Shots Fired! Tim Graham calls out Vic Carruci for Posing with The Biscuit

7 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I must back you up on this one. No one “fishes” for things on twitter. Using that term makes me think they don’t know how twitter works. It just shows up in your timeline. I saw the same thing since I follow Graham.

Being on twitter is essentially fishing.    I know this is lost on some people but twitter is really not part of "your timeline".    Twits are like women who go to get their nails done to hear the other ladies gossip then claim they "couldn't help but overhear".

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Not a bad guess.  But unless I'm missing something, we all HAVE to guess because whatever VC said to TG was likely said in a private manner.

Actually doesn't sound private at all.     A text would have covered that.   Perhaps complaints were made within the office or to management?      

The woman was arrested a year later and charged with being part of a well-established drug distribution ring.  She had multiple felony counts, and at the time had alleged that Bennett left her traumatized and unable to work.  I don't think it is fair to assume any more about Bennett's plea than what it was - a misdemeanor.  Seems like this is a story where there are definitely two sides, and it is certainly possible Bennett took the plea to get on with his life with minimal impact.  Of course, the opposite could be true too, but this woman was not a pillar of the community, it appears.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bennetts-accuser-arrested/

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Being on twitter is essentially fishing.    I know this is lost on some people but twitter is really not part of "your timeline".    Twits are like women who go to get their nails done to hear the other ladies gossip then claim they "couldn't help but overhear".

So... you’re saying when I go get a pedi I can now tell people that I’m going fishing? Cuz no one would judge me for that. SWEET!

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Didn't he correct himself? 

You could call it that, sure. Does that matter to Vic Carucci? To the other people in that picture now associated with the first tweet? To the entire Jim Kelley event? 

Timmah needs to stick to features only, where he can better use his overly emotional appeals and where he has more time to actually research FACTS before spouting off and smearing people.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

No, he's a douche because he falsely accused someone of being convicted for a crime he didn't commit on a public platform and chose the Jim Kelley event to do it. 

Oh and NOW he didn't commit the crime?   Didn't realize he was tried and found innocent.    Thought he plead to a lesser charge and served jail time.  

Maybe you and Tim should choose your words more carefully.  

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh and NOW he didn't commit the crime?   Didn't realize he was tried and found innocent.    Thought he plead to a lesser charge and served jail time.  

Maybe you and Tim should choose your words more carefully.  

He stated Bennett was convicted of RAPE; that crime. Nobody here suggested Bennett didn’t commit a crime and plead guilty to a misdemeanor.  But in your typical intellectually dishonest fashion, you must move the goal posts and twist other people’s words to make a futile point.

You are the LAST person to suggest anyone here should choose their words carefully. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes you are defending Bennett........the sentence before was LITERALLY an excuse.    LITERALLY.    I think No Saint was trying to get you to clarify that you weren't defending him but then you doubled down in response to me.

Whatever you say, Badol.  For anyone else, no, it's not defending Bennett.  If someone does something illegal or unethical (and what Bennett did was reportedly both), whether or not they were in a mental state to "figure" does not change whether what they did was illegal or unethical.

It's not defending them, or what they did, to point out that YOUR take on the matter " figured he could just rape said person without consequence because of her less-than-stellar criminal record so he did........because he was a scumbag"  could well be your creation and have nothing to do with the actual decision making process (or lack thereof).  Because unless you were there or have some inner insight into Bennett's thought processes at the time, how can you know?   It sounds like you're MSU.   But now, through some magical transmogrification, critiquing BadOl's creative writing becomes defending Bennett.

I really don't think the logic there this is too hard to follow, but by all means, My Post is Your Soap - carve it to suit yourself.

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Actually doesn't sound private at all.     A text would have covered that.   Perhaps complaints were made within the office or to management?      

