The DEFENSE has simply quit - my question is WHY?

Socal-805

It is called film study. New coaches with new schemes can do good for a few weeks (along with turnovers)

but after enough study, opposing people can tear apart the D, and so called geniuses game plans.

Then, once the defense knows how bad they are, they will not put out 100%. They are under contract

and want to protect their bodies, because they see trying won't work. That part is called self preservation.

It's a combination of depth, the Dareus trade, being on the field ALL THE TIME since the offense is pathetic, and injuries.

The Saints game for instance, they were on the field for 42 minutes compared to our offense being on the field for 18. And yes, the defense couldn't stop the run, but people forget they made a couple early stops including a turnover, but were immediately sent right back on the field. Every single time.

Our secondary has been hurt, Williams is old, Dareus ate up space even when he wasn't visible on the box stats, and now the Jags D has gone from really good to absolutely dominant. Think about it as if you were out there busting your ass for 5 minutes getting pounded, only to pour everything you got into making that last stop forcing a FG. Then as you're just starting to catch your breath, you're already being sent right back out there to do it all over. 

You can only do that so many times while seeing the score getting more and more out of reach as the offense fails to even get a 1st down. The margin for error on this team is extremely thin. Other teams can give up a TD or 2 and still believe they have a chance. Our team isn't able to overcome deficits of almost any kind, except on the rarest of occasion. Tyrod is 3-19 all time in games we go down by even a single point in the 4th quarter...so imagine being a defender down by 17 points at the start of the half, and knowing  you're going to spend 85% of the remainder of the game back on the field and be asked to keep it close.

3 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

The Bills were 5-2 with one the top defenses in the league: # 1 points/game I believe.  Then the bottom drops out.

Why would the defense give up like that?  Tired of carrying the Tyrod led offense, protesting the Dareus trade?  Rejecting the Bills coaching?

What have they given up rushing yards, like 600-700 yards?  Why when the team had a realistic chance of making the playoffs?  Or so we thought.

I just don't understand what happened...

FYI:  I am not a new member, but could not login to the new site, so

Member since 2001?

It has nothing to do with quitting it has to do with simply not having enough talent. Especially after trading Dareus...say what you want but he required a constant double team so his presence alone let the team know where the double team was going and who it would be on.

Now teams can pick and choose who to double team on any given play or leave a guy single blocked and use the extra lineman to block a linebacker who used to be running free. Its pretty cut and dry in my view...the Bills were playing well on D until the moment they moved Dareus. Then they weren't.  They were playing well against the run and forcing teams into 3rd and longs. Now that rarely happens.

In addition teams got more tape on what the Bills were doing and devised ways to counteract that...Bills have had no answer so far to whatever that is...seemingly everything they are doing against us is working so it doesn't appear like it's one thing or another.  

When you get physically manhandled at the line of scrimmage it opens up pretty much anything for the other team and they have been takimg advantage of it..meanwhile Jags have had the best run D in football since Dareus has been there...coincidence? I think not.

Edited by matter2003

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

They havent quit. They just are not very good and the TOs that have been bailing them out have dried up

This.   :thumbsup:   "Buying into" the HC's "system" doesn't trump a lack of talent despite the manure the Bills FO and coaching staff have attempted, with some success, to feed to fans.

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

1.  It can't just be offensive coordinators "figuring us out."  This team literally went from one of the NFL's elite during the first 6-7 games, to historically bad over the last 3 weeks.  I'm a big believer in strategy and game planning.  But things don't flip THAT much by simply spotting tendencies on film.

2.  It can't just be the loss of Marcel Dareus decreasing our talent on the D-Line.  For starters, Dareus wasn't playing a high percentage of snaps.  And most of the writers who study All-22 replays will quickly tell you that Dareus wasn't even playing well. 

