Jason LaCanfora and Peter King reports from Bills camp

23 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Why are people still talking as though Shady likely won't play week 1?

Any time anyone in the national media says that it makes me think they don't know what they're talking about.

they don 't. I discovered this a long time ago.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I noticed that too. I wonder if he was in a rush to publish and they don’t use an editor? 

I find a lot of errors in online articles.  Our local paper was getting pretty bad. It wasn’t spelling errors so much as missing and extra words.  It’s like they used spellcheck but didn’t run a grammar check.  Today’s rush to get news out really has done a job on quality.  Seems to be little pride in quality. (We recently cancelled paper delivery for multiple reasons.)

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I've had that thought myself.  I don't think Allen starts until he can reliably perform the QB equivalent of basketball "gotta hit the bunnies"

If Allen can't reliably hit short passes right from the get-go, why should we think he will be able to do it later on? 

The Bills should address the Allen question right away.  Play him and if he has it, he'll slowly improve.

If he doesn't have it, we'll all know it, and we can move on to the future.

The irony, of course, is that the collective McBeane future is somewhat tied to Allen's success, so from a self-preservation perspective, the incentive is to delay Allen's progression, not accelerate it. 

46 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

If Allen can't reliably hit short passes right from the get-go, why should we think he will be able to do it later on? 

The Bills should address the Allen question right away.  Play him and if he has it, he'll slowly improve.

The irony, of course, is that the collective McBeane future is somewhat tied to Allen's success, so from a self-preservation perspective, the incentive is to delay Allen's progression, not accelerate it. 

But that's not the only way it works.

Some guys don't have it and get it from sitting on the sidelines and developing. Other guys might well have had it but they're thrown in early and end up embedding bad habits, stopping the work on their mechanics and begin to think that the reason they look bad is because they are bad. Lacking development, in other words. Which is why developing is a thing.

Not everyone needs development. But most of the pros, pundits, front offices, etc, will make it clear they believe in it for some guys. And then the pressure comes and the guys who need the development get thrown in early. It's not a mistake that it's FOs with job security like Andy Reed and McCarthy with the Packers, FOs with a decent alternative (Jon Kitna keeping Carson Palmer off the field under Marvin Lewis, for example) that takes away the urgency to put the new guy in, those are the FOs who develop guys.

Oh, and as for the short passes, the Bills are saying that he threw very few if any of those in college and it's almost a new skill for him. If true, that's a really good reason to think he might develop and be able to throw them later on.

EDIT: As for pros who think being thrown in too early can hurt guys, throw in one more:

"... sometimes quarterbacks can get thrown in there too early and that can have a snowball effect on them during your career. So coach is going to do the smart thing." - Josh Allen

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-training-camps-bills-wont-rush-josh-allen-into-starting-qb-role/

Edited by Thurman#1

"Oh, and as for the short passes, the Bills are saying that he threw very few if any of those in college and it's almost a new skill for him."

Allen said this himself on WGR the other day - he said it's like learning to chip in a golf ball from 10 yds out with a 4 iron.

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I agree he needs to be able to consistently hit the short, easy throws in order to play. But he has very little experience with them and they are the easiest to teach/learn. So we will see how quickly he picks it up.,

Edited by YoloinOhio

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Pat Kirwan was on wgr today saying that he thinks they need to identify the starter, at least internally, by next week. He said they cannot continue dividing up the reps this way among 3 and that one guy needs to get at least 60% by next week for that guy to be ready for the season given the relative inexperience of the group. 

12 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

And that's one of the reasons why he doesn't work for an NFL team and just writes about them.  The Bills QB position right now is a competition.  Counting today they've only had 5 practices. They need to see how these 3 guys perform in a couple preseason games before making a sound decision.

Yeah, Kirwan has been beating that drum relentlessly...he was saying it again on Sirius during their show from Bills camp yesterday.  He's not alone -- lots of folks in the media have been saying how you need to get your starter the most reps in camp to get ready for the season, but I tend to agree that it's not "crucial" until after the 1st preseason game -- 8 days from now.  After that there needs to be a clear delineation.

1 minute ago, eball said:

Yeah, Kirwan has been beating that drum relentlessly...he was saying it again on Sirius during their show from Bills camp yesterday.  He's not alone -- lots of folks in the media have been saying how you need to get your starter the most reps in camp to get ready for the season, but I tend to agree that it's not "crucial" until after the 1st preseason game -- 8 days from now.  After that there needs to be a clear delineation.

That timing makes most sense (1st preseason game) but I agree with Kirwan - the sooner the better.

10 hours ago, inkman said:

I've been going to that bar for 25 years and have never seen it with actual light adorning the place. Looks slightly less ****ty.

that's the first thing i thought.  i don't know if i would have known it was shooters unless someone mentioned it.

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was going on and on today about how much he loves Pittsford

He always enjoyed his Starbucks with Russ!  I liked how much it amused him there was a bar called Thirstys next to a resto called Hungrys.   

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

King just said he believes it's going to be McCaron to start the season.  A prediction, not inside information.

without seeing a second of preseason play, this would be my very early guess too.  i'm fine with it.

3 minutes ago, stony said:

He always enjoyed his Starbucks with Russ!  I liked how much it amused him there was a bar called Thirstys next to a resto called Hungrys.   

He was talking about an ice cream place in Pittsford where he always gets a milkshake. 

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I actually would feel more comfortable with him.  Peterman when under pressure makes me shart a little bit.

i know i shouldn't feel this way, but i'm done with peterman.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

That's because it's Shorts not Shooters :thumbsup:

that's what i meant!  where did i get shooters?

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

is this admitting you shart too when plays?

i like to refer to it as hard gas.  i have some class.

Edited by teef