Zay to Active-Non-Football Injury, Palepoi released

8 hours ago, CardinalScotts said:

Dez isnt signing until camp is over, he's not stupid. Not going to bust ass just to be a team guy....ill be there for preseason game 4 then we'll roll

I disagree.  He turned down a very decent multi year offer from the Ravens (deal was apparently for 3 years around 21 million).  He's banking on a one year prove it deal to make more dough down the line.  The problem is he's 29, lost a step, and comes with his baggage.  I don't want whatever QB we have to be feel pressured to get Dez the ball.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe the new WR coach, Terry Robiskie, will help Zay 

The old one was Zays college coach,  must have sold McD a Bill of goods but got figured out that he was no good. Now we're stuck with his protege <_<

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

56 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's what YOU think. Not necessarily what the coaches think.

We do in fact have NFL quality receivers.  Its just that their level of quality appears to be a bunch of guys who in most NFL squads would be non-starter 4th options at WR except for Benjamin.

Benjamin got off to a very good start as a rookie (over a thousand yards receiving as a rook is quite impressive.  One need only look at his substantial size, very good speed, and initial production to label him a legit #1.  The problem though is an injury history in his career after his impressive rookie start that he has yet to play anything like a full season since his rookie start.

The loss of uber speedy and geat receiver in college and high draft pick Jones for a period at least being the entire preseason, likely a lot more (4 games, 8 games who knows and unlikely but possible his odd off field behavior, these Bills will need to find 1. A legit #2 who forces opponents to worry about more than Benjamin, 3. Find a tough talented slot guy actually capable of starting 60% of O plays on most NFL teams, 3. Have a legit starter in waiting as your #4 guy for empty backfield plays and to step in at one of three positions which actually call for different skillsets (our starter needs to consistently cause a problem for opponents best CB and we hope can force the opponent to DT him, making his teammates better performers, our #2 needs some overwhelming great skill like Jones's speed which alters opposing Ds. 3. A tough guy not afraid to play from that battlefield none as the slot. The question is whether any our NFL quality but late draft pick quality choices at best can rise above the likely # 4 or #5 options to become a legit #2 or #3.

Lightening in a bottle is hard to do once and planning to do it twice (3 times if Benjamin ends up on IR) seems pretty impossible.

12 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t think the situation is comparable. We don’t have NFL caliber WRs. We are in desperate need. More so then any other team in the entire league.

True but ours are not that much worse than what they have in Dallas where they tried and failed to get Sammy Watkins and WR is a real need. They have no use for Dez even in that context. 

3 hours ago, KingRex said:

We do in fact have NFL quality receivers.  Its just that their level of quality appears to be a bunch of guys who in most NFL squads would be non-starter 4th options at WR except for Benjamin.

Benjamin got off to a very good start as a rookie (over a thousand yards receiving as a rook is quite impressive.  One need only look at his substantial size, very good speed, and initial production to label him a legit #1.  The problem though is an injury history in his career after his impressive rookie start that he has yet to play anything like a full season since his rookie start.

The loss of uber speedy and geat receiver in college and high draft pick Jones for a period at least being the entire preseason, likely a lot more (4 games, 8 games who knows and unlikely but possible his odd off field behavior, these Bills will need to find 1. A legit #2 who forces opponents to worry about more than Benjamin, 3. Find a tough talented slot guy actually capable of starting 60% of O plays on most NFL teams, 3. Have a legit starter in waiting as your #4 guy for empty backfield plays and to step in at one of three positions which actually call for different skillsets (our starter needs to consistently cause a problem for opponents best CB and we hope can force the opponent to DT him, making his teammates better performers, our #2 needs some overwhelming great skill like Jones's speed which alters opposing Ds. 3. A tough guy not afraid to play from that battlefield none as the slot. The question is whether any our NFL quality but late draft pick quality choices at best can rise above the likely # 4 or #5 options to become a legit #2 or #3.

Lightening in a bottle is hard to do once and planning to do it twice (3 times if Benjamin ends up on IR) seems pretty impossible.

What happened to points 2 and 4?  Ha Ha ?

31 minutes ago, cd1 said:

What happened to points 2 and 4?  Ha Ha ?

Them gosh darn Russian hackers.  Messing with American elections is one thing, but tey cross another line when they mess with The Stadium Wall!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Benjamin and Kerley are solid starting WR's. 

Benjamin is a very strong 2 (needs to stay healthy to be a legit 1)

Kerley is a solid slot guy.

Problem is we need a proven 1 or another strong 2.  Zay is a complete question mark at this point and then we have a bunch of 4/5 level vets and some rookies competing to fill that void.

We have good pass catching RB's and solid TE play so perhaps Daboll can get creative there if nobody else steps up at WR.

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Problem is we need a proven 1 or another strong 2.  Zay is a complete question mark at this point and then we have a bunch of 4/5 level vets and some rookies competing to fill that void.

We have good pass catching RB's and solid TE play so perhaps Daboll can get creative there if nobody else steps up at WR.

Yes. This is the reality. People saying we have nothing at WR or have the worst WR group in the NFL are just fear mongering. We'll be fine. Is it a super strong group? No. Should we be looking to upgrade when the opportunity arises? Yes. Should we be running around like chickens with their heads cut off? No.

And I feel the same way about the oline. It'll be ok. It needs some upgrades, but it will be fine.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Sal C was on WGR this morning and said that he feels Brandon Reilly has a very good chance of snapping up the #2 if Zay continues to be out.

Said that the staff really likes him.  He also had Rod Streater up there as a potential.

Just now, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Kid had 4 years of incredible production in college, never injured, never got into trouble and had one of the worst rookie seasons I can ever remember lol

Makes you feel like he's destined for a dramatic bounceback.. He's the stuff NFL Sunday Countdown stories are made of.  We can certainly hope..

17 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

No, Robinson made 90 as per WGR yesterday...roster full. Allen's signing meant they had to make a cut. Pelopoi was the choice.

But I just counted 99 on BB.com. Im not sure who counts and who don't,but guessing non-guaranteed contracts don't count.  Robinsons name is there, and Pelopoi's is not, so its been updated....

Yeah I'm seeing 89 on the BB.com roster now including Zay Jones (Active NFI means he counts). So Allen + Robinson made 90. Removing Palepoi brought them back to 89, I guess

40 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Kid had 4 years of incredible production in college, never injured, never got into trouble and had one of the worst rookie seasons I can ever remember lol

Some people use under production as a way of ensuring they won't have to stay in an unwanted position very long. If you get my drift.

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe the new WR coach, Terry Robiskie, will help Zay 

Well his old coach, who was his college coach AND one who recommended him, could not get him up to speed and was let go.

There has to be a connection there.

13 hours ago, Augie said:

This is probably way off, but did it seem like Zay was never on the same page with Tyrod for some reason? But did it look a little more “natural” with Mr Peterman? That could just be me.... I know, it sounds crazy as I type it, but...it was like magnets repelling for some reason.... There was just NO comfort level with those two. Zay was used to timing maybe? Tyrod was used to...................waiting? And then maybe waiting some more? 

His disappointing season could also have at least partially led to his questionable offseason. I’m not letting anyone off the hook, just wondering about natural possibilities. 

Yes blame it on Tyrod.  Sounds extremely crazy with venom.  His WR coach sucked and it was a mistake to hire him.

13 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

the timing and ball placement of tyrod vs. nate was night and day. nate was throwing with anticipation and it helped with rac and at least not putting a player at risk of injury. often times and i can think of a few examples, it looked like the receivers weren't expecting the ball to be there and looked startled. they weren't used to that with tyrod. that's what we need and i think that will improve no matter whose throwing the ball.  i think allen will do good at leading or throwing guys open just due to the speed of his throws.

The defenders certainly knew when the ball was coming!

10 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Considering the reputation that McD has earned since arriving in Buffalo, it's getting harder to see how Zay Jones fits the process. The fact that he is still being considered a virtual lock to make the roster, with many still considering him the assumed #2, speaks more to our dismal WR situation than anything else, IMO.

