Roseanne Show cancelled by ABC after racist tweet

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

She did. 

It was 2 in the morning and I was ambien tweeting 

That's what she said.  I don't see that as blaming Ambien.  If I said I was drunk texting and am an idiot for doing so would your takeaway be that I was blaming alcohol?  It read like she was giving context to her ridiculously poor decision making.  

I don't know honestly I don't really care enough to continue on discussing it.  She was an idiot, paid the price for it, and now can fade back into obscurity.  I more was commenting on how every company has to have a social media manager who likes to be edgy.  This is one of those moments where I feel old as I just can't back social media.  It brings out the worst in people especially twitter where they can hide behind an alias and throw pot shots at everyone.  I am amazed though at how many people can stick their foot in their mouth in less than 140 characters.

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

They canceled the show but I think I saw somewhere they were thinking of maybe using the rest of the cast for something else.

Probably as guest stars on "The Big Bang Theory."

23 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The original show back in the day was great. Hilarious, and pushed a lot of progressive/liberal boundaries.

I was looking forward to the reboot, even with her red-hat character, because I figured she would once again do a decent job of bridging that divide. Maybe show that the extremists on the right could come back to earth on some things, while also showing their point of view. Especially with folks like John Goodman, Sarah Gilbert, and Wanda Sykes aboard.

But, NOPE.

The whole new season sucked, and Roseanne has gone fully off the rails. Instead of subtly bridging any gaps, she merely widened the divide.

The only thing funny about this entire debacle is the irony that she said she was doing this season to prove that Trump supporters werent racist bigots, and then lost her show for being exactly a racist bigot.

Good riddance, you disappointment.

Interesting take. I think you and I were watching two different shows.

Yes, she did the stupid kitty hat thing with the over-the-top character of Laurie Metcalf, but in spite of her character being a devout Trump supporter, she had a black granddaughter, and a grandson who dressed like a girl and wore makeup. Not only did she go to bat for the boy at school to dress as he wants, but she took a racist grocery store checkout girl to the shed for mocking a Muslim woman on food stamps...after paying for the woman's food when she barely had money of her own.

If that didn't show you 'extremists on the right' coming back to earth on some things, it may be you just didn't see what you wanted to see.

• Haha (+1) 1

But the late night mumblers can deride, insult and mock Trump and his family night after night with no reaction from the MSM, nor the networks that promote the nightly attacks.  I'm not a Trump guy, but it's hard not to notice the bias displayed.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Rico said:

No doubt if she makes the Planet of the Apes joke in her stand-up set instead of on Twitter, she still has her show.

I agree with that. I watch Comedy Central pretty regularly and anything goes as well as the stand up acts on Netflix. 

45 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

But the late night mumblers can deride, insult and mock Trump and his family night after night with no reaction from the MSM, nor the networks that promote the nightly attacks.  I'm not a Trump guy, but it's hard not to notice the bias displayed.

Your American birth right is to fight tyranny, authority.

Yes... He's the Prez... The Prez, no matter my guy or your guy... Is the lightening rod, the release for that birth right.

They aren't Kings & Queens.

It tests American Democracy, keeps it checked.

Roseanne ain't ****.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

50 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree with that. I watch Comedy Central pretty regularly and anything goes as well as the stand up acts on Netflix. 

Exactly. The easiest example being the Comedy Central Roasts, where I've heard far, far more outrageously racist jokes from blacks, whites, males, and females. Good stuff. :lol:

Edited by Rico

13 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Maybe... That's the idea behind it.  You don't want the Basket of Deplorables thinking this is acceptable.

I’m guessing there won’t be many deplorables who suddenly see the light thanks to ABC!

As for the idea behind it, that’s easy.  Allows ABC execs to bask in the ‘Resist’ glory at coastal elite cocktail parties for a couple weeks.  

Just now, KD in CA said:

I’m guessing there won’t be many deplorables who suddenly see the light thanks to ABC!

As for the idea behind it, that’s easy.  Allows ABC execs to bask in the ‘Resist’ glory at coastal elite cocktail parties for a couple weeks.  

True.  But why empower the hoi polloi masses. That's a danger zone.

KD... Preaching to choir... I agree for most part about the Coastal Elites.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You do make a point.

But the Electoral College was the safety valve, "sleeping Jesus"... 

Yup...only when it came time to use the real power of the EC and install the crooked insider, they went with the nut who won the election!  ? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, KD in CA said:

Yup...only when it came time to use the real power of the EC and install the crooked insider, they went with the nut who won the election!  ? 

Crooked Insider vs. Dangerous Demagogue

Something tells me founders would have looked inward for 4 years.

That is the real hoot.  People still swinging missing on the moral compass.

15 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Interesting take. I think you and I were watching two different shows.

Yes, she did the stupid kitty hat thing with the over-the-top character of Laurie Metcalf, but in spite of her character being a devout Trump supporter, she had a black granddaughter, and a grandson who dressed like a girl and wore makeup. Not only did she go to bat for the boy at school to dress as he wants, but she took a racist grocery store checkout girl to the shed for mocking a Muslim woman on food stamps...after paying for the woman's food when she barely had money of her own.

