WGR Hosts Scared Of On-Air Confrontation

Like most of you I have been listening to nearly all of WGR's coverage on the Bills draft.  It's been interesting hearing how strongly different personalities have expressed their views, but they seem to very timid to confront each other on-air.  In fact, I can't really remember a time when there was an argument on-air at WGR like I can with other sports talk show.  

Case and point - all morning Jeremy White was whinging that the Bills overspent to trade up for Allen citing the "draft charts" as evidence.  Later that morning, they bring Sal Capaccio on and Howard asked him point blank "did the Bills overspend," to which Sal emphatically responds "oh no" and then proceeds to respond why.  Not one challenge from Howard or Jeremy.  Then of course, after Sal hangs up, in a very condecending way Jeremy uses to Jimmy Johnson value chart explicitly say how the Bills overspent.  Why didn't he just disagree with Sal?

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-27-howard-and-jeremy-show-hr-2

On an unrelated note -  if you listen to hour 1, it's essentially Howard and Jeremy complaining about Josh Allen.  When a fan on Twitter told Howard to "say it to his face," he went on a 5 minute rant trying to walk back his comments.  Surprisingly, when Allen does an interview with Howard and Jeremy they act very nice and lob some softball questions.

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-27-newest-bills-qb-josh-allen-howard-and-jeremy

Later that afternoon, it's Schopp and the Bulldog.  Mike Schopp also rants about how he hated the Allen pick, why the Bills make dumb decisions, and again how they paid too much to trade up.  Bulldog (who seems scared to disagree with Schopp on anything) argues that the Bills "spent like a drunken sailer."  Mike then rants about the comments on Twitter and how that situations makes him not want to pull for Allen.

Wouldn't you know it...Sal comes on the air.  Again he talks about how he didn't think so.  Then the whole Twitter story comes out.  Sal does an excellent job explaining the situation and passionately shares why the tweets he made at 16 are not indicative of who he currently . Again, no response from Mike who previously said he didn't want to route for Allen because of the tweets.  

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/4-27-schopp-and-bulldog-hour-2

My thing is - if you are an on-air personality and you disagree with someone don't sit there and say "OK"

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

My thing is - if you are an on-air personality and you disagree with someone don't sit there and say "OK"

Their thing is - they don't really believe what they say, they just spout baseless opinions that rile up fans and fill time.  :D

Edited by Heitz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It was so depressing to listen to Howard and Jeremy in the morning. You would have thought someone close to them died. They are so convinced that they are right (Rosen is very good and Allen sucks because he has a low completion%) that they could not accept how an NFL team could see it differently. 

7 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Their thing is - they don't really believe what they say, they just spout baseless opinions that rile up fans and fill time.  :D

Right - but what would rile up fans more than an on-air debate.  Seems like it would be great radio.  When the outspoken hosts like Jeremy or Mike have a chance to defend their opinion to a colleague on air, they back down

1 minute ago, racketmaster said:

It was so depressing to listen to Howard and Jeremy in the morning. You would have thought someone close to them died. They are so convinced that they are right (Rosen is very good and Allen sucks because he has a low completion%) that they could not accept how an NFL team could see it differently. 

Howard sounded depressed

Just now, aristocrat said:

What are they gonna do?

When you argue that the Bills overspent in the draft and then your guest argues that they didn't - say something!  Mike has no problem arguing his point with callers - but he won't dare stand up to Sal.

3 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Let's keep this all in perspective.  Yes, the WGR guys have lots of obvious deficiencies. 

But remember when they actually had driveling idiots like Chuck Dickerson hosting shows??

When Jim Rome did a tour stop here many years ago,a young fella was jacking with him in the secured Coca Cola stadium VIP parking lot...good 'ole Chuck was ready to dance and toss a few. I'm not a small guy ..but when I stood next to him..I felt short. Big dude with a no pull punch attitude...I liked him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Like most of you I have been listening to nearly all of WGR's coverage on the Bills draft.  It's been interesting hearing how strongly different personalities have expressed their views, but they seem to very timid to confront each other on-air.  In fact, I can't really remember a time when there was an argument on-air at WGR like I can with other sports talk show.  

Case and point - all morning Jeremy White was whinging that the Bills overspent to trade up for Allen citing the "draft charts" as evidence.  Later that morning, they bring Sal Capaccio on and Howard asked him point blank "did the Bills overspend," to which Sal emphatically responds "oh no" and then proceeds to respond why.  Not one challenge from Howard or Jeremy.  Then of course, after Sal hangs up, in a very condecending way Jeremy uses to Jimmy Johnson value chart explicitly say how the Bills overspent.  Why didn't he just disagree with Sal?

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-27-howard-and-jeremy-show-hr-2

On an unrelated note -  if you listen to hour 1, it's essentially Howard and Jeremy complaining about Josh Allen.  When a fan on Twitter told Howard to "say it to his face," he went on a 5 minute rant trying to walk back his comments.  Surprisingly, when Allen does an interview with Howard and Jeremy they act very nice and lob some softball questions.

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-27-newest-bills-qb-josh-allen-howard-and-jeremy

Later that afternoon, it's Schopp and the Bulldog.  Mike Schopp also rants about how he hated the Allen pick, why the Bills make dumb decisions, and again how they paid too much to trade up.  Bulldog (who seems scared to disagree with Schopp on anything) argues that the Bills "spent like a drunken sailer."  Mike then rants about the comments on Twitter and how that situations makes him not want to pull for Allen.

Wouldn't you know it...Sal comes on the air.  Again he talks about how he didn't think so.  Then the whole Twitter story comes out.  Sal does an excellent job explaining the situation and passionately shares why the tweets he made at 16 are not indicative of who he currently . Again, no response from Mike who previously said he didn't want to route for Allen because of the tweets.  

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/4-27-schopp-and-bulldog-hour-2

Theyre professional. I think they’re good at what they do. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

Howard and Jeremy usually are good.  I have a hard time listening to Schopp and Bulldog but will for the interviews

I don’t hate Jeremy and Howard.  I don’t like them though.  Would prefer to listen to music or have the tv on in the background

6 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

When Jim Rome did a tour stop here many years ago,a young fella was jacking with him in the secured Coca Cola stadium VIP parking lot...good 'ole Chuck was ready to dance and toss a few. I'm not a small guy ..but when I stood next to him..I felt short. Big dude with a no pull punch attitude...I liked him.

...So what you are saying is that Chuck is the polar opposite of Mike Schopp?

• Like (+1) 2