Just speculating here, but Graham is friends with JS and BG, and given recent events there perhaps some bad blood exists there over that. Always remember that Vic did a stint at nfl.com too, and that's a place with some corporate shill-ish/propaganda-ish tendencies. Regardless, I don't dislike Carucci as a reporter and think Graham was definitely out of line. But there's a decent chance that recent workplace layoff misery has generated some backbiting and taking of names. Note also that unlike Graham, Carucci had no positive tweets about his two longtime colleagues who were forced to resign. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

The woman was arrested a year later and charged with being part of a well-established drug distribution ring.  She had multiple felony counts, and at the time had alleged that Bennett left her traumatized and unable to work.  I don't think it is fair to assume any more about Bennett's plea than what it was - a misdemeanor.  Seems like this is a story where there are definitely two sides, and it is certainly possible Bennett took the plea to get on with his life with minimal impact.  Of course, the opposite could be true too, but this woman was not a pillar of the community, it appears.

The women’s arrest has no bearing on being a victim of sexual abuse. None. Criminals can be victims of sexual assault just as much as a saint.

Edited by K-9

18 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Yeah because a high profile athlete or celebrity slapping around a hooker would be unheard of. Common man.

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What I don't "get" is why you appear to be defending Graham's behavior of using Jim Kelly's charity event and a sensationalized or inflated crime above what Bennett pled guilty to and served his sentence for, and moved on, to allegedly "settle a score" with a co-worker in public.

Is that behavior OK with you? 

15 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The women’s arrest has no bearing on being a victim of sexual abuse. None. Criminals can be victims of sexual assault just as much as a saint.

Agreed.  Although in our real world, the credibility of a sexual assault victim is (regrettably) known to influence the outcome of the case. 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed.  Although in our real world, the credibility of a sexual assault victim is (regrettably) known to influence the outcome of the case. 

That’s true about credibility and prosecutors and defense lawyers hammer it all the time. But in this case, Bennett’s guilty plea supports her credibility as a victim.

2 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

So Tim Graham is a douche bc Bennett assaulted a female and was ultimately held accountable?

No, Tim Graham is a douche because he used a photo from Jim Kelly's charity event to apparently "settle a score" with a co-worker, and publicly made an inaccurate statement about the criminal conviction of a former Bills player in the process.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That’s true about credibility and prosecutors and defense lawyers hammer it all the time. But in this case, Bennett’s guilty plea supports her credibility as a victim.

She had a physical injury that just doesn't happen in a fight or by falling down or walking into a door. She was a very credible victim. :(

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

i don't agree.  Bennett was charged with charged with rape, sodomy, sexual abuse and unlawful imprisonment (several felonies).  He pled guilty to sexual misconduct (a misdemeanor) and served 36 days. 

That's the sort of plea bargain a prosecutor typically agrees to when he doesn't think he has the a witness with the credibility to make the felony charges stick in court, despite physical injuries.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

i don't agree.  Bennett was charged with charged with rape, sodomy, sexual abuse and unlawful imprisonment (several felonies).  He pled guilty to sexual misconduct (a misdemeanor) and served 36 days. 

That's the sort of plea bargain a prosecutor typically agrees to when he doesn't think he has the a witness with the credibility to make the felony charges stick in court.

Good point. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

She had a physical injury that just doesn't happen in a fight or by falling down or walking into a door. She was a very credible victim. :(

She had a physical injury consistent with her story. 

That is not the same thing as being a credible victim for a prosecutor to present to a jury in court. 

I don't enjoy saying that, I don't agree with saying that, but it is what it is.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Timmy can call people out as he pleases; but he should be smart enough to understand, "a time and a place."

Every time and place is Timmah's time and place.

Heaven forbid he has enough self-awareness to keep keep his powder dry about something he saw at Jim Kelly's golf event, on a day it's announced Kelly is getting the Jimmy V award.

That would just require some self-awareness, and that's not Timmah's strong suit.

Edited by LABillzFan
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's the sort of plea bargain a prosecutor typically agrees to when he doesn't think he has the a witness with the credibility to make the felony charges stick in court, despite physical injuries.

The felony charge stemmed form the victim account and the physical evidence.  Hence the rape charge.  As everyone is familiar in these stories involving NFL players, it's going to be difficult to get a felony conviction unless the victim is absolutely committed to helping put him in jail for a long time.

So it gets pleaded down to what is acceptable to all--and a win for the prosecution.

