Can't stand the term "War Room"

Irv

With the draft coming up, I hear the term "war room" a lot and think of heroes who have fought, been killed, or maimed in an actual war.  Overly politically correct?  Probably. But I wouldn't mind never hearing that again.     

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 3

Just now, Irv said:

With the draft coming up, I hear the term "war room" a lot and think of heroes who have fought, been killed, or maimed in an actual war.  Overly politically correct?  Probably. But I wouldn't mind never hearing that again.     

There's a lot of military expressions in football. "Aerial attack" comes to mind. So does that old Carlin routine. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Irv said:

Are you a war veteran? Or are you just guessing at what war veterans may be offended by?

• Like (+1) 1

As a long time player/couch I have been around the game my whole life and heard every term

there are lots of war terms in football and most I don’t mind but 1 I have stopped using over the years is referring to a hard fought game as going through a war

I do feel that we should respect our armed forces and not compare our game to an actual war

• Like (+1) 1

NFL Football is a subconscious advertisement for war. That's why the military loves to advertise themselves before games under the guise of "patriotism". It's making a subconscious connection between what you see on the field and the US military. Insidious stuff. 

As more and more people start to be against war in general, the more football's ratings will drop. There is no fixing this sport. It is not, and has never been a beautiful game like basketball, hockey, soccer, or baseball. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

As a long time player/couch I have been around the game my whole life and heard every term

there are lots of war terms in football and most I don’t mind but 1 I have stopped using over the years is referring to a hard fought game as going through a war

I do feel that we should respect our armed forces and not compare our game to an actual war

I was in the military and I actually like those terms

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Wasn't it the younger Kellen Winslow in Miami who got in trouble for saying he's a soldier (metaphorically)?

We'd call it a battle in a hard fought game. I don't think that's a term exclusively for war. Maybe etymology wise from ancient times. But the meaning has become more ambiguous and not strictly related to war. Even in white collar terms "we have a court room battle coming up", "this bid is going to be quite a battle"

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Irv said:

Seriously...you have way too much time on your hands.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dalton said:

This is a common term in business - seems like manufactured anger.

Hey now, my forefathers worked in manufacturing! TRIGGERED.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

If Edwin Starr was a member on this board, he might agree with you.

Agent Double O Soul???

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I was in the military and I actually like those terms

? I generally wouldn’t want to offend the person it might but I’m glad you do

2 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Wasn't it the younger Kellen Winslow in Miami who got in trouble for saying he's a soldier (metaphorically)?

Yes, he also comapared football to fighting a war 

kid had tons of talent, not much upstairs 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Irv said:

As a veteran I am good with the term, so don't worry about it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1