WOW is our OL ever in shambles

Bakin

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m usually not compliany pants, and Glenn is replaced already, but Wood and Ritchie’s departure do suck, most of all for them as I’m pretty sure they were not only good enough but still very much invested in continuing their career 

Wood has a replacement too. Groy. But it does suck that we have really bad guards now.

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

A QB is useless now :huh:

We have to stay the course and continue our strategy to get a top qb prospect.  We won't have another qb rich draft like this for years. Groy can fill in. Do NOT panic, we have tons of cap space next year to build the oline. 

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

bodine started every game in his 4 years from being drafted by cincy. wood was a 9 yr. vet.....equal

newhouse.....much better than mills

miller...we all saw his potential, but due to personal tragedies and stupid line play changes, he got put away....bring him back.

groy can play all 3 inside spots and be the vet presence on either side of center.

we have connor mcdermott who is not a pipsqueek and we can draft a couple of line guys. we may be better off with having to retool or shuffle this line. i think this was a blessing in disguise going into the future.

Bodine and Newhouse were bottom of the barrel fa's, hardly any linemen ranked lower. If either of those guys are starting it is not good.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bakin said:

Lost 3 starters in 2 months. 

Devastating. 

How exactly is our new Franchise QB going to stay alive, especially after we give away all our picks as some are primed to do?

I think Bodine is an upgrade to Eric Woods, Woods is a great person and locker room leader for us but he was very overrated by the fans. Incognito will be a big blow but he's a G, Groy will take one of the G spots I'm sure. RT is probably another season of Mills (Yuck). Dawkins LT Rookie LG Bodine C Groy RG Mills RT, probably just let McCarron or Peterman get killed behind the OL for a season unless we draft Lamar Jackson, he did quite well with a ****ty OL in front of him.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I think Bodine is an upgrade to Eric Woods, Woods is a great person and locker room leader for us but he was very overrated by the fans.

Wood was overrated but Bodine is not an upgrade. He was the weak link in Cinci.

• Like (+1) 1

Meh. The current projected line is not great but both Wood and Incognito were in sharp decline and while it would have been nice to hang onto Glenn, he is a constant question mark nowadays due to injury history. Address the holes with one or two picks in the draft and I think the OL will be fine.

Standing pat in multiple draft sims I got Mayfield at 12. MLB Van Der Esch at 22.

Jones was my pick at first second. Ragnow as pick at the end of third or fourth.

After those drafts: Jones (R) or Dawkins /Groy or Bodine or Ragnow (R)/ Bodine or Groy or Ragnow (R)/ Miller or Ducasse/ Dawkins or Newhouse or Mills

If not:

Dawkins/ Groy/ Bodine/ Miller or Ducasse/ Newhouse

backups:

T: Dawkins/ Newhouse/ Mills

G: Groy/ Bodine/ Miller/ Ducasse

C: Bodine/ Groy

Bodine has been a starter for four years and has taken snaps with AJ McCarron.

Miller can hopefully get out of the dog house. Newhouse is a failure if he is not better than Mills or Henderson.

Hence in my drafts I spend two picks on OL.....

No sense giving AJ a 'chance' or any rookie QB for that matter, with this O-line.

Edited by RocCityRoller

Castillo has to get rid of his complex outside zone blocking and use the system that worked well here with Kromer.

Miller was progressing at RG in Kromer's scheme. The way the OL looked against the Chargers was a disaster. 

Time to get younger was just sped up . Need the right coaching to fit the players strengths. 

12 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

When was this ?  In 2016 vs that terrible 49ers team ? 

Weak

11 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I don't think they were all that good last year either,  but I am not sure Tyrod made them look better. He held the ball longer than any QB in the league and took a ton of sacks because of it. 

He took as many sacks as Stafford.  Rodgers took 22 sacks in 7 games.

Those guys must hold on to the ball too long.