If that didn't show you 'extremists on the right' coming back to earth on some things, it may be you just didn't see what you wanted to see.

Fair enough take. I never said the show didnt do anything, it had it's moments. But ultimately wasnt the old Roseanne, and didnt do as much as the old show would have.

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Fair enough take. I never said the show didnt do anything, it had it's moments. But ultimately wasnt the old Roseanne, and didnt do as much as the old show would have.

It's been ages since I've seen an episode of the original run of the show.  Was the older daughter always such a horrible actress (other than brief time when she was replaced)?

8 minutes ago, shrader said:

It's been ages since I've seen an episode of the original run of the show.  Was the older daughter always such a horrible actress (other than brief time when she was replaced)?

haha, i think so, but I think it slid because she was a kid.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, shrader said:

John Goodman has long been the only really good main character type actor on that show.  The rest of them are just measured on a scale from "Most horrible" (Becky) to "Least Horrible" (Darlene).

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I, even as a lib, think they are blowing this out of proportion.

I don't agree with Roseanne.

Maybe... That's the idea behind it.  You don't want the Basket of Deplorables thinking this is acceptable.

so these intellectuals spend their time worrying about what "the Basket" is going to think of a TV show?

can they put that energy and time to something useful?

15 hours ago, Keukasmallies said:

Satire is not racism.    What part of the Planet of the Apes reference is close to anything said about Trump by the nightly shows?

1 hour ago, FappyTheClown said:

Just have Dan marry Darlene and keep the show going.

My answer would be, have Dan wake up from a dream, realizing that Roseanne had actually passed away years ago, and now he is married to either Leah Remini or Wanda Sykes.  Kind of a tribute to the awful ending of the original Roseanne series.

Edited by Buftex

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Satire is not racism.    What part of the Planet of the Apes reference is close to anything said about Trump by the nightly shows?

Samantha Bee is getting an award tonight. It's good to know that calling the President's daughter a "feckless ****" is ok now. It seems that joking that she seduce her father is ok too.

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

You're absolutely correct, the nightly crude, sexually explicit, demeaning comments about Trump and family are so much worse than reference to a movie.  Satire can be racism, but one probably won't long get away with calling racism satire.

Apparently Roseanne will be Joe Rogan's guest on his podcast tomorrow...Friday June 1.

Doesn't seem like anyone watched the Rogan clip I posted earlier.

He said she called him as they are friends and said she was drunk over Memorial Day weekend and on Ambien and is basically distancing herself from the content of the Tweet due to being under the influence.

She also told Joe she thought the woman she poked fun at was Jewish (like Roseanne) and didn't even know she is African American.

180529192930-valerie-jarrett-responds-ro

Edited by Fadingpain

19 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

You're absolutely correct, the nightly crude, sexually explicit, demeaning comments about Trump and family are so much worse than reference to a movie.  Satire can be racism, but one probably won't long get away with calling racism satire.

smh...

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Apparently Roseanne will be Joe Rogan's guest on his podcast tomorrow...Friday June 1.

Doesn't seem like anyone watched the Rogan clip I posted earlier.

He said she called him as they are friends and said she was drunk over Memorial Day weekend and on Ambien and is basically distancing herself from the content of the Tweet due to being under the influence.

She also told Joe she thought the woman she poked fun at was Jewish (like Roseanne) and didn't even know she is African American.

180529192930-valerie-jarrett-responds-ro

Does the muslim brotherhood have a large Jewish contingent?

9 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Waiting on the tidal wave of outrage over Samantha Bee calling Ivanka Trump a "feckless !@#$".

IMO, Bee's comments are grounds for getting canned too.  If a man called any woman a C*** on television, not to mention it's the POTUS daughter he's directing it at, not only would that show be cancelled but his career would all but be over.  

I have no idea why any woman would call another woman that name, ESPECIALLY in this alleged #metoo climate we're all marinating in. It's harassment all the same.   

I used to like Samantha Bee when she first started out but she ended up like Colbert where the only shtick they have (or want to have) is politics and if everyone is doing politics, you keep crossing lines to remain relevant.  

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, dpberr said:

IMO, Bee's comments are grounds for getting canned too.  If a man called any woman a C*** on television, not to mention it's the POTUS daughter he's directing it at, not only would that show be cancelled but his career would all but be over.  

I have no idea why any woman would call another woman that name, ESPECIALLY in this alleged #metoo climate we're all marinating in. It's harassment all the same.   

I used to like Samantha Bee when she first started out but she ended up like Colbert where the only shtick they have (or want to have) is politics and if everyone is doing politics, you keep crossing lines to remain relevant.  

The other thing that kind of goes in the face of the #metoo movement is that she said something to the effect of put on a low cut top and waltz if front of your dad, which objectifies women terribly.

Here's the actual quote:

“He listens to you! Put on something something tight and low cut and tell your father to f*cking stop it! Tell him it was an Obama thing, and see how it goes!” Bee suggested.

Edited by RaoulDuke79