Lots of things perceived by press and fans are wrong like Bills were trying to tank last year.\

I think Jay was coached real well what to say in interviews with prospective teams.

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

if he doesn’t pan out they can blame whales 

Sorry, but they got to blame Whaley for last season. THIS season is on their dime!

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Well his old coach, who was his college coach AND one who recommended him, could not get him up to speed and was let go.

There has to be a connection there.

Yes blame it on Tyrod.  Sounds extremely crazy with venom.  His WR coach sucked and it was a mistake to hire him.

So it was his reciever coaches fault? 

Give blame where blame is do Z. Jones. At best he will be a medicore slot reciever. More likely he is gone next year.

McD probably will keep him on the roster this year. Reason being he moved up for him in his first draft. It doesn't matter

what he put up in college. He is with the big boys now. 

His hotel run was the best play he made since 'arriving' in the NFL. 

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Nope, that’s not what I’m doing at all. The venom thing seems a bit sensitive, because that’s not the case at all (except maybe in your mind if you jumped to that). FYI - I was never a Tyrod hater. I thought he was a middle of the pack (or slightly lower) NFL starting QB. For some reason, these two guys never developed any chemistry. It could be some very real drops caused a lack of confidence for both guys, it’s hard to say. That’s on two guys, and might have changed given more time and reps. Some QB/WR pairs just have better chemistry than others, and it can change over time. 

Wow - just listened to the pre-training camp presser with Coach McD and Brandon Beane.  

I could have sworn that Beane alluded to the fact that one of the injuries (at least) was not related to football and sounds like one of Zay's surgeries was to fix an injury due to his off season "come to Jesus event".

Certainly, I could be wrong but...

28 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Wow - just listened to the pre-training camp presser with Coach McD and Brandon Beane.  

I could have sworn that Beane alluded to the fact that one of the injuries (at least) was not related to football and sounds like one of Zay's surgeries was to fix an injury due to his off season "come to Jesus event".

Certainly, I could be wrong but...

....if the second surgery (not torn labrum) was related to his "romp", he's on a helluva lot shorter leash than I thought.....

Bills GM Brandon Beane termed Zay Jones' (knee) placement on the active/NFI list as the team "just being smart."

"We're probably holding Zay Jones back more than Zay is holding himself back," Beane said. "Just being smart with having him on NFI right now." Coach Sean McDermott took a tougher tone, deeming Jones "behind." Jones is on the spot after his wildly disappointing rookie season.

Jul 26 - 4:24 PM

6 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

NFI, hopefully not related to his mental health.  If it is, this could last a while.  The guy on that video was clearly not well.

Apparently not mental, but related to that troubling incident hence NFI.  Per Tim Graham, deep laceration below his kneecap required surgical repair.

below is Athletic link but can read with free trial:

https://theathletic.com/447403/2018/07/26/bills-place-zay-jones-on-non-football-injury-list-as-he-continues-recovery-from-surgery/

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Apparently not mental, but related to that troubling incident hence NFI.  Per Tim Graham, deep laceration below his kneecap required surgical repair.

https://theathletic.com/447403/2018/07/26/bills-place-zay-jones-on-non-football-injury-list-as-he-continues-recovery-from-surgery/

Man hope that kid can turn things around, not just for football reasons. 

8 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

if he doesn’t pan out they can blame whales 

have they ever blamed anyone for anything ?
just moved on.

I expect they are wishing for for trade offer lol

8 hours ago, Best Player Available said:

So it was his reciever coaches fault? 

Give blame where blame is do Z. Jones. At best he will be a medicore slot reciever. More likely he is gone next year.

McD probably will keep him on the roster this year. Reason being he moved up for him in his first draft. It doesn't matter

what he put up in college. He is with the big boys now. 

His hotel run was the best play he made since 'arriving' in the NFL. 

still waiting for the PI flag for the window impeding his route.
maybe he thought his brother would get the flag for holding? and   a 1st down awarded.  who tf knows where this kid is at mentally.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Never heard where all that blood came from.  Let's hope he gets it together.