McDermott wanted nothing do to with Brandon-Paul Hamilton WGR

3 hours ago, Rockpile233 said:

Hamilton always throws out comments like that. He has been doing it over Sabres lockeroom disfunction for a while, but never gets into details.

What cracks me up about Hamilton is, when something big with the Sabres happens, he puts on his matter of fact voice and says "oh yea, that's no surprise, I saw that coming a mile away" yet never even hinted at that thing happening before it actually happened.  

Must be nice to be paid as a reporter/commentator yet never actually break any news. 

5 hours ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

FWIW...

Paul Hamilton just said that there was an incident with Sean McDermott and Russ Brandon which led to McDermott cutting off Brandon from his area of the organization.

So, reading Vic Carruci's article in today's BN and connecting the dots, it simply appears that McD did not want Russ to have anything to do with the draft and/or war room.   If that indeed is the wall put up in front of Brandon, it makes Hamilton look like the absolute fool he is for protraying it as an "incident."   

These 'GR jamokes are the absolute worst...

The Pegulas have certainly seen their share of dysfunction during their ownership tenure(s): 

1) Ron Rolston taking over for Lindy Ruff

2) Tim Murray having such a toxic relationship with Ted Nolan that they ceased to speak

3) Tim Murray himself and his strange way with the media

4) Firing Dan Bylsma after 2 years because he was embroiled in a power struggle with Jack Eichel

5) Ted Black's mysterious termination

6) Doug Marrone quitting on them

7) Hiring Rex Ryan and pairing him with Doug Whaley

8) Allowing Doug Whaley to engage in power struggles with two coaching staffs

9) Letting Doug Whaley speak to the media and contradict his coaching staff

10) LATE ADD: The Pat Lafontaine debacle 

11) Russ Brandon scandal

12) Failed Tank and inadvertent second tank

13) The arena on Sabres gamenights

...........feel free to add more. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

So, reading Vic Carruci's article in today's BN and connecting the dots, it simply appears that McD did not want Russ to have anything to do with the draft and/or war room.   If that indeed is the wall put up in front of Brandon, it makes Hamilton look like the absolute fool he is for protraying it as an "incident."   

These 'GR jamokes are the absolute worst...

I would listen to what he said; it implies something different.

2 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

The Pegulas have certainly seen their share of dysfunction during their ownership tenure(s): 

1) Ron Rolston taking over for Lindy Ruff

2) Tim Murray having such a toxic relationship with Ted Nolan that they ceased to speak

3) Tim Murray himself and his strange way with the media

4) Firing Dan Bylsma after 2 years because he was embroiled in a power struggle with Jack Eichel

5) Ted Black's mysterious termination

6) Doug Marrone quitting on them

7) Hiring Rex Ryan and pairing him with Doug Whaley

8) Allowing Doug Whaley to engage in power struggles with two coaching staffs

9) Letting Doug Whaley speak to the media and contradict his coaching staff

10) LATE ADD: The Pat Lafontaine debacle 

11) Russ Brandon scandal

12) Failed Tank and inadvertent second tank

13) The arena on Sabres gamenights

...........feel free to add more. 

Allowing Rex Ryan to hire Rob Ryan after he ran the league's worst D

Terry Pegula suggesting someone represent the league "because you're black" (allegedly)

Incognito taking a pay cut then retiring

Eric Wood giving a "press conference' to announce he was ... hanging around but not playing

Anquan Boldin signing then quitting

Some oddities with various staff getting fired, equipment guys, office staff, the entire scouting dept, etc

I bet there are more...

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

You just don’t get the power a President of a company has over employees, do you?

And what happens if the woman becomes scorned and accuses Brandon of things and sues the Bills because she felt she had to have a relationship with him to keep her job?

Now do you get the picture?

I shook his hand once (Russell's),seriously,I could tell within minutes the man was arrogant and a control type.The people in the small circle just listened to him,I thought to myself "this guy is a (fill in the blank). Other folks at the fundraiser felt the same way....moorman (punter) was there....talk about a cool dude!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mead107 said:

What do the wife’s have to say? 

