Bills' 2018 Training Camp Practice Day 10 - Closed to the Public

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah I see Kyle Orton as his ceiling. Which isn't too bad but personally I'd prefer Peterman or Allen to start. I dont care about our record this year so I want to see the unknown. If they fail no harm done. If McCarron plays like Kyle Orton for one year what do we get out of it? I'd rather know what we have for the future. JMO

Agree with you here.  Unless they conclude that putting Allen in endangers his development more than hastening it, there is not much to be gained by playing AJ.  I do not want to see Peterman in the starting role though.  This makes no sense at all to me over Allen.  

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Orton was sneaky good and had some surprising plays up his sleeve. I think McCarron would be really well off to be able to reach that level. 

Yeah Orton was great, remember that play when he slid three yards short of a first down and nobody was within ten yards of him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

Is it possible that Peterman has some form of multiple personality disorders and half the time he's an NFL quarterback and the other half he's something akin to a rodeo clown? 

5 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Yeah Orton was great, remember that play when he slid three yards short of a first down and nobody was within ten yards of him.

Not specifically. lol. 

Still one of the better QB's we've had in a while. 

Which is sad. 

You'd think that the team bringing in someone who does similar things as you would encourage you to play even better and fight harder for the roster spot.. Not Robert Foster. 

I had high hopes for him, but it's looking unlikely that he's with the team much longer. 

Edited by whatdrought

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

if allen doesn't get the nod week one, the above is why i'd lean more toward starting nate. i would hate to see a.j. taking a sack on every other snap. i just think nate has a quicker, snappier release. i also think he's really improving at looking off the defense. i think due to injury somewhere, that a.j. is going to net us a trade and given the money he's making, i can see them going with peterman. would not surprise me one bit. he's gonna have the best pre season of all 3.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 1

Allen coming with the third team in the first preseason game, I hope he gets the entire second half out there. Give the other two one quarter each. Then move Allen up and split first team reps with the winner of Peterman/AJM with the lead up to the 2nd game.

If Allen is horrendous vs. Carolina’s third string he continues to take 3rd team reps while the other spilt heading into the 2nd game.

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Allen coming with the third team in the first preseason game, I hope he gets the entire second half out there. Give the other two one quarter each. Then move Allen up and split first team reps with the winner of Peterman/AJM with the lead up to the 2nd game.

If Allen is horrendous vs. Carolina’s third string he continues to take 3rd team reps while the other spilt heading into the 2nd game.

If Allen is horrendous, it's very likely that you'll start to hear rumblings from fans and local media that it's time to begin scouting Justin Herbert and Will Grier.

3 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

If Allen is horrendous, it's very likely that you'll start to hear rumblings from fans and local media that it's time to begin scouting Justin Herbert and Will Grier.

Not really interested in playing make believe unless you dress up as Barbie and I can be Ken. 

Hopefully after the carolina game allen starts getting reps with the 1's, at least the 2's more often. Foster cant hold onto the ball, and allen had had a bunch of other drops. But obviously hes not going to be the opening day starter so those reps are going to be few and far between right now.

Edited by BillsSbSoon

15 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

That is most likely the plan

4 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I'm just going to wait until Thursday and get the eye test on the QBs.  Lots of guys get raving reviews in camps but then when they hit the field you ask where is the guy they were talking about in camp?  I don't see him anywhere.

Same here, though I will reserve judgment until at least two preseason games.

21 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I'm a homer, I know, but I haven't seen or heard anything out of camp that leads me to believe Allen will be "horrendous" -- it seems as though he's making a lot of good reads and throws.  If anything, he's being hampered (much as he was in college) by having lesser talent to throw to.

I mean, if Jeff Tuel can look good against 3rd stringers I certainly hope Allen will also.

Buffalo Bills training camp recap, August 6: Nathan Peterman stars

The Buffalo Bills held their tenth training camp practice today, and while much of the focus was on a player not in attendance, the team still had plenty to do on the field today. The Bills deployed their standard quarterback shuffle, but they also rotated some players along the offensive line in different ways.

Here are some of the major storylines to come out of St. John Fisher this morning.

Peterman back with the ones

Offensive line shuffles

Injury updates

Where’s Corey?

Quick hits

First-team wide receivers opposite Kelvin Benjamin were, Rod Streater, Jeremy Kerley, and Andre Holmes, according to Sal Capaccio...Logan Thomas worked with the first team, hauling in a pass from Peterman...Mike Rodak said that Robert Foster was working with the second team. He caught a pass from McCarron on a deep curl, and then McCarron overthrew him one play later...Capaccio noted the depth behind Charles Clay, as Jason Croom caught another beautiful touchdown from McCarron today...defensive end Shaq Lawson had a nice day, according to Mark Ludwiczak, which including a sack, a pass breakup, and a good number of pressures...Robert Foster, on the other hand, did not have a good day. He dropped a pass that led to an interception late in practice.

