WGR Hosts Scared Of On-Air Confrontation

Like most of you I have been listening to nearly all of WGR's coverage on the Bills draft.  It's been interesting hearing how strongly different personalities have expressed their views, but they seem to very timid to confront each other on-air.  In fact, I can't really remember a time when there was an argument on-air at WGR like I can with other sports talk show.  

Case and point - all morning Jeremy White was whinging that the Bills overspent to trade up for Allen citing the "draft charts" as evidence.  Later that morning, they bring Sal Capaccio on and Howard asked him point blank "did the Bills overspend," to which Sal emphatically responds "oh no" and then proceeds to respond why.  Not one challenge from Howard or Jeremy.  Then of course, after Sal hangs up, in a very condecending way Jeremy uses to Jimmy Johnson value chart explicitly say how the Bills overspent.  Why didn't he just disagree with Sal?

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-27-howard-and-jeremy-show-hr-2

On an unrelated note -  if you listen to hour 1, it's essentially Howard and Jeremy complaining about Josh Allen.  When a fan on Twitter told Howard to "say it to his face," he went on a 5 minute rant trying to walk back his comments.  Surprisingly, when Allen does an interview with Howard and Jeremy they act very nice and lob some softball questions.

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-27-newest-bills-qb-josh-allen-howard-and-jeremy

Later that afternoon, it's Schopp and the Bulldog.  Mike Schopp also rants about how he hated the Allen pick, why the Bills make dumb decisions, and again how they paid too much to trade up.  Bulldog (who seems scared to disagree with Schopp on anything) argues that the Bills "spent like a drunken sailer."  Mike then rants about the comments on Twitter and how that situations makes him not want to pull for Allen.

Wouldn't you know it...Sal comes on the air.  Again he talks about how he didn't think so.  Then the whole Twitter story comes out.  Sal does an excellent job explaining the situation and passionately shares why the tweets he made at 16 are not indicative of who he currently . Again, no response from Mike who previously said he didn't want to route for Allen because of the tweets.  

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/4-27-schopp-and-bulldog-hour-2

My thing is - if you are an on-air personality and you disagree with someone don't sit there and say "OK"

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

My thing is - if you are an on-air personality and you disagree with someone don't sit there and say "OK"

Their thing is - they don't really believe what they say, they just spout baseless opinions that rile up fans and fill time.  :D

Edited by Heitz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It was so depressing to listen to Howard and Jeremy in the morning. You would have thought someone close to them died. They are so convinced that they are right (Rosen is very good and Allen sucks because he has a low completion%) that they could not accept how an NFL team could see it differently. 

7 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Their thing is - they don't really believe what they say, they just spout baseless opinions that rile up fans and fill time.  :D

Right - but what would rile up fans more than an on-air debate.  Seems like it would be great radio.  When the outspoken hosts like Jeremy or Mike have a chance to defend their opinion to a colleague on air, they back down

1 minute ago, racketmaster said:

It was so depressing to listen to Howard and Jeremy in the morning. You would have thought someone close to them died. They are so convinced that they are right (Rosen is very good and Allen sucks because he has a low completion%) that they could not accept how an NFL team could see it differently. 

Howard sounded depressed

Just now, aristocrat said:

What are they gonna do?

When you argue that the Bills overspent in the draft and then your guest argues that they didn't - say something!  Mike has no problem arguing his point with callers - but he won't dare stand up to Sal.

3 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Let's keep this all in perspective.  Yes, the WGR guys have lots of obvious deficiencies. 

But remember when they actually had driveling idiots like Chuck Dickerson hosting shows??

When Jim Rome did a tour stop here many years ago,a young fella was jacking with him in the secured Coca Cola stadium VIP parking lot...good 'ole Chuck was ready to dance and toss a few. I'm not a small guy ..but when I stood next to him..I felt short. Big dude with a no pull punch attitude...I liked him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Like most of you I have been listening to nearly all of WGR's coverage on the Bills draft.  It's been interesting hearing how strongly different personalities have expressed their views, but they seem to very timid to confront each other on-air.  In fact, I can't really remember a time when there was an argument on-air at WGR like I can with other sports talk show.  

Case and point - all morning Jeremy White was whinging that the Bills overspent to trade up for Allen citing the "draft charts" as evidence.  Later that morning, they bring Sal Capaccio on and Howard asked him point blank "did the Bills overspend," to which Sal emphatically responds "oh no" and then proceeds to respond why.  Not one challenge from Howard or Jeremy.  Then of course, after Sal hangs up, in a very condecending way Jeremy uses to Jimmy Johnson value chart explicitly say how the Bills overspent.  Why didn't he just disagree with Sal?