Brandon's wife was never/rarely in attendance for team dinners (although he did usually pack up food to-go for her). McDermott treats public ocassions like dinners differently. His wife is with him whenever appropriate. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

You can't go around hating others for different morals. Nobody like a self righteous chode either. 

Then again, morally bankrupt leadership (however effective: i.e. Russ securing a continuing stadium lease that was/is VERY costly to break) is no longer sustainable in an era of information transparency. Charming A-holes are on the ropes. 

8 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I hope so....I love soap opera NFL drama!

I hoped we were done with it and "Dysfunction Junction" was in the past, personally

8 hours ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

FWIW...

Paul Hamilton just said that there was an incident with Sean McDermott and Russ Brandon which led to McDermott cutting off Brandon from his area of the organization.

Linky?

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

Then again, morally bankrupt leadership (however effective: i.e. Russ securing a continuing stadium lease that was/is VERY costly to break) is no longer sustainable in an era of information transparency. Charming A-holes are on the ropes. 

I'm not really on Brandon's side on this, it's just the whole story is never told. Pegula's have a lot to thank Brandon for, but kinda of expected this. Pegula's are handsy owners and Brandon is just handsy for other reasons. 

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hoped we were done with it and "Dysfunction Junction" was in the past, personally

Dysfunction Junction what's your function? 

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hey hapless. You really had me thinking hard with your Allen question lol If I wrote my grades on draft night I would have given it a D lol I didn’t like it

But it’s growing everyday

but you definitely had me do more soul searching when you asked me what changed. to see why they did love him and I can honestly see why 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

^^^Reasonable take. I'll miss Brandon's business, personally. Had some amazing experiences serving major Bills celebrations over the last six years; McD and B are much less public about their affairs...

The dude just knew how to party. A real mans man. I'd throw back a few at the local pub. No wonder why Shady liked Brandon. 

7 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Brandon's wife was never/rarely in attendance for team dinners (although he did usually pack up food to-go for her). McDermott treats public ocassions like dinners differently. His wife is with him whenever appropriate. 

Really?

So McD knew Brandon was a rat before he even entered the building. Who warned him? Marrone? Did the Pegulas already sour on Brandon and warn him themselves? Or my pick Bill Polian.

I didn’t and still don’t think the Pegulas got this hire right on their own. I believe McD was recommended by Polian and that would explain why the owners would cater to McD’s wishes and keep Brandon away from him. It would also explain how he knew about Brandon before ever coming to Buffalo. 

Just my two cents. Go Celtics:P

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

So McD knew Brandon was a rat before he even entered the building. Who warned him? Marrone? Did the Pegulas already sour on Brandon and warn him themselves? Or my pick Bill Polian.

I didn’t and still don’t think the Pegulas got this hire right on their own. I believe McD was recommended by Polian and that would explain why the owners would cater to McD’s wishes and keep Brandon away from him. It would also explain how he knew about Brandon before ever coming to Buffalo. 

It may have been McD’s agent who not only warned him, but requested he and Whaley not be there and told McD not to consider the job if he was going to have to work with Whaley. Agents know everything. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

It may have been McD’s agent who not only warned him, but requested he and Whaley not be there and told McD not to consider the job if he was going to have to work with Whaley. Agents know everything. 

Was McD a strong HC candidate that the Pegulas basically allowed him to dictate his terms whilst calling their own FO toxic? When I was thinking about it I came to the conclusion that scenario plays out best when you have someone playing both sides, someone facilitating the hire.

The agent is definelty a possibility, If he was able to flex and get it done then good on him.

17 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Polian and the league's search committee, which is often overlooked. But they've had several success stories over the years; Tomlin being chief among them. 

19 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Was McD a strong HC candidate that the Pegulas basically allowed him to dictate his terms whilst calling their own FO toxic? When I was thinking about it I came to the conclusion that scenario plays out best when you have someone playing both sides, someone facilitating the hire.

The agent is definelty a possibility, If he was able to flex and get it done then good on him.

I think he was strong ... he has opportunities to interview with both LAC and SF at the time. There may have been others too but I’m just going off of memory. I think he ended up cancelling the LAC interview when he got the Bills job, but he was interviewing in SF when our offer came in, in fact he flew on Air Pegula from SF to OP to sign the contract. But it’s more about the fact he he had options - he could have just stayed at carolina. Asst coaches who are employed in good situations  don’t need to take every  HC interview they are contacted about, it has to be a good situation. 

I know a few guys who refused to interview in Cleveland for years until joe banner was gone. He had a horrible reputation and no gm wanted to work for him. Same thing when the Rams were in STL and guys wouldn’t work with Fisher. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I'm sure the Bills had a pretty strong reputation for how they did things on the football side.  That's why we get Jauron and Gailey and GMs like Nix and Whaley (and Marv and Russ).  I feel like Rex thought his bravado could mouth his way to success with any team and liked the $ offered.   But we also had Mularkey and Marrone put their careers on the line and walk out.

And up-and-comer isn't going to put his legacy and career in the shared hands with Russ Brandon.  Any strong coaching candidate they coveted would probably demand that sort of autonomy.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

You are overreacting and it's weird. Paul can say he heard there was an incident, he is correct in not detailing that incident if he doesn't have access to 3 sources who can verify it.

NO obvioulsy I was not.

Hamilton is nothign more than a gossiper. All of that crap coming form Paul was just gossip, and I have no place for that crap. I do not except it in any form. A rumor is one thing but to just go on the air and start spout gossip is sad

I guess lots of you just love gossip. It really irritates me which is one of the reason I do not participate in most social media. To much non sense being spread around and most peole are not capable of handling it properly.

I'm out.. gossip away.... I'll wait for factual info

15 hours ago, ddaryl said:

YES THERE IS !!!!

He has no proof but he makes a very generic statement that is now nothing but click bait. He says he can't prove it. SO its nothign more than hear say

Your opinion is nutty considering how much of this crap goes on every single day in modern journalism. Personal opinion and hearsay is not news and if you can't back it up with proof or have no source for the facts then do not say it.

Unbelievable what people hang their hats on these days.

pathetic

If the truth comes out great but without facts or a source willing to go on record, Paul is just another douche

dude, its not "click bait" because it was said on air, in an interview about the sabres...he said it rather casually as in "this guys was so awful, McDermott wouldn't even be in the same room with him",  and then said "I wont get into a specific instance they had because I cannot confirm it". So he is confirming McDermott really disliked Brandon but wouldn't confirm an occurrence between the two because he was not sure. That is good journalism. What is difficult to comprehend here? There are two separate statements, one in which he confirmed, and has now been confirmed by other sources (McD really disliked Brandon) and one he would not confirm (a specific occurrence between the two). 

click bait, lol 

12 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

NO obvioulsy I was not.

Hamilton is nothign more than a gossiper. All of that crap coming form Paul was just gossip, and I have no place for that crap. I do not except it in any form. A rumor is one thing but to just go on the air and start spout gossip is sad

I guess lots of you just love gossip. It really irritates me which is one of the reason I do not participate in most social media. To much non sense being spread around and most peole are not capable of handling it properly.

I'm out.. gossip away.... I'll wait for factual info

darryl is Russ?

44 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

dude, its not "click bait" because it was said on air, in an interview about the sabres...he said it rather casually as in "this guys was so awful, McDermott wouldn't even be in the same room with him",  and then said "I wont get into a specific instance they had because I cannot confirm it". So he is confirming McDermott really disliked Brandon but wouldn't confirm an occurrence between the two because he was not sure. That is good journalism. What is difficult to comprehend here? There are two separate statements, one in which he confirmed, and has now been confirmed by other sources (McD really disliked Brandon) and one he would not confirm (a specific occurrence between the two). 

click bait, lol 

darryl is Russ?

You got me.. Anyone lookng for a front office guy. I got references

It was click bait in the sense most people tran over to WGR to click the link to stream this stupidity

I don't have a link but the Marrone story I heard was that he planned to get the Pegulas to bring in Polian, who would have fired Whaley immediately and worked to get Russ out the door ASAP as well. It was a power play.

When it failed Marrone had no choice but to quit. How could he come back after trying to get bosses 2 levels up from him fired?

Take it for what it's worth as they say.