Dan Patrick: Bills have called Browns about #1 pick

19 minutes ago, Success said:

Due diligence.  More and more I feel like we won’t be trading into the top 5.

i get the due diligence...

but how do you come to the conclusion buffalo inquires about 1st pick = not trading up?

its not math... but if it was the math wouldnt work

1 minute ago, Like A Mofo said:

No way Cleveland moves out of 1. Browns need players, they already have a great draft board. At some point you need to take high end players in a draft and stop accumulating so many picks.

Yeah Cleveland really needs some proven, ascending young players more than they need picks...........and for the balance of the haul they would probably rather have future first round picks rather than more now.    Probably looking for something more like a Chris Hinton/Andre Rison and picks for #1 pick(Jeff George) deal from 1990.

In that aspect the Bills ammunition isn't that impressive versus the field.   

The Bills only have 2 young players of any trade value.........Tre White and Dawkins..........both of whom Cleveland would surely covet as they are areas of need.......but they almost CAN'T trade Dawkins and would certainly loathe to trade White.

If you know what the price is for 2, you've gotta see if it's similar for the price of 1.  If 1 is remotely close, just go to 1 and make sure you get your guy.

Also potentially helps with negotiations with the Giants if they think they are in the catbird seat.

The more picks Cleveland has the easier they can move back up from other picks to get to load up even more 1st,2nd round picks. It's a easy cash cow, sure they would have a ton of picks but to have all those is a great chip to move later picks to top picks. They could easily end up with 10-12 picks in the top 2 rounds

Edited by xRUSHx

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I do not think the Browns are moving. I do think the Bills are determining market for the #1 now that the cost for #3 is locked in, to re-set on their offer for the #2 pick. 

Its the same thing they did in FA with the QBs. Beane straight up said that they made calls about QBs as due diligence on market with no intent on signing them. 

I think it's great he is doing the his due diligence on the trade value.  If it's not there, don't take it.  No reason to give up the farm to move up.

All of this conversation prior to the draft might be moot thought once everything starts to take shape.  Things can change pretty quickly...

I think what you’ll see Buffalo will trade somewhere in the 6-11 area to get their guy.  I just can’t see the Giants going QB. 

The Bills will get the # 4 guy it seems. I think your likely to see Darnold and Allen be the first two off the board. If the Broncos take a QB at 5 (which isn’t a guarantee) the Bills will end up with either Rosen or Mayfield at 6-7

22 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

The old Browns GM would have traded the pick but they will stay at 1 and select a QB.  I'm glad the Bills have explored the possibility of trading for the pick though.  

They have to.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

I think what you’ll see Buffalo will trade somewhere in the 6-11 area to get their guy.  I just can’t see the Giants going QB. 

The Bills will get the # 4 guy it seems. I think your likely to see Darnold and Allen be the first two off the board. If the Broncos take a QB at 5 (which isn’t a guarantee) the Bills will end up with either Rosen or Mayfield at 6-7

I do think the Giants will take a QB but not at 2. They will take one with one of their multiple  prime picks they get in return for 2.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

The more picks Cleveland has the easier they can move up from other picks to get the load up even more 1st,2nd round picks. It's a easy cash cow, sure they would have a ton of picks but to have all those is a great chip to move later picks to top picks.

Draft Day

The Browns have to settle at QB, but they flip all their picks around to get Vontae Mack (Chubb) and Ray Jennings (Barkley) and commits to the underappreciated vet at QB, Dorsey then bangs the cap girl in the closet and sends flowers to his mom.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'll be surprised if the Browns move out of #1. 

I would eat my shirt if the browns trade #1.

Although it would be very brownsey.

If sashi brown was still running the show, I think it would be more likely.

Dorsey? Don't think so, at least not without "going Ditka"

16 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Trade up to 1 and take Allen. Damn. IDK how I'd feel about it.

