Baker Mayfield

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Well the word "folks" on THIS board usually implies people from TBD.  Moreover,  I do not follow the Browns and have no friken idea what they say on their boards (or anyone else's forums for that matter). I guess thank you for the clarification.

14 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

holy crap I didn't think about this..... I too have a schmidtty jersey and have wanted Mayfield all along. how did this get by me? 

Buffalo is the only fanbase where punter Jerseys are a thing. I for one love it. 

14 minutes ago, elltrain22 said:

I see alot of validity to us liking Baker Mayfield for  several reasons. 

• He's a 4-year college performer, who won alot, and was a team captain. I think that these player traits are very big to McBeane,  and with all their talk  about process, mindset, and culture, Mayfield totally  fits this criteria. 
  • Mayfield is great in  the pocket, laser accurate (premium for our decision makers IMO), and can make plays with his feet if need be.
  • He can be had probably as early as 4, but might slide  to 7 or 8. This way, we will not have to give up nearly as much as we would to move up to #2. If he slide to #6, and we traded with Indy, we'd probably still have both 2nd's and both 3rd's.
  • McBeane  are methodical and smart. They know what the fans want, and I think they care what the fans want, to a certain extent. Not that they will pick Mayfield just to make us happy, but I think its also appealing to them to draft Mayfield b/c it be a great perceived move on  their part. 

These are each good points.

But Baker Mayfield is going #1, overall. He will haunt the Bills for years - because the Bills will select Josh Rosen.

5 minutes ago, elltrain22 said:

BTW, here are 2 scenario's I could see very much playing out....

Scenario #1 (aggressive & we "get" our  guy)

1. Cleveland- Darnold

2. NYG- Chubb/Barkley

3. Jets- Rosen/Allen

4. Cleveland (Trade w/ Bills)- We give up 12, 22, & 53 (2350 value, which is 550 more value points @4 spot). We are taking no chances with Denver. We want either Rosen/Mayfield/Allen (in that order).

Scenario #2 (more patient & give up less, and take a chance of Denver passing on  a QB)

1. Cleveland- Darnold

2. NYG- Chubb/Barkley

3. Jets- Rosen/Allen

4. Cleveland- Chubb/Barkley

5. Denver- Nelson/Rosen/Allen. Some will say, where's Mayfield, but IMHO, I think if, big if, Denver takes a QB, I believe they covet Rosen/Allen much more than Mayfield.

6. Indy (trade w/ Bills)- We give up 12 & 22 (1980 value vs. 1700 value  @ pick 6). We take Mayfield here or possibly Allen or Rosen if they slip. Plus, we still have both 2nd's, and both 3rd's

what say you??

You detail, pretty well honestly, all of Baker Mayfield's abilities.

Then you think that two teams can't see the same things as you do.

I see Mayfield as the #1 QB in the draft and I think most rational eyes would see the same. None of the arguments against him hold water. The only way the Bills get him is if the Browns f up and take Darnold and the Giants are willing to go all the way down to 12.

He's gone by the time the 4th pick is called.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Buffalo is the only fanbase where punter Jerseys are a thing. I for one love it. 

I was visually distraught for quite some time last offseason when it was rumored schmidt was in a battle with somebody in the offseason. I had just bought the damn thing in 2016..... I guess i'm off the Mayfield train that I've been on since the dude was a friggin sophomore.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

4 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

These are each good points.

But Baker Mayfield is going #1, overall. He will haunt the Bills for years - because the Bills will select Josh Rosen.

You detail, pretty well honestly, all of Baker Mayfield's abilities.

Then you think that two teams can't see the same things as you do.

I see Mayfield as the #1 QB in the draft and I think most rational eyes would see the same. None of the arguments against him hold water. The only way the Bills get him is if the Browns f up and take Darnold and the Giants are willing to go all the way down to 12.

He's gone by the time the 4th pick is called.

You might be right, but I think Cleveland will take Darnold. 

16 minutes ago, DFT said:

Few are more plugged in to Buffalo, than J-White.  He’s usually very closely tied.  He has some great, great sources.  I believe there’s smoke here.  I don’t think Baker is their top guy, but I do believe he’s an incredible #2 or fallback option.  

Baker has been my #1 all along. His attitude problems aren't like Rosen's. His problem is he cares too much about winning and his emotions get the best of him. I'll take that any day over someone that might not even like playing. I think he fits our team and city better than anyone. I bet he would get along very well with McDermott. And we can get him without paying a huge ransom. What am I missing? His height? That's the only real knock I see on him.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, HappyDays said:

Baker has been my #1 all along. His attitude problems aren't like Rosen's. His problem is he cares too much about winning and his emotions get the best of him. I'll take that any day over someone that might not even like playing. I think he fits our team and city better than anyone. I bet he would get along very well with McDermott. And we can get him without paying a huge ransom. What am I missing? His height? That's the only real knock I see on him.

Mayfield's crotch grab is just the college version of Brady yelling at people on the sideline. 

So let me get this straight, Baker Mayfield fans.

