Either Matthews or Hurns

H2o

Zay Jones mental health is the greatest concern and I hope he gets his life straight, but the league doesn't stop for him. Expect the Bills to heavily pursue resigning Matthews or bringing in Allen Hurns over the next few days. 

Just now, Boca BIlls said:

All Zay did was take some bad drugs.

I got money on Spice or Molly and the league will surely have their say in it. He may just be ****ing crazy and not like Robert Woods crazy. Who knows at this point, but you have to be prepared. 

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

Jordan Matthews please. I feel like he is a better WR than we saw last year.

I agree. He’s not a 1, he’s barely a 2 but he’s a great 3.  Considering our current situation, we could use him.  Shouldn’t be as expensive as Hurns.  I’m sure he’s looking for 6-8 mill a year....and is still a free agent because of it.  2 year backloaded deal worth 5 mill might not be so bad

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

I got money on Spice or Molly and the league will surely have their say in it. He may just be ****ing crazy and not like Robert Woods crazy. Who knows at this point, but you have to be prepared. 

As long as we get the right QB we will be fine.

8 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Yeah. I’ve had some questionable nights in my day. They just weren’t caught on video.

And I’m awesome.

Zay had a bad night. I’m sure he’s fine.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, H2o said:

Zay Jones mental health is the greatest concern and I hope he gets his life straight, but the league doesn't stop for him. Expect the Bills to heavily pursue resigning Matthews or bringing in Allen Hurns over the next few days. 

We only have 5.8 mill left.You do realize you need emergency money in case of injuries? 

Just now, Jay_Fixit said:

Yeah. I’ve had some questionable nights in my day. They just weren’t caught on video.

And I’m awesome.

I could tell you a few VERY ,VERY questionable nights and days in my day to.Some caught on old Kodak camera film.ohh yeah...p.s.-ever try to bang a ,.................. with a wig and make up on your head and face?

• Haha (+1) 1

I'd be OK with Matthews.  I agree with the notion that he is better than he showed last year when he was dealing with old undiagnosed injuries.  His sub par season a year ago seems to have gotten in the way of signing a lucrative contract, so he may be willing to come back on a one year prove it deal.

15 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Assuming that the story is accurate, there are medical conditions that can cause aberrant behaviors such as benign tumors that put pressure on certain areas of the brain. The 1st thing they need to do is take a look and see if they can find anything out of the ordinary. Iassume drug testing will be done.

I think Matthews would be an interesting player to up their offer to. Hurns just got released and he is on a lot of visits at the moment. Hurns is going to get a good offer, the market has not come to the Bills on Hurns, it could simply be too much for the Bills blood for a player like Hurns (Hurns coming off of two banged-up seasons.) But the market doesn't seem to be hot on Matthews other than a visit with the Cardinals there hasn't been any activity on them. I say up your offer a little bit more than your standing offer and see if you come in above Arizona. Matthews was clearly the teams best receiver when healthy. There isn't much at receiver beyond Benjamin, Matthews could ensure a good slot receiver in case Jones can't overcome his yips and recent troubles. 

57 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

And I’m awesome.

This^^^.  The league is going to continue to see crap like this as long as they are testing for MJ..... good thing too, could you imagine what wouldve happened had he smoke actualy marijuana, instead of k2/spice???? (sarcasm font)

19 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think Matthews would be an interesting player to up their offer to. Hurns just got released and he is on a lot of visits at the moment. Hurns is going to get a good offer, the market has not come to the Bills on Hurns, it could simply be too much for the Bills blood for a player like Hurns (Hurns coming off of two banged-up seasons.) But the market doesn't seem to be hot on Matthews other than a visit with the Cardinals there hasn't been any activity on them. I say up your offer a little bit more than your standing offer and see if you come in above Arizona. Matthews was clearly the teams best receiver when healthy. There isn't much at receiver beyond Benjamin, Matthews could ensure a good slot receiver in case Jones can't overcome his yips and recent troubles. 