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-27-howard-and-jeremy-show-hr-2

On an unrelated note -  if you listen to hour 1, it's essentially Howard and Jeremy complaining about Josh Allen.  When a fan on Twitter told Howard to "say it to his face," he went on a 5 minute rant trying to walk back his comments.  Surprisingly, when Allen does an interview with Howard and Jeremy they act very nice and lob some softball questions.

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-27-newest-bills-qb-josh-allen-howard-and-jeremy

Later that afternoon, it's Schopp and the Bulldog.  Mike Schopp also rants about how he hated the Allen pick, why the Bills make dumb decisions, and again how they paid too much to trade up.  Bulldog (who seems scared to disagree with Schopp on anything) argues that the Bills "spent like a drunken sailer."  Mike then rants about the comments on Twitter and how that situations makes him not want to pull for Allen.

Wouldn't you know it...Sal comes on the air.  Again he talks about how he didn't think so.  Then the whole Twitter story comes out.  Sal does an excellent job explaining the situation and passionately shares why the tweets he made at 16 are not indicative of who he currently . Again, no response from Mike who previously said he didn't want to route for Allen because of the tweets.  

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/4-27-schopp-and-bulldog-hour-2

Theyre professional. I think they’re good at what they do. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

Howard and Jeremy usually are good.  I have a hard time listening to Schopp and Bulldog but will for the interviews

I don’t hate Jeremy and Howard.  I don’t like them though.  Would prefer to listen to music or have the tv on in the background

6 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

When Jim Rome did a tour stop here many years ago,a young fella was jacking with him in the secured Coca Cola stadium VIP parking lot...good 'ole Chuck was ready to dance and toss a few. I'm not a small guy ..but when I stood next to him..I felt short. Big dude with a no pull punch attitude...I liked him.

...So what you are saying is that Chuck is the polar opposite of Mike Schopp?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t hate Jeremy and Howard.  I don’t like them though.  Would prefer to listen to music or have the tv on in the background

What makes me not want to listen is the fact that Simon can't remember jack...and White will help him with names because of the internet.

• Like (+1) 1

Schopp is the worse-- if you dont agree with him-- he will be condescending and/or hang up on you. Howard is a tool and should be embarrassed when he goes on his rants...but i like them because it makes me laugh. Jeremy believes he knows everything and Bullfrog is a bit of all three of them

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, 4thandGoal said:

Schopp is the worse-- if you dont agree with him-- he will be condescending and/or hang up on you. Howard is a tool and should be embarrassed when he goes on his rants...but i like them because it makes me laugh. Jeremy believes he knows everything and Bullfrog is a bit of all three of them

Except the fact that he seems to struggle to get his points out in mid-sentence.  Also scared to disagree with Mike

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I do not even listen to wgr anymore. I listened to Schopp and Simon since 107.7 days. These guys where just amazing back then, the sports symposium and everything they did. In fairness they have had to discuss Losing teams for a coup!e of decades. Now since J.Bus left I really only enjoy Sal. I feel like I am listening to a bitter divorced person talking about their ex. They are not Sully bad yet, but definate!y trending that way. I mean it's the draft, enjoy what your team has done, don't be the parents that run downstairs Christmas morning and tell the kids that Santa is make believe.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Rev.Mattb74 ESQ. said:

I do not even listen to wgr anymore. I listened to Schopp and Simon since 107.7 days. These guys where just amazing back then, the sports symposium and everything they did. In fairness they have had to discuss Losing teams for a coup!e of decades. Now since J.Bus left I really only enjoy Sal. I feel like I am listening to a bitter divorced person talking about their ex. They are not Sully bad yet, but definate!y trending that way. I mean it's the draft, enjoy what your team has done, don't be the parents that run downstairs Christmas morning and tell the kids that Santa is make believe.

What do you mean....Santa isn't real? All fuuudddddgggeeeeee.  (Sal is good).  

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Let's keep this all in perspective.  Yes, the WGR guys have lots of obvious deficiencies. 

But remember when they actually had driveling idiots like Chuck Dickerson hosting shows??

Yes well at least chuck maned up and told you his opinion. Unlike these wussies now at WGR 

You guys are such haters. They are not bad at all. I brought this up in a previous thread. I've lived in Ohio, Indiana, and North Carolina. Our guys in Buffalo blow these guys out of the water.

