Bills' 2018 Training Camp Practice Day 10 - Closed to the Public

14 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

I was just talking to someone about how I’m usually anxious and impatient for real games to start this time of the year, but this year strangely looking forward to the preseason. There a lot of questions to answer. 

I’m of the mindset that the defense will be very good this year and I’m cautiously optimistic that one of these guys can separate himself and be a serviceable starter. 

I walked away (from one practice) thinking the same. The defense will keep this team in more games than they probably belong - and I liked Allen's talent enough to think he (or AJM's steady hand) will end up stealing some games behind this defense. 

I'm expecting a step back in terms of win this year, but I think the talk of only winning 3-5 games is going to look silly by year's end. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I walked away (from one practice) thinking the same. The defense will keep this team in more games than they probably belong - and I liked Allen's talent enough to think he (or AJM's steady hand) will end up stealing some games behind this defense. 

I'm expecting a step back in terms of win this year, but I think the talk of only winning 3-5 games is going to look silly by year's end. 

I'm pretty much in the same place.   I want to see the preseason to see what the offense looks like.  It could be horruble, but that's unlikely.  It should be at least as good as in the Taylor years, and the defense will be the best we've seen in years.  

If Allen emerges, watch out.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

Trent "Glass Legs" Murphy making a lot of money to not be available. This could get annoying. 

A minor Groin issue can take a week easily.

Ever pulled a groin? Even a slight pull is a big problem. You no doubt pull your groin it could be a month.

Id expect him back this weekend. He won’t play in the game so it’s not worth it. It’s still early, he’s got reps.

Let him heal up, I wouldn’t mess with a groin issue in pre season 

Just now, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Ever pulled a groin? Even a slight pull is a big problem. You no doubt pull your groin it could be a month.

Id expect him back this weekend. He won’t play in the game so it’s not worth it. It’s still early, he’s got reps.

I tore my groin about 8-9 years ago.  The doctor told me not to even stretch it for 4-6 weeks because my muscle is trying to fix the tear and stretching it could set it back.

Literally I did nothing in that time range but rest.  Took about 3 months before I could start jogging.

I couldn't afford Physical Therapy at the time so I did it all myself.  I knew all the exercises so it wasn't worth it for me to pay for it.

The craziest thing was all the bruising.  My entire thigh was black and blue and below my knee there were "shades" of the bruise.  

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I tore my groin about 8-9 years ago.  The doctor told me not to even stretch it for 4-6 weeks because my muscle is trying to fix the tear and stretching it could set it back.

Literally I did nothing in that time range but rest.  Took about 3 months before I could start jogging.

I couldn't afford Physical Therapy at the time so I did it all myself.  I knew all the exercises so it wasn't worth it for me to pay for it.

The craziest thing was all the bruising.  My entire thigh was black and blue and below my knee there were "shades" of the bruise.  

It’s nothing to mess with. I’m sure Murphy felt a little tightness, knot up... any smart trainer is gonna just tell him to rest, stay off your feet, icebath etc. for at min a week.

He’s at what, day 4. Sat will be 10 days. If it was minor, I think that’s when we may see him back out there.

If it was worse than we think... he may not play till 3rd preseason game or longer.

3 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

It’s nothing to mess with. I’m sure Murphy felt a little tightness, knot up... any smart trainer is gonna just tell him to rest, stay off your feet, icebath etc. for at min a week.

He’s at what, day 4. Sat will be 10 days. If it was minor, I think that’s when we may see him back out there.

If it was worse than we think... he may not play till 3rd preseason game or longer.

I would just be so cautious with him that I wouldn't even consider him until the 3rd preseason game.  Even if he feels great lets say in the next couple of days...don't risk it.

Just have him practice.  Groins are tricky.

16 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

So if Allen worked exclusively with the 3's today, and threw a TD to Brandon Reilly, is Brandon Reilly a 3? I thought the coaches liked him a lot....figured he was a 1 1/2 or a 2.

There's so much movement on the WR depth chart that it's hard to keep track of anything... 

2 hours ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

If Allen is horrendous, it's very likely that you'll start to hear rumblings from fans and local media that it's time to begin scouting Justin Herbert and Will Grier.

Only the uneducated ones

The common thing I see is Receivers dropping balls they should be catching......

Makes the Colemen trade completely understandable

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Only the uneducated ones

The common thing I see is Receivers dropping balls they should be catching......

Makes the Colemen trade completely understandable

I agree...

the last 3 practices has the media and the amatuer camp reporters clealry spelling out the catchable throws from Allen that have been dropped...  I truly would like ot see Allen get more time with a better surrounding cast.....  but they are going to stick to their plan of bringin him along slow....  

