two qb's. If the team buys into Allen being their best shot at winning, and then they sit him and go on a  possible 5 game losing streak? Then you possibly have the team doubting you and the fans on top of it. I could see where it would be a little tricky.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Most rookie QBs get blitzed a lot.

JA needs to see it in preseason because he will see it a lot when he finally starts.

I hope that Daboll is prepared for this possibility and has proper plays for JA to succeed.

I guarantee you his college coach didn't have Allen prepared. Vigen had no clue how to make a team pay for blitzing. 

7 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

You are going off of what the general opinion on Allen was before camp started. I think he has proven a lot of the preconceived notions about his play as being wrong. Do I think he should start the 1st game? Part of me says yes if he earned it. A part of me says no, work him into it. Seeing as I am not the coach or GM, I don't really know.

If he is your best chance of winning and the team knows it, what are you telling the other players that are fighting for a starting job? Are you sending the right signals to the team? And I understand it is the coaches and GM's right to do what they think best for the player and the team in the long run. Just saying it is not as simple as not starting him if he clearly beat out the other two qb's. If the team buys into Allen being their best shot at winning, and then they sit him and go on a  possible 5 game losing streak? Then you possibly have the team doubting you and the fans on top of it. I could see where it would be a little tricky.

I guarantee you his college coach didn't have Allen prepared. Vigen had no clue how to make a team pay for blitzing. 

I don't think the preconceived notions about Allen were wrong at all.

By most accounts he's looked exactly like his scouting reports said he'd look. 

32 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Normally yes,but if he straight up out performs the other 2 QBs from here on out the rest of the way, then I believe you don't have much choice.

If it's that obvious then everyone who said he needed significant coaching was probably way off.  From everything I've read so far I don't think they were.

23 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know.  I don't think he thinks about it any differently than I would if I were 22 and playing some sport in college.   I'd want to start.   I'd really want to start.   I wouldn't be thinking "maybe I'm not good enough to start right now."   I'd be thinking "I want to start."

And then I'd be looking at the situation and recognize that in most circumstances the coaches will be deciding this weekend who's starting in game 3 of preseason, and that guy will be the presumptive starter when the season opens.   So I'm thinking that if I want to start, I have to win the job in tonight's game.  That would make it a big game for me personally.

I understand where you are coming from and how that certainly is a reasonable expectation.  However, I just don't think that is the case with Allen.  He doesn't carry an ego centered mindset where he feels he needs to be the guy right now.  I think Allen understands where he is strong and where he needs to develop and is more focused on getting better day in and day out instead of letting his ego drive him to win the job week 1.  I am sure he would love to start, but he also wants to start when he is ready to be the starter and has complete trust in the coaches to both get him there and understand when he's ready.  

Dont get me wrong, I am sure he is preparing to be the starter but just isnt consumed with it having to be by week 1 to the point its putting extra pressure on him.  Everyone has stated they will bring him along slow until he is ready, so he is also not walking around with this pressure that everyone expects him to start week 1 either.  Add in the good start to the NP and AJM battle to be the starter and just dont see any self inflicted starting pressure by Allen on himself.  This kid is too smart to let his ego get in his way IMO, and nothing I have seen from him suggest otherwise.  He's going to go out there and be the best he can and look to be better everyday than he was the day before first and foremost.  

15 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

I don't watch a lot of college ball so I can't comment on that intelligently but in some strange way I kind of hope that JA was not given

the best instructions to be a successful QB.  It may sound illogical to say that but if he is now (in Buffalo) learning a bunch of things he

should of know in college he could show improvements at a faster than expected pace.

I really don't know what level of instruction/development JA was afforded at Wyoming.  I do know he is around better now, I just don't know

how much of a gap that really is.

4 hours ago, White Linen said:

Have the other two QB's referenced being the starter?  Nope.  

Why?

It's because our head coach teaches not to say much to the media.  He preaches,  I'll communicate to you openly and you can back to me.  No need to put things outside the team.   They trust him and none of them are making claims.  

I find it impossible to believe Allen doesn't want to and doesn't care if he's the starter,  as you state as fact.  

Huh?  Yes they have, thats a totally false statement.  They talk about it all the time and they are 100% battling to be the starter, they know it, the staff knows it, the team knows it, the media knows it, the board here knows it, etc.  I mean they are asked about it every second the press talks to them lol.  

AJM and NP are literally battling to start week 1 every single day, Allen is the wildcard on whether he can enter contention to also win the job to be the week 1 starter.  However, AJM and NP are both competing daily to start week 1 and probably for a roster spot too as there are no guarantees we will keep 3 QBs as most teams dont.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

What pressure?    Well, like everyone, he wants to be a starter.   He's on a track that would permit him to be a starter.   He probably can't win the starting job against the Browns, but he definitely can lose it.  