Still, I have no problem with calling him a convicted rapist--by any definition, he raped her.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The felony charge stemmed form the victim account and the physical evidence.  Hence the rape charge.  As everyone is familiar in these stories involving NFL players, it's going to be difficult to get a felony conviction unless the victim is absolutely committed to helping put him in jail for a long time.

So it gets pleaded down to what is acceptable to all--and a win for the prosecution.

Still, I have no problem with calling him a convicted rapist--by any definition, he raped her.

Everyone is looking at it from the same side.

What NFL player worth millions is accepting jail time in a plea deal if he didn’t do anything wrong? A guilty one. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Pretty sure Tim lost his job at ESPN for passing around offensive emails and making inappropriate jokes/comments around female coworkers so....

Are you freakin' kidding?  I mean, you aren't just playing on the recent history with Brandon, the past history with Whaley, that kind of thing?

Or maybe the victim that was later arrested in a drug ring, might have had something to do with Biscuit pleading down... in order to prevent other potential issues coming to light. Drugs were a black eye on the NFL during the 90s and whether Biscuit was guilty of rape or not, the fact is the phrase deal doesnt indicate he was guilty of those crimes, but potentially didnt need this case to go any further and potentially damage his name any further. Especially considering the victim was found to be in one of the biggest narcotics rings at that point in time.

I feel like some folks here need to watch the ESPN 30 for 30 about the Duke lacrosse team.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Everyone is looking at it from the same side.

What NFL player worth millions is accepting jail time in a plea deal if he didn’t do anything wrong? A guilty one. 

Not necessarily.    I personally think Bennett was probably guilty, at least of what he pled to, maybe more.  But his wife was pregnant, he was due to earn millions from the Falcons, and he was at risk to lose millions if he took the case to court, different misbehavior came to light, and the NFL suspended him (eg drug use).

Again, not trying to argue Bennett was not guilty, simply pointing out that people do plead guilty to misdemeanors at times, even if they could probably fight them and win, because they perceive themselves as losing more than they risk by having a misdemeanor as a criminal record.

40 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Every time and place is Timmah's time and place.

Heaven forbid he has enough self-awareness to keep keep his powder dry about something he saw at Jim Kelly's golf event, on a day it's announced Kelly is getting the Jimmy V award.

That would just require some self-awareness, and that's not Timmah's strong suit.

Incredible that BADOL called you out for a Tim Graham obsession when he's been all over this topic in full on damage control mode.  "Maybe he had a good reason guys!!!!!!"

It's quite a sight.

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Are you freakin' kidding?  I mean, you aren't just playing on the recent history with Brandon, the past history with Whaley, that kind of thing?

To PromoTheRobot: I do not have a link. I googled around and came up empty.

This happened a couple years ago on Twitter. Tim was doing a little Q&A, someone that knows him or knows of the situation was tweeting at him about how he lost his job at ESPN and evidently, it was because of inappropriate comments made around female staff and/or engaging in spreading offensive emails meant as jokes. I think he was technically asked to resign. Either way, Tim kinda scrambled to cover up whatever this dude was saying. I don't recall him ever really denying it and I think it was kept on the low. Tim left ESPN in 2008, I believe, and back then things were still kept quiet when it came to stuff like this. 

I can't say I have any proof, and I couldn't find any links about it. But you can check my post history if you want. I'm not one to make sh*t up or start rumors. I watched the whole thing unfold on Twitter and the way Tim reacted to it definitely indicated to me that there was some level of truth to what this dude was saying. Tim claimed he had to block him or report him to Twitter to "protect his family" or something but like I said, his reaction to it said he was blindsided by it and that the guy posting about it probably did have some legitimate knowledge of Tim's exit from ESPN. 

I respect Tim as a writer. I think he puts together some very good pieces. Where I waver on my respect for him is how he engages people on social media. He doesn't pop up on my feed as often anymore because I don't read or interact much with what he tweets but he always seemed to be engaging with trolls and people he surely felt superior to and typically ignored anyone with a decent question or counterargument to one of his articles. Seems like a fair number of sports journalists do this, though. I dunno if it's a ego thing or whatever but it gets old after a while. 

• Like (+1) 1