15 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

bodine started every game in his 4 years from being drafted by cincy. wood was a 9 yr. vet.....equal

newhouse.....much better than mills

miller...we all saw his potential, but due to personal tragedies and stupid line play changes, he got put away....bring him back.

groy can play all 3 inside spots and be the vet presence on either side of center.

we have connor mcdermott who is not a pipsqueek and we can draft a couple of line guys. we may be better off with having to retool or shuffle this line. i think this was a blessing in disguise going into the future.

Bodine is horrible. But guess you'll see in the fall if we don't upgrade.  God help the QB if he starts

13 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Bodine and Newhouse were bottom of the barrel fa's, hardly any linemen ranked lower. If either of those guys are starting it is not good.

TRUTH

11 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Wood was overrated but Bodine is not an upgrade. He was the weak link in Cinci.

More TRUTH

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY
  • Like (+1) 1

He is a bit erratic.  He reworks his contract to stay here and play with they guys he knows.  Gee, he sees his center and his OT go.  A lot of other older players (even Darby for a 3rd) get shipped off for any draft pick (Darby was pretty good. Cost a 1st, and was sent out for a 3rd !!).  Gee, I've been a fool. They just wanted to lower my cost and I'm off to a new city at my age. Screw it!!!   I think that is what happened.

2 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

He is a bit erratic.  He reworks his contract to stay here and play with they guys he knows.  Gee, he sees his center and his OT go.  A lot of other older players (even Darby for a 3rd) get shipped off for any draft pick (Darby was pretty good. Cost a 1st, and was sent out for a 3rd !!).  Gee, I've been a fool. They just wanted to lower my cost and I'm off to a new city at my age. Screw it!!!   I think that is what happened.

or he realized that medically he really couldn't/shouldn't be playing anymore, was frustrated, had a series of angry tweets about it, and retired like he had no choice.

1 minute ago, teef said:

or he realized that medically he really couldn't/shouldn't be playing anymore, was frustrated, had a series of angry tweets about it, and retired like he had no choice.

...I don't think so.  He gets physicals all the time and probably at the end of the year.  He is a bit of a head case. If the Bills wanted to have him, the handled him wrong and now get nothing.

Just now, maryland-bills-fan said:

...I don't think so.  He gets physicals all the time and probably at the end of the year.  He is a bit of a head case. If the Bills wanted to have him, the handled him wrong and now get nothing.

so...did he state medical issues just because he was being zany?  he is a bit of a head case, which is why i think his tweets were bizarre.  i've mentioned this before, but i have a brother in law that was a pro athlete.  he ended a season thinking he was going into next year, and about 2/3 of the way into the off season, he and his physicians, (along with the team) decided it was best that he not play anymore for his long term health. these things happen.  i think you're trying to hard here.

Another thing that most fans don't get is that the line has to play as one unit and everyone must know everyones elses responsabilitys. Its called continuity and sometimes can take a while to properly develop. On certain plays you can't have free roamers breaking through the line all the time and they must be picked up.

In this sense I don't blame Incognito for retiring after they reduced his pay because with some scrub at center his job at LG becomes that much harder. If you have quality players all across the line it becomes so much easier for each player to do his particular job. When you throw scrubs into the mix it becomes a nightmare.

The line might not have gotten the greatest grades for last season but that is because of Mills at RT. The left side was pretty solid and now that is gone. Without Incognito at LG I kinda doubt Dawkins looks anywhere near as good as he did last season. 

The OP got it right when he said "shambles" and nobody on the current roster comes even close to an all pro level. Bills QB's will be running for their lives just like 2010 all over again. Unless that line is upgraded big time I can see another 0-8 start of the 2018 season.

2 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

far as i can see he had 2 holds and one sack for 16 games last year.....i believe that to be ok, at least for me.