I think you guys are overrating Hurns.  Sure, in 2015 when Bortles was great, he had a good season with 60 recs, 1000+ yards and 10 TDs.  Then in 2016, Bortles was horrible and it affected everybody. In 2017, Bortles rebounded some and with Allen Robinson injured for the year in the opener, Hurns had a great opportunity but he didn't come thru.  He ended up not even starting as Marqise Lee and Dede Westbrook became the starters.  Hurns finished with 39 receptions, 484 yards and 2 TDs.

I would not offer big money for Hurns.  If he gets it elsewhere, good for him.

1 minute ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I think you guys are overrating Hurns.  Sure, in 2015 when Bortles was great, he had a good season with 60 recs, 1000+ yards and 10 TDs.  Then in 2016, Bortles was horrible and it affected everybody. In 2017, Bortles rebounded some and with Allen Robinson injured for the year in the opener, Hurns had a great opportunity but he didn't come thru.  He ended up not even starting as Marqise Lee and Dede Westbrook became the starters.  Hurns finished with 39 receptions, 484 yards and 2 TDs.

I would not offer big money for Hurns.  If he gets it elsewhere, good for him.

Hurns has some talent even last season he was decent, 39 receptions for 484 yards in 10 games with Bortles throwing to you isn't too shabby. The guy missed just over a third of the season, prorate that over 16 games and you are looking at 55 receptions for just under 700 yards, in any context that is quality WR3 production, but adjust for the fact that the Jags were not only a run heavy offense but a bad overall offense (Who wasn't throwing a lot due to a fantastic defense keeping them in games if not giving them the lead in games) and I think I see why people think Hurns could be better in a better offense. 

I think the main question with Hurns isn't the talent, when he has been on the field he has been a better than average player and in 2015 he peaked with a near all-star level (All-Star in this context being a top 6 player at your position in your conference, which Hurns wasn't be he certainly was a notch below that in terms of raw output.) Some team is going to overpay Hurns on speculation and potential which is what you are usually paying for in free agency. 

If a player is worth it take your shot, name your price, and if it takes more than you are comfortable with then pass. I think the Bills front office is very disciplined in that sense. If they want a player they go get him at the cost but if they don't want them they just name a low ball price they are comfortable with and see if the market comes back to them.  

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I agree. He’s not a 1, he’s barely a 2 but he’s a great 3.  Considering our current situation, we could use him.  Shouldn’t be as expensive as Hurns.  I’m sure he’s looking for 6-8 mill a year....and is still a free agent because of it.  2 year backloaded deal worth 5 mill might not be so bad

He's a "big slot" wr.

Calling him a #3 implies he can play wherever the #1 and #2 don't and excel.........which is not the case.

He plays the Y and if he plays outside the numbers at X or Z he's a liability.  

And not every team wants a big slot WR...........some will use a TE there or a smaller, quicker receiver like NE prefers in their version of the  "EP" system.

The Bills already have KB and (for the time being at least) Zay who are both best suited to be Y receivers.

Bills need guys with speed who can play outside.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

We only have 5.8 mill left.You do realize you need emergency money in case of injuries? 

I could tell you a few VERY ,VERY questionable nights and days in my day to.Some caught on old Kodak camera film.ohh yeah...p.s.-ever try to bang a ,.................. with a wig and make up on your head and face?

Where is the 5.8M in space coming from???  Spotrac has us at 21M in space. Already accounting for the draft pool too (which we likely wont have all those picks)

Just saying what Spotrac has same as Over The Cap. 

So I think they are right and it isnt 5.8M

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills/

Kyle will count another 5.5 (when he goes on a 500k Salary falls off)

so around 16M. The rest of the unallocated are small numbers. We are way over 5.8M in space. 

Edited by MAJBobby

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's a "big slot" wr.

Calling him a #3 implies he can play wherever the #1 and #2 don't and excel.........which is not the case.

He plays the Y and if he plays outside the numbers at X or Z he's a liability.  

And not every team wants a big slot WR...........some will use a TE there or a smaller, quicker receiver like NE prefers in their version of the  "EP" system.

The Bills already have KB and (for the time being at least) Zay who are both best suited to be Y receivers.

Bills need guys with speed who can play outside.  

