Bills may trade down?

Before you read this, YES I do want a QB. I do not believe we will trade up unless it is between picks 5-9. I actually would take Allen (BUST ALERT) over Mayfield, because of the height and arm strength issues, BUT I would take Mayfield at pick #12.

The possibilities are endless. The Giants are a HUGE wildcard. I would be happy if they drafted Rosen and screwed the Jets, but Chubb is probably the target or some type of trade down?

This post may piss everyone off and go against everyones mindset. However, if the Bills do not value or believe that Allen (project w/ amazing arm, inaccurate and quiet leader) or Mayfield (short w/attitude, average arm, but does win) are their guy. This also means that the Bills are not interested in giving up 3x first round picks (2x 2018 and 1x 2019, maybe a 3rd too) to move ahead of the Jets. The Only way the Bills would trade to #2 is if Darnold was there and he won't be. I do not believe that they think Rosen is worth the draft capitol, however if they did, then Buffalo would need to trade up to 4-6, then up again to #2. 

My guess is 2 teams will compete with us for a QB in the top 11 or everyone is blowing smoke and 1-2 may fall all the way to pick #11-#12. Miami is in bad shape and should trade down too (note: Miami may be looking at QB). SF needs a #2 pick. Picks 5-11 all have a QB.

Broncos and Colts want a Blue Chipper, so the price may be steep.

Getting to #12 was by trading CG to the Bengals, so by trading back with again like last year would most likely be with 27. New Orleans Saints or 28. Pittsburgh Steelers to net a #1 in 2019 and a 3rd rounder this year, which to me sounds pretty good to me if none of the top prospects are there we covet. In a draft like this Blue Chip prospects will be gone and we will be looking at the 2nd tier which the value is the same all through the early 20's. 

We are rebuilding for sure, so if you think Buffalo is jumping back into the playoffs with all of the holes on our team it is unlikely. Our Offense is pathetic at the moment and it will take 1-3 years to get it into the top 10. The Defense can be a top 12 much quicker and keep games close.

Now... Buffalo would have fire power to move up and down this year and more next year. We would own 2 drafts and purge the old guys to build a team. We also would have the ability to trade for Nick Foles using the New Orleans #1 next year and a 3rd this year as an option...

2018 Draft

#22, #27, #53, #56, #65, #91, #96, #121, #166, #187 (7x in the first 2 days)

* Pittsburg does not have a 3rd and maybe we can get their 2019 2nd rounder for pick #91?

2019 Draft

1st - own, 1st - NO, 2nd - own, 3rd - own, 4th - own, 4th - NO, 5th - own, 6th - own, 7th -own (possible compensatory picks?)

1. Cleveland Browns
2. New York Giants
3. New York Jets from Indianapolis Colts
4. Cleveland Browns from Houston Texans
5. Denver Broncos
6. Indianapolis Colts from New York Jets
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
8. Chicago Bears
9. San Francisco 49ers
10. Oakland Raiders
11. Miami Dolphins
12. Buffalo Bills from Cincinnati Bengals
13. Washington Redskins
14. Green Bay Packers
15. Arizona Cardinals

16. Baltimore Ravens
17. Los Angeles Chargers
18. Seattle Seahawks
19. Dallas Cowboys
20. Detroit Lions
21. Cincinnati Bengals from Buffalo Bills
22. Buffalo Bills from Kansas City Chiefs
23. Los Angeles Rams
24. Carolina Panthers
25. Tennessee Titans
26. Atlanta Falcons
27. New Orleans Saints
28. Pittsburgh Steelers
29. Jacksonville Jaguars
30. Minnesota Vikings
31. New England Patriots
32. Philadelphia Eagles

Yes,  if all the top QBs are out of reach, my plan A is to trade down for next year picks.

Problem is, outside of WRs from Clemson, teams usually only trade a future 1st for QBs.  What you are suggesting is kind of a catch 22, a player who isn't good enough that we want him but is good enough a team wants to trade up for him.

As an aside, I really can't see the Steelers doing that, that's just not how they operate.

• Like (+1) 1

You dont reverse course a month out from the draft when you have a single goal in mind which is to move up and draft your franchise QB and youve been spending the last year acquiring assets to do so.  

Many are mistaking Inaction with second guessing.  The Bills could have a couple deals on the table involving Giants and Broncos that may go down to draft day. No one knows. 

Until then we’ll get silly threads like this 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

The title of this thread is intentionally misleading

9 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Posters with misleading titles get banned I thought? Wasn't there a thread on this?

Because the OP is relatively new to the board maybe it can serve as a community service to clarify that a title like this one would suggest that the post would contain a link to a reputable source claiming  that the Bills are actually considering a trade down.

This post would be much better titled: "Why I think the Bills may trade down."

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills are going to wait until draft day, and see how things play out.  if their guy is where they think they can get him, they will, if not, they won't, simple as that.  We need ALL of our picks this year as we have glaring holes to fill.  We can't buy the farm without knowing how many cows are in the barn.. ;)

Tim-

• Like (+1) 2

Mayfield doesn't have arm strength issues my friend and his height has not impeded him in any way up to this point. He is a smart QB who diagnoses the defense quickly and slides to find his throwing lane if need be. Mayfield over Allen all day, every day. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, H2o said:

Mayfield doesn't have arm strength issues my friend and his height has not impeded him in any way up to this point. He is a smart QB who diagnoses the defense quickly and slides to find his throwing lane if need be. Mayfield over Allen all day, every day. :thumbsup:

Flutie like, he could play, but, teams caught on how to stop a shorter QB. (arms up) Yes, Mayfield is not as short as DF.

