P. Brown tied for NFL lead in Tackles

TPS

If he stays on the team, I hope they move him to SLB. He is to slow to play MLB IMO. I would prefer him to not be on the team period, but I realize he probably will be back. Tackles don’t always tell the whole story. I just think the guy is noticeably slow. He’s physical and a good tackler, I appreciate that. He would have been a good LB 25 years ago before teams spread it out. Move him to SLB or another team please. But congratulations I suppose. On the tackle stat.

He was my preseason "Breakout" player. And honestly, I was kind of disappointed that he didnt have a stronger year.

I feel like he was neither good or bad this year, with flashes on both sides. 

He's a player that should be retained and used situationally or as first LB off the bench. 

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He is adequate.   Had some bad plays yesterday.   I think McD wants a dominant MLB.

True, but he has been on the field more than any other Bills player (something crazy like 99 percent of plays). He’s not great but he understands the system at this point. Getting rid of him strikes me as more subtraction without any addition. The guy also seems injury proof, which is rare for a linebacker.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Link?

Saw the stats on espn.com

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

True, but he has been on the field more than any other Bills player (something crazy like 99 percent of plays). He’s not great but he understands the system at this point. Getting rid of him strikes me as more subtraction without any addition. The guy also seems injury proof, which is rare for a linebacker.

Yes, my main point, what does McD think? Will they try to sign him? I also could see him at SAM with an upgrade at the mike.

• Like (+1) 1

I middle LB should have the lead in total tackles.  A lot in play, like what is the draft class of LBs and free agents looking like?

I see Alexander gone unless the have a special teams position for him.  Humber at the right price is serviceable or great depth.  

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If he stays on the team, I hope they move him to SLB. He is to slow to play MLB IMO. I would prefer him to not be on the team period, but I realize he probably will be back. Tackles don’t always tell the whole story. I just think the guy is noticeably slow. He’s physical and a good tackler, I appreciate that. He would have been a good LB 25 years ago before teams spread it out. Move him to SLB or another team please. But congratulations I suppose. On the tackle stat.

Its posts like this that drive me insane..

MLB is typically the slowest LB on the field...so you want to move him to a position where he has more coverage responsibilities against TE's???  How does this make any sense?

12 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Its posts like this that drive me insane..

MLB is typically the slowest LB on the field...so you want to move him to a position where he has more coverage responsibilities against TE's???  How does this make any sense?

Slower then SLB? Which year is it? 1975? Watch the game. MLB is supposed to run. Both to cut off run lanes and to cover the middle of the field on crossing routes. They also cover the RB out of the backfield a lot. My post drives you insane? What you said is completely wrong. Alexander is our SLB...you think MLB is intended to be the slowest on the field? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Preston Brown is way too slow to play MLB. Sean will be searching for his Keuchly. Humber and Alexander will be gone too.  Only Milano stays.

Good post, and I don’t disagree. But Brown can play a role in tnis defense. He literally played on 99 percent of the plays this year.

Edited by dave mcbride

13 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Slower then SLB? Which year is it? 1975? Watch the game. MLB is supposed to run. Both to cut off run lanes and to cover the middle of the field on crossing routes. They also cover the RB out of the backfield a lot. My post drives you insane? What you said is completely wrong. Alexander is our SLB...you think MLB is intended to be the slowest on the field? 

No its 2018. And I can back up what I said via one of the most comprehensive scouting combine databases there is ANYWHERE, since I along with a few others, compiled it using about 20 different sources online pieced together for a football game I am coding, along with numerous breakdowns by positions via various metrics for almost 6,700 players, ranging all the way back to the first year of the combine.  I have data broken down so many ways it would make your head spin...and it all says that on average there is slightly more than a tenth of a second gap(.12 seconds to be concise---4.76 to 4.64 average 40 time) between Inside LB's and Outside LB's in their 40 times.

Where did you say your information comes from? Becasue I'm quite sure it's nowhere near as complete as mine... Or are you just throwing your best guess out there?

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he play pretty well for Schwartz's defense when we had Nigel Bradham at MLB?

13 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

No its 2018. And I can back up what I said via one of the most comprehensive scouting combine databases there is ANYWHERE, since I along with a few others, compiled it using about 20 different sources online pieced together for a football game I am coding, along with numerous breakdowns by positions via various metrics for almost 6,700 players, ranging all the way back to the first year of the combine.  I have data broken down so many ways it would make your head spin...and it all says that on average there is slightly more than a tenth of a second gap(.12 seconds to be concise---4.76 to 4.64 average 40 time) between Inside LB's and Outside LB's in their 40 times.

Where did you say your information comes from? Becasue I'm quite sure it's nowhere near as complete as mine... Or are you just throwing your best guess out there?

Usually the SLB is a physical LB that can come up and set an edge as long as hang with a TE. The RB is normally left to the MLB. In most (non Tolbert) cases, I would venture to say a RB is faster and harder to cover then a TE. Also if this is the case and of your 3 LBs, the MLB should be the slowest, why would we have Alexander playing SLB? Brown is slow but he’s not slower then Alexander. I personally don’t want either of the guys. I would rather have 3 LBs that can run. I just disagree with the assessment that in most 4-3 defenses a MLB should be the slowest. In my opinion, that’s rarely the case. Usually I feel the MLB is the most complete LB on the field. Run, cover and stop the run.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Usually the SLB is a physical LB that can come up and set an edge as long as hang with a TE. The RB is normally left to the MLB. In most (non Tolbert) cases, I would venture to say a RB is faster and harder to cover then a TE. Also if this is the case and of your 3 LBs, the MLB should be the slowest, why would we have Alexander playing SLB? Brown is slow but he’s not slower then Alexander. I personally don’t want either of the guys. I would rather have 3 LBs that can run. I just disagree with the assessment that in most 4-3 defenses a MLB should be the slowest. In my opinion, that’s rarely the case. Usually I feel the MLB is the most complete LB on the field. Run, cover and stop the run.

I don' agree with this.  I would say the MLB is the player with the BEST INSTINCTS on the field, which makes him LOOK like he is quicker and faster than he actually is because he is moving in the right direction quicker than most of the other players, meaning there are fewer missteps in the wrong direction, less split second hesitation due to trying to diagnose the play and them getting to places quicker due to this.  The MLB is typically the heaviest of the LB's since he is the one taking on the linemen the most due to his responsibilities as the key inside run stopper of the LB's---therefore it makes no sense that he would also be the fastest. Now in a 3-4, the Jack backer COULD be this player while the TED backer would be prototypical bigger run stuffer LB...but in a 4-3 there is no 2nd inside LB.  

And in a lot of schemes the Will backer has responsibility for the RB, not the Mike, at least if its man to man coverage and not zone.

Now, an exception to this might be the MLB in a Tampa 2 scheme(Derrick Brooks type MLB), but this is the exception not the rule.  The reason for this is that they have deep middle coverage responsibility quite often and has to be abe to get back and then run up and make play as well...but this doesn't really apply since McDermott does not play a Tampa 2 scheme.

That being said, Brown is definitely too slow, but its not because of him being an MLB, its just that a 4.86 40 time isn't going to cut it anywhere other than a backup run blocking TE, a QB, a FB or a fast OL these days in the NFL.

Edited by matter2003

We get ran on straight up the middle consistently.   MLB and DT will be addressed in the off season.  I'd like to see NaVorro Bowman in a Bills uniform next year.  He QB's the front 7 and it's something desperately needed by this defense, IMO.

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Preston Brown is way too slow to play MLB. Sean will be searching for his Keuchly. Humber and Alexander will be gone too.  Only Milano stays.

Roquan Smith is that Keuchly type player. 

He could easily lead this defense for the next decade. 

I have a feeling we will be going heavy at DL and LB in draft. And we need it. 

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He is adequate.   Had some bad plays yesterday.   I think McD wants a dominant MLB.

My thoughts exactly. We need our Luke Kuechly. Someone who is truly dominant at the MLB position.

Preston Brown is an average player. I've always respected him, but we can do better.

5 hours ago, bobobonators said:

I have a feeling we will be going heavy at DL and LB in draft. And we need it. 

We absolutely need it. That's the biggest area of need on our team. Our run defense is atrocious, and our pass coverage at linebacker is also sorely lacking, which is why teams can dink and dunk us with short and intermediate throws all day. I'd still trade the farm to go get an elite QB, though.

And we still have the Oline to rebuild, and McCoy won't be playing for too much longer. It's going to take a couple more years of building, I think.