Going into the first preseason game, he knew where he stood.   Beane said it - if he plays well enough, he'll get first and second team reps.   If he shows he's not ready, he'll stay with the third string.   The pressure was on, and he responded nicely.   He followed up with a good but not great showing in training camp, running with the 2s and occasionally with the 1s. 

Now it seems likely he'll play with the 2s against the Browns, and maybe first come into the game when some of the 1s are still on the field.   It will all be on the line.   If he plays well, it's quite possible he'll force McDermott to give him a shot by giving a lot of first team reps in practice next week.   Ideally, of course, you give your presumptive starter the first-team reps, because the third preseason game is typically the dress-rehearsal game - starters go the first half, maybe into the third quarter.   But if Allen is good enough against the Browns, McDermott either has to declare him the starter and give him ALL the first-team reps, or decide that he has a real competition going on with Allen and one of the other two.  Then he has to split the first-team reps in practice, split the time in the third preseason game and postpone the decision about the starter and the dress rehearsal to the fourth game.  

Allen isn't stupid.   He knows his shot at starting is on the line.   It will be interesting to see if he's up to the challenge.  

Remember back in 2015? Third pre-season game against the Steelers; that game showcases our starting QB as the regular season starter right? 

Wrong.

We started EJ Manuel in that game.  Then we went to Matt Cassel. 

Finally, Tyrod came in as the third QB.

Who started regular season game 1?  Tyrod Taylor.

Just give it some time and let's see how it plays out.

We'll know everything in the next few weeks! 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I understand where you are coming from and how that certainly is a reasonable expectation.  However, I just don't think that is the case with Allen.  He doesn't carry an ego centered mindset where he feels he needs to be the guy right now.  I think Allen understands where he is strong and where he needs to develop and is more focused on getting better day in and day out instead of letting his ego drive him to win the job week 1.  I am sure he would love to start, but he also wants to start when he is ready to be the starter and has complete trust in the coaches to both get him there and understand when he's ready.  

Dont get me wrong, I am sure he is preparing to be the starter but just isnt consumed with it having to be by week 1 to the point its putting extra pressure on him.  Everyone has stated they will bring him along slow until he is ready, so he is also not walking around with this pressure that everyone expects him to start week 1 either.  Add in the good start to the NP and AJM battle to be the starter and just dont see any self inflicted starting pressure by Allen on himself.  This kid is too smart to let his ego get in his way IMO, and nothing I have seen from him suggest otherwise.  He's going to go out there and be the best he can and look to be better everyday than he was the day before first and foremost.  

I agree he probably can keep his ego in check, and McDermott is challenging him to do that, but I think you misperceive who he is.   To say he "doesn't carry an ego-centered mindset" is, by all reports, wrong.   The reports are that he is an intense competitor.   The ego is what makes a competitor intense.   That's what drove Tyrod, too.   He wanted to be on a team where he could compete to start.  

I think he really wants to be the starter, right now.   He may understand and be able to control himself if the coaches decide he sits, but that's different from wanting to be THE guy RIGHT NOW.   

I think he knows that his opportunity to start in Baltimore is sitting there tonight.   He plays well, he may get the start.   He doesn't play well, he'll be sitting in three weeks.   

Real competitors rise to the occasion in situations like this.   That's why I'm interested to see how he does.  

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Huh?  Yes they have, thats a totally false statement.  They talk about it all the time and they are 100% battling to be the starter, they know it, the staff knows it, the team knows it, the media knows it, the board here knows it, etc.  I mean they are asked about it every second the press talks to them lol.  

AJM and NP are literally battling to start week 1 every single day, Allen is the wildcard on whether he can enter contention to also win the job to be the week 1 starter.  However, AJM and NP are both competing daily to start week 1 and probably for a roster spot too as there are no guarantees we will keep 3 QBs as most teams dont.  

...maybe it's a bad read or gross misconception on my part....but I think individual, public "fine whines" do NOT fit the McD "process"....he sure as hell got riled up in a hurry about the Benjamin vs Cam flap......his doghouse has no running water, toilet paper and a cinder block for a pillow...just sayin'.....

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree he probably can keep his ego in check, and McDermott is challenging him to do that, but I think you misperceive who he is.   To say he "doesn't carry an ego-centered mindset" is, by all reports, wrong.   The reports are that he is an intense competitor.   The ego is what makes a competitor intense.   That's what drove Tyrod, too.   He wanted to be on a team where he could compete to start.  

I think he really wants to be the starter, right now.   He may understand and be able to control himself if the coaches decide he sits, but that's different from wanting to be THE guy RIGHT NOW.   

I think he knows that his opportunity to start in Baltimore is sitting there tonight.   He plays well, he may get the start.   He doesn't play well, he'll be sitting in three weeks.   

Real competitors rise to the occasion in situations like this.   That's why I'm interested to see how he does.  

No disrespect bud, but unfortunately I also disagree with this statement that Ego drives competitiveness.  For a simple example...I am extremely competitive, but I also don't blur that with my ego.  For example, I play basketball at the park every Saturday down the street from my house.  I am HIGHLY competitive out there and wanting to win, but I also don't play with an egotistical approach where I am the guy that must take the shots because my ego makes me feel like I am the best guy to shoot.  I am usually the tallest guy and while I will take my shots in the post, I also look to kick out for each shots when people collapse on me for even easier shots from my team so we can win.  

There is a fine line, but yet very distinct line between arrogance and confidence.  I am confident when I shoot, but I dont play with the arrogance that I am always the best choice to shoot.  This was actually what I loved about Josh Allen and didn't like about Josh Rosen...Rosen to me is consumed by his ego and arrogance and I think its going to grossly effect his confidence and demeanor during times of struggle.  Where Allen is guy I feel can take the ups and downs and focus on learning from them rather than making excuses or deflecting them.  Its the same thing that doomed extremely talented guys like Jeff George and Jay Cutler IMO.  

So, I know JA is HIGHLY competitive, but thats not the same thing as letting his ego control him and his decisions.  Again, I am sure JA wants to be the starter, but I just dont see him self inflicting pressure to make that happen week 1 to fill the ego of being named the starter week 1.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect bud, but unfortunately I also disagree with this statement that Ego drives competitiveness.  For a simple example...I am extremely competitive, but I also don't blur that with my ego.  For example, I play basketball at the park every Saturday down the street from my house.  I am HIGHLY competitive out there and wanting to win, but I also don't play with an egotistical approach where I am the guy that must take the shots because my ego makes me feel like I am the best guy to shoot.  I am usually the tallest guy and while I will take my shots in the post, I also look to kick out for each shots when people collapse on me for even easier shots from my team so we can win.  

There is a fine line, but yet very distinct line between arrogance and confidence.  I am confident when I shoot, but I dont play with the arrogance that I am always the best choice to shoot.  This was actually what I loved about Josh Allen and didn't like about Josh Rosen...Rosen to me is consumed by his ego and arrogance and I think its going to grossly effect his confidence and demeanor during times of struggle.  Where Allen is guy I feel can take the ups and downs and focus on learning from them rather than making excuses or deflecting them.  Its the same thing that doomed extremely talented guys like Jeff George and Jay Cutler IMO.  

So, I know JA is HIGHLY competitive, but thats not the same thing as letting his ego control him and his decisions.  Again, I am sure JA wants to be the starter, but I just dont see him self inflicting pressure to make that happen week 1 to fill the ego of being named the starter week 1.  

I don't disagree with any of what you say.   You're talking about how someone behaves.   But to say that competitiveness is not about ego is simply wrong.   Ego is what drives competitiveness.   If you don't have ego, you don't compete.    You're talking about whether a guy with an ego behaves like a jerk or not. 

When you play basketball, as you say, you desperately want to win.   What I'm saying is Allen desperately wants to win the starting job in exactly the same way.   He's going into tonight's game knowing that this game goes a long way to determining whether he wins the job.   So from a personal point of view, he is under pressure.   This is it.   He wants to win.   

How he behaves when he wins or loses is another matter.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't disagree with any of what you say.   You're talking about how someone behaves.   But to say that competitiveness is not about ego is simply wrong.   Ego is what drives competitiveness.   If you don't have ego, you don't compete.    You're talking about whether a guy with an ego behaves like a jerk or not. 

When you play basketball, as you say, you desperately want to win.   What I'm saying is Allen desperately wants to win the starting job in exactly the same way.   He's going into tonight's game knowing that this game goes a long way to determining whether he wins the job.   So from a personal point of view, he is under pressure.   This is it.   He wants to win.   

How he behaves when he wins or loses is another matter.  

All good brother, we just see this particular case differently.  And to clarify I am not saying Ego is not involved, as Ego is part of confidence.  But I am saying there is a difference in being competitive and letting Ego drive your actions.  Allen strikes me as the kind of guy who is confident, competitive, but also highly intelligent and doesn't let his ego drives his decisions.  So while I have no doubt he wants to start, I also do not think he's putting pressure on himself to make that a reality week 1.  I think he is just focused on being the best player he can, not being the starter week 1.  I am sure he hopes those 2 go hand in hand, but nothing about him makes feel like he has internal pressure to start week 1.  

• Like (+1) 1