Chiefs trade Alex Smith to washington

Castellar

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Well, it's official: There are two outside veteran QBs I would considering bringing in. Luck, and Cousins. Each will costs a king's ransom.

I don't want any of the other scrubs.

Luck isn't going to be moved.  OTOH, their #3 overall pick could be in play.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The Chiefs did fleece the Redskins on this trade. Of course if Mahomes becomes the next big arm with poor mechanics QB to bust in the NFL, this trade won't matter. You could do a lot worse than Alex Smith. He had the highest passer rating in the league. I wouldn't expect him to repeat that but I definitely don't expect Mahomes to even come close.

We shall see.  They must really like Mahomes and Reid knows how to develop players at the QB position - but I think they are going to get Mahomes into rhythm with simple passing to the playmakers on the team.  I would imagine it is going to be a lot of horizontal and short passing with a heavy dose of run and RB/TE pass plays.

Just now, Ayjent said:

We shall see.  They must really like Mahomes and Reid knows how to develop players at the QB position - but I think they are going to get Mahomes into rhythm with simple passing to the playmakers on the team.  I would imagine it is going to be a lot of horizontal and short passing with a heavy dose of run and RB/TE pass plays.

No way!  With the big arm and play making abilities he possesses that's exactly what they will not do. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I think Denver and Arizona have the most realistic chances of landing Cousins with Denver being the front runner, Elway always seems to lure the big fish.

Of the teams needing a QB, only the Jets have more cap space.  And that’s before we release TT.  However, we probably have the most URFA too. 

If we can defer any of the Cousins money to next year, we’d be in great shape. 

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The Chiefs did fleece the Redskins on this trade. Of course if Mahomes becomes the next big arm with poor mechanics QB to bust in the NFL, this trade won't matter. You could do a lot worse than Alex Smith. He had the highest passer rating in the league. I wouldn't expect him to repeat that but I definitely don't expect Mahomes to even come close.

NFL Passer rating is a rediculously outmoded and outdated stat.  in 2000, Brian Greise was no.1 and Brett Favre was something like 21st.  If you look at the formula for NFL passer rating it is HEAVILY skewed toward completion percentage and interceptions.  Smith completes a TON of very high percentage short passes....and he will not throw a ball with a reciever that has even a defender nearby.  He is VERY VERY safe....passer rating rewards Smith for completing a three yard pass on 3rd and 8, and it doens't penelize him on 3rd and 8 when he jitters out of a clean pocket for a 2 yard gain...he didn't take a sack, he didn't throw a pick, he didn't have an incomplete pass...NFL passer rating rewards that.  So, yes, Smith was the "highest rated NFL passer" it's 100% true...and he earned it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

No way!  With the big arm and play making abilities he possesses that's exactly what they will not do. 

You ever watch Andy Reid's offenses, especially with new starters?  He has a big arm for sure, but I'm just telling you that Reid is going to put the training wheels on to make sure he can do the things they need him to do before opening things up.

6 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Well, it's official: There are two outside veteran QBs I would considering bringing in. Luck, and Cousins. Each will costs a king's ransom.

I don't want any of the other scrubs.

I don’t think McDaniels takes that job if Luck isn’t in the plans to be the starting QB

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Luck isn't going to be moved.  OTOH, their #3 overall pick could be in play.

I know. It's my little fantasy. At this point, I would rather use them as a potential trading partner if we really think we have our guy than any other vet QB.

I don't want us to get into a bidding war for Cousins, and even if we did I think we lose.

Just now, Virgil said:

I don’t think McDaniels takes that job if Luck isn’t in the plans to be the starting QB

tagged into response

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think that's true, I think Washington just didn't want to make him the highest paid player of all time which is what it will take. He wouldn't have turned that down.

With respect to Washington the Cousin debate is now a moot debate. He is essentially gone. Cousins maneuvered himself into a situation where the Redskins wouldn't/shouldn't have signed him at. That's the scenario that Cousins wanted, not the scenario that Washington wanted to be in. The next issue is where is he going to go? If he is simply looking for the money Cleveland is where he will go. My guess is he will go to Denver. 

Just now, matter2003 said:

New Orleans had historically bad defenses for much if that time, Washington hasn't.

The Saints had a good D this year, and voila! they are 11-5!

Washington was 27th in scoring defense this past year

In 2016 and 2015, they had winning records and were 19th and 17th in scoring defense

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

The Skins got fleeced!

This is what happens when you don't have a competent GM.  

There is no Kelce, Hill, Hunt or a good o-line in Washington.

Their OL is actually pretty good, but they had lots of injuries in '17with LT Trent Williams primarily and it was the same with TE Jordan Reed who is excellent. 