They are all allowed to have opinions, they are fans like we are. If you guys want Bills yes men, just listen to John Murphy only. Even if I disagree, I like to hear why they think what they do; they are very good at backing up their opinions. Other cities DO NOT have hosts like this.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Elite Poster said:

You guys are such haters. They are not bad at all. I brought this up in a previous thread. I've lived in Ohio, Indiana, and North Carolina. Our guys in Buffalo blow these guys out of the water.

They are all allowed to have opinions, they are fans like we are. If you guys want Bills yes men, just listen to John Murphy only. Even if I disagree, I like to hear why they think what they do; they are very good at backing up their opinions. Other cities DO NOT have hosts like this.

I’m saying.  If Mike is saying the Bills made a really bad and overspent, and Sal says “no they didn’t overspend at all.”  It’s seems logical for Mike to defend his opinion.  Instead he says nothing and moves on.  Defend you opinion

42 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

When you argue that the Bills overspent in the draft and then your guest argues that they didn't - say something!  Mike has no problem arguing his point with callers - but he won't dare stand up to Sal.

They are exercising professional courtesy and treating their colleagues with some respect.  I don't think you can blame them for that.

Should they perhaps stick up for their own opinions more than they do?  Perhaps.

Sal C. is more or less an idiot.  He says a lot of dumb things and often comes across like a glorified fan, which he fully admits he is.  It's not very professional for someone with his job.  Schopp could hang him out to dry in a debate but he chooses to refrain from that for obvious reasons.

I don't think you can blame them for choosing to operate in this manner.

BTW:  WGR-550 is no worse than a lot of local sports talk radio in this country.  Much of it is crap.

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

They are exercising professional courtesy and treating their colleagues with some respect.  I don't think you can blame them for that.

Should they perhaps stick up for their own opinions more than they do?  Perhaps.

Sal C. is more or less an idiot.  He says a lot of dumb things and often comes across like a glorified fan, which he fully admits he is.  It's not very professional for someone with his job.  Schopp could hang him out to dry in a debate but he chooses to refrain from that for obvious reasons.

I don't think you can blame them for choosing to operate in this manner.

BTW:  WGR-550 is no worse than a lot of local sports talk radio in this country.  Much of it is crap.

Disagree with you on Sal.  He’s probably the most enjoyable personality to listen to.  Actually I like them all except Schoop and Bulldog (woof)

11 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Not saying you can’t have an opinion but I’m telling you the morning show was like a funeral this morning and Mike was full of snark and vinegar in the afternoon. But as soon as a guest came out they all flipped a switch as if they were happy with the picks. It was just odd hearing the transitions. 

And there is a way to have a healthy debate rather than it being combative. 

Edited by racketmaster
  • Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

It was horrible, i went back to wfan, won't go back to the morning show, ever.

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

The Coach was amazing... you take that back!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1. Their issue isn’t with Allen per se, but with the people who traded up to pick him. So when Allen was interviewed, they weren’t going to take it up with him. Like it wasn’t CJ Spiller’s fault when he was drafted when they didn’t need a RB. I’m glad that they did question him on his racial comments that were revealed. Schopp is sensitive to the issue given his adopted black children. If Beane was on, they’d question why not Rosen, or Watson or Mahones last year instead; more NFL ready QBs. Or how the big hands in bad weather argument doesn’t pan out if you look at the actual weather most Bills games have had.

2. Sal is always reluctant to criticize the Bills since he’s the sideline reporter and has to interact with the team. The hosts respectfully disagree with some of his views when he’s on, but they realize he’s never going to outright say the Bills are wrong, so why push it. And Sal does acknowledge that he understands that many fans disagree with the pick.

3. They get some wacky callers who think the Bills can do no wrong, when history shows otherwise. The argument that the scouts know more than the hosts so they should shut up, while the record shows the Bills have had some terrible draft results.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Mike will debate anyone who calls him....why won't he debate Sal when he has the chance?  Ditto for Jeremy.  Cowards

Because they’re professional co-workers who work together. Why’s that hard to understand? 

Mike is a bit bitchy sometimes but these guys do a good show. 

Schopp is a complete idiot and I'm not surprised he would blow the twitter thing out of proportion. He's truly an embarrasment , a promulgator of "white guilt" and not suited for the airwaves. I'd have no problem telling him what I think of him directly to his face , he's a piece of excrement. 

• Like (+1) 3

I lost faith and interest in WGR when the Bills made the playoffs for the first time this century.  One of them, think it was Bulldog, then actually went on a rant because this season cost us draft positioning.  I...was in shock after that and have felt no compulsion to tune back in since then.

Edited by The Red King
  • Like (+1) 2