Right now we have KB.  And that’s it.  That’s the reality of the situation.  If we get Zay back, it’s a bonus.  I wouldn’t count of him playing much of a role this year.  I hope I’m wrong.  Matthews is a veteran WR that can help us.  For that reason, I’d be ok with signing him at a good price and signing/drafting others with speed.  

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I expect that is more what the Bills will be looking for in the slot.  Normally the middle and later rounds of the draft are full of those types..... unfortunately for the Bills I think the potential NFL calibre slot guys in this in this draft come down to Anthony Miller, Christian Kirk and DJ Moore. If the Bills are trading up then whether any of those get to our mid round picks is doubtful I thinks.  Especially in such a weak receiver class. Is there anyone still out there in FA who fits that mold?

We have enough money to get a deal done with someone. I expect them to push to sign a guy now. No one knows how this situation will play out and it happened early enough for Beane to cover his bases. I would like for us to bring Matthews back in, even if it's only a 1 year deal. Addressing this position will happen speedily now I expect. 

9 hours ago, H2o said:

Expect the Bills to heavily pursue resigning Matthews or bringing in Allen Hurns over the next few days. 

Tiny pet peeve that probably doesn't matter to anyone but me...but its so annoying when people phrase stuff like this. You need to put "I expect the Bills...blah blah blah". The way that's phrased makes it sound like you think you are some insider who knows everything the Bills are going to do....which is obviously not the case with 99.5% of the posters here - myself included.

Ok. I apologize for the rant...lol

45 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

Tiny pet peeve that probably doesn't matter to anyone but me...but its so annoying when people phrase stuff like this. You need to put "I expect the Bills...blah blah blah". The way that's phrased makes it sound like you think you are some insider who knows everything the Bills are going to do....which is obviously not the case with 99.5% of the posters here - myself included.

Ok. I apologize for the rant...lol

My most humble apologies for irking your nerves my friend. We decided that was how the statement should be phrased and we will leave it as such. Now excuse me while we go back to leveling ground for the parking lot at the new stadium. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, H2o said:

My most humble apologies for irking your nerves my friend. We decided that was how the statement should be phrased and we will leave it as such. Now excuse me while we go back to leveling ground for the parking lot at the new stadium. :lol:

LOL I forgive you! :):)

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

We most likely do not have 6-8 million to spend there w/o some unplanned changes.  

Honestly would rather just dumpster dive then overpay someone to be something they aren't.  Maybe we find another Stevie, or maybe we're just the Bears with a terrible WR corps and we roll into next year, either way Matthews or Hurns isn't the answer.

8 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Where is the 5.8M in space coming from???  Spotrac has us at 21M in space. Already accounting for the draft pool too (which we likely wont have all those picks)

If anything we will have those picks as recent events most likely have dinged those plans if Beane was truly thinking about it versus it being a fan, media, and IB fantasy.

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

If anything we will have those picks as recent events most likely have dinged those plans if Beane was truly thinking about it versus it being a fan, media, and IB fantasy.

Either way even if we use all the picks (we wont) you can still use that money Now. There is more than enough once June 1 comes to sign those players with simple restructuring and Woods coming off. 

They have more than enough money to sign some Vet WRs today. 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Either way even if we use all the picks (we wont) you can still use that money Now. There is more than enough once June 1 comes to sign those players with simple restructuring and Woods coming off. 

They have more than enough money to sign some Vet WRs today. 

I still do not see a true replacement for Jones in terms of assignment in the field of FA WR's.  I just see body's to fill a position.

16 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I still do not see a true replacement for Jones in terms of assignment in the field of FA WR's.  I just see body's to fill a position.

What is Jones to you a slot??? 

Jordan Matthews 

Kendall Wright

Brandon Coleman

Benny Fowler

Markus Weaton

An outside WR

Allen Hurns

T Pryor

Maclin

Wallace

add zero compensation RFAs

Cameron Meredith

Willie Snead

and Other RFA WRs that require compensation 

Quincy Enuwa - 2nd

Tyrell Williams - 2nd

Adama Humphries - 2nd 

more than just bodys. Then add in the post draft veteran cuts that occur every year. 

Edited by MAJBobby