I'd be very surprised if either Allen or Mayfield were still around at 12 and I'd be really upset if they threw away a 12th pick on Jackson or Rudolph. They could trade down and get one of those guys, but why do we even want them. I liked Jackson at first, but after watching him throw at the combine -- UGH! Rudolph, I hear, will never be any more than average QB. If we can't choose from Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield, I say let's tank in 2018 and get our QB next year, if one of available.

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

They may trade down , they may trade up or they may stay where they are

You have impeccable insight, my friend! How do you do it?

32 minutes ago, H2o said:

Can this even be a question?

I'm not a huge fan of the crotch-grabbing, look at me antics. But Baker Mayfield is going to have one helluva NFL career, right out of the gate.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Yes,  if all the top QBs are out of reach, my plan A is to trade down for next year picks.

Problem is, outside of WRs from Clemson, teams usually only trade a future 1st for QBs.  What you are suggesting is kind of a catch 22, a player who isn't good enough that we want him but is good enough a team wants to trade up for him.

As an aside, I really can't see the Steelers doing that, that's just not how they operate.

I agree. The Steelers have traditionally never done that, unless they traded for a QB.

1 hour ago, dezertbill said:

You dont reverse course a month out from the draft when you have a single goal in mind which is to move up and draft your franchise QB and youve been spending the last year acquiring assets to do so.  

Many are mistaking Inaction with second guessing.  The Bills could have a couple deals on the table involving Giants and Broncos that may go down to draft day. No one knows. 

Until then we’ll get silly threads like this 

I definitely believe that the deals are almost in place, but contingent upon the Giants true game plan. QB, DE or trade down. Denver may trade down?

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Wow. That would never happen. Ever. No need to even discuss it.

I hope not, but I would not doubt it what-so-ever.

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Because the OP is relatively new to the board maybe it can serve as a community service to clarify that a title like this one would suggest that the post would contain a link to a reputable source claiming  that the Bills are actually considering a trade down.

This post would be much better titled: "Why I think the Bills may trade down."

Very true. OP in the future it would be a good idea to not seemingly post an opinion as news you're reporting. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

why would we trade up, to turn around and trade down?

1- We used a player not picks to move up. Strategic move to get into position to move up for QB

2 - Beane said that we were not ready yet to evaluate the QBs and Jets boxed us out, by raising the price to 3 first round picks and a 3rd rounder.

3 - Then the Giants traded JPP.... Why? Rosen or Chubb is my guess. Or a trade down to top 5 and still get Chubb or OG

4 - Rosen was the target. Do we believe strongly that Allen/Mayfield can be our guy?

1 hour ago, D521646 said:

The Bills are going to wait until draft day, and see how things play out.  if their guy is where they think they can get him, they will, if not, they won't, simple as that.  We need ALL of our picks this year as we have glaring holes to fill.  We can't buy the farm without knowing how many cows are in the barn.. ;)

Tim-

You should be Assistant GM!

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

Let's trade back to get more ammo for next year when there is even less QBs coming out.

Brilliant.

I hear yah. Luck of the Bills. But overpay for an average QB instead or build the roster?

I buy lottery tickets, but don't expect to win.

However, if a guy is worth the risk pull the trigger or trade up. I can't say since I have to ignore the press.

1 hour ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Can this even be a question?

I'm not a huge fan of the crotch-grabbing, look at me antics. But Baker Mayfield is going to have one helluva NFL career, right out of the gate.

I think you may be right. His swag is off the charts. If Allen had his swag, then I would choose him. Mayfield will be limited. Think Chad Pennington with a bit more juice and athleticism. 

Edited by BBillsWestCoast
because

9 minutes ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

1- We used a player not picks to move up. Strategic move to get into position to move up for QB

2 - Beane said that we were not ready yet to evaluate the QBs and Jets boxed us out, by raising the price to 3 first round picks and a 3rd rounder.

3 - Then the Giants traded JPP.... Why? Rosen or Chubb is my guess. Or a trade down to top 5 and still get Chubb or OG

4 - Rosen was the target. Do we believe strongly that Allen/Mayfield can be our guy?

I know we gave a player not a pick, thats irrelevant. We gave up something to move up, why would we turn around and move back down. We didnt save that much cap space. So we moved up for a strategic qb play, or we wanted a player (say Roquan Smith) that has value around there.

Trading down would negate the glenn trade

Edited by Bray Wyatt

6 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I know we gave a player not a pick, thats irrelevant. We gave up something to move up, why would we turn around and move back down. We didnt save that much cap space. So we moved up for a strategic qb play, or we wanted a player (say Roquan Smith) that has value around there.

Trading down would negate the glenn trade

I believe Roquan is the guy if not a QB, if he is gone, then why not trade down and turn a 2nd round for Glen into a 1?

1 minute ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

I believe Roquan is the guy if not a QB, if he is gone, then why not trade down and turn a 2nd round for Glen into a 1?

That or the other lb edmunds. I have a feeling one of them will be there, but yes is one of the top 4 qbs are gone and the lbs are gone, we may take vita vea too.  If he is gone too, then trade back i guess, but i think that has the smallest chance of happening

1 minute ago, Bray Wyatt said:

That or the other lb edmunds. I have a feeling one of them will be there, but yes is one of the top 4 qbs are gone and the lbs are gone, we may take vita vea too.  If he is gone too, then trade back i guess, but i think that has the smallest chance of happening

Edmunds physically is a dream guy, but I hear he is slow to react. Can teach that, so he to me makes him Zack Brown with size, but I did love Urlacher!.