Cam Newton scouting report compares to Josh Allen

If in an imaginary world the bills got Cam Newton before the draft, most fans I would expect to be ecstatic. 

But in reality, Allen gets bashed before even putting on a bills uniform.

In no way am I comparing the 2, but I am an Allen supporter and hopeful he turns out to be our guy we have been waiting for

• Like (+1) 1

Well hopefully he is better than Cam Newton and less injury prone and talks allot less about nonsense. Cam was an absolute beast and won a national Championship at Auburn and played against allot of future NFLer's in the SEC and he was playing in the goat hill conference for Wyoming. Big difference.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

What really separates Newton is 4,320 rushing yards and 54 rushing TDs over his career. 

Definitely. Allen’s arm is also stronger. Not sure if that really matters so much.  I think what they plan to do with Allen is a short quick passing game.  He gets rid of the ball quick and the ball gets there faster than almost any qb ever which gives the playmakers more time to diagnose and move upfield.  Which opens up the deep ball. Now we just have to give him some playmakers and improve on his accuracy and footwork. ?? 

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

What really separates Newton is 4,320 rushing yards and 54 rushing TDs over his career. 

The biggest difference to me was that Newton shone when the lights were the brightest and the competition was the most fierce. 

Playing in the best conference in college football, and by far the best defensive conference, he went 14-0. He faced about 5 or 6 teams that ended up ranked in the top 25 that year.  Hell, Bama probably had 6 or 7 guys on their D who ended up being drafted in teh NFL, and LSU probably had a like number.

And yet he produced 50 td's passing and running, had a completion percentage over 65%, an insanely high ypa and passer rating. And he beat everyone he faced. You can talk about a difference in supporting cast, but can anyone name another player on Auburn's offense that year? 

Allen...not so much.

Without being TOO much of a cynic, the comparison can be what two guys do with the physical talent they have.  If its in anyway accurate, that doesn't look good for the home team.

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

Well hopefully he is better than Cam Newton and less injury prone and talks allot less about nonsense. Cam was an absolute beast and won a national Championship at Auburn and played against allot of future NFLer's in the SEC and he was playing in the goat hill conference for Wyoming. Big difference.

I will take Cam Newton without the antics.....which I think we have (the antics part) the rest of it we will have to see.

21 minutes ago, wppete said:

I bet If you look at Luke Kuechlys scouting report it looks similar to Tremain Edmunds.

Josh Allen - Cam Newton

Tremain Edmunds - Luke Kuechly

If Allen and Edmunds produce like Newton and Kuechly, we just won the draft!!!  

That's the type of draft that moves you to the front of the pack.  Let's hope so!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think there are some similarities in their game.  

The first things that stick out to me as far as differences is Cam is more athletic and a better overall runner.

Allen moves better in the pocket.  Allen actually slides away and steps up inside the pocket to create more time.  Allen just has to do that more consistently...still bails on phantom pressure of the clips that I watched.

27 minutes ago, Bills4life1924 said:

If in an imaginary world the bills got Cam Newton before the draft, most fans I would expect to be ecstatic. 

But in reality, Allen gets bashed before even putting on a bills uniform.

In no way am I comparing the 2, but I am an Allen supporter and hopeful he turns out to be our guy we have been waiting for

If in an imaginary world, Josh Allen was a former JUCO champion, BCS champion, and Heisman winner with 66% completion and 1400 yds rushing his last college year, most fans would be ecstatic too.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Not to mention that he won the National Championship at JUCO and D1. Sure he had good to great teams but he was a clear leader and winner. 

They are common in being unpolished shut huge talents... beyond that, spotty. Not terrible but spotty as a comparable 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He is.  I consider him a franchise QB but lower level one.  He's not elite.  He is way too inconsistent to be elite.

The group you are talking about has like 5 qbs in it......we should definately be happy if we ended up with a "low end franchise qb" whatever that actually means anyway

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

The Bills would have destroyed Newton, by not giving him the time nor surrounding him with the players he needed to develop.

This does not give me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Really?

Rookie Cam had Steve Smith, Greg Olsen, and Williams / Stewart.  That's ALL.  I don't think Shady / Clay / Benjamin is THAT far off what Cam was working with.