I would be very nervous, but at the same time I'd be happy we took a risk.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s where I am at. I was positive that the Bills were going up. I am not positive now but think that it is probably still likely. They will ask on 1 & 2. I suspect that the Bills are trying to get up without using the 2019 1st. Something like this: 12, 22, 53, 65 and a 2019 4th (we have 2 of those). That would be a nice return for the Giants. The Giants would have 12, 22, 34, 53, 65, 66, 102, 135, 139, 176 (plus the pick next year). That would give them crazy flexibility too. They can move all over the board if there are guys that they like.

The Bills keep 56 and 96 along with next year’s 1. They will get their QB and maybe 2 other starters out of this class. 

I like this breakdown.

I'd be shocked however if next years 1 isnt used. 

Its kinda the end all in regard to one upping other teams considering a move up.

Sure, there are smaller pieces that can be added... but the 1 is what would put us over the top.

Odd as it sounds, the 1 next year could also allow for the chance of a normal draft this year and next. 

no idea obviously, just a little conjecture 

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

There would be a riot in Cleveland.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I agree they need to take a shot. It is Buffalo tho and risk takers don't last long here. I personally would be willing to give McDermott two or three shots at the QB position. We do know how the radio drives narratives here tho.

Edited by CuddyDark
  • Like (+1) 1

I would have to believe that the Browns won't be trading out of their first pick but they have to at least listen to the offer to see if it is something they simply could not refuse.  I don't believe that will be the case though.

Also, I do believe the Giants will select a QB.  I know there is all this talk of them trying to compete for Super Bowl now, but it will be awfully difficult for them to have an opportunity better than this year to select a franchise QB, and with Eli being at the end of his career I think it would be GM malpractice to not get Eli's successor.  

If that plays out the way I believe it will, which is that 3 QB's will be selected with the first 3 picks then I think it's very possible that the Bills miss out on their preferred QB and they stay pat with their 12 pick and not chase after the 4th QB, unless of course they are fortunate enough to where the 4th QB happened to be the one they were hoping for.  Which I'd put those odds at 33%.  

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Draft Day

The Browns have to settle at QB, but they flip all their picks around to get Vontae Mack (Chubb) and Ray Jennings (Barkley) and commits to the underappreciated vet at QB, Dorsey then bangs the cap girl in the closet and sends flowers to his mom.

Browns could end up with 3 picks in the top 10 this year if the packages work out. Sure they would lose first pick but could end up with 4-6-10. With so much draft capital they could move at will. Just my opinion in it.

Edited by xRUSHx

24 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

This makes it worse if they can't trade up. Go get him, whatever it takes. 

It takes another team willing to move back to the pick you have to offer. That's the reality of it. Thus far, it hasn't worked out. Pick 12 isn't that sexy if you're set on drafting an elite talent. Calling the Browns doesn't make anything worse, though. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

It takes another team willing to move back to the pick you have to offer. That's the reality of it. Thus far, it hasn't worked out. Pick 12 isn't that sexy if you're set on drafting an elite talent. Calling the Browns doesn't make anything worse, though. 

That 12 pick could be moved up if Browns trade with Indy. 

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It means they are about to miss out on a QB they think is a franchise QB. Donahoe tried to trade and didn't want to give 2 1sts for Roethlisberger. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

5 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

I like this breakdown.

I'd be shocked however if next years 1 isnt used. 

Its kinda the end all in regard to one upping other teams considering a move up.

Sure, there are smaller pieces that can be added... but the 1 is what would put us over the top.

Odd as it sounds, the 1 next year could also allow for the chance of a normal draft this year and next. 

no idea obviously, just a little conjecture 

That 1 next year is the deal breaker for me. It may be a top 10 pick in a draft with ELITE DL prospects. They are the next most impactful players. I’d continue adding assets from this draft before I gave up the chance for Oliver, Bosa or Gary. I will go as far as to say that I think their 2019 1st is the most valuable asset that they have.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills and Browns have had a lot of talks btw. It likely took some time to deal the Tyrod deal. They talked to Hue about AJ.  They have each other in a good pattern of open communication. Plus it wasn’t Beane, but it was McD... and Dorsey did big business with the Bills last year to land his QB with the Chefs. 