Manziel compariaons are "lazy", yet all of you will be quick to compare him to Russell Wilson or Drew Brees based strictly on his height.

I'm enjoying the backflips you all are performing to excuse his behavioral flaws...and height.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, elltrain22 said:

You might be right, but I think Cleveland will take Darnold. 

Maybe; but it will be a mistake they can afford to make. They'll get Barkley three picks later and taking the "safe" QB first overall would be the percentage play. No matter what, with everything else they've accumulated and will accumulate in this draft, they will become the Seattle Seahawks for the next five years.

Darnold won't help them remendously, but he won't hurt them either. 

But the Jets? Get ready to face Baker Mayfield twice a year for the next 10 years. That man's swagger was meant for bright lights.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Tyrod's friend said:

Maybe; but it will be a mistake they can afford to make. They'll get Barkley three picks later and taking the "safe" QB first overall would be the percentage play. No matter what, with everything else they've accumulated and will accumulate in this draft, they will become the Seattle Seahawks for the next five years.

Darnold won't help them remendously, but he won't hurt them either. 

But the Jets? Get ready to face Baker Mayfield twice a year for the next 10 years. That man's swagger was meant for bright lights.

I just wish time would fly, and April 26th was like now!!

This would be perfect. The only QB I’d want to take other than Darnold that high.

Who knows how true it is, but I just don’t see teams taking someone like Mayfield in the top 5.

The Bills get Mayfield and I’m holding a punch and pie party.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

So let me get this straight, Baker Mayfield fans.

Mamziel compariaons are "lazy", but all of you will be quick to compare him to Russell Wilson or Drew Brees based strictly on his height.

I'm enjoying the backflips you all are performing to excuse his behavioral flaws...and height.

I am not comparing him to anyone.  I DO mention portions of his fiery behavior.  I do not think I am enough of an "Internet expert/GM" to truly have a comparison opinion of him. I do think clumping all supporters into tiny packages is lazy.  Soooo...  I deem your post a lazy response and quite narrow in focus.

3 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

This would be perfect. The only QB I’d want to take other than Darnold that high.

Who knows how true it is, but I just don’t see teams taking someone like Mayfield in the top 5.

The Bills get Mayfield and I’m holding a punch and pie party.

well the 26th is my birthday..... i'm gonna have to email them and ask if its possible, when they select him, if he could jump out of a cake..... birthday suit optional.

4 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

I am not comparing him to anyone.  I DO mention portions of his fiery behavior.  I do not think I am enough of an "Internet expert/GM" to truly have a comparison opinion of him. I do think clumping all supporters into tiny packages is lazy.  Soooo...  I deem your post a lazy response and quite narrow in focus.

Riiiiight...

So that makes 4 for 4. 1st it was Darnold, then Rosen, then Allen, and now Mayfield. 

Crazy thing is they are all so different. Darnold the mobile raw pocket QB. Allen the physical freak that struggles mentally. Rosen the pure pocket passer. Mayfield the accurate small QB with special intangibles. 

1 minute ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

If drafting a pocket passer is the goal why draft a 6'00 tall QB? The Brees argument doesn't cut it for me as Brees is almost 6"1 and has the arm length of a man who is 6"5.  Brees is also a superior athlete to Mayfield with a much stronger work ethic.  Smoke screen?   

the bolded is literally not supported by anything..... I would argue Mayfield up to this point in his career has displayed way better athleticism than brees up to that point at purdue..... and Mayfield WALKED ON at 2 different schools. that takes seriously work ethic. you've shown how much you know about the guy. that's for sure. 

14 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Manziel compariaons are "lazy",

Yes

14 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

all of you will be quick to compare him to Russell Wilson or Drew Brees based strictly on his height.

No

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

If drafting a pocket passer is the goal why draft a 6'00 tall QB? The Brees argument doesn't cut it for me as Brees is almost 6"1 and has the arm length of a man who is 6"5.  Brees is also a superior athlete to Mayfield with a much stronger work ethic.  Smoke screen?   

Your scouting is terribly inaccurate of both QB's. Mayfield has a stronger arm than Brees. 

Also all QB's need to be able to find throwing lanes, it's not just a short thing. It's a skill. Aaron Rodgers at 6'2 needs to be able to find throwing lanes. He can't see over 6'5 lineman either. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Doesn't Rudolph have the smallest hands and weakest arm of the group?

I don't know necessarily about the weakest arm (but probably weaker than the top 4 guys), but Rudolph's hands did measure in at just 9". Gil Brandt talked about this on NFL Sirius radio a few days ago when asked why a QB as prolific in college as Rudolph  (who Brandt BELIEVES will be a starter at the NFL level) is not as highly sought after as the top 4 guys. He said the biggest issue was his hand-size and that only one QB in the last 15 years had been drafted early in the first round with such small hands. That QB was Jared Goff. Brandt also pointed out that Goff went to a warm weather team in LA, whereas the QB-needed teams picking at the top this year (including Buffalo, given they have the ammunition to move up) are all cold weather teams (Cleveland, Jersey, Denver, Buffalo) where having larger hands to handle the ball is a premium.