Josh Allen seemed to have a very good day, although it could have been even better if his receivers were able to catch some passes that were described as having been thrown very well. Ray-Ray McCloud dropped two passes in 11-on-11 work, including a perfectly thrown deep pass. (Mike Rodak tweeted that the deep ball was actually dropped by Travaris Cadet, but either way, the pass was beautiful). Later, Allen had some good sets in 7-on-7 work, throwing a touchdown pass to Khari Lee and making another good pass to Kaelin Clay that saw the wideout stopped short of the end zone. He also threw a touchdown to Brandon Reilly, and he would have had another, but Robert Foster could not corral a bullet from the strong-armed rookie; it hit Foster in the hands and then fell to the turf for an incomplete pass. McCloud recovered from some of his earlier drops to snare a nice touchdown in the final session. Allen worked exclusively with the third-team again today, and the last time he saw first-team reps was last Thursday.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/8/6/17655694/buffalo-bills-training-camp-recap-august-6-nathan-peterman-stars-josh-allen-aj-mccarron

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I am at the point where I really want to see Allen get a full days rep with team 1. Let him show what he can do with the big boys. 

While I agree, McDermott and Beane have said that they have a plan they are sticking with, and it is not going to change until the 1st preseason game. I have to imagine this is why they are keeping Allen with the third team for now, because McCarron and Peterman really are not blowing me away.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

So...the QB put the ball through a tight window for a touchdown? Why are you getting negative about this?

36 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm a homer, I know, but I haven't seen or heard anything out of camp that leads me to believe Allen will be "horrendous" -- it seems as though he's making a lot of good reads and throws.  If anything, he's being hampered (much as he was in college) by having lesser talent to throw to.

I mean, if Jeff Tuel can look good against 3rd stringers I certainly hope Allen will also.

I’m as hopeful as the next guy, I think he will shine. Just had to throw it out there because a naysayer would have jumped all over the opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Jeez, we have to put Allen back with the 1s and 2s for a bit. These WRs are brutal

Exactly what I was thinking. Dude needs to get some time with guys that won't drop the friggin' ball so easily. I'm sure there's some adjustment on the receivers part in catching passes from Allen as he has a ton of zip on his throws but this is the NFL, if it's in their range, they gotta come down with it.

12 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

While I agree, McDermott and Beane have said that they have a plan they are sticking with, and it is not going to change until the 1st preseason game. I have to imagine this is why they are keeping Allen with the third team for now, because McCarron and Peterman really are not blowing me away.

So...the QB put the ball through a tight window for a touchdown? Why are you getting negative about this?

Where was I negative?  You want the QB to make tight window throws that give receivers chances to make plays. 

16 minutes ago, hemma said:

Thursday should be fun.

Given that the OL is still getting its legs and that Peterman seems to get rid of it a bit quicker, I think he starts over McCarron.

Whoever starts of those two Thursday, I would guess the other gets the next start.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Where was I negative?  You want the QB to make tight window throws that give receivers chances to make plays. 

No, the guy who was tweeting.

He went into "but the safety almost took his head off!"

Well...welcome to close contested throws. I felt like he was being overly negative. Not you 26

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

I think that's the plan. Give him the whole second half on Thursday, and adjust his reps based on 30 minutes of action. I think(hope) he'll swim, rather than sink, and be #2 next week. 

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

I think that's the plan. Give him the whole second half on Thursday, and adjust his reps based on 30 minutes of action. I think(hope) he'll swim, rather than sink, and be #2 next week. 

Should be fun. Allen slinging it and Daboll going full pit bull on those youngings running the wrong routes and dropping passes.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Commonsense said:

Should be fun. Allen slinging it and Daboll going full pit bull on those youngings running the wrong routes and dropping passes.

:beer: Absolutely. Regardless of what happens, Allen's presence will make all the preseason games more entertaining/must watch TV than normal. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

:beer: Absolutely. Regardless of what happens, Allen's presence will make all the preseason games more entertaining/must watch TV than normal. 

I was just talking to someone about how I’m usually anxious and impatient for real games to start this time of the year, but this year strangely looking forward to the preseason. There a lot of questions to answer. 

I’m of the mindset that the defense will be very good this year and I’m cautiously optimistic that one of these guys can separate himself and be a serviceable starter. 

• Like (+1) 2