20 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Sad part about this is it seems pick 2 is not available. 

I think you may be right. Seems that the 2nd pick makes more sense but maybe Gettleman isn't willing to trade down. I think the Jets must have tried to get to #1 and #2 before making the deal with Indy. All is not lost. I think McCarron is going to do better than people think. Don't reach for a QB if a franchise guy isn't there. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, turftoe said:

I think you may be right. Seems that the 2nd pick makes more sense but maybe Gettleman isn't willing to trade down. I think the Jets must have tried to get to #1 and #2 before making the deal with Indy. All is not lost. I think McCarron is going to do better than people think. Don't reach for a QB if a franchise guy isn't there. 

So after all this trading and moving players you are ok with this team once again using a backup QB from another team as it's starting QB. To wish for that one miracle, yippy

Edited by xRUSHx

1 minute ago, turftoe said:

McCarron? McCarron should be the backup plan. 

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe it's legit....but also, maybe, Beane is such a sly fox, that he's leaking this stuff himself in hopes to get the Broncos or Cards to pay a king's ransom to get to the Giants...or better yet, Miami (if it's true they want a QB, which seems hard to believe), and essentially smoke out the room so they can have the pick they want at 12....I'm just suggesting an alternative before anyone comes at me with pitchforks....also, Shady's on the block. Believe it...especially if it's going up....just sayin'....

6 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I admit, I have a hard time keeping up wit all of this...but suppose the Bills work something out for the #4 pick (with Cleveland) assuming Barkley doesn't get taken by the Giants or Jets?

How about the Browns take Darnold #1.........then see how the next two picks play out..........then if Allen is there at #4 and they like him just as much.....they deal Darnold to Buffalo for a #1 overall pick mega-haul and then take Allen.

That would be ballsy but beats the hell out of the return they would get for the #4 overall pick.

Ton of scenarios that could play out.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

It means they are about to miss out on a QB they think is a franchise QB. 

Possibly, but the draft hasn't even started yet. There's an awful lot of details and happenenings we don't yet know. A move up is still completely possible. What we DO know is that the Bills began with pick 21 and 22 in round one. Neither is high enough to get the top prospect(s) at QB. They now have picks 12 and 22. Still not high enough. It's clear that all along the Bills were possibly going to " miss out". They did miss out on drafting Watson or perhaps Mahomes. They had the opportunity. Fans assumed they'd have a better chance at a QB this year, but that isn't true at this point. They don't have an opportunity yet in 2018 and they never have. So it's not any worse. It's pretty much the same. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

36 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

We have the assets. Get it done. They dumped cap, and we can fill holes in free agency next year. 

It takes two teams to make a trade though.

In my opinion it makes no sense for the Browns to pass on Darnold or Rosen at 1 and drop all the way to 12. They need a QB, and they should draft the best one available 

Edited by billsfan11

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

How about the Browns take Darnold #1.........then see how the next two picks play out..........then if Allen is there at #4 and they like him just as much.....they deal Darnold to Buffalo for a #1 overall pick mega-haul and then take Allen.

That would be ballsy but beats the hell out of the return they would get for the #4 overall pick.

Ton of scenarios that could play out.

Still lots of scenarios. It seems at this point any move ( with the exception of NYG pick at 2 maybe) will have to come during the draft. There's no certainty at any other spot that a particular player will be on the board. They probably have to wait. 

When there's a leak, you have to think about who the information benefits.  In this case, it potentially benefits the Bills to have the Giants hear they are talking about #1.  We clearly have a good business relationship with Cleveland, it's potentially likely Beane and Dorsey have talked about who is going #1 so the Bills know if it's worth going to #2 and as part of the dialogue Beane says "we wouldn't be upset if you told people we were talking about pick #1".  It also wouldn't hurt the Browns to have the phones ringing about teams "asking for #1" and have them say "QBs are going 1-3, but we've got this 4th pick hanging out here too".

Man, how different would life be if we just traded with Houston instead of KC, we are sitting at 4, potentially even at 2 already with just some minor consideration?