RD 1, Pick 16: Tremaine Edmunds OLB - Virginia Tech

SDS

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I don't know my X's and O's but he won't be playing MLB right? Still a huge hole there?

He will be playing MLB, with the flexibility to slide to Sam or Will depending on formations. He's also probably going to cover Gronk, so I doubt there will be any cheap shots this year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, WMDman said:

he will be playing MLB

YESSS. that's all I wanted from the draft, high picks at MLB and QB

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

He will be playing MLB, with the flexibility to slide to Sam or Will depending on formations. He's also probably going to cover Gronk, so I doubt there will be any cheap shots this year.

he looks great in pass coverage from what I can tell.

"If Edmunds DOES reach that lofty ceiling, and he DOES realize his full potential, it's gonna set a new bar for the linebacker position that we have never, EVER seen before."

The above quote is from this video. This guy is, um, quite bullish on Edmunds to say the least.

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

"If Edmunds DOES reach that lofty ceiling, and he DOES realize his full potential, it's gonna set a new bar for the linebacker position that we have never, EVER seen before."

The above quote is from this video. This guy is, um, quite bullish on Edmunds to say the least.

Who's been our best LB since the drought? (The start of my fandom) Bradham? Fletcher?

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
4 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Who's been our best LB since the drought? (The start of my fandom) Bradham? Fletcher?

Cowart or Spikes and it's not close.  Cowart was close to Ray Lewis on the field before his injury.

9 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Cowart or Spikes and it's not close.  Cowart was close to Ray Lewis on the field before his injury.

must have been too young for Cowart. I knew I was forgetting someone, Takeo was a beast, I forgot about him, being a FA and all.

EDIT: oof and we traded him for pennies, injuries I guess

I do think Bradham is criminally underrated, even now. He gets overshadowed by the the sheer talent the Eagles have, but he makes that Eagles front 7 tick.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

From what I'm seing so far, Edmunds has a lot of work to do, but much like his companion pick at QB, has an enormous ceiling.

I'm getting the impression with these two picks, that Beane and McDermott have gone hard for their two 'Generals', the obvious one on Offense at QB, but Edmunds on D also.

Could be some growing pains, but if they both pan out, we will be contending for a long time, assuming they fill out other parts of the roster correctly.

Is it possible he isn't done growing? Another inch or two and he'd be almost 6'7. I have never seen an ILB that tall. Not sure if that'd effect the way he'd be able to shed blocks or anything like that. He'd be like Groot on passing downs though, in the middle of that cover 2.

This dude is the linebacker version of Clowney.  If he stayed in school for 2018 he'd be on track as a top-3 pick in 2019.  McD has a track record of being able to mold linebackers.  This pick was a calculated risk with an enormous upside.  Now it's up to Edmunds to put in the work (and not get hurt).  If he does that, we're potentially looking at the next Cornelius Bennett.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

must have been too young for Cowart. I knew I was forgetting someone, Takeo was a beast, I forgot about him, being a FA and all.

EDIT: oof and we traded him for pennies, injuries I guess

I do think Bradham is criminally underrated, even now. He gets overshadowed by the the sheer talent the Eagles have, but he makes that Eagles front 7 tick.

The very game Cowart was injured, against Tampa, he was having the most dominant performance I've ever seen from a LB, Lawrence Taylor included.

There was speculation that Tampa purposely injured him, to take him out of the game.  He was that dominant.

10 hours ago, Rise Up Lights said:

Is it possible he isn't done growing? Another inch or two and he'd be almost 6'7. I have never seen an ILB that tall. Not sure if that'd effect the way he'd be able to shed blocks or anything like that. He'd be like Groot on passing downs though, in the middle of that cover 2.

Ted Hendricks Baltimore Colts was a 6’7” beast. I think he’s in the HOF

4 hours ago, DC Tom said:

The very game Cowart was injured, against Tampa, he was having the most dominant performance I've ever seen from a LB, Lawrence Taylor included.

There was speculation that Tampa purposely injured him, to take him out of the game.  He was that dominant.

I was at that game in Tampa.  At the time didn't realize the significance of the injury when he went down

37 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I was at that game in Tampa.  At the time didn't realize the significance of the injury when he went down

Didn't he just hurt his ankle in that game?   It couldn't have been that bad, I recall him playing in the Pro Bowl several weeks later (Nevermind, I am wrong, he didnt 'play, must've been a dream :)).    His Achilles injury the following year in the opener pretty much ruined his career.  

Edited by SMAKCruiser

3 minutes ago, SMAKCruiser said:

Didn't he just hurt his ankle in that game?   It couldn't have been that bad, I recall him playing in the Pro Bowl several weeks later (Nevermind, I am wrong, he didnt 'play, must've been a dream :)).    His Achilles injury the following year in the opener pretty much ruined his career.  

Putting on a green jersey ruined his career(at least for me)

8 minutes ago, SMAKCruiser said:

I was referring to essentially the end of his career with the Bills as a productive player (ended his season, then Achilles the first game next season).   He was really dominating before that injury.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SMAKCruiser said:

It was a blatant cheap shot by the notoriously dirty Frank Middleton.  Burn in hell, scumbag.

The only thing that concerns me with this pick is his age. A Okoyeye bottomed out quickly with Houston, but was a DL and got beat on more.

Edmunds has everything else. I hope they pair Phillips with Kyle Williams, and Edmunds with Alexander as mentors.

Edmunds can be a guy who changes how MLB is played in the league if he reaches his potential. Can't wait to see him and Tre White irritate the heck out of Gronk.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 2

Watched a bunch of his games on that draftbreakdown thing and it will be a disaster if they put this kid at MLB.  He is not a MLB in the NFL.  His instincts are so bad and most of the games is left standing looking confused.  He needs to be on the outside with more freedom.

Getting Bowman here is critical.  We can't put this kid at MLB, it will ruin his career.

3 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Watched a bunch of his games on that draftbreakdown thing and it will be a disaster if they put this kid at MLB.  He is not a MLB in the NFL.  His instincts are so bad and most of the games is left standing looking confused.  He needs to be on the outside with more freedom.

Getting Bowman here is critical.  We can't put this kid at MLB, it will ruin his career.

They would not have moved up to take him if Bills had concerns about Coaching him up.

MLB calls the D for McDermott. So i might expect they think he is smart, quick and enough player to start.

Sure they could move him. But teaching him to become able to decipher the Offense and call the D ? Gotta mean somethin'

should kept Ragland :P

When Karlos Dansby was here for a visit, I was very much against him coming here. Now I've changed my mind. Edmunds is a younger, better Dansby. I think he would be a great guy to come in and be a part time player. You could have Edmunds play Sam in base sets and have Dansby on the field in the middle. In the nickel, Dansby could get off the field and your two backers are Milano and Edmunds. You could still have Edmunds call the defense, but having a vet like Dansby around makes a lot of sense imo.