AJ McCarron wins grievance vs Bengals, is UFA

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ah...ok...for some reason I though he had not seen the field other than to just close out a game once it was decided.  That at least makes a little more sense then even though 6 TD's in 4 games isn't exactly world beating, but at least there is some tape on him when it matters with moderate success.

He had a playoff game against the Steelers won that year and then Burfict went nuts and the Hill fumble happened. He doesn't have a lot of experience, but has playoff experience and has been developed. He deserves a chance. I don't think he is a great fit here, but he deserves a chance somewhere. 

2 hours ago, PolishDave said:

You already know Taylor's upside though.   You don't know McCarron's.

Yes, but.

Dalton had a pretty poor year this year.  Something like 4 games where he passed for less than 150 yards, and 3 games where he threw more INTs than TDs, including a 4 INT outing (and more where equal numbers TD and INT).

And yet AJ McCarron continued to Ride the Pine.  Why would that be, if he's an uncut gem all developed and just waiting to shine?  Lewis likes to have an "L" tattooed on his forehead or something?

53 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think he had like 6 TDs and 2 INTs in 3 starts a few years back.

EDIT: He played the better part of 4 games in 2015. 6 TDs, 2 INTs

This is true.  And his completion percentage was good, as was his YPA.

What was lacking was total passing yardage.  I probably sound a bit hypocritical because I preach the Truth that passing yardage (overall) is not correlated to winning (in fact, high passing yardage is correlated weakly to losing!)

But, there seems to be a threshold of passing yards below which winning is less likely, I just haven't sorted the data to figure out the precise number - somewhere between 100 and 200 ypg I think.

In the 3 reg. season games McCarron started, he averaged 102 ypg.  And yes, he had AJ Green, Sanu, etc as targets.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont understand the obsession about him.  He wasn't even that highly regarded as a prospect in the draft and has done nothing in the NFL since he has been stuck behind Dalton.  Even Jimmy G played 2 impressive games for the Pats, AJ has gotten no field time.  

I get teams might be curious, but I just cant see why anyone should pay him for being a complete mystery.  Thats like bidding on a storage unit without knowing what is inside at all.  Sure, once in a while it pays off, but most the time its trash.  

I have no idea if AJ will be good or bad...but thats the point.  Crazy to bet on a mediocre draft prospect thats yet to play in the NFL any significant minutes.

Is this how you felt when we signed Taylor? Because McCarron has done way more in college and as a backup then Taylor did. He should've won that playoff game vs Pittsburgh, McCarron played a good game and gave his team a chance to win.

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont understand the obsession about him.  He wasn't even that highly regarded as a prospect in the draft and has done nothing in the NFL since he has been stuck behind Dalton.  Even Jimmy G played 2 impressive games for the Pats, AJ has gotten no field time.  

I get teams might be curious, but I just cant see why anyone should pay him for being a complete mystery.  Thats like bidding on a storage unit without knowing what is inside at all.  Sure, once in a while it pays off, but most the time its trash.  

I have no idea if AJ will be good or bad...but thats the point.  Crazy to bet on a mediocre draft prospect thats yet to play in the NFL any significant minutes.

i am in this same boat.

3 hours ago, rodneykm said:

I'd be pretty ok with AJ honestly. I've always thought he could be in that mid level, solid if unspectacular range as a QB. He can throw too so that'd be an upgrade. 

...never understood why OBD didn't take a late round flier in the 5th for the kid (typical OBD)....nothing flashy or spectacular but a cerebral game manager......not much of a body of work....I'd bet McBeane is looking for a vet that gives the club a "two year net" vet under contract to mentor the new 1st round QB selection and Peterman....regardless of how long the deal is, if McBeane can get out after two years clean with no cap hit/dead cap, I think that is what he'll be looking for......capologist Overdorf would have to figure it out if possible..

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not advocating for signing him, but the Bengals are a very risk-averse organization. He never was competing with Dalton for the starting job. He would not have been named starter no matter how good he looked. Dalton is their starter and he’s “good enough” for Mike Brown just like Marvin is “good enough” 

This is a great point.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not advocating for signing him, but the Bengals are a very risk-averse organization. He never was competing with Dalton for the starting job. He would not have been named starter no matter how good he looked. Dalton is their starter and he’s “good enough” for Mike Brown just like Marvin is “good enough” 

Yep, the fact that Marvin Lewis didn’t bench Dalton to give him a chance really doesn’t concern me.  He’s incredibly conservative and risk averse.

6 hours ago, PolishDave said:

If Cleveland gets average or better QB play, even without upgrading the rest of their roster, they could already prove to be an above average team.   There are obviously more variables at play here.   But I think Cleveland is about to take one of the biggest steps in NFL history as far as going from bad to good.    Depends on how they handle the QB situation in my opinion.   If they actually get a guy with eliteness in him, they are going to rocket to the top of their division in 2 years maybe 1 year.   And everybody will be like WTF?

Of course, just my opinion and I could be 180 degrees wrong - as I have been before.

Your giving way to much credit to that roster and team. If they can become an average team with just some better QBing, that must mean the Bills would be SB favorites with an average starting QB.....

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Is this how you felt when we signed Taylor? Because McCarron has done way more in college and as a backup then Taylor did. He should've won that playoff game vs Pittsburgh, McCarron played a good game and gave his team a chance to win.

Not afraid to admit I was underwhelmed by the Taylor signing and he proved me wrong and won the job.  But again, we are not talking about something that happens all the time, to bank on AJ becoming a good starter by giving him a sizable contract seems too risky to me.  

I mean if AJ is so good, why isnt he pushing the underwhelming Dalton for the job?  Dalton is at best a QB that should be in that 15 to 20 range in the NFL.  If AJ cant push him or challenge to win the job, why should a team make a big bet on a guy who cant contend with a mediocre starter? 

56 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yeah, because that guy says so. ?

Call me skeptical, but when an article has a “want to write for us?” Link halfway through the article I tend to take it w a grain of salt (even with the giant font)...

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

AJ has a lot of upside and a high ceiling.

I agree,

For the right price McCarron would be an upgrade at the QB position (IMO) that may play well enough to compete longer term for the start in my humble opinion red.

Regardless of who Buffalo drafts...

...kid can play...

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Heitz said:

Yeah, because that guy says so. ?

Call me skeptical, but when an article has a “want to write for us?” Link halfway through the article I tend to take it w a grain of salt (even with the giant font)...

thank you.

4 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Why such big bold lettering?

he likes to be noticed.

13 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I don't get what the hype is with this guy, he can't even beat out noodle armed Dalton.

I thought that too at first.   Then I watched some of his game videos and realized he probably was/is pushing Dalton for the starting job.    Dalton has a lot more veteran experience.   AJ might be a better passer than Dalton though.    Won't know until he plays more.

I sense that right now (among non-starting quarterbacks) McCarron probably has the best chance to become a franchise QB for a team.    More so in fact than guys who have gotten more playing time than him like Glennon.   

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

I thought that too at first.   Then I watched some of his game videos and realized he probably was/is pushing Dalton for the starting job.    Dalton has a lot more veteran experience.   AJ might be a better passer than Dalton though.    Won't know until he plays more.

I sense that right now (among non-starting quarterbacks) McCarron probably has the best chance to become a franchise QB for a team.    More so in fact than guys who have gotten more playing time than him like Glennon.   

Of all the FA qbs, he's the one I would target, though my preference is that we trade up for one of Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield.

• Like (+1) 2

I would be very interested in mccarron  if they don’t plan to trade up for a top QB.

I believe McCarron will make his decision based on the team  that he feels is going to give him  the best chance to start. He will ask about their QB plans in the draft and it will be a factor. If he signs somewhere, I believe that team will consider him the starter. Things could always change but that will be his biggest determinant in the decision. He wants to be the guy, not a bridge. Jmo

• Like (+1) 1

Bucky Brooks thinks he could be a QB1.  Could be the guys for the Bills.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917349/article/patriots-qb-succession-plan-marcus-peters-trade-assessment

"Buffalo Bills: If the team moves on from Tyrod Taylor -- and it seems to me like they might be trying to create a trade market for him right now -- McCarron could be the right guy to replace him as the new QB1. He knows how to play winning football in a blue-collar fashion and his Alabama ties could make him an ideal fit in Brian Daboll's scheme. With Sean McDermott intent on rebuilding the winning culture in Buffalo, McCarron's pedigree could serve him well as the new starter in Buffalo."

Edited by PIZ

13 minutes ago, PIZ said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917349/article/patriots-qb-succession-plan-marcus-peters-trade-assessment

"Buffalo Bills: If the team moves on from Tyrod Taylor -- and it seems to me like they might be trying to create a trade market for him right now -- McCarron could be the right guy to replace him as the new QB1. He knows how to play winning football in a blue-collar fashion and his Alabama ties could make him an ideal fit in Brian Daboll's scheme. With Sean McDermott intent on rebuilding the winning culture in Buffalo, McCarron's pedigree could serve him well as the new starter in Buffalo."

? I need Bucky to explain what this means. Are we talking lunch pail level level grit? 

I find it a bit humorous with the "love and devotion" to the college system 

Buffalo Bills: If the team moves on from Tyrod Taylor -- and it seems to me like they might be trying to create a trade market for him right now -- McCarron could be the right guy to replace him as the new QB1. He knows how to play winning football in a blue-collar fashion and his Alabama ties could make him an ideal fit in Brian Daboll's scheme. With Sean McDermott intent on rebuilding the winning culture in Buffalo, McCarron's pedigree could serve him well as the new starter in Buffalo.

Seriously?   4 or 5 years ago, did Daboll or McDermott have anything to do with Alabama from 2010 to 2013 class when McCarron was there?  

10 hours ago, PIZ said:

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Here's another link that lists the Bills as a possibility.  This link mentions the Alabama connection by saying Daboll and Saban could discuss McCarron as a fit for Buffalo and Daboll's offense.  I think this is our guy.  He and McDermott will not doubt hit it off.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-aj-mccarron-landing-spots-browns-get-a-second-chance-at-quarterback/

3 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Here's another link that lists the Bills as a possibility.  This link mentions the Alabama connection by saying Daboll and Saban could discuss McCarron as a fit for Buffalo and Daboll's offense.  I think this is our guy.  He and McDermott will not doubt hit it off.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-aj-mccarron-landing-spots-browns-get-a-second-chance-at-quarterback/

I’m not opposed to mccarron at all... but why would he and McDermott hit it off? Mccarron turned off a lot of teams in the draft process with his attitude and propensity to blame everyone around him. 

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not opposed to mccarron at all... but why would he and McDermott hit it off? Mccarron turned off a lot of teams in the draft process with his attitude and propensity to blame everyone around him. 

Simple, it fits the narrative. 

Edited by Cripple Creek

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

like I said 

I find it a bit humorous with the "love and devotion" to the college 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

How many years ago did he interview poorly? His attitude and work ethic in the pros should be the guide to judging his character. I really don't know much about him because he hasn't played much. He is entering the market in a good situation for him. There are plenty of teams that need competent qb play, including the Bills. While saying that I don't see him selecting a team that is going to use a high draft picket for a qb of the future. 

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Obviously I have no way of knowing if this next statement is true of McCarron or that he and McD would be a good fit, but: sometimes in life, our greatest lesson in humility through failure provides the best chance at success.

It *might* be that he had that confidence and belief in himself that all the other teams would look at his resume and see what he sees....but, in essence they really didn't. Now, with some years on the bench, a little experience, and some time for introspection he might be a humbler and hungrier player than he's ever been. I have no insight as to whether he does or not, but if he does....THEN, it might be a good fit. 

What I find interesting is that Brooks discussed the Patriots QBs and how a few of the Rookies might fit withe Pats*, but by Brooks' own description, it also appears McCarron is a good fit. The Pats'* recent history suggests they might prefer that route over the Drafted one. 

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think McDermott and Beane are too smart to be swayed by that.  I think they will be able to look past that, and see this guy is just confident, and wants to be the guy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000350354/article/bengals-aj-mccarron-says-predraft-reports-hurt

what would be the market for mccarron? i think just zona and us right?  he's gonna wanna go to a team where he has a legit shot at being qb.  i doubt he's going to want to go to a team that has a high pick rookie coming waiting for his first pick to be thrown.