Howard Simon Tries To Do 1 Pull Up For Charity

A very funny bit this week between Howard and Jeremy.  When talking NHL combine, Howard claimed he could do 3 pull-ups.  Jeremy said now way, so they raised money for charity and he attempted to do 1. The result is pretty funny.  Pull-ups are really tough especially when you are carrying a few extra LB’s.  

Ironically many people on Twitter were joking about Howard’s “dad shoes.”  Nike Air Monarchs I guess. 

Question is....how many pull-ups could you do?  I might be able to do 1.... but probably more like 1/2.

Anyway enjoy....

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

What is wrong with these people?  I can literally do 15 pull ups, no problem.  Sure I'm bragging but in all sincerity, I didn't know grown men were unable to do pull ups.  Is this common?

Have you tried?  It’s really hard.  Also it’s a pull-up and not a chin up where you bring your grip on.  A wide arm pull-up is ridiculously tough

Edited by BuffaloRush

he just doesn't work out and his muscles are gone. I regularly do 3 sets of 12-15 but that's just my routine. i haven't tried to work on it enough to do more.  when i was in high school i could do over 30.  i had one of those chuck norris total gyms and i worked on that all the time. 

Where's Bandit so he can tell us how he does 35 using only one arm? :lol:

Seriously though, I can do probably around 15 before having to take a break. And yes, the wider the grip the harder they are. 

7 minutes ago, H2o said:

Seriously though, I can do probably around 15 before having to take a break. And yes, the wider the grip the harder they are. 

Hey now...at my best, I could do 30 with a really stable bar.

Of course, I wasn't really an endurance guy; my real talent on the pull-up bar was doing weighted chin-ups.  My all-time record was body weight + 110 lbs for 2 reps from a dead hang.

And for those asking, yes, you'd be utterly shocked at how many grown men cannot do 1 pull-up.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Have you tried?  It’s really hard.  Also it’s a pull-up and not a chin up where you bring your grip on.  A wide arm pull-up is ridiculously tough

Yes, I do two sets of 15 pull ups every time I do back, which is once a week.  

• Like (+1) 2

i'm fat, i use the assisted pull up machine at planet fitness, i was totally intimidated by it because i didn't think i'd even be able to do one, but as time went on, i kept decreasing the amount of 'assist' still couldn't do one unassisted.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd be willing to bet that over 50% of adult males over 30 cannot do a single one.  If you don't work out and are even a little overweight, you have no shot IMO.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Yes, I do two sets of 15 pull ups every time I do back, which is once a week.  

are you doing pull-ups (Palms facing away from you) or chin-ups (Palms facing towards you)?...it's usually harder for ppl that dont work out reg to do pull-ups over chin-ups...how much weight are you lifting compared to Howard?...you sound like like one of those guys that tries to tell everyone that from your first lift ever you could bench a car

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

I'd be willing to bet that over 50% of adult males over 30 cannot do a single one.  If you don't work out and are even a little overweight, you have no shot IMO.

i would say it is way closer to 80% of men over 18 could not do a true pullup. 

1 hour ago, metzelaars_lives said:

What is wrong with these people?  I can literally do 15 pull ups, no problem.  Sure I'm bragging but in all sincerity, I didn't know grown men were unable to do pull ups.  Is this common?

tell ya what...tomorrow we do a periscope..you do 15 pull ups , real ones, I donate $50 to any charity you want..you dont, you donate to my charity..ya in?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I met a professional rock climber who could do 1 arm pull ups. He also did pull ups with only one finger on each hand. He'd switch off which fingers he used to build finger strength. He was insane.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Someone who works out (and works the upper back in particular) should be able to do 10-15 no problem. But for people who have a few extra pounds and haven't been working out, pull ups are really friggin' hard.

Wow, Howard has really gotten fat.  Haven't seen him in years.

They are doing them with what I'd consider a "reverse" hand grip.  Their palms should be facing their body, not away from their body.  Shouldn't they?

53 minutes ago, MJS said:

I met a professional rock climber who could do 1 arm pull ups. He also did pull ups with only one finger on each hand. He'd switch off which fingers he used to build finger strength. He was insane.

My son was doing single one arm pull ups with either arm. he was training in  some forms of Kung fu pretty heavily. great shape and  an arrogant show off !!!

jk

I have a bar wedged between my bedroom and living. Reminds me to use it !!

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

tell ya what...tomorrow we do a periscope..you do 15 pull ups , real ones, I donate $50 to any charity you want..you dont, you donate to my charity..ya in?

In.  Although I don't know what a periscope is.  I'll take a video and post it on here.  Deal?

1 hour ago, Tsaikotic said:

are you doing pull-ups (Palms facing away from you) or chin-ups (Palms facing towards you)?...it's usually harder for ppl that dont work out reg to do pull-ups over chin-ups...how much weight are you lifting compared to Howard?...you sound like like one of those guys that tries to tell everyone that from your first lift ever you could bench a car

Not sure where you're going with this one.  I lift weights.  I can't be the only one on here who goes to the gym.  If you go the gym and you lift back, you should be able to do plenty of pull ups.  It would be weird if you went to the gym 5-6 days a week for 20 years and couldn't do a fair amount of pull ups.  

Edited by metzelaars_lives
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

I would bet that a lot of guys between 18 and 30 could do at least one.

1 hour ago, MDH said:

Someone who works out (and works the upper back in particular) should be able to do 10-15 no problem. But for people who have a few extra pounds and haven't been working out, pull ups are really friggin' hard.

I get that.  I was just surprised that people couldn't do one.  I was shocked when Casey Middelstadt couldn't do one but then I figured, he wasn't a man yet.  I didn't know a man couldn't do a pull up.

3 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

A very funny bit this week between Howard and Jeremy.  When talking NHL combine, Howard claimed he could do 3 pull-ups.  Jeremy said now way, so they raised money for charity and he attempted to do 1. The result is pretty funny.  Pull-ups are really tough especially when you are carrying a few extra LB’s.  

Ironically many people on Twitter were joking about Howard’s “dad shoes.”  Nike Air Monarchs I guess. 

Question is....how many pull-ups could you do?  I might be able to do 1.... but probably more like 1/2.

Anyway enjoy....

A few extra pounds? That’s like carrying a boat anchor.

3 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Depends.  Have you had any injuries? I had both shoulders' labrum torn shoveling snow and surgery on both including joints with bone shaving.  Very difficult to even get arms in that position.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Wow, Howard has really gotten fat.  Haven't seen him in years.

They are doing them with what I'd consider a "reverse" hand grip.  Their palms should be facing their body, not away from their body.  Shouldn't they?

I could have sworn he lost a bunch of weight with Jenny Craig a few years ago

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

In.  Although I don't know what a periscope is.  I'll take a video and post it on here.  Deal? 

Not sure where you're going with this one.  I lift weights.  I can't be the only one on here who goes to the gym.  If you go the gym and you lift back, you should be able to do plenty of pull ups.  It would be weird if you went to the gym 5-6 days a week for 20 years and couldn't do a fair amount of pull ups.  

Maybe its because I broke my shoulders, but I still find doing real pull ups to full extension (i.e., hanging with shoulder blades slack) quite difficult.  I can rep out a bunch neutral grip or 3/4 extension pull ups, or even full extension shoulder blades engaged, but from hanging position, that **** is hard.  And I hit the gym 3-4 days a week.

I'm in reasonable to good shape and I need assist to do full sets.  I could probably do ag least 6 without I would think.  Pull ups are no joke.  I had zero expectation that Howard could do 1

I do have a bit of shoulder trouble though

Edited by May Day 10

48 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I don't think I've attempted a pull up in nearly 20 years. I'd like to say that I could do one but I'm not exactly confident.

And no, I don't even lift, bro.

This. When I was in the army eons ago, in my best physical shape on my best day 10 was a big number. 

I think dudes with short arms have a distinct advantage over taller guys when it comes to pull-ups.

3 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

OKay.. I will trust ya. This should be our guide for what is acceptable pull-up form. BTW..i wanna be a Buff Dude!!!!!

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Maybe its because I broke my shoulders, but I still find doing real pull ups to full extension (i.e., hanging with shoulder blades slack) quite difficult.  I can rep out a bunch neutral grip or 3/4 extension pull ups, or even full extension shoulder blades engaged, but from hanging position, that **** is hard.  And I hit the gym 3-4 days a week.

Stability of the bar and arm length have a lot to do with the leveraged and biomechanics too

I used to not be able to one unassisted.  I started with a leg on a chair.  Then I did what I could unassisted and finished the set assisted.  Now 3 sets of 10 unassisted is in my workout.  I actually surprised myself getting this far. 

3 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Also, upon watching myself, I don’t go all the way back down in between pull ups (don’t think anyone does when doing a set), I go about 2/3 of the way down.  You tell me.

I think that was my somewhat my point..lots o people say they do a puulup..but not all the way! and correct You do all good ones on Thursday or Friday, I will make the donation! No video required, just your word!

BTW, ain't no GD way I can even do one!

Here’s the video of his efforts: https://www.pscp.tv/w/1LyxBrXYbZkxN

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

I think that was my somewhat my point..lots o people say they do a puulup..but not all the way! and correct You do all good ones on Thursday or Friday, I will make the donation! No video required, just your word!

BTW, ain't no GD way I can even do one!