Brady Quinn (CBS Sports) now projecting we trade up to take Josh Allen?!

http://cbsprt.co/2HCCmDV

The video has Brady Quinn's mock with the Bills moving up to take Allen 2nd overall...

I've been under the impression that Allen was a mid-round talent that could drop even further since he's so raw, and basically just has the prototypical QB "look," without the accolades & accomplishments to go with it.

Why would anyone TRADE UP to grab him? Maybe trade down, but into the top 3 and #2 overall?! The old Bills regimes were known for a few reaches, but this would be an even riskier one. Is there any talk of us having our sights set on him?

Granted it's just one mock, but we've seen this show before. A QB who's average-above average but with the look and size moves up not based on his on-field play, but his measurements/combine/pro-day/etc. as the draft gets closer. Really hoping there isn't a bigger thing going on behind the scenes here where people from OBD are lapping up Allen's "ceiling" & media members are catching wind of this.

Thankfully, this mock also by CBS Sports has us moving up to #3 & grabbing Darnold (who's actually the highest rated by NFL.com draft profile of any QB the past several years) - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-bills-trade-up-into-top-five-for-qb-saquon-barkley-drops/  and looks more realistic. Oddly, it also has Allen ranked high, this time at #1 overall.

According to NFL.com, Allen is rated a 6.01, Mayfield a 6.03,  Rosen a 6.19,  and Darnold a 7.0.

Why are teams so enamored with Allen?

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Domdab99 said:

Who gives a **** what Brady Quinn says?

Multiple mocks have Allen now a top 3 QB, potentially even #1 overall (like the 2nd link I posted).

My question is why, and are there rumblings the Bills are targeting him that I've missed?

Here we go, this page shows all of their picks - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft/

Pete Prisco has the Bills taking Josh Allen at #3

Brady Quinn has the Bills taking Josh Allen at #2

Will Brinson has the Browns taking Josh Allen at #1

Chris Trapasso has the Browns taking Josh Allen at #1

RJ White has the Browns taking Josh Allen at #1

Ryan Wilson has the Giants taking Josh Allen at #1

So wtf happened that shot Josh Allen up to #1? Look at his game log, he's not good against good teams, and has a mid 50% accuracy with ok numbers. 

Edited by BigDingus

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

Here we go, this page shows all of their picks - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft/

So wtf happened that shot Josh Allen up to #1? Look at his game log, he's not good against good teams, and has a mid 50% accuracy with ok numbers. 

He can throw a football 61mph. :lol:

What happened is NFL GMs know how to play their cards. They have their eyes set on a guy or guys, and a good way to keep that secret is to give the impression that that person is someone else. 

Allen is the perfect pawn.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

http://cbsprt.co/2HCCmDV

The video has Brady Quinn's mock with the Bills moving up to take Allen 2nd overall...

I've been under the impression that Allen was a mid-round talent that could drop even further since he's so raw, and basically just has the prototypical QB "look," without the accolades & accomplishments to go with it.

Why would anyone TRADE UP to grab him? Maybe trade down, but into the top 3 and #2 overall?! The old Bills regimes were known for a few reaches, but this would be an even riskier one. Is there any talk of us having our sights set on him?

Granted it's just one mock, but we've seen this show before. A QB who's average-above average but with the look and size moves up not based on his on-field play, but his measurements/combine/pro-day/etc. as the draft gets closer. Really hoping there isn't a bigger thing going on behind the scenes here where people from OBD are lapping up Allen's "ceiling" & media members are catching wind of this.

Thankfully, this mock also by CBS Sports has us moving up to #3 & grabbing Darnold (who's actually the highest rated by NFL.com draft profile of any QB the past several years) - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-bills-trade-up-into-top-five-for-qb-saquon-barkley-drops/  and looks more realistic.

Nothing to see here, Dingus. 

1) a bunch of pundits have been Mocking Josh Allen very high and further pumping him up since the Combine.

Mayock has Darnold and Allen ahead of Rosen.

Kiper has Allen going #1 overall to the Browns, and as the top QB on his mock.

I'd love to know how often those guys are right.  I remember Kiper on The Pickle (can't miss, he'd retire if he doesn't succeed) and Gabbert (#1 overall!)

There's all kind of stuff about how Allen "Won the Combine"

2) a bunch of pundits have been Mocking Allen to the Bills for weeks - Ben Allbright is one, Daniel Jeremiah has us trading up to #3 and taking Allen!

Sounds like Brady Quinn is basically just copying them.   Lately Allbright has been saying Allen/Rosen to Bills.  Which means Bills probably want Darnold or Baker.

Count me as not on the Allen train.  I want Rosen or Mayfield based on what they show on game film.  I don't like Darnold's throwing motion at all.  I don't like the way Allen responds to pressure in the pocket, nor his mechanics.  But that's just me, and in addition to my limited film skills of course I don't know what kind of football knowledge these guys have or how they come across in person.

12 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

What most fans don't understand is Allen is the #2 QB. We don't like it but he is rated higher than Rosen and Mayfield.

I think we understand this, the question is what are the chops of the people doing this rating, and what is their basis for it?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Multiple mocks have Allen now a top 3 QB, potentially even #1 overall (like the 2nd link I posted).

My question is why, and are there rumblings the Bills are targeting him that I've missed?

Multiple mocks had us taking Paxton Lynch a few years ago.  Ian Rapoport even said 5 minutes before our pick that we would select Lynch.

12 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

What most fans don't understand is Allen is the #2 QB. We don't like it but he is rated higher than Rosen and Mayfield.

He's really not though.. He's rated low on every chart.

NFL.com's draft profiles have him as the worst, and this one - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/quarterbacks/ has him ranked the 6th best QB prospect...

Everywhere I search, he's bottom of the barrel in terms of top names, and even when breaking down by skill set, he's ranked dead last in nearly every category except for arm strength & mobility.

14 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Message board posters know more than NFL execs.

Duh.

NFL.com's draft profiles have him as the worst, and this one - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/quarterbacks/ has him ranked the 6th best QB prospect...

Everywhere I search, he's bottom of the barrel in terms of top names, and even when breaking down by skill set, he's ranked dead last in nearly every category except for arm strength & mobility.

That list has Mason Rudolph as a top10 pick and the #1 QB, and Lamar Jackson as the #2 QB.

That's clearly a list just trying to get clicks by ranking against the grain.

5 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

What happened is NFL GMs know how to play their cards. They have their eyes set on a guy or guys, and a good way to keep that secret is to give the impression that that person is someone else. 

Allen is the perfect pawn.

That might be part of it. 

I have suspected since  Kiper touted Blaine Gabbert as a number 1 pick, that certain agents may pay certain "talking heads" to puff up their clients.  Since then someone who works as a scout told me it happens.

Now Allen has helped his cause by a better-than-expected Sr Bowl performance and by good passing at the Combine, but I still think he's getting puffed up out of proportion.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BigDingus said:

He really isn’t.  There are some who think that his raw talent warrants a very high pick. 

This is is not a cut and dried, no debate situation.

11 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Allen has moved up to the top QB in a lot of lists. Not sure why?

1) "Howitzer for an Arm" 

2) "Looks the way you want your QB to Look" 

3) "Clay you can Mold to your Liking"

Don't shoot me, not my view.  Just answering the Q

7 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

That list has Mason Rudolph as a top10 pick and the #1 QB, and Lamar Jackson as the #2 QB.

That's clearly a list just trying to get clicks by ranking against the grain.

I was trying to figure out whose list that was, and from when.

Could be a last gasp attempt to get the Browns to take him #1 (say, if the Bills want Darnold). As was mentioned above, there are things to like about him, and he may have helped himself at the senior bowl, though he was inconsistent (shocker I know). A scary prospect. 

Edited by NickelCity
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JXCOL3 said:

If we select Allen this message board is going to go into a frenzy

By those that don’t understand that all picks are risky.  I could understand why they might be enticed by his physical talent.  It happens at all other positions as well.

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That might be part of it. 

I have suspected since  Kiper touted Blaine Gabbert as a number 1 pick, that certain agents may pay certain "talking heads" to puff up their clients.  Since then someone who works as a scout told me it happens.

Now Allen has helped his cause by a better-than-expected Sr Bowl performance and by good passing at the Combine, but I still think he's getting puffed up out of proportion.

No doubt that happens. That kind of thing isn't exclusive to football.

But the main issue in this thread shouldn't be the idea that Allen is being overhyped, or why. It should be the idea that the Bills, specifically, are the team that will draft him @ #2 overall.

IMO, Beane had eyes on a QB or QBs over a year ago, hence the trades to gain extra draft capital. Once they happened, many of us felt it was all with the intention of adding ammo for a move up in this year's draft for a QB. Now, Taylor is gone, and they moved Glenn to move up already, which all but tips the hand that the Bills want a QB In the draft.  I have a hard time believing that all of this was done for a player that wasn't considered a top 2 QB until 2018, warranted or not.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

All just guesses...

This.  I've seen every one  of the top four QBs projected as the top QB taken over the last few weeks.  When we get to the end of April, someone will turn our to be right.  others will prove to be wrong.  But the one(s) who turn out to be right won't be smarter than everybody else.  They will just have been a little luckier in their guessing.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

1) "Howitzer for an Arm" 

Yeah it's completely bananas

Darnold is listed at #22

Seriously?

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

1) "Howitzer for an Arm" 

Sounds like you're describing EJ Manuel. That was Chris Trepasso's list.

12 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

This.  I've seen every one  of the top four QBs projected as the top QB taken over the last few weeks.  When we get to the end of April, someone will turn our to be right.  others will prove to be wrong.  But the one(s) who turn out to be right won't be smarter than everybody else.  They will just have been a little luckier in their guessing.

Not only that, but that QB may not end up being the "right" one. It very possible the Bills trade up to wherever and select Rosen, and he doesn't pan out. Or Allen ends up being the best in the draft when all is said and done.

48 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

He's been #1 to many scouts for a while now but did you watch the combine? He was far and away better than everyone there. He passes the "throws the football well while wearing shorts" test. Not exactly a reason to draft someone but it solidified what a lot of the scouts already thought, that he has a once in a generation arm talent. I don't remember any QB ever putting on a show like that at the combine. All of his throws had the wow factor

I am going to point and laugh at all of the butt hurt around here if we trade up for Allen.

I am going to take a wait and see approach.  As long as we take a top 4 guy, I am pretty sure these guys have a good handle on it.  Especially considering they have an entire frigging department of scouts, had boots on the ground a most of their games, and actually evaluate talent for a living in contrast to a really prolific forum poster who fancies himself a scout.

:beer:

19 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Prototypical NFL QB who doesn’t accross as a dbag (Rosen, Mayfield), it’s not to difficult to figure out. With that said,  NFL teams are wrong quite a bit. 

No one really knows. Those scouts and GMs, for the most part, don't have a friggin' clue. They just have to say the right things, act like they know, and hope their resume speaks for them.  We're not getting the number one or number 2 pick. Number 3 pick trade with Colts is the best we can do. Rosen is the guy.