3.  It can't just be the lack of turnovers.  Although the interceptions and fumbles were HUGE boosts for helping us win those close games, it doesn't explain why our defense can't even make teams punt anymore

4.  The idea they are "tired" because the offense isn't playing well (too many 3-outs) is absolutely ridiculous.  Against the Jets, Saints and Chargers, this defense has been getting gashed from the opening drive.  Fatigue may be an excuse in the 4th quarter.  But the Bills defense has already let up 35+ by that point.

From a fan watching from his television... I see a team that WAS aggressive and flying to the ball early in the season, but is now jogging and half-a$$ing it.  I see a team that WAS showing fantastic tackling technique and gang tackling opponents, but now uses arm tackles and poor technique.  I see a team that WAS quick off the snap, but is now getting blown off the ball.  To me, these are all very clear signs of a team that has quit. 

In my opinion, the REAL question isn't what happened (it's obvious from watching us play every Sunday).  The REAL question is why they quit.  Why did a team that was 5-2 and in full control of a playoff spot, decided to throw in the towel on a 1st-Year coach?  Did something happen behind the scenes that hasn't been reported?

Part of me wonders if the trade of Dareus did something to the morale of this team.  Unlike the Sammy Watkins/Ronald Darby trades, which actually netted high draft picks and starting caliber players in return, the Dareus trade was nothing more than a mid-season salary dump.  You have to wonder if that particular trade sent a message to the other veterans.  You could also question how the trade for Kelvin Benjamin was viewed in the locker room.  Here you have a coach that preaches family, but seems to want everyone from the "old guard" gone and jumps at the chance to bring in guys from his old team.

:thumbsup:  Excellent post.  I think that you may have nailed the real impact of the Dareus trade dead-on: it had a tremendous psychological impact on the defense far beyond what his physical presence added to the defense based on however many snaps Dareus was given.  You may have also correctly assessed the impact of the Benjamin trade, too.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

They have not quit.  They are being beat physically by more physically dominant teams.  It is juvenile to think professionals just quit.

Might want to do some reading in psychology.  It would open your mind.

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

This.   :thumbsup:   "Buying into" the HC's "system" doesn't trump a lack of talent despite the manure the Bills FO and coaching staff have attempted, with some success, to feed to fans.

:thumbsup:  Excellent post.  I think that you may have nailed the real impact of the Dareus trade dead-on: it had a tremendous psychological impact on the defense far beyond what his physical presence added to the defense based on however many snaps Dareus was given.  You may have also correctly assessed the impact of the Benjamin trade, too.

Might want to do some reading in psychology.  It would open your mind.

I have.  Being dispirited because you're getting your butt kicked does not equal quitting.  These guys all know other teams are watching and that quitting affects their future job prospects.

2 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

So all of the sudden, they realized they are not good players?  What about the 1st 7 games?

I believe TO's play a HUGE part in it as well.  I also believe Dareus not here hurts too.  But I stand by what I said.  The DL and LB's are not good.  Think about this for example.  I think the Bills had 6 sacks on Cam Newton.  Now, it appears as though the pass rush is gone as well.  I think KW has fallen off of a cliff.  Lorax is playing out of position.  Preston Brown is horrible and Humber has regressed.  I just think film on these guys has exposed them for what we really knew right-they significantly overachieved in the first 7 games.

2 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

45 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I have.  Being dispirited because you're getting your butt kicked does not equal quitting.  These guys all know other teams are watching and that quitting affects their future job prospects.

You're denying that the concept of professional athletes "quitting" exists.  As fadingpain noted, it's been documented that it does.   You're taking the literal meaning of "quitting" and assuming athletes just decide they're going to slack off because there's nothing to play for.   That's generally not how it works.

Teams "quit" on coaches because several players at least on the team have become disillusioned with the coach, his coaching style, what his assistants are teaching, etc.  Feeling that way about coaches stress out athletes  because they've been conditioned to believe in their coaches, and it often affects their on field/court performance.  Psychological stress can affect job performance (among other things), whether you're a teacher or an accountant or a law enforcement officer or a professional athlete, and the sufferers don't have a whole lot of control over it because they're not making conscious decisions to do x or do y. 

I'm not saying that the Bills have "quit" on McDermott, but it is something that exists and can happen.

Edited by SoTier

4 hours ago, Big C said:

To the point of the OP, I don't think the team quit necessarily, I just think holes in the defense are being exposed. 

Bingo. Our LBs have been exposed  (of their devoid of talent). Our DL has been very poor and the pass rushing has been non-existent.  Also, we have played some really good QBs in Rivers and Brees.  And when you give up 300 yards rush in a game, you are toast against these teams/

What is so hard to figure out? They traded the best player on the DL.  The majority of run yardage given up has been right up the middle.  Dareus was not playing less he was playing more as the season went on.  That's because he has the body size and talent of an elite DL.  The others do not. Washington is a 3-4 DE not a 4-3 DT.  Kyle is done.  He has been a no-show all year.  

They traded the best player of the front 7 for cap space next year when they had the best chance at making the playoff in a decade.  That will be written in the first paragraph when analyzing why McDermott is let go at the end of 2018 season.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

They spend ALOT of time on the field each week. More then the Offence. Just tired. 

6 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

The timing of the defense sucking works out well with the trade of Dareus, doesn't it?

I have no idea if they have really "quit" or if it is related to Dareus...but Sal C. has always insisted that Dareus was viewed favorably by his fellow teammates and he was considered a good locker room guy, despite the fact that he was not very popular with fans.

It's possible the group was disheartened when we gave away the best (*) player on the team for nothing in return.

(*) denotes best player on team when actually motivated to play to his fullest potential, which admittedly was not often.

I think it is a combination of these things...

1. You can't count on turnover differential to hold out unless you are truly special.

2. Dareus did make a difference, especially in run defense.

3. Lots of time on the field.  It is not just the physical time on the field.  It is also the mental burden of doubting your offense.  It leads to bad morale and lowered performance.  

In order to subscribe to the theory that either the D or for that matter the O “quit”, one must first believe that said unit was quality. Right?

In order to perform at a lower than expected level to establish “quitting”, one must believe that the “quitting” team is high quality and deliberately performing at a lower level than their expected capability for no other reason than spite for their coach. Therefore, it can only stand that a quitting team must inherently be of high quality and has made a conscious desision to not play up to the known standard of high quality that has been previously established.

Is that what you or anyone else subscribing to this “quit” theory believes?

If so, what evidence can you provide?

Ted Ginn Jr. deserves a game ball for his performance in the running game against the Buffalo Bills on Sunday.

The New Orleans Saints wide receiver didn’t have a single carry during the 47-10 win, but his presence on the field got the Saints running backs at least an extra 90 yards. He was the ultimate decoy, and the Bills never figured out how to adjust to his presence on the field.

Depending on your allegiance, you either laughed at how often New Orleans used the same motion to freeze the Buffalo linebackers and get the looks they wanted in the running game, or you cringed as the defense was manipulated by Ginn play after play. For whatever reason, this wrinkle unlocked something in the Bills defense and was one of the reasons the Saints rushed for 298 yards.

It started early. One of the first examples came with 7:46 remaining in the first quarter on a fourth-and-1 play. The Saints came out in “11 personnel,” with two receivers on one side of the formation and tight end Michael Hoomanawanui and wide receiver Willie Snead tight on the other. Ginn motioned toward the tight side of the formation, looping behind Mark Ingram.

The motion caused middle linebacker Lorenzo Alexander to get wide, which opened the middle of the field. He continued to spill out toward Hoomanawanui and Snead, expecting a sweep, as Drew Brees instead handed off to Ingram. With the middle of the field cleared, the Saints got double teams on both of Buffalo’s interior linemen, which opened a hole for Ingram to pick up 25 yards after breaking a couple tackles.

Ginn’s presence was felt in a big way in the second quarter when he again went in motion, this time right behind the line, which caused a linebacker to move inside the tackles. Linebacker Ramon Humber got caught watching the motion, keeping his eyes on Ginn after the snap, which allowed Brandon Coleman to get out and block him. A downfield block by offensive tackle Terron Armstead helped Alvin Kamara gain 9 yards.

The Saints liked this action so much they came back to it with 10:21 remaining in the third quarter. Ginn again went in motion, which caused Humber to move all the linebackers inside. With the whole defense shifting left, Brees faked to Ginn and pitched the ball to Kamara, who takes it around the edge for a gain of 19 yards behind blocks by guard Larry Warford, tackle Ryan Ramczyk and wide receiver Michael Thomas.

New Orleans used the same action on the very next play, and with the defense again moving left, Kamara took a pitch to the right and got into the end zone behind a block from tight end Josh Hill.

It looked like Buffalo attempted to adjust late in the quarter when Ginn went in motion and Humber followed him to the other side of the formation. The two inside linebackers also shifted spots, but the Saints caught Buffalo out of its gaps, and Ingram easily ran up the middle for a gain of 11 yards.

There are multiple examples of this, and New Orleans was even able to manipulate the Buffalo defense with simple tight end motion at times.

But the icing came when the Saints ran the same pitch to Kamara for a fourth time in the fourth quarter for a gain of 9 yards.

The New York Jets had similar success against the Bills with similar motions the week before, but coach Sean Payton said the Saints did not run the same plays. He did, however, note that New Orleans might have used Buffalo’s aggressiveness against it.

“We saw a good game (by the Jets), but it wasn’t anything in that specific game,” Payton said. “We’ve seen, obviously, all the tape. It’s an eight-week study. They’re an aggressive front. We got a couple different things that we didn’t see in the prior few weeks.”

This level of scheming is often seen in the New Orleans passing attack. It is known to attack specific weaknesses within a defense relentlessly. The same level of planning and attention to detail showed up in the rushing attack this week.

The Saints exposed something the rest of the league will see. Buffalo is going to have to find a way to clean it up before its next opponent uses motion to open up gulfs of space for its running backs.

I think it has more to do with trading away Dareus than anything. Lazy, sure, but he was half the defense in his worst days.

People need to stop being so uptight about what players do off the field. Let the police handle real world ****. If Dareus was horrible and tricked OBD into that $100 mil contract then I’d be on board with the trade, but he was good regardless of how you feel about him. 

This team is trying to become the anti-Raiders or something. A team of good guys. Truth is you need edge and attitude to intimidate your opponent; 80% mental, 40% physical, lol.

The late 80s early 90s Bills were faaaaar from being good guys. All the best teams are full of self centered !@#$s. We had Watkins, Dareus and Shady....now one self centered star remains. 

Jauron Era 2.0; Electric Lunchpale Boogaloo

I don't think they only want choir boys off the field, they are looking for character. And much how it was misunderstood back in the early 90's, it is being misunderstood now.

They are looking for guys who have "football" character. Guys who are in early and stay late, buy into the team concept, the 1/11th stuff. Guys that fight to the end no matter the situation or contract status. They did not feel Marcell had "football character"

Marv was the exact same way. If you believe Marv thought Kelly and crew went home to prayer meetings and cookies and milk you are not giving a hall of fame coach much credit. But he consistently talked about their character, and he meant on the field, as does McBeane in my mind.

Having said that, I liked Marcell, and everyone in first 5 rows of 335 kept telling me all Tampa game to shut up about how well he was playing! I get why they traded him, but do think it is hurting the D, but cantbe the only reason for this epic slide.

17 hours ago, JinxedBill1 said:

The turnovers stopped.

Why can't more ppl see this?

Didn't some of us warn about this?

Maybe if you all stopped telling us to go root for the Patriots you could learn something once in a while and not be so surprised...

Edited by T-Bomb

1 hour ago, Gigs said:

I think it has more to do with trading away Dareus than anything. Lazy, sure, but he was half the defense in his worst days.

People need to stop being so uptight about what players do off the field. Let the police handle real world ****. If Dareus was horrible and tricked OBD into that $100 mil contract then I’d be on board with the trade, but he was good regardless of how you feel about him. 

This team is trying to become the anti-Raiders or something. A team of good guys. Truth is you need edge and attitude to intimidate your opponent; 80% mental, 40% physical, lol.

The late 80s early 90s Bills were faaaaar from being good guys. All the best teams are full of self centered !@#$s. We had Watkins, Dareus and Shady....now one self centered star remains. 

Jauron Era 2.0; Electric Lunchpale Boogaloo

Well said, sir!   You have nailed it.   :thumbsup:    I said back in pre-season that McDermott reminded me too much of Jauron, and that's EXACTLY what the Bills have, and maybe worse.   Jauron at least had a consistent philosophy: play not to lose by too much.  I'm not sure what McDermott's philosophy is except "it's my way or the highway".   He sticks to it, however, even when it's obviously not working.

50 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I don't think they only want choir boys off the field, they are looking for character. And much how it was misunderstood back in the early 90's, it is being misunderstood now.

They are looking for guys who have "football" character. Guys who are in early and stay late, buy into the team concept, the 1/11th stuff. Guys that fight to the end no matter the situation or contract status. They did not feel Marcell had "football character"

Marv was the exact same way. If you believe Marv thought Kelly and crew went home to prayer meetings and cookies and milk you are not giving a hall of fame coach much credit. But he consistently talked about their character, and he meant on the field, as does McBeane in my mind.

Having said that, I liked Marcell, and everyone in first 5 rows of 335 kept telling me all Tampa game to shut up about how well he was playing! I get why they traded him, but do think it is hurting the D, but cantbe the only reason for this epic slide.

Dude, let me set the record straight here.  The Super Bowl Bills were not choirboys off or on the field ... or in the locker room.  They also weren't well known for what you describe as "football character", either.  Just the opposite.  Some wag nicknamed them "The Bickering Bills" IIRC.  They were a rowdy crowd, and they got into trouble, which tended to be covered up when it happened locally unlike today.  They even got into fights in the locker room ... which were reported.   Numerous members of the team got drunk regularly, used drugs, and smoked frequently, including during the season.

McDermott and Beane didn't think Dareus had "football character" because the Buffalo Bills wanted to dump his salary.   They had been trying to peddle him since well before OTAs which was before McDermott had any real opportunity to judge Dareus first hand and before Beane was even hired.   McDermott apparently decided back in March that Zach Brown, Mike Gillislee, Stephon Gilmore, Marquise Goodwin, and Robert Woods all either lacked the skill sets he wanted or weren't willing to buy into his system, too.  Such an astute talent and character evaluator, he doesn't even have to work with them to know they're not what he wants.

45 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Probably if McDermott and Beane get the five years their fanboys insist they deserve.

I'm not a believer yet, but getting another new HC and GM and scheme changes again would be a worse disaster imo.

Replacing some of his coaching staff would make more sense.

3 minutes ago, ALF said:

I'm not a believer yet, but getting another new HC and GM and scheme changes again would be a worse disaster imo.

Replacing some of his coaching staff would make more sense.

The real problem with the Bills has been and continues to be that the real control of decisions about chosing players, keeping players, paying players, and apparently even playing players seems to reside higher up the food chain that Beane or McDermott.   That's been the case since Donahoe was fired in 2005, and that didn't change much when the Pegulas took over.   Beane is a largely a figurehead who is subservient to both his bosses at OBD and to McDermott on player matters just as Whaley was to his coaches.  Nix and Gailey were good ol' boys together who went back decades IIRC.

Nothing is really going to change on the Bills until/unless they have independent leadership -- with real power and only answerable to the owners -- from a "football guy" as was proposed to have Polian oversee the team.  As long as GM and HC are saddled with putting the interests of accountants and marketers ahead of winning, the Bills are going to wallow in the same "Pit of Misery" they been in for the last decade or so.

13 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

The Defense lacks the talent to implement McDermott's system. The turnover luck ran out in the first quarter of the second Jets game. 

The turnover 'luck' ended when teams realized they could just run all day and not risk throwing interceptions as often.

2 hours ago, Dunkirk Don said:

Nobody quit and dareus played poorly.  We came up with numerous turnovers and the luck has run out for a below average defense. Plain and simple let’s move on, no further discussion required on this topic period

Are you saying we were lucky to be able to stop other teams from running on us until recently?  Nothing has changed on the defense?

59 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Dude, let me set the record straight here.  The Super Bowl Bills were not choirboys off or on the field ... or in the locker room.  They also weren't well known for what you describe as "football character", either.  Just the opposite.  Some wag nicknamed them "The Bickering Bills" IIRC.  They were a rowdy crowd, and they got into trouble, which tended to be covered up when it happened locally unlike today.  They even got into fights in the locker room ... which were reported.   Numerous members of the team got drunk regularly, used drugs, and smoked frequently, including during the season.

McDermott and Beane didn't think Dareus had "football character" because the Buffalo Bills wanted to dump his salary.   They had been trying to peddle him since well before OTAs which was before McDermott had any real opportunity to judge Dareus first hand and before Beane was even hired.   McDermott apparently decided back in March that Zach Brown, Mike Gillislee, Stephon Gilmore, Marquise Goodwin, and Robert Woods all either lacked the skill sets he wanted or weren't willing to buy into his system, too.  Such an astute talent and character evaluator, he doesn't even have to work with them to know they're not what he wants.

What part of this statement indicated I thought the Bills of the glory years were pure as the driven snow

"If you believe Marv thought Kelly and crew went home to prayer meetings and cookies and milk you are not giving a hall of fame coach much credit. "

And going to the Super Bowl 4 years in a row is the very definition of football character, as well as all the comebacks over the years. Those dudes were mentally tough, and performed no matter if they just got paid or were in a contract year. And they bought 100% into Marv and his message

And you do understand that that whole crew you named in the bolded above were all free agents. And yes, it was his job to make those calls before bonuses and contracts are given out, and before any work is done with them in the offseason.

As I said in my post, I liked Marcell. But they decided to move on from him, and I don't think it mattered one iota what he did off the field( except maybe the fear of a 10 gamer in the future). It mattered he showed up late for a game in Baltimore and laughed it off. Might be the right decision, might be wrong, but it was made for football reasons and football reasons only, and absolutely getting out from that $10M guaranteed in 18 played a large role.

WHAT I HAVE NOTICED.....

The Bills obviously play McDs zone scheme 80% of the time.

They will almost have the entire outside zones covered, in the Flat, mid depth and deep halves with the safeties.

Then there is the middle of the field...

Between the hashes, 10-20 yds. Preston Brown is terrible on 3rd downs. Doesn’t have the speed, quickness or instincts to cover the middle. Last week Chargers had 3rd and long, they went right up the middle. Brown threw his arms up in a hissy fit cause he got beat again.

Kelce might have a huge game because our middle zone, mid depth has been picked on all season. I wish McD would bring Hyde up to play a robber style in the middle giving our Defense more speed and play making ability over the middle.

Watch the middle on 3rd and long, watch Brown get picked on over the middle. It happens 8-9 times a game. That’s like 35-40% of pass attempts....

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm guessing it is a combination of trading away key players and starting unprepared QBs, all the while saying you are trying to win now....the players no longer believe the coach and McD has lost the room IMO.

I was willing to overlook a lot of the BS but the Peterman fiasco has completely soured me on McD and I expect I am not the only person. McD had better understand the consequences of his words and actions before him and Beane bring in the next group of players.

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

The real problem with the Bills has been and continues to be that the real control of decisions about chosing players, keeping players, paying players, and apparently even playing players seems to reside higher up the food chain that Beane or McDermott.   That's been the case since Donahoe was fired in 2005, and that didn't change much when the Pegulas took over.   Beane is a largely a figurehead who is subservient to both his bosses at OBD and to McDermott on player matters just as Whaley was to his coaches.  Nix and Gailey were good ol' boys together who went back decades IIRC.

Nothing is really going to change on the Bills until/unless they have independent leadership -- with real power and only answerable to the owners -- from a "football guy" as was proposed to have Polian oversee the team.  As long as GM and HC are saddled with putting the interests of accountants and marketers ahead of winning, the Bills are going to wallow in the same "Pit of Misery" they been in for the last decade or so.

So, who higher on the food chain told Beane to get rid of Sammy, Marcell etc? 

Are you saying that was a Russ Brandon decision? Or Overdorf (who gave Marcell that contract)? 

Thst doesnt make make any sense to me. Why would Russ Brandon want to trade away so much talent and rebuild the team? How do any of these recent decisions seem like marketing ones? I don't see it at all. 

Why would Overdorf want to get rid of the Marcell contract, which he just recently wrote (and will cost the Pegulas a bunch of money still, for a guy who isn't even here)? Wouldn't that make him look incompetent? 

And you think they are the ones deciding which players to play? Like who, Peterman? 

You are saying Russ Brandon said "hey we are currently in a playoff position, bench our starting QB for marketing reasons!"? 

I have no no idea where you are getting this stuff from... are you just making assumptions without any proof? If you were talking about the past, I'd agree. But where do you see the same old same old with this new regime? 

If you have anything to actually back up your opinion, please post it. 

I think this new regime is clearly in the drivers seat as far as decision making goes. 

The Bills seem to be running in a much different way than in the past.

Look at everything that's happened. They just about totally cleaned house. When has that EVER happened in the past 20 years? They'd scapegoat a coach or GM but never came anywhere close to cleaning house. They are trading away bunches of talented and recently drafted players to collect bunches of draft picks to build the team through the draft. When has that happened during the drought? 

McDermott and Beane are clearly in charge IMO. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't think they quit. I think the rest of the league figured them out and they don't have enough talent to adjust.

Or a defensive coaching staff that wants to adjust.  We know the offense will not adjust from Dennison's rigid scheme, maybe Frazier is the same way.  Quite unfortunate, and that probably means that most, if not all, of the remaining Whaley era players will be gone by the time next season starts.

On 11/25/2017 at 5:00 PM, Charles Romes said:

I agree that the numbers don't lie and are particularly stunning when cross referenced with the turnaround of Jacksonville's run D. There were some astute football savvy posters on this board who warned that Dareus was occupying multiple blockers each of his limited snaps and thus was earning his large salary.   These were lonely voices of wisdom it turns out and Dareus continued to be a punching bag for the fans and the media.   The most distressing thing is that the coaching staff and front office listened to the fans and the media and exaccerbated the piling on rather than capably evaluate Dareus' now clear dominant impact on the field.   

I think you're pairing two things in the bolded part there, that don't belong together.  The paradox of Dareus is that it's true he was no longer earning his large salary; he's basically a shell of the "Best DL in the league, Period" he was at one time.  At the same time, he was an important contributor to the Bills run D on the 40+% of the snaps he played, and it's suffering without him.  No longer the best DL in the league doesn't mean, no importance or worth as a player!  Analytics said the best course of action was offload his contract and take the cap hit now.  The goal of winning this year would have been better served by keeping him.

Good article here analyzing Dareus in our D and Jax.  (I have no association with Cover 1 other than I find their stuff on point and often education to me.)

12 hours ago, Dunkirk Don said:

I thought we put an end to this thread.  One more time.  We were not very good to start with.  We got a ton of turnovers. The league caught up with us.  Let’s move on.

Except, just because you say it one more time, doesn't mean it's an analysis that matches the facts.  We were, in the earlier part of the season, defending the run much better than in the 3-game series of "Ls", and if one looks at the film, one sees guys sticking tackles earlier in the season and missing them now.

It does go beyond turnovers.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan