Cousins to Denver?

Kind of strange that these things are happening so quickly. You would think someone else could potentially swoop in and raise the stakes since anything announced is not official.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Von Miller is already talking it up. Good trade for both sides.

Trade? Interesting, does that mean they would have to sign him first since he's a free agent?

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I heard this is done deal as well as Mccarron to Browns. Not sure how the trade is going down with Denver but hearing it is a sign and trade and involves aqib Talib.

That makes a lot of sense, and partly explains why they felt comfortable with trading Fuller. I still wouldn't like the way it all went down if I were a Redskins fan but it's a little better now.

I don't get it.   Did the Redskins cut Cousins?   If not, he can't be talking to Denver; it violates his contract with Washington.   It's tampering.   And if they DID cut him, doesn't Denver talking to him violate the free agency rules?    What am I missing?

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Shaw66 said:

I don't get it.   Did the Redskins cut Cousins?   If not, he can't be talking to Denver; it violates his contract with Washington.   It's tampering.   And if they DID cut him, doesn't Denver talking to him violate the free agency rules?    What am I missing?

I'm guessing Cousins gets traded. I don't think you need to make public if permission was given to talk to other teams. 

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

If Wash allows his agent to talk to Denver it’s not tampering. No FA rules involved if it’s a trade 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I thought that since Cousins was under contract last season that in turn means he is not able to negotiate until March.  I thought working trades at this point was against the spirit of the rules.  Oh well, I might learn something new today.

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I'm guessing Cousins gets traded. I don't think you need to make public if permission was given to talk to other teams. 

Thanks.  Those are both good points.   But can he get traded if he isn't under contract for 2018?    He isn't under contract until he's franchised and he's signed.  

It may be true, but it seems kind of odd in this situation.  

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I wouldn't be surprised in this case if the Redskins told Cousins that if you don't want to be here then go to the market and get back to us so we can work out a compensation deal. 

Edited by JohnC

Just now, RochesterRob said:

I thought that since Cousins was under contract last season that in turn means he is not able to negotiate until March.  I thought working trades at this point was against the spirit of the rules.  Oh well, I might learn something new today.

See Yolo's post above.

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

He's not under contract with Washington.  He's an unrestricted free agent.  Washington hasn't tagged him either, so they have no rights.

I would also expect Cousins to do his search more deliberately than this.   Washington didn't tell him to look for a deal until they locked up Smith, at least I wouldn't think so, so that means Cousins made a decision really fast.   Maybe he knew all along.  

Just now, Luxy312 said:

He's not under contract with Washington.  He's an unrestricted free agent.  Washington hasn't tagged him either, so they have no rights.

He's not a UFA until the 2018 League year begins. Right now he's on Washington's roster just as the Alex Smith trade is unofficial. 

1 minute ago, Luxy312 said:

He is until 4pm March 6.

1 minute ago, Luxy312 said:

He's not an unrestricted free agent until the period ends for the Redskins to franchise him.   I think that's early March.   Until then, he is exclusively Washington property.   As others have said, he only can talk to other teams if the Redskins gave him permission, which may have happened.   However, it's interesting that if Washington gave him permission, say, a week ago, that that information didn't leak out.   

Denver is a good situation for a QB to go to.  Hard to blame Cousins.  Elway has proven to be good at filling the roster with talent and they have good WR's.

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

if yolo is right...talib to dc to pair with norman. nasty. cousins to denver with sanders and thomas...nasty. then denver can take that kid from fl state at cb to replace talib and their defense doesn't lose a beat. 

I think Elway has had enough of Talib and his chain stealing show so this would make sense to me.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

He's not an unrestricted free agent until the period ends for the Redskins to franchise him.   I think that's early March.   Until then, he is exclusively Washington property.   As others have said, he only can talk to other teams if the Redskins gave him permission, which may have happened.   However, it's interesting that if Washington gave him permission, say, a week ago, that that information didn't leak out.   

I don't disagree with all of that and the NFL is clearly not transparent in this regard.  Cousins has already said that he's testing free agency and doesn't plan to sign anything.  So IMO, the Alex Smith signing suggests what you're talking about.  At the end of the day, the Redskins could get as much as a 3rd round pick by letting Cousins talk to other teams, by means of a compensatory pick.  Washington gains nothing by just making him wait, other than pissing him off.

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks.  Those are both good points.   But can he get traded if he isn't under contract for 2018?    He isn't under contract until he's franchised and he's signed.  

It may be true, but it seems kind of odd in this situation.  

Redskins have him under contract until new  season starts...i think mid March. 

8 minutes ago, mattynh said:

The more teams that get out of the QB market give the Bills a better chance in the draft I guess.  I was hoping for Cousins or Smith (plus a guy in the draft).   

The Bills would still have to jump to 6th so Denver does not really play a role in this. It's too bad this can't be the Giants, Jets or the Browns making the trade....

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

Redskins have him under contract until new  season starts...i think mid March. 

But the trade deadline for the current season was back in November. 

So they can't trade him in this season, and unless they franchise him, he's a FA as soon as the new league year (and trades) are allowed March 14th.

But wait...I thought the Broncos had Chad Kelly to take them to the next level? Why would they screw up his progress by signing an overpaid washed up QB (Sarcasm off). I had heard that Kelly was supposed to have something, what is his next step? CFL, XFL?

4 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

I don't disagree with all of that and the NFL is clearly not transparent in this regard.  Cousins has already said that he's testing free agency and doesn't plan to sign anything.  So IMO, the Alex Smith signing suggests what you're talking about.  At the end of the day, the Redskins could get as much as a 3rd round pick by letting Cousins talk to other teams, by means of a compensatory pick.  Washington gains nothing by just making him wait, other than pissing him off.

That makes sense, and I'm not arguing, because I don't know, but if Denver gave them a compensatory pick in order to talk to Cousins early, wouldn't that trade have to be announced?    It's a deal - I let you talk to Cousins early, and if you sign him I get your X pick.   That's a trade, and trades have to be reported to the league. 

The reason this sounds fishy to me is that the rules are set up to keep the free agency playing field level.   To have all of this happening in secret, to have Denver just announce sometime "we had a deal with Washington to talk to Cousins early and we've reached a deal with Cousins and he's going to sign with us" doesn't seem at all how the free agent market is supposed to work.  

• Like (+1) 1