That being said I would of bet the farm Peterman was odd man out before TC now I thing he's moving up fast to becoming the front runner. AJ is taking way too many sacks IMO. 

39 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Most vets don't need 4 preseason games to get ready...

3 hours ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

If Allen is horrendous, it's very likely that you'll start to hear rumblings from fans and local media that it's time to begin scouting Justin Herbert and Will Grier.

You won't hear that from me.

Tremaine Edmunds: 'I'm up for responsibility' of calling plays on defense (1:45)

Bills rookie linebacker Tremaine Edmunds talks about his first training camp, training with linebacker Lorenzo Alexander and getting to play in his first NFL game on Sept. 9th.

Micah Hyde: "I think everybody on this defense is motivated" (9:40)

Bills safety Micah Hyde joined One Bills Live and discussed how the defense can take the next step, some of the new faces on the team and coaching staff, and approaching the preseason opener.

3 hours ago, eball said:

I'm a homer, I know, but I haven't seen or heard anything out of camp that leads me to believe Allen will be "horrendous" -- it seems as though he's making a lot of good reads and throws.  If anything, he's being hampered (much as he was in college) by having lesser talent to throw to.

I mean, if Jeff Tuel can look good against 3rd stringers I certainly hope Allen will also.

Allen has looked pretty solid (from what I've read/seen) EXCEPT against the blitz. He seems to be trying to adjust to the speed and complexity of that right now. I don't see him doing great if CAR was blitzing him all half (which, preseason, so they won't). 

day10offense_1533569543591_94242363_ver1.0_900_675.jpg

day10defense_1533569543625_94242364_ver1.0_900_675.jpg

Joe B: 7 observations from 2018 Buffalo Bills training camp - Day 10

(WKBW) - The Buffalo Bills officially reached the double-digit mark for practices in training camp for the buildup to the 2018 season. They had their second-to-last practice Monday before the first preseason game of the year, and with it, saw a definitive step up in the passing offense from what had been seen the previous day.

The Bills also traded for Corey Coleman, though he wasn't in attendance for the practice due to him traveling from Cleveland.

What stood out? Seven observations from Day 10:

1) What do the Bills have in mind for Corey Coleman?
2) Peterman, Allen with a bounce-back practice
3) Groy works at guard! But, with a catch
4) Lacey continues to impress
5) Foster fighting the ball
6) Shaq Lawson taking advantage of an opportunity
7) A tale of two tackles

Day 10 MVP: RB Marcus Murphy
- The Bills have lined him up a little bit of everywhere, and he continues to make plays. The number '45' is littered everywhere on my notebook from team drills on Day Ten. A younger running back -- which is fairly rare on this Bills roster -- if Murphy's ability shines through during preseason games as a runner, I think the opportunity is there to win the number-three job.

Day 10 LVP: WR Robert Foster
- Foster has dealt with drops all camp long, and his double-clutch during team drills on Monday led to one of the most recognizable plays of the day -- an interception that wasn't the quarterback's fault.

Up Next: Day 11 on Tuesday, August 7 at 8:45 am

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

It would be a Godsend to this team if Croom is the real deal.

It sure would be.

I thought Croom looked good last year and I'm glad the Bills kept him on the practice squad.

If the reports are true about how impressive he has looked at camp this year, then I hope he will be on the active roster.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Is Breon Borders going to make the team? Always seems to be doing well.

I would say he has a good chance. He and Taron Johnson & Rafael Bush appear to be having very good camps.

Haven't heard much about Lafayette Pitts.

21 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

It sure would be.

I thought Croom looked good last year and I'm glad the Bills kept him on the practice squad.

If the reports are true about how impressive he has looked at camp this year, then I hope he will be on the active roster.

I think Logan Thomas might finally be on the roster bubble.

I am tired of hearing about his potential. He's 27 now. If he hasn't reached it by now, he never will.

I am thinking the Bills might keep 4 TS's. Clay, O'Leary (as an H-back type too), Lee (very solid blocker) and Croom.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Does it specifically happen when you're watching this?

Image result for Katy Perry GIF

That shirt was never happier.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Does it specifically happen when you're watching this?

Image result for Katy Perry GIF

Hey, now that you mention it...yeah! But, it also happens when I see things like this:

Holding Tanks

It makes scared to think there might be something going on in those tanks that causes my swelling.

Edited by OCinBuffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

Here's the parts we all care about:

Nathan Peterman shines

It was apparent early that Nathan Peterman was feeling it. In one of the first 11-on-11 drills, Peterman went 6 of 6 against the first-team defense and finished the streak with a gorgeous ball to Kelvin Benjamin.

Peterman said that as camp progresses, it becomes easier to settle into a rhythm as repetitions begin to add up.

"The more reps you get -- especially with a new offense and with those players, too, finding the chemistry and timing ... and then your understanding of the play -- just helps so much," Peterman said. "You get so many different looks on the same play that it can be five different outcomes with five eligible receivers. Just getting all those different looks and starting to settle into a rhythm is good. Obviously in the game that will be a big test of that to settle into that rhythm, and then into the preseason and regular season as well."

The Bills' quarterback competition is still playing out and the team still hasn't announced which player will start in the first preseason game against the Carolina Panthers on Thursday. Peterman's surge early in week three of camp could lead to important game reps Thursday.

A.J. McCarron seems flustered in pocket

It was another day to forget for A.J. McCarron, who has struggled with pressure and making quick decisions lately.

McCarron was sacked multiple times at practice and seems uncomfortable at times going through his progressions. He'll likely get a chance to run the first team tomorrow before the team gets an off day Wednesday before Thursday's first preseason game.

Josh Allen lighting up radar gun

The zip Josh Allen puts on his passes is truly remarkable to see up close. Allen was snapping the ball off the wrist and firing it to receivers again Monday.

A few receivers struggled to hold onto the ball as Allen was fitting the ball into tight windows, especially in the red zone. Allen changes his arm angle depending on the situation and what kind of pressure he's under. It seems he maintains the speed on his fastball regardless of the angle.

10 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I think Logan Thomas might finally be on the roster bubble.

I am tired of hearing about his potential. He's 27 now. If he hasn't reached it by now, he never will.

I am thinking the Bills might keep 4 TS's. Clay, O'Leary (as an H-back type too), Lee (very solid blocker) and Croom.

That shirt was never happier.

If they keep 4 TE's, that would be a good lineup.

I'm also tired of waiting for Logan Thomas. We need someone who is an actual Tight End.

2 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

He was suspended 4 games for PEDs, tore his ACL the same season, and now injured his groin. Multiple soft tissue injuries after discontinued use of PEDs worries me a lot. 

As Brian Billick just said on the NFL Channel, if you draft a guy no. 7 overall, you play him. If you have to sit him because he's not ready yet, you made a bad pick. That's what I said when they first drafted Allen. 

Play him. Give him a strong running game and bring him along slowly, but PLAY HIM. If Joe Flacco started out of the gate as a No. 17 pick, if Russell Wilson played as a 3rd round draft pick, then Josh Allen better step up and be the starter on day 1.

Why start AJ or Petyerman if you're just going to go to Allen after game 4? So, what? You're hoping one of the other guys fails so Allen can get his shot? That's moronic. 

PLAY JOSH ALLEN and let's see what we've got. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm over this 3-way QB competition. You drafted a guy 7th overall. Play him. Play him now. I have no interest in starting one of the other guys and then putting in Allen when they invariably fail. PLAY HIM NOW. Start him week 1. Let's go. The future is now. And other cliches. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

As Brian Billick just said on the NFL Channel, if you draft a guy no. 7 overall, you play him. If you have to sit him because he's not ready yet, you made a bad pick. That's what I said when they first drafted Allen. 

Play him. Give him a strong running game and bring him along slowly, but PLAY HIM. If Joe Flacco started out of the gate as a No. 17 pick, if Russell Wilson played as a 3rd round draft pick, then Josh Allen better step up and be the starter on day 1.

Why start AJ or Petyerman if you're just going to go to Allen after game 4? So, what? You're hoping one of the other guys fails so Allen can get his shot? That's moronic. 

Before the current CBA agreement I would agree there was pressure on team's to justify the cost of their 1st rd selection. However, now there is less pressure to force a guy into the lineup before he is ready. 

If I was the coach I would want to see Allen performing consistently better than the 2 other QBs in practice. If he hasn't reached that point yet then I am not putting him on the field. It is not fair to Allen or his teammates. This was a long term investment and I want to make sure he has every chance to succeed. Coming onto a team with a brand new offensive coordinator there is a bunch of unknowns right now in regards to this team.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Before the current CBA agreement I would agree there was pressure on team's to justify the cost of their 1st rd selection. However, now there is less pressure to force a guy into the lineup before he is ready. 

If I was the coach I would want to see Allen performing consistently better than the 2 other QBs in practice. If he hasn't reached that point yet then I am not putting him on the field. It is not fair to Allen or his teammates. This was a long term investment and I want to make sure he has every chance to succeed. Coming onto a team with a brand new offensive coordinator there is a bunch of unknowns right now in regards to this team.

so far, it's obvious he's AT LEAST no worse than the other two. So play him.

Yeah, if he stinks it up, don't play him. But if he's the best QB and the one who gives the Bills the best chance to win - play him.

19 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

They did not draft him to start day 1 and this offense is not NEARLY complete yet. I hope they sit him the whole season....