This shouldn't be surprising I guess. Beanes description of what a franchise QB looks like to him sounded an awful lot like Newton. Allen was the closest to that description, though there are many differences ;he was a late bloomer in a mediocre conference on a bad team. It's safe to say he sees a player capable of similar things in the NFL as Newton has done. It's also clear that his ideal franchise QB did not sound like Josh Rosen. Beane took a gamble on greatness, and it's too big a risk in my estimation. Admittedly I haven't done nearly the research that he and the Bills scouting department have, and it's not my job on the line either. I sure hope it works out and I'm rooting for the guy to be the QB we haven't seen around here in a long time. If he ends up a comparable of Newton, I'd be happy with that. 

48 minutes ago, wppete said:

I bet If you look at Luke Kuechlys scouting report it looks similar to Tremain Edmunds.

Josh Allen - Cam Newton

Tremaine isn't Luke. Luke had phenomenal instincts, but Tremaine just isn't there yet. He just makes up for it with raw athleticism.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yep. Some clear similarities, a bunch of differences.

Itll sound crazy at first but.... Andrew luck?

Prototype build, high IQ, sub-60% career completion percentage, big arm, mobile but not a big time runner... obviously very different pedigrees, but... would that be a better current comp for Allen’s upside (ignoring the shoulder injury)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NoSaint said:

Itll sound crazy at first but.... Andrew luck?

Prototype build, high IQ, sub-60% career completion percentage, big arm, mobile but not a big time runner... obviously very different pedigrees, but... would that be a better current comp for Allen’s upside (ignoring the shoulder injury)

It's Wentz. Identical measurables, FCS School, Same college coach & system, 2 full years of production. The whole shabang.

6 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Tremaine isn't Luke. Luke had phenomenal instincts, but Tremaine just isn't there yet. He just makes up for it with raw athleticism.

Agree , not the same player. He's still learning the position, so hopefully he improves in that area. He does have the ability to make up for a misstep though. 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Different offenses. Allen could easily run for 1,000 yards in Gus Malzahn's offense. Allen has that ability with his legs. 

What separates them is Newton's ability to put the team on his back. Make the plays to win games. 

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If in an imaginary world, Josh Allen was a former JUCO champion, BCS champion, and Heisman winner with 66% completion and 1400 yds rushing his last college year, most fans would be ecstatic too.

Got me there lol.. Guy has potential, he could pan out, he may not pan out. But fans/media bashing him should atleast give him a chance and Let's wait to see what happens before labeling him a bust.  

Everyone is gonna have their opinion I guess. 

8 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Agreed he is not there yet. However only 19, the most athletic ILB I have ever seen, incredible size and length and come from a football family. At the end of the day I believe Tremaine ends up a better ILB 

27 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Compared to Tyrod? Yes.

What about compared to our mythical Magical Franchise Man who will lead our team to glory and 5 SB wins?

6 minutes ago, Bills4life1924 said:

Got me there lol.. Guy has potential, he could pan out, he may not pan out. But fans/media bashing him should atleast give him a chance and Let's wait to see what happens before labeling him a bust.  

Everyone is gonna have their opinion I guess. 

Oh, agree completely on the "see what happens before calling him a bust" bit.  Someone else said it, draft grades right after the draft are pretty f*'in pointless.

As I've said before, I would have strongly preferred Rosen, not based on pundits but based on watching a buttload of game tape and scouting vid. - also my own previous errors of thinking two QBs with low completion % would improve.  I have my fears that our gang made a draft choice for non-football reasons. 

But even though Allen is raw I can also see obvious football reasons why some scouts would rank him higher.   And he's ours now, so I'll pull for his success!

4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

It's Wentz. Identical measurables, FCS School, Same college coach & system, 2 full years of production. The whole shabang.

Yea- I was trying to give a curveball that relied on traits and stepped away from pedigree. Wentz is the obvious choice but I think folks forget that luck is athletic and sub 60%. Identical wonderlic scores too. 

If you dropped allen at Stanford under harbaugh would we talk about them more similarly?

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Josh Allen - Cam Newton

Star - Star

Tolbert - Tolbert

Benjamin - Benjamin

On and on