If watch them play and maybe it's just my background but it appears they were limited in certain areas with him at Center The guards do a lot of covering for him. According to FWIW  Bodine graded out as the 28th best center and also  according to PFF  was the NINTH best center in free agency. For a guy that is only 26, that's an indictment on his ability. If you want durability.... great. If you want ability.... IMO he is lacking tremendously.  Just coaching 9 of 17 years @ OL at the JC level does not make me an expert by any means. I just look at it differently and respect your opinion even if I disagree. I just want WR's, QB, OL and LB's that are good enough to compete this year.   Go Bills !!!!!!

6 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Darby was a first?

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Weak

He took as many sacks as Stafford.  Rodgers took 22 sacks in 7 games.

Those guys must hold on to the ball too long.

Tyrod's sack % was much higher than both of those guys. He was indecisive and held the ball too long, that does not help the o line. Like I said, the line wasn t very good but he did not make them look better, if anything he made their jobs more difficult.

9 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Tyrod's sack % was much higher than both of those guys. He was indecisive and held the ball too long, that does not help the o line. Like I said, the line wasn t very good but he did not make them look better, if anything he made their jobs more difficult.

Yes, the 1/3 of 1 second  (literally, the time to blink an eye) longer TT took to pass the ball than those two QBs really messed with the Bills O-line's stats..

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 4/10/2018 at 8:51 PM, Tcali said:

how about if the team agrees to pay for any future kidney or liver transplants?? could we squeeze another yr or two out of him?

Ralphs cheap

22 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Mills is an above average run blocker (although not a mauler by any definition.) But I can honestly say he might be one of the worst pass blockers in the NFL certainly as a starter. I think as a backup he isn't bad to have on the roster but going into the season with him as a starter is nearly criminal. Granted I have faith in the GM to address it because they did bring in Dawkins as the intended RT last season, it proves they aren't comfortable with Mills since Cordy's injury is the only reason Mills got starts last year. 

I agree with assessment on Mills.

But i do not have faith in Bills to address it. should have been done last year.

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes, the 1/3 of 1 second  (literally, the time to blink an eye) longer TT took to pass the ball than those two QBs really messed with the Bills O-line's stats..

It certainly didn't help make them 'look better' as you ascertained.

23 hours ago, Logic said:

Dawkins - rookie - Groy/rookie - Ducasse/Miller - Mills/McDermott

That's how I see it right now. I think they add rooks at LG and C and give Miller a chance to win the RG spot in camp. Here's hoping McDermott's a diamond on the rough. They liked him enough to stash him on the active roster the second half of last year without him ever playing a snap.

McDermott is the key to the line this year. If he pans out , we will have  the tackle position in hand. Groy at center and Ducasse and Miller at guard.

13 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

It certainly didn't help make them 'look better' as you ascertained.

The point is that that tiny fraction time had no impact on their stats.  TT's scrambling ability saved him form more sacks.

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The point is that that tiny fraction time had no impact on their stats.  TT's scrambling ability saved him form more sacks.

Tell directv you need a second box to watch Browns games.      

You can can still watch Tyrod stink it up for another half a season 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Teddy KGB said:

Tell directv you need a second box to watch Browns games.      

You can can still watch Tyrod stink it up for another half a season 

Direct TV??  Move out of your double wide, bud....

47 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Ralphs cheap

I agree with assessment on Mills.

But i do not have faith in Bills to address it. should have been done last year.

They did try to address it last year, they had Glenn at LT and drafted Dawkins to play RT. Mills was not intended to be the starter going into last season. So I don't get where this perception that the current administration lacks care for the O-line comes from. Going into last season they had a line of Glenn (A dam fine LT when healthy) - InCog (A good LG coming off of 2 probowls) - Wood (An above average starting center) - Miller (A young guard coming off of some pretty decent seasons) - Dawkins (A 2nd round pick they traded up to get)

Glenn got hurt and Miller regressed beyond reasonable expectation, that is what caused the O-line to regress. The construction of last years O-line to start the season was not bad at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I own a house so I have cable.

No can do.  

Didn't realize house ownership and cable were correlated. I own a house and have Directtv w Sunday ticket, am I doing it wrong? :lol: