Deandre Coleman is the Reason for Our Season ~ He Shut The Run Game Down

Hi Folks,

I was watching the game on all 22 because I had to cancel by midnight tonight or pay for the whole season.

I got stuck on just a few plays trying to figure them out. I will make a post on those later. But then see I was running out of time so I just started to let it run and watch it instead of rewinding and rewinding like I had been doing.

This is a play where they sacked Smith. I saw a Bills player somehow just run right through the Chiefs line. Like not through a hole in the line, but seemingly right through it. I watched closer and then, I saw this image go by. I says to myself, what the heck was that? Did I see that right? How come all those people are there but I only see one Bill? 

Here you can see what I saw and wondered about.

VadEo9J.jpg

There is another Bill in there you can see his legs sticking out of the bottom of the pile.. So, 2 Bills, 4 Chiefs, and one football in that picture.

Now I will show you what happened. If I sound a little childish, inexperienced, and excited, it is because I have never seen anything like this before.

Here is the beginning of the play. The slippery Bill 55 Hughes, (black arrow) is on the left. Deandre Coleman (blue arrow) is the Bill with two linemen on him.

6eaVpRm.jpg

Now Hughes (trying to go along the yellow line)has two guys on him. One of Coleman's men has shifted over to help with Hughes.

TEuuHvH.jpg

Now Coleman (7 Star Turbocharged Superman Arrow) hold his man off with one arm, slides over, and attacks all 3 of the Chiefs linemen.

Attacks all 3. There are only 2 Bills players here.  Only Hughes trying to get away, and Coleman are in this picture.

sbE9OzP.jpg

Now Hughes has got free and is after Smith. Smith will make a break for the big hole in front of him. Deandre Coleman sprung Hughes, but is now well blocked out of the  way.

2co4WRB.jpg

Now Coleman did make a mistake here. He hasn't noticed that he is blocked. He just pushes his man back towards the hash mark, making the hole smaller, and Hughes got hold of Smith but was unable to tackle him.

fO3O5UM.jpg

Three Chiefs lineman are pushing Hughes who is behind Smith, and Smith  forward, in the middle of that pile there. Coleman is pushing back. 

Zl5Oe60.jpg

Here is the side view.

h9MOVn4.jpg

And, the Chiefs lost the contest!

VadEo9J.jpg

I'm no football expert, but I was so, encouraged and stoked and  proud and excited because I personally have never seen anything like that before in my life.

I watched as many of our defensive snaps as I could after that, just focused on the line.

Here is what I saw. They were able to run towards the middle on us towards the start of the game.

The Bills then rotated Coleman in there more often.  They were then unable to run up the middle on us. 
Eventually the Chiefs gave up trying when he was in.

On passing downs the Bills would put 92 Washington in. He can penetrate for pass rishing or getting after the running back sometimes.. I did not see Coleman penetrate so I think that is his limitation at least at this time.

On running downs they were just flat unable to run in the middle with Coleman in. They got nothing.

You can double team this guy and he still doesn't budge.

Last week I had looked at the Chargers game and I wrote that the Chargers could push everyone but Kyle Williams around,. They could push Kyle Williams with two players, but that makes it harder to run using 2 guys to move one man.

This guy Coleman, they could not push him with two.

To me I think it is a sure thing that our being gashed in the running game just stopped, just went from record setting yardage to being shut down, was Deandre Coleman.

So there you go.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 8

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Well...he is 341 lbs...those 50 lbs give him a lot more strength than Washington at 295....

Yes of course. 

I think though, that if every 341 pound lineman could block like he does, we would not have had record setting yardage racked up against us the 3 weeks prior.

I think he is a VERY good blocking 341 pound man. So it is more his blocking ability I am taking notice of

17 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Yes of course. 

I think though, that if every 341 pound lineman could block like he does, we would not have had record setting yardage racked up against us the 3 weeks prior.

I think he is a VERY good blocking 341 pound man. So it is more his blocking ability I am taking notice of

Well he is the only 340 pound defensive lineman on the team.

they don't grow them like that frequently 

Thats some good work by the OP.   I love posts with images.  Switching out Worthy for Coleman was one of those things that you'd think would have happened earlier as soon as Dareus was let go, instead of taking two more games of awful run defense to get Coleman up and running.   Glad we have him, and I'm sure the rest of the defense is too.   

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah since Dareus left he is...which coincides with that 3 game stretch...Coleman was there the previous game too but it seemed the entire defense played very smart fundamental football against KC...

3 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Hi Folks,

I was watching the game on all 22 because I had to cancel by midnight tonight or pay for the whole season.

I got stuck on just a few plays trying to figure them out. I will make a post on those later. But then see I was running out of time so I just started to let it run and watch it instead of rewinding and rewinding like I had been doing.

This is a play where they sacked Smith. I saw a Bills player somehow just run right through the Chiefs line. Like not through a hole in the line, but seemingly right through it. I watched closer and then, I saw this image go by. I says to myself, what the heck was that? Did I see that right? How come all those people are there but I only see one Bill? 

Here you can see what I saw and wondered about.

VadEo9J.jpg

There is another Bill in there you can see his legs sticking out of the bottom of the pile.. So, 2 Bills, 4 Chiefs, and one football in that picture.

Now I will show you what happened. If I sound a little childish, inexperienced, and excited, it is because I have never seen anything like this before.

Here is the beginning of the play. The slippery Bill 55 Hughes, (black arrow) is on the left. Deandre Coleman (blue arrow) is the Bill with two linemen on him.

6eaVpRm.jpg

Now Hughes (trying to go along the yellow line)has two guys on him. One of Coleman's men has shifted over to help with Hughes.

TEuuHvH.jpg

Now Coleman (7 Star Turbocharged Superman Arrow) hold his man off with one arm, slides over, and attacks all 3 of the Chiefs linemen.

Attacks all 3. There are only 2 Bills players here.  Only Hughes trying to get away, and Coleman are in this picture.

sbE9OzP.jpg

Now Hughes has got free and is after Smith. Smith will make a break for the big hole in front of him. Deandre Coleman sprung Hughes, but is now well blocked out of the  way.

2co4WRB.jpg

Now Coleman did make a mistake here. He hasn't noticed that he is blocked. He just pushes his man back towards the hash mark, making the hole smaller, and Hughes got hold of Smith but was unable to tackle him.

fO3O5UM.jpg

Three Chiefs lineman are pushing Hughes who is behind Smith, and Smith  forward, in the middle of that pile there. Coleman is pushing back. 

Zl5Oe60.jpg

Here is the side view.

h9MOVn4.jpg

And, the Chiefs lost the contest!

VadEo9J.jpg

I'm no football expert, but I was so, encouraged and stoked and  proud and excited because I personally have never seen anything like that before in my life.

I watched as many of our defensive snaps as I could after that, just focused on the line.

Here is what I saw. They were able to run towards the middle on us towards the start of the game.

The Bills then rotated Coleman in there more often.  They were then unable to run up the middle on us. 
Eventually the Chiefs gave up trying when he was in.

On passing downs the Bills would put 92 Washington in. He can penetrate for pass rishing or getting after the running back sometimes.. I did not see Coleman penetrate so I think that is his limitation at least at this time.

On running downs they were just flat unable to run in the middle with Coleman in. They got nothing.

You can double team this guy and he still doesn't budge.

Last week I had looked at the Chargers game and I wrote that the Chargers could push everyone but Kyle Williams around,. They could push Kyle Williams with two players, but that makes it harder to run using 2 guys to move one man.

This guy Coleman, they could not push him with two.

To me I think it is a sure thing that our being gashed in the running game just stopped, just went from record setting yardage to being shut down, was Deandre Coleman.

So there you go.

I was curious as to what they did because I knew they made some changes that had to be made after the Marcy trade.

Glad they found an answer.

Thanks BadLands

( Dang! 6'5" 341, didn't realize he was that big, this is exactly what I have been saying we needed)

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

There are a few in the draft, I think we should have 3 or at least 2 guys like this on the roster. 

The big reason we looked SO BAD during the losing streak is we didn't have a big body occupying blockers that free up pass rushers to get pressure thereby helping the secondary and  LBs to make plays.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

There are a few in the draft, I think we should have 3 or at least 2 guys like this is on the roster. 

The big reason we looked SO BAD during the losing streak is we didn't have a big body occupying blockers that free up pass rushers to get pressure thereby helping the secondary and letting LBs make plays.

Thats what happens when you trade an all pro DT.

sure they make 340 pound guys. But a lot of them can't play at the nfl level

when you get a guy like Dareus who is the complete 340 pound package he goes top 5.

every draft has a few big bodied run stuffers rounds 2-5 but it's just that, a few

so we better pounce early because we still need 2 more DTs

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Thats what happens when you trade an all pro DT.

sure they make 340 pound guys. But a lot of them can't play at the nfl level

when you get a guy like Dareus who is the complete 340 pound package he goes top 5.

every draft has a few big bodied run stuffers rounds 2-5 but it's just that, a few

so we better pounce early because we still need 2 more DTs

Marcy was a stud WHEN he wanted to play but that was less and less over the years. It was clear to see that he was checked out this year and ended up in the doghouse before being traded.

I think, Vita Vea, Greg Gaines and Olive Sagapolu would do the trick.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Marcy was a stud WHEN he wanted to play but that was less and les over the years. It was clear to see he was checked out this an ended up in the doghouse before being traded.

People can say he checked out all they want but it's no coincidence we couldn't stop a nosebleed for 3 weeks after he was traded 

he was playing through an injury and still our best run stuffer

people get so irritated because he doesn't put up 10 sacks a year and they say he's checked out ... he is playing DT. The most selfless position on defense 

he was the only player we had that commanded a double team every time he stepped out. It's suicide to block Dareus with 1 man. He's a silverback

Dareus has more stats in 6.5 years than most DTs in their career 

he almost has as many sacks as Kyle Williams in 6.5 years as Williams has in 11.5

i understand frustration that he's not warren sapp every week but he is a legit stud with very few in game flaws

and our defense would be better with him

I don't care about sacks from that position and we definitely missed him and getting a 6th for him was outrageous. However this year is about finding the guys who buy in, he did not and therefore would be a detriment in the long run, so I'm glad he is gone. Nothing more obnoxious than a guy with supreme talent who wastes it.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I don't care about sacks from that position and we definitely missed him and getting a 6th for him was outrageous. However this year is about finding the guys who buy in, he did not and therefore would be a detriment in the long run, so I'm glad he is gone. Nothing more obnoxious than a guy with supreme talent who wastes it.

Wasting surpreme talent would be like Josh Gordon who hasn't kept it together in years 

By all accounts Dareus will be a long term Productive NFL DT.  For 10+ years 

i wouldn't say wasted.. maybe he didn't become a HoF but he's still a force 

he became our last all pro for us and loved buffalo. I wish him much more success than other guys who have been shipped out over the years 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Wasting surpreme talent would be like Josh Gordon who hasn't kept it together in years 

By all accounts Dareus will be a long term Productive NFL DT.  For 10+ years 

i wouldn't say wasted.. maybe he didn't become a HoF but he's still a force 

he became our last all pro for us and loved buffalo. I wish him much more success than other guys who have been shipped out over the years 

I doubt ten years. He is like Mario Williams who relied on his talent but now is out of the League because of his lack of effort .

5 hours ago, billspro said:

It's nice to have a run stuffing DT that doesn't cost us more than 10mil per year. Coleman has done a fantastic job. Our run defence will be fine with him in the lineup the rest of the year.

Exactly.  You need to make low cost finds like this through your roster in 3-7 key positions to make the playoffs.   

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

People can say he checked out all they want but it's no coincidence we couldn't stop a nosebleed for 3 weeks after he was traded 

he was playing through an injury and still our best run stuffer

people get so irritated because he doesn't put up 10 sacks a year and they say he's checked out ... he is playing DT. The most selfless position on defense 

he was the only player we had that commanded a double team every time he stepped out. It's suicide to block Dareus with 1 man. He's a silverback

Dareus has more stats in 6.5 years than most DTs in their career 

he almost has as many sacks as Kyle Williams in 6.5 years as Williams has in 11.5

i understand frustration that he's not warren sapp every week but he is a legit stud with very few in game flaws

and our defense would be better with him

I don't agree with your take on Dareus, but to each his own....however, we need to point out a HUUUUUGE mistake factually regarding Kyle Williams:

So far he has 41.5 sacks....he had 10.5 sacks in ONE year, the great year with Schwartz. Let's clear that up and edit please. Doing a disservice to the man who to me should go on Buffalo's Wall of Fame someday.

I'd love for this thread to be accurate.

But Kansas City has been struggling in pretty much every way possible over the past 5-games.  They a lost a similarly played game to the Giants one week ago...

This week vs the PATs will tell us everything about where the Bills are weak.

1 hour ago, Jobot said:

I'd love for this thread to be accurate.

But Kansas City has been struggling in pretty much every way possible over the past 5-games.  They a lost a similarly played game to the Giants one week ago...

This week vs the PATs will tell us everything about where the Bills are weak.

We have a Super Coleman doubter.

Mods, we have a Super Coleman doubter who has found their way into the thread here. Can fine folks you handle the situation please? Thank you.

• Haha (+1) 1