10 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

NFL Passer rating is a rediculously outmoded and outdated stat.  in 2000, Brian Greise was no.1 and Brett Favre was something like 21st.  If you look at the formula for NFL passer rating it is HEAVILY skewed toward completion percentage and interceptions.  Smith completes a TON of very high percentage short passes....and he will not throw a ball with a reciever that has even a defender nearby.  He is VERY VERY safe....passer rating rewards Smith for completing a three yard pass on 3rd and 8, and it doens't penelize him on 3rd and 8 when he jitters out of a clean pocket for a 2 yard gain...he didn't take a sack, he didn't throw a pick, he didn't have an incomplete pass...NFL passer rating rewards that.  So, yes, Smith was the "highest rated NFL passer" it's 100% true...and he earned it.

As I said elsewhere: "QBR? Be careful where you point that thing....it's loaded!"

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

With respect to Washington the Cousin debate is now a moot debate. He is essentially gone. Cousins maneuvered himself into a situation where the Redskins wouldn't/shouldn't have signed him at. That's the scenario that Cousins wanted, not the scenario that Washington wanted to be in. The next issue is where is he going to go? If he is simply looking for the money Cleveland is where he will go. My guess is he will go to Denver. 

Washington could have had Kirk for $20 million per the year Osweiller was signed by the Texans, they chose not.  The following year they could have signed him for $23 million per, but they tagged him instead.

They put themselves in this position, hoping he'd fail while on the tag and lower his value.  They gambled, they lost.

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Their OL is actually pretty good, but they had lots of injuries in '17with LT Trent Williams primarily and it was the same with TE Jordan Reed who is excellent. 

Jordan Reed is all but done.  He is continually injured and 1 concussion away from his career being over.

The injuries to the o-line is what I'm really getting at.  At one point this year they had 2 or 3 3rd stringers starting.

The skill positions in Washington are depleted, the defense is Swiss cheese. They just gave up Kendall Fuller and a 3rd AND had to re-up Smith.  Ouch.

7 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

The Saints had a good D this year, and voila! they are 11-5!

Washington was 27th in scoring defense this past year

In 2016 and 2015, they had winning records and were 19th and 17th in scoring defense

You have encapsulated the Great NFL QB Paradox beautifully:

Under the cap, how much can you pay a good to great QB whilst still being able to put a good-enough team around him?

The Redskins apparently have an answer to this question.  So they went with the Kmart Special over Sears: should be almost as good, but 3/4 of the price.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

Ok, which stat do you prefer? Here are his rankings from this season:

Passers rating: 1st

YPA: 2nd

YPG: 6th

ANY/A: 3rd

TD%: 6th

INT%: 2nd

DVOA: 10th

QB was not the problem on your team. If you expect Mahomes to step in and do better than that you're setting yourself up for major disappointment. If he is even a middle of the pack QB that would be a pleasant surprise, and I doubt your defense will improve enough to make up for any drop in QB production. Looking like a down year for the Chiefs to me. Mahomes is a long-term prospect so hopefully you guys will see him develop this year, that's the best you could realistically hope for.

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

QB was not the problem on your team. If you expect Mahomes to step in and do better than that you're setting yourself up for major disappointment. If he is even a middle of the pack QB that would be a pleasant surprise, and I doubt your defense will improve enough to make up for any drop in QB production. Looking like a down year for the Chiefs to me. Mahomes is a long-term prospect so hopefully you guys will see him develop this year, that's the best you could realistically hope for.

Why didn't you pick up the phone and advise Andy Reid that he's blowing it? :rolleyes:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You have encapsulated the Great NFL QB Paradox beautifully:

Under the cap, how much can you pay a good to great QB whilst still being able to put a good-enough team around him?

The Redskins apparently have an answer to this question.  So they went with the Kmart Special over Sears: should be almost as good, but 3/4 of the price.

Yeah. I think the Bills are in a good spot to build around Cousins. 5 picks in the first 3 rounds this year, then without doing any thorough research, good cap position starting in 2019. I believe it's a good fit. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Mr. Happy Days -

I am well aware of the stats you have posted.  I am not here to tell you Alex Smith is hot garbage...he isn't.  He is pretty good.  He will protect a football like it's his first born child and take very good care of it.  You aren't going to lose a game because Alex Smith makes a bad turnover at a bad time.  ....Now, that said, if you look at Smiths QBR, Passer rating or whatever measurable metrics you like...they all go down from the first quarter, on.  His measurables in the red zone are not as stellar as his overall metrics...BUT....that aside...where Alex Smith kills you, are things that stats don't tell you...things you can't read in a box score.  His pocket presence is AWFUL.  Smith has very very happy feet and will abandon good NFL pockets, take his eyes off of targets breaking open, run and occasionly makes some decent yardage, but most often he takes something and makes it nothing.....especially on third down.  If you watch it live, you'd say, wow, look at Smith extend the play!  Look at Smith go off schedule here and improvise!  He's not.  When he stays in a pocket, keeps his eyes downfield, goes over his targets, sets up, and throws..Alex Smith delivers a beautiful NFL pass....unfortunately, he doesn't do this often enough, and the higher the stakes are, the safer he is with the ball....It works well most of the time....but when it counts most, Smith and his sparkling stat sheet don't show up.  ....And look, the thing is, He does NOT elevate the roster around him..THEY elevate him.  

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Whay didn't you pick up the phone and advise Andy Reid that he's blowing it? :rolleyes:

With the Chiefs, Andy Reid has missed opportunities to draft Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, Dak Prescott, and Deshaun Watson. Pardon me if I don't see him as some QB genius.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

With the Chiefs, Andy Reid has missed opportunities to draft Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, Dak Prescott, and Deshaun Watson. Pardon me if I don't see him as some QB genius.

Watson?  You mean the guy you were killing until he started lighting up the NFL?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Let me ask our Chiefs visitor - is there an acceptance with the fanbase that while Mahomes is huge upside there is a risk you end up with worse QB play in 2018 and a 7-9 type record? Is the position that "okay that could happen but look we think Mahomes could end up being a regular Superbowl QB and if we have to suffer a non playoff year in 2018 while he learns how to face NFL defenses week in week out then it is worth the cost?"

Or do you all presume he will immediately outplay Alex Smith in 2018?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

They are an option.  

http://www.azcardinals.com/roster/player-roster.html

their roster has an avg age of 28.   Beyond Larry Fitzgerald, who do they have?   I don't think many stars (I could be very wrong) 

Rams, Seahawks, and 49ers.    If Garoppolo pans out I see 3rd or 4th in the division  

If this were true, why did that trade two 1000 yard receivers and their aging but top RB last season? 

seriously? i'm not trying to be a jerk but did you even look at the link you just provided? lol. they have stars at some key spots. david Johnson is phenomenal. he led the nfl in scrimmage yds in 16. chandler jones just led the nfl in sacks with 17. tyrann matheiu is a star. Patrick Peterson is arguably the best corner in the nfl.... their defense was 6th in the nfl last year in total yards. they just went 8-8 while missing arguably the best rb in the nfl for the whole season and their starting qb for 9 games. they are completely set up to win. they finished the season 5-4 with Stanton and gabber. 

I just pray that wherever he goes it creates a trade opening for the bills in the draft.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Uhh, they didn't? Both were free agents that got payed more than what the Redskins thought they were worth.  Same thing they have decided with Cousins...he wants to get paod more than he is worth...dont understand why people cant understand this...you don't pay for a BMW i7 and then get a Toyota Camry

I live in the DC area.  All you hear is Cousins talk.   

• Snyder is an asshat who doesn't know what he's doing.   
  • The HC isn't sold on Cousins and since Shanny's left he's plainly showed it.  

And now we see Mr Smith Goes to Washington 

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

23 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Watson?  You mean the guy you were killing until he started lighting up the NFL?

Yup. Watson hasn't proved he's going to be a long term starter. But he's proved a lot more than Mahomes. The QB guru missed that one. I know why he went after Mahomes. NFL executives and coaches still think you can take a cannon arm and fix all the other issues with coaching. It hasn't happened yet bit maybe Mahomes will be the first.

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

Remember this post when cousins is throwing 4000 yards and rolling into the playoffs next year with Denver/az/Buffalo, while Smith is struggling to win 7 games in Washington.

Remember this post when Smith is winning 11 or 12 games with the Redskins well  cousins flops at mile high. Winning is the ultimate stat!

18 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

seriously? i'm not trying to be a jerk but did you even look at the link you just provided? lol. they have stars at some key spots. david Johnson is phenomenal. he led the nfl in scrimmage yds in 16. chandler jones just led the nfl in sacks with 17. tyrann matheiu is a star. Patrick Peterson is arguably the best corner in the nfl.... their defense was 6th in the nfl last year in total yards. they just went 8-8 while missing arguably the best rb in the nfl for the whole season and their starting qb for 9 games. they are completely set up to win. they finished the season 5-4 with Stanton and gabber. 

I just pray that wherever he goes it creates a trade opening for the bills in the draft.

I said I was not familiar with the names.   thanks for the info 

11 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Vikings would be dirty with Cousins 

Thielen, Diggs, and Rudolph and a better D in purple 

But what you are forgetting is how much it will cost the Vikings to sign Cousins...oh wait, you didn't forget that at all.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Vikings:  $56,000,000

Jets:  $79,000,000

Bills:  $31,000,000 (maybe a wash when you get rid of TT/Woods cap hit from retirement).  

I respect a lot of you guys around here.

That said, JEEPERS DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS GOING TO COST TO SIGN THIS GUY IN BUFFALO?!

It is probably going to be a $125 million plus deal, with probably $90,000,000 or so guaranteed.  He is a good QB.  However, are you so sure he as THAT good to put this team's cap in jeopardy for years to come at this stage of the Bills' development?

I like Cousins, but I liked Smith as a more reasonable option (not, however, for the Bills with what Washington ended up with on a 4 year extension).  I wouldn't pay that money for Cousins, and it is unlikely that the Bills could even afford him in 2018.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1