He went on to suggest that Rudolph otherwise checks off everything on the list, but the smallish hands and possibly lower ceiling than some of the higher-rated QBs could make him fall to the 2nd round.

Then after discussing all of this, he laughed and pointed out that Mayfield too had small hands -- just 1/4" bigger than Rudolph's. Meanwhile, Allen has huge hands (well over 10") .

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

His Analytics are generational.  It surprised me.  I still believe Rosen will be the elite prize for Buffalo, but based off of analytics (which the Bills subscribe heavily to), there’s no QB in this draft that’s on his level.  The analytics have vastly improved from the wonderlic tests.  They’re pretty insightful.

http://amp.si.com/nfl/2018/03/22/baker-mayfield-advance-analytics-nfl-draft-oklahoma-pff

Edited by DFT
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Well the word "folks" on THIS board usually implies people from TBD.  Moreover,  I do not follow the Browns and have no friken idea what they say on their boards (or anyone else's forums for that matter). I guess thank you for the clarification.

No these articles were paste here by the McCoy is  brees crowd. It happened 

5 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

So that makes 4 for 4. 1st it was Darnold, then Rosen, then Allen, and now Mayfield. 

Crazy thing is they are all so different. Darnold the mobile raw pocket QB. Allen the physical freak that struggles mentally. Rosen the pure pocket passer. Mayfield the accurate small QB with special intangibles. 

Except, consider the sources.  All previous ties were reported by those without knowledge or affiliation to Beane and co.  That’s not Jeremy White.  I trust this more than anything else spewed Firth.  This aligns to what Schefter shared when he was in town, that only those tied to this organization, could hope to know what’s really going on.  1 Bills is locked down.  Just an opinion though.

Just now, DFT said:

Except, consider the sources.  All previous ties were reported by those without knowledge or affiliation to Beane and co.  That’s not Jeremy White.  I trust this more than anything else spewed Firth.  This aligns to what Schefter shared when he was in town, that only those tied to this organization, could hope to know what’s really going on.  1 Bills is locked down.  Just an opinion though.

Or they could finally realize they can't get the other QBs so they're now looking to Mayfield. Might be the best thing to ever happen to them if they can get him at 6-10.

5 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Your scouting is terribly inaccurate of both QB's. Mayfield has a stronger arm than Brees. 

Also all QB's need to be able to find throwing lanes, it's not just a short thing. It's a skill. Aaron Rodgers at 6'2 needs to be able to find throwing lanes. He can't see over 6'5 lineman either. 

You have your opinion and I have mine.  If they draft Mayfield I hope I'm wrong.

10 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Aaron Rodgers is the most naturally talented QB in NFL history.

Baker Mayfield is not Aaron Rodgers.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
6 minutes ago, PIP said:

If they were going to draft him they would have kept Tyrod for him to learn behind. IMO there is no way we draft him.

He is more pro ready than any of the other prospects except maybe Rosen.

9 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

the bolded is literally not supported by anything..... I would argue Mayfield up to this point in his career has displayed way better athleticism than brees up to that point at purdue..... and Mayfield WALKED ON at 2 different schools. that takes seriously work ethic. you've shown how much you know about the guy. that's for sure. 

You are correct, I didn't support it.  Brees is well known for his athleticism.  For example, he could have been a professional tennis player.  As for Mayfield's work ethic, his lack of conditioning and strength tell the tale.

7 minutes ago, DFT said:

His Analytics are generational.  It surprised me.  I still believe Rosen will be the elite prize for Buffalo, but based off of analytics (which the Bills subscribe heavily to), there’s no QB in this draft that’s on his level.  The analytics have vastly improved from the wonderlic tests.  They’re pretty insightful.

http://amp.si.com/nfl/2018/03/22/baker-mayfield-advance-analytics-nfl-draft-oklahoma-pff

This part is pretty interesting:

Why are you hearing about the AIQ now? One of the two teams that subscribes fully to the testing service already has its franchise quarterback.

The other team is not a perennial winner, picks in the top half of the first round this year and is one of the handful of teams most interested in drafting Baker Mayfield

I know I shouldn't jump to conclusions but the Bills have invested a lot into analytics and the bolded part could easily be talking about them...

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PIP said:

If they were going to draft him they would have kept Tyrod for him to learn behind. IMO there is no way we draft him.

Mayfield and Rosen are the two QBs that will probably start right away. They don't need a bridge QB. Which is why I've thought since we traded Tyrod that they're our targets. McDermott loves players that have a lot of college starting experience and can get on the field right away.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

You are correct, I didn't support it.  Brees is well known for his athleticism.  For example, he could have been a professional tennis player.  As for Mayfield's work ethic, his lack of conditioning and strength tell the tale.

and you have something to back up that claim?.... as qb's go Mayfield is fairly impressive physically. he's built like a running back from the waist down.

again watch brees at purdue and then Mayfield and tell me who looks like the better athlete on the field. you are just tossing crap out onto the wall and hoping it sticks with no real evidence to back it up.

Edited by Stank_Nasty