Jason LaCanfora and Peter King reports from Bills camp

LaCanfora:

2018 NFL Training Camps: Bills won't rush Josh Allen into starting QB role

Pretty balanced outlook from a national media type who has been very critical of past regimes 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-training-camps-bills-wont-rush-josh-allen-into-starting-qb-role/

mentions the narrative of the OL is overblown and brings up the idea of Mack to Buffalo 

Peter King:

TRAINING CAMP TOUR

Josh Allen adjusting to the NFL game

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/peter-king-bills-josh-allen-discuss-early-days-training-camp

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Pretty balanced outlook from a national media type who has been very critical of past regimes 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-training-camps-bills-wont-rush-josh-allen-into-starting-qb-role/

mentions the narrative of the OL is overblown and brings up the idea of Mack to Buffalo 

I was actually impressed with this article...

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

From most accounts I've read on here I thought Allen had been the best of the 3 QB's. His article said Allen is struggling. Which on is it?

Not even close.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is a full red shirt year for him.  I wouldn't mind it either.  Would love to see Mack here next year!

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

From most accounts I've read on here I thought Allen had been the best of the 3 QB's. His article said Allen is struggling. Which on is it?

I took it to mean that he spent very little time with the 1st team and when he was there, he didn’t do much 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

McCarron has been the best, most consistent in camp. At least to me. Allen has been better than I thought he would be. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

Some are saying he’s the best  because people don’t like AJ  and think Nate is a total bust.  

Baby steps.  

I’ve been saying that McDermott won’t rush him out there if he’s not ready.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Some are saying he’s the best  because people don’t like AJ  and think Nate is a total bust.  

Baby steps.  

I’ve been saying that McDermott won’t rush him out there if he’s not ready.   

Pat Kirwan was on wgr today saying that he thinks they need to identify the starter, at least internally, by next week. He said they cannot continue dividing up the reps this way among 3 and that one guy needs to get at least 60% by next week for that guy to be ready for the season given the relative inexperience of the group. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Pat Kirwan was on wgr today saying that he thinks they need to identify the starter, at least internally, by next week. He said they cannot continue dividing up the reps this way among 3 and that one guy needs to get at least 60% by next week for that guy to be ready for the season given the relative inexperience of the group. 

I'm guessing they name a starter after the 1st preseason game unless McCarron struggles or Allen looks amazing. 

23 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I was actually impressed with this article...

Didn't like whatvhe said about the Center position... Many fans thought Groy played better then Wood when Wood got injured a couple years ago. Doesn't seem to be a huge hole. Competition yes but not a hole like he seemed to indicate.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Kmart128 said:

Didn't like whatvhe said about the Center position... Many fans thought Groy played better then Wood when Wood got injured a couple years ago. Doesn't seem to be a huge hole. Competition yes but not a hole like he seemed to indicate.

a hole

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

McCarron has been the best, most consistent in camp. At least to me. Allen has been better than I thought he would be. 

thetruthhurts sometimes...

Consistency...

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is true.  

But contrary to some fans reports Josh Allen has had a dozen snaps with the 1s.   So it’s betweem AJ and NP.  

16 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I'm guessing they name a starter after the 1st preseason game unless McCarron struggles or Allen looks amazing. 

12 to 14 plays with the 1s     

Allen isn’t ready    

Pretty balanced take by LaConfora, although I think the Center position is less of a tire fire than he indicates.  I think there has been a huge difference in LaConfora's reporting on the Bills under the new regime.  It makes me think he had some big issue with Whaley in particular, and perhaps Rex as well. Whatever it is, his attitude toward the Bills is reborn.

Edited by MDFan
Spelling

6 minutes ago, MDFan said:

Pretty balanced take by LaConfora, although I think the Center position is less of a tire fire than he indicates.  I think there has been a huge difference in LaConfora's reporting on the Bills under the new regime.  It makes me think he had some big issue with Whaley in particular, and perhaps Rex as well. Whatever it is, his attitude toward the Bills is reborn.

He was the author of the St Doug story. i always thought there was a mole on staff feeding him stories to make Marrone, Whaley, Rex look bad and now that guy has been gone so he’s not getting the dirt 

Edited by YoloinOhio

42 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I took it to mean that he spent very little time with the 1st team and when he was there, he didn’t do much 

...before today, I think he had 9 reps with 1st team, none with 2nd team and 35 with 3rd team......

14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

That’s what I posted per Rodack 

add 5 more plays to that list. One of which was a pass.  

...can't find my summary post, but I do remember McCarron-45, Peterman-45 and Allen-44 were the totals....Allen was the low man with the 1sts at 9.......which is fine.....what's the rush?....

• Like (+1) 1

To me there shouldn’t be a rush.   It’s not like the Bills finished 3-13 and don’t have a choice. 

22 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...can't find my summary post, but I do remember McCarron-45, Peterman-45 and Allen-44 were the totals....Allen was the low man with the 1sts at 9.......which is fine.....what's the rush?....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Some won’t like my opinion but if they feel Allen is even close to being that guy they better run with him. I’d rather see him progress with physical and mental repetition instead of just mental.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

And that's one of the reasons why he doesn't work for an NFL team and just writes about them.  The Bills QB position right now is a competition.  Counting today they've only had 5 practices. They need to see how these 3 guys perform in a couple preseason games before making a sound decision.

4 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Some won’t like my opinion but if they feel Allen is even close to being that guy they better run with him. I’d rather see him progress with physical and mental repetition instead of just mental.

I think they will do just that, if they can.

The question is whether or not Allen is capable of being ready or if he is just too far away right now.

I hope he is brought along much more aggressively than what LaConfora outlines in his piece.

Sounds like the first pre-season game is going to be a critical road marker for all the QBs and Allen in particular.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

To me there shouldn’t be a rush.   It’s not like the Bills finished 3-13 and don’t have a choice. 

...here's the baffling dichotomy to me bud.....plenty of TBD forecasts saying 4, 5 or 6 wins at best......so if that is the case, why would you throw the Allen kid to the wolves, who may show up in PRACTICE or PRE-SEASON, but neither even come close to "live ammo"?.....how does he benefit if the OL is in the state of "flux and development"?.....what the hell do I know, but it seems to me to be a short sighted potential for disaster......

2 hours ago, H2o said:

I think LaCanfora's article was more that Allen is seeing minimal time with the 1s, and is getting most of his snaps with a bunch of rookies (3rd team).  And, he happened to not do very much at today's practice.

He did report " several people advised me that Peterman, who is getting the most reps with the starters, will be in this thing through the summer" which should enchant some of our Peterman fans here, but I think that must reflect it was a "Peterman's turn with the 1s" day because where the snap counts were published after Sunday, Peterman and McCarron were quite even-steven on snaps with the ones and twos - within 1 snap.

Overall, I thought it was a good article, and quite balanced.  I was a bit puzzled by his " The real problem, however, is at center. The proverbial "hole-in-the-middle" donut jokes do apply here. That is an open competition and could be much of the summer.  Some guys are trying to convert to center. Others are simply unproven there. This will be a central theme of this camp -- whether or not someone comes out and grabs ahold of this spot.". 

The two guys who are competing for the starting Center position, Bodine and Groy, are neither trying to convert nor unproven.  Bodine is a multi-year starter, and Groy filled in capably for the injured Wood in 2016.  I haven't heard anything to suggest that they're a particular problem.

The graphic in the article comparing the 3 QB last season - McCarron who got no starts, Peterman who got 2, and Allen in college - is BS

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Huh, and here I thought some were saying Allen is the best because he's had some of the most impressive throws (throws the other guys can't make), not because they don't like AJ or think poorly of Nate.

10 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

As a fellow journalist, granted I live and work in a very small town, the number of spelling errors in his article was frustrating. 

I noticed that too. I wonder if he was in a rush to publish and they don’t use an editor? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I noticed that too. I wonder if he was in a rush to publish and they don’t use an editor? 

Even if they don't use an editor, he should at least read it over once before posting it. A simple read over would have caught most of those errors. For example, he spelled the word line as lein. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...here's the baffling dichotomy to me bud.....plenty of TBD forecasts saying 4, 5 or 6 wins at best......so if that is the case, why would you throw the Allen kid to the wolves, who may show up in PRACTICE or PRE-SEASON, but neither even come close to "live ammo"?.....how does he benefit if the OL is in the state of "flux and development"?.....what the hell do I know, but it seems to me to be a short sighted potential for disaster......

If the Bills are making QB decisions based on TBD predictions, I’d say that’s far more disastrous.  

Thankfully, they most certainly are not.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

As a fellow journalist, granted I live and work in a very small town, the number of spelling errors in his article was frustrating. 

It seems to be a frequent theme among local sports reporting. Whether it be WGR55, CBS or even the Buffalo Snooze, i see spelling errors all the time. I don't quite understand why in 2018, where when you misspell a word it will turn red in real time or when there are spell checkers, how there can ever be misspelled words in an article. It boggles the mind.

Edited by brianthomas
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, brianthomas said:

It seems to be a frequent theme among local sports reporting. Whether it be WGR55, CBS or even the Buffalo Snooze, i see spelling errors all the time. I don't quite understand why in 2018, where when you misspell a word it will turn red in real time or we there are spell checkers, how there can ever be misspelled words in an article. It boggles the mind.

I think they run spell check but don’t read it closely for the all-important “grammar check”. So words are spelled incorrectly for what they intended to say, but it’s another word that’s actually spelled correctly  so it’s not picked up 

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

If he had the talent around him like Mahomes has in KC I may agree. But the offensive side of this roster is not very good and would doom a rookie and perhaps hurt his confidence level. Trubinsky and Watson both had better offenses as well when they got their shot last year. McCarron I believe will be the starter until the wheels fall off, if they do.