Should we throw Peterman on the trash heap for 1 bad outing?

Sky Diver

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm not comparing the two at all. Hence the reason I didn't mention Taylor's name once or make any inference. The point is that Taylor isn't a running quarterback, he's a quarterback who can run. He's likely not good enough a quarterback to be a franchise guy but he is an NFL starter, or at least the best backup in the league. The real point was, however, that having a QB that can also run is a great thing to have as long as he is a good thrower as well. You don't only need to be a dropback guy, which is what you were inferring. You want a QB to be able to be a QB from the pocket. That is true. However, a guy is even better if he can also run.

I have never stated that because Taylor can run it is a disqualifier. Of course it would be foolish to make that claim. And of course having a qb who can run and throw well would be ideal. No one can dispute that Taylor is a good runner. But what is evident for the past number of years is that he is not a good passer, and will never be. He has started for three full years with little progression to his game. He is what he is, and will always be. 

You and are in accord that Taylor is not a franchise qb, and will never be. On the other hand you may consider him an NFL starter but I don't. In my view Taylor could be a good backup and a change of pace qb. But I don't consider him to be a starting caliber qb, at least for a team that has some aspirations. 

In my opinion the best thing that could happen to Taylor is to go to another team and get a fresh start. Also, it is my opinion that the best thing for this franchise is to move on from him and get a fresh start at that position. Taylor is a high character guy who deserves to be in a better situation. It is not with Buffalo. 

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

You keep Peterman because he is young and has some potential. I've watched that Chargers game over 20 times on the DVR. I saw a rookie 5th rd QB that was pressured more than any QB that I can remember. Taylor should be sending Peterman a gift basket because against that D-Line and Lynns knowledge of Taylor I think Taylor would've had his worst outing yet. 

Don't you think there's a reason that Peterman was pressured more than any QB than you can remember?  Did that defensive strategy pay off?  Did the same strategy work for Jaguars (despite Peterman having 2 months of reflection after his first game?)

5 minutes ago, GG said:

Don't you think there's a reason that Peterman was pressured more than any QB than you can remember?  Did that defensive strategy pay off?  Did the same strategy work for Jaguars (despite Peterman having 2 months of reflection after his first game?)

He's got a rag arm and doesn't react well to pressure. What's not to like?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, GG said:

Yes the reason is our O-Line sucks at pass pro and KB got injured on the first play leaving Peterman with no O-Line and no offensive weapons. I'm not saying Peterman is on the level of even Alex Smith but he is young and has potential. I will be using a wait and see type approach with Peterman. He will have TC and pre season to prove his worth to the Bills coaching staff. 

I find it very hard to evaluate Peterman from the 3 crazy games he play in. I wish Taylor would've started in that Chargers game.

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Yes the reason is our O-Line sucks at pass pro and KB got injured on the first play leaving Peterman with no O-Line and no offensive weapons. I'm not saying Peterman is on the level of even Alex Smith but he is young and has potential. I will be using a wait and see type approach with Peterman. He will have TC and pre season to prove his worth to the Bills coaching staff. 

I find it very hard to evaluate Peterman from the 3 crazy games he play in. I wish Taylor would've started in that Chargers game.

No reason to make excuses for him. He was ATROCIOUS. It isn’t because he was thrust into a bad situation. He played with the same “weapons,” OL and coach as Taylor. That doesn’t mean that either played well but we know you wouldn’t say that Taylor struggled because of OL, coaching or lack of playmakers. Why give Peterman the benefit of the doubt but not Taylor? 

The reality is is there were big question marks about his physical skills coming out. That’s why he was the 171st pick!! The Bills even passed on him 4 times. This isn’t some guy that was a star. He was an extreme long shot and has already been given more of an opportunity than most 5th rounders. There’s no reason to pray that he suddenly gets accuracy and arm strength. His flaws coming out that made him pick 171 are the same flaws that made him a disaster on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Charles Clay was WIDE OPEN on that play. Probably woulda went 50 or 60 yards 

Holy balls... That is the equivalent of when Tyrod didn't look at Bobby Woods's way during the Baltimore opener two seasons ago which would've went for 6. 

It's dumb to throw him on the scrap heap.  Let's see if the game slows down for him in year 2.  It probably will.  He learned some rough lessons, he will be better prepared for when he should eat it and which throws to stay away from.  He threw some nice passes during the Indy snow game and probably would have led the team to a win.  Then he got hurt and that was that.  I'm not saying he should start, but I want to see if he can be a legit QB and not some punchline.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No reason to make excuses for him. He was ATROCIOUS. It isn’t because he was thrust into a bad situation. He played with the same “weapons,” OL and coach as Taylor. That doesn’t mean that either played well but we know you wouldn’t say that Taylor struggled because of OL, coaching or lack of playmakers. Why give Peterman the benefit of the doubt but not Taylor? 

The reality is is there were big question marks about his physical skills coming out. That’s why he was the 171st pick!! The Bills even passed on him 4 times. This isn’t some guy that was a star. He was an extreme long shot and has already been given more of an opportunity than most 5th rounders. There’s no reason to pray that he suddenly gets accuracy and arm strength. His flaws coming out that made him pick 171 are the same flaws that made him a disaster on the field. 

Honestly thank you for acknowledging this. People will pile on the Peterman for his 5 interception game then excuse Taylor and his 3 point games.

I think we can agree the two QBs are at very different stages of the game. One is a rookie and the other has been starting a few years. 

The anti Peterman crowd is most likely right. He most likely will not be anything special in the future. Does he get three years as a starter after learning behind the scenes for multiple years? Probably not. He was thrown right in. Then had to play back up even if he wasn't ready. 

I'll give you credit though because I've seen most anti Peterman people crap on him for one game and not say a peep and even defend Tyrod and his multiple embarrassments. It's one way or the other. They both suck or they should both get a grace year because the entire scheme sucked. 

There is a difference between the two QBs and regardless if anyone wants to admit it or not, we should all have much higher expectations of Tyrod then we should Peterman. Tyrod has had time behind the scenes and on the field and Peterman has not. So in my book Tyrod and his 3 point games is a way bigger embarrassment to the team than Peterman and his one 5 interception game. Except Peterman hasn't had repeat 5 interception games. Tyrod had had multiple 3 point games this season.

Who has a bigger chance to learn and grow from the game? A guy who's been several years in the league on and off the field or the guy who has been in it one year and not even a full game played.

*Drops mic

Edited by Lfod

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I've already seen Taylor play with 3 better than average WR's that all left and put up better numbers. I already know what Taylor is as a QB, I just wish Peterman had the chance to play with Woods, Watkins and Goodwin.

Their are big question about every rookie QB especially a 5th rd rookie that a HC thought could play better than Taylor. I'm not sure what the future holds for Peterman but Im pretty sure he will be in TC and Pre season fighting for a roster spot.

22 minutes ago, Lfod said:

There is a difference between the two QBs and regardless if anyone wants to admit it or not, we should all have much higher expectations of Tyrod then we should Peterman. Tyrod has had time behind the scenes and on the field and Peterman has not. So in my book Tyrod and his 3 point games is a way bigger embarrassment to the team than Peterman and his one 5 interception game. Except Peterman hasn't had repeat 5 interception games. Tyrod had had multiple 3 point games this season.

*Drops mic

So spotting the opponents 35 points via turnovers is better than scoring points (admittedly few points but still..) ?  o.O

Edited by prissythecat

5 hours ago, Wily Dog said:

The Nate haters love this. I just want to tell them ,you are off base in most of you diatribes against Nate and are blinded by your affection for Taylor. I used to be a Taylor guy too, but after three dismal years , gave up. I believe that Nate will be given a chance in camp to start. I also believe that McD/Beane will draft a QB, not sure where but I will trust their judgement. I will trust the Process, as  the Nate haters seem to be at odds with. This of course is IMO.

I tried to make it through this thread without reacting.  I failed.  I did make it almost through 2 pages though which is something....

Nope not blinded by affection for Taylor.  That was some of the worst quarterbacking I have ever witnessed.  Worse than Fitz at the end of a close game, worse than EJ in London, worse than 56 yards passing the week before.  Don't forget he fumbled multiple snaps as well.  He just isn't good.  There is no shame in not being good enough at QB to play in the league.  There aren't even 32 guys in the world that can do it effectively.  

Further he was a 5th round pick for crying out loud.  Did anyone care Cyril Richardson didn't get more than a couple of games?  How about Zebrie Sanders or Tank Carder?  Tank didn't even make it through preseason!  Johnny White at rb remember him?  Yeah me neither also a 5th rounder just 7 years ago.  The odds were stacked against him and it didn't work out.  

Most of the Peterman support seems to come from Tyrod bashers.  I keep saying it but you don't have to like Peterman because you don't like Taylor.  It is hilarious that "only 3 ints in that Chargers game were his fault" is not only used but oft repeated.  Like only throwing 3 ints in 1 half is any sort of good/ok.  Peterman doesn't belong in the league.  One of many millions of people that this statement is true for.  He got his shot and failed spectacularly.  In 5 years the only reason we will remember that he started a game is because of how atrocious it was.  Jeff Freaking Tuel played better in his start and never got another shot.  Keep him on the roster until someone better can take his place but that bar, to me, is incredibly low.

3 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

So spotting the opponents 35 points via turnovers is better than scoring points (admittedly few points but still..) ?  o.O

I explained my reasoning. One should be held to higher expectations because of time invested in the game.

If I practice Piano for 7 years and you for one I should be a lot better correct?

24 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I've already seen Taylor play with 3 better than average WR's that all left and put up better numbers. I already know what Taylor is as a QB, I just wish Peterman had the chance to play with Woods, Watkins and Goodwin.

Their are big question about every rookie QB especially a 5th rd rookie that a HC thought could play better than Taylor. I'm not sure what the future holds for Peterman but Im pretty sure he will be in TC and Pre season fighting for a roster spot.

I’d agree that he is here this offseason battling for a roster spot. I don’t expect him to make the team but it’s possible. I apologize if I misinterpreted your stance. I was under the impression that you believed he was a viable starting option moving forward. 

Just now, Lfod said:

I explained my reasoning. One should be held to higher expectations because of time invested in the game.

If I practice Piano for 7 years and you for one I should be a lot better correct?

If someone has no musical skills they can practice piano for ten years and still be terrible. 

28 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Honestly thank you for acknowledging this. People will pile on the Peterman for his 5 interception game then excuse Taylor and his 3 point games.

I think we can agree the two QBs are at very different stages of the game. One is a rookie and the other has been starting a few years. 

The anti Peterman crowd is most likely right. He most likely will not be anything special in the future. Does he get three years as a starter after learning behind the scenes for multiple years? Probably not. He was thrown right in. Then had to play back up even if he wasn't ready. 

I'll give you credit though because I've seen most anti Peterman people crap on him for one game and not say a peep and even defend Tyrod and his multiple embarrassments. It's one way or the other. They both suck or they should both get a grace year because the entire scheme sucked. 

Who has a bigger chance to learn and grow from the game? A guy who's been several years in the league on and off the field or the guy who has been in it one year and not even a full game played.

*Drops mic

1 minute ago, Lfod said:

First dropped mic doesn't fit here lol

To your second post what if the guy playing for 7 years can play heart and soul and chopsticks and the new guy sits down and promptly pukes all over the piano?  Tyrod has demonstrated he can be a serviceable qb in this league.  Peterman has done NOTHING to show he can.  Tyrod isn't a world beater by any stretch and I think we all want better from the position.  Peterman isn't that guy though.

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

Charles Clay was WIDE OPEN on that play. Probably woulda went 50 or 60 yards 

I see a 5th round rookie QB backed inside the 10 who has been shell shocked the whole 1st Qtr. He had barely 2sec to pass the ball in the 1st Qtr and locked onto the WR. I would watch the 1st Qtr again, that play was one of maybe 3 times where he had time to throw the football. That little timer in Petermans head after that 1st Qtr was going off at 1.8 seconds, and he was inside the 10. 

4 minutes ago, section122 said:

First dropped mic doesn't fit here lol

To your second post what if the guy playing for 7 years can play heart and soul and chopsticks and the new guy sits down and promptly pukes all over the piano?  Tyrod has demonstrated he can be a serviceable qb in this league.  Peterman has done NOTHING to show he can.  Tyrod isn't a world beater by any stretch and I think we all want better from the position.  Peterman isn't that guy though.

I don't know if I would call three 3 point games serviceable. If your defence can get you the ball back 13% of the time you punt it back to the opponent you shouldn't have 3 point games.

I guess we have different opinions on what a 7 year guy should be capable of. Especially when your defence was a turnover machine all year.

Edited by Lfod

41 minutes ago, Lfod said:

*Drops mic

Welp....He would have played two full games if he wasn’t  completing all his passes to the other team and diving head first into would-be tacklers....

now the mic drop is appropriate 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If someone has no musical skills they can practice piano for ten years and still be terrible. 

Well I can't argue that some people just have natural talents for things. I wouldn't doubt in some situations a naturally gifted person could become better in a shorter time then a person who practiced and just wasn't gonna be a Mozart.

I'm just saying I would have a lot higher expectations from a guy that says he's been practicing piano for 6 or 7 more years then a guy that just started yesterday.

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Welp....He would have played two full games if he wasn’t  completing all his passes to the other team and diving head first into would-be tacklers....

now the mic drop is appropriate 

I get what your saying but your not seeing my point. First I agreed that chances are he won't be special. I actually did say that. I just said people have strict expectations of him while defending a vet that puts up multiple 3 point games. Just saying. If your not a big Tyrod excuse maker then it wasn't meant for you if you just don't like Peterman. Also I gave the dude credit for acknowledging something others won't.

Edited by Lfod

Just now, Lfod said:

I don't know if I would call three 3 point games serviceable. If your defence can get you the ball back 13% of the time you punt it back to the opponent you shouldn't have 3 point games.

Is Russell Wilson serviceable? In 2016 he had a 3,5,and 6 point game.

Is everyone's favorite ginger Andy Dalton serviceable?  He had 3 7 point games and a 0 point game

I don't want to keep digging but there are many more examples.  After watching the offense score points in 2015 and 2016 with TT at the helm I put a lot of the failure on Dennison.  I also want to point out that even with how much worse the offense was at scoring points this year it still outscored teams qbed by Derek Carr, Eli Manning, and Andy Dalton among others.  So yes he is indeed serviceable and still a top 20ish qb in the league.  Regardless of how badly people hate him he is certainly a low end starter level qb in this league.  Peterman on the other hand is even a low end back up at this point.

3 minutes ago, section122 said:

Is Russell Wilson serviceable? In 2016 he had a 3,5,and 6 point game.

Is everyone's favorite ginger Andy Dalton serviceable?  He had 3 7 point games and a 0 point game

I don't want to keep digging but there are many more examples.  After watching the offense score points in 2015 and 2016 with TT at the helm I put a lot of the failure on Dennison.  I also want to point out that even with how much worse the offense was at scoring points this year it still outscored teams qbed by Derek Carr, Eli Manning, and Andy Dalton among others.  So yes he is indeed serviceable and still a top 20ish qb in the league.  Regardless of how badly people hate him he is certainly a low end starter level qb in this league.  Peterman on the other hand is even a low end back up at this point.

Then your biased. You will make every excuse to for Tyrod but then when it comes to Peterman it's all his fault and the rookie isn't allowed to have a bad start because Dennison only made Tyrod suck and not Peterman. Did all those guys put up average numbers when the defense they played for took the ball away from opponents 13% of the time they touched the ball offensively? 

Edited by Lfod

The odds are stacked against the kid, just like they are against every 5th round QB pick. With that said, no-one knows how he will turn out. The safe bet is he will wash out but he wouldn't be the 1st one to beat the odds to become a decent starter. I hope he proves people wrong, but I don't want the future of the Bills to rest on hope alone. They must find someone else too. 

8 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Then your biased. You will make every excuse to for Tyrod but then when it comes to Peterman it's all his fault and the rookie isn't allowed to have a good start because Dennison only made Tyrod suck and not Peterman.

I'm biased?  I absolutely prefer Tyrod to Peterman.  So I guess?

Let me put it to you this way:  I work in HR so I do a lot of hiring.  If I hire someone that comes into work and they do alright but I know I can get better I will look to work with them and improve their skills until I think they are maxed out (this is where we are at with Tyrod).  If someone comes in and is an absolute train wreck of an employee I move on from them.  Sometimes it takes a year to make that decision, sometimes 6 months, sometimes 1 month, sometime 1 week.  If Peterman came in and threw for 150 yards, 2 ints, and 0 tds I wouldn't feel this strongly.  He didn't.  He literally set a record for how bad his performance was.  He wasn't just kind of bad he was in the history of the nfl bad.  Why should the Bills invest any more in him?  

In my mind every one on the team should be there (including Peterman) until they prove that they don't belong or someone beats him out.  Keep Peterman and hell keep Taylor until we have a better option at QB.   Hopefully that is this year!

edit:  I see you added the part about defenses and yes Seattle's defense carried them to the Super Bowl twice and Wilson rode coat tails.  Now that he is the big money focus the team hasn't enjoyed the same success.  He won a playoff game throwing for 103 yards!!!

Edited by section122
Wilson piece

58 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Taylor's stats over two years whenever he had Watkins and Woods on the field : 63.6% comp. 8.25 YPA. 27 TD passes. 6 INTs

So you've "already seen" exactly what......? 

I get the impression what you think you saw isn't in the same universe as what actually happened......

39 minutes ago, section122 said:

I'm biased?  I absolutely prefer Tyrod to Peterman.  So I guess?

Let me put it to you this way:  I work in HR so I do a lot of hiring.  If I hire someone that comes into work and they do alright but I know I can get better I will look to work with them and improve their skills until I think they are maxed out (this is where we are at with Tyrod).  If someone comes in and is an absolute train wreck of an employee I move on from them.  Sometimes it takes a year to make that decision, sometimes 6 months, sometimes 1 month, sometime 1 week.  If Peterman came in and threw for 150 yards, 2 ints, and 0 tds I wouldn't feel this strongly.  He didn't.  He literally set a record for how bad his performance was.  He wasn't just kind of bad he was in the history of the nfl bad.  Why should the Bills invest any more in him?  

In my mind every one on the team should be there (including Peterman) until they prove that they don't belong or someone beats him out.  Keep Peterman and hell keep Taylor until we have a better option at QB.   Hopefully that is this year!

When I say what I do it sounds harsh. I respect Tyrod a lot. I've listed a few times specific things he's done on and off the field that I love. I would also agree that he is better then Nate Peterman. He should be better. It's a sad day for a guy if he's beat out by a first year rookie when he's had more time to strengthen his craft. When they pulled Nate Peterman I didn't question it. It was as brutal as you can get. 

So yes I have higher expectations of Tyrod then I ever would Nate Peterman. I would hold him more accountable. If Tyrod is the starting QB next year then I'll shut up with my criticism and root for him just like I did this year. My doubt was there but I have not voiced my opinion this strongly at all until the year was over. 

I think Tyrod can get better. I think Peterman could get better. I wouldn't just shut down any possibility. I think Tyrod made some mistakes and I think Peterman made mistakes. Ones a rookie and ones a solidified 3 year starter. 

Honestly I think if you took them both and blended them together you might have something. Either give me a Tyrod that takes more risks. I'll understand the interceptions if it comes with more passing TDs. Give me a Peterman who doesn't take so many risks. I'll deal with it looking a bit boring and managed without the crazy interceptions. 

I was at a point I would rather see Tyrod just force it man. Quit playing so safe because it isn't winning games. If your behind and the clocks ticking force that ball in there then I'll respect the outcome even if it's bad. I got tired of him dropping his posture and throwing it away. That's just giving up. Peterman sucked but I don't think you ever see his body language just say screw it I give up. Even after interception #4 he was still keeping his posture up. 

I saw the Jags read his body language. They knew Tyrod wasn't gonna make any risky moves so they went in for the kill and took him out of the game. Even they felt disrespected by the lack of effort and put dude on his head. They wanted the next man up because they were getting bored and so was I. 

Edited by Lfod

..well, the 5th ROUND PICK did have minis, OTA's, some pre-season work, ONE start and some mop up duty which is a TBD "career" by definition.....his bandwagon already has one wheel and it's leaking.....WELCOME NATE...better start packin'....hell there was even a thread that declared the "Peterman Era" over........the TBD "One & Done Gang" rolls out the pigeon stained red carpet.......go figure...............

8 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

First off, I don't think that starting him at an away game was the best decision, Plus, he got no help from the offensive line. On at least a couple of the interceptions he was hit as he was releasing the ball.

Peterman was clearly brought in because Taylor wasn't throwing the ball downfield. Consequently he overcompensated and should have the eaten the ball in a couple of cases where he tried to make plays.

I'll reserve judgment on Peterman until the Bills strengthen the offensive line.

I would not say "throw away" so much as "wait and see" and "double down"

There are a lot of things I like about Peterman.....and I dont hold his disaster 1st start against him he was a rookie.

Competition is always good.....and he needs to beat out competition that has a much higher pedigree in my opinion.

He is a bill....why NOT root for him?

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I see a 5th round rookie QB backed inside the 10 who has been shell shocked the whole 1st Qtr. He had barely 2sec to pass the ball in the 1st Qtr and locked onto the WR. I would watch the 1st Qtr again, that play was one of maybe 3 times where he had time to throw the football. That little timer in Petermans head after that 1st Qtr was going off at 1.8 seconds, and he was inside the 10. 

I'm not disagreeing with you. It was a rookie mistake. Sadly he even looked clays way, but I think it was more to try and confuse the defense. I think that was a designed play and the ball was always going that way 

1 minute ago, John from Hemet said:

I would not say "throw away" so much as "wait and see" and "double down"

There are a lot of things I like about Peterman.....and I dont hold his disaster 1st start against him he was a rookie.

Competition is always good.....and he needs to beat out competition that has a much higher pedigree in my opinion.

He is a bill....why NOT root for him?

...you obviously forgot where you are....by thread proclamation, the "Peterman ERA is over".......

e·ra
ˈirə,ˈerə/
noun
noun: era; plural noun: eras
  1. a long and distinct period of history with a particular feature or characteristic.
    "his death marked the end of an era"
    synonyms: epoch, age, period, phase, time, span, eon;
    generation
    "the Roosevelt era"