McD already a hypocrite by not committing to Tyrod at KC

Jobot

6 minutes ago, teef said:

i'm with you.  even if the bills managed to sneak into playoffs, then what?  i'd love to break that streak, but they certainly wouldn't be competitive.  on top of that, i think it's more than likely tyrod will be gone next year and there will be a new qb in town.  there was going to be a shake up next year, playoffs or not.  

And play jax. They easily could beat them  

But you'll be here posting for months about mock drafts and combine results while I won't care until September 2018.

Edited by Billsfan1972

The vast majority of the decisions the Bills made this year strongly suggested they're building to win in the future, and that anything positive that happens this year is them playing with house money. 

They traded Watkins

They traded Darby

They traded Dareus

These were decisions that weren't going to make us better this year, and the Peterman decision is no different. McDermott thinks Peterman has a better shot of being our long term QB than Taylor, and because they think that they want to see him on the field now. 

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

Well of course it didn't work out the way he wanted lol. It couldn't have gotten much worse at that.

He did make the wrong decision and he hasn't really owned it. What was his quote. "I don't regret the decision, I regret the result?". Basically saying he still thinks it was the right move starting Peterman and not admitting it was wrong. 

You are being critical just to be critical now.  He made a call and he regrets the call didn't work.

Just now, JM2009 said:

Could be. But I think they can beat Miami and the Colts at home with TT.

Ya depending how the defence plays. If they play like the last 3 games they will lose out. But of course I don't think they continue that horrid streak as they have been historically bad

45 minutes ago, 87168 said:

i'm going off what the coach said upon his arrival, and during interviews. he's stated multiple times that he is here to win games, and win games now. 

Find me any organization other than the Browns who actually told the media/fans they aren't trying to win right now.

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And play jax. They easily cpuld beat them  

But you'll be here posting for months about mock drafts and combine results while I won't care until September 2018.

I'd rather make the WC and lose 100-0 then this repeating cycle of nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan11 said:

Well of course it didn't work out the way he wanted lol. It couldn't have gotten much worse at that.

He did make the wrong decision and he hasn't really owned it. What was his quote. "I don't regret the decision, I regret the result?". Basically saying he still thinks it was the right move starting Peterman and not admitting it was wrong. 

That's too hard a concept for some here to grasp......

How about "I made a mistake and put Peterman in a bad situation and it was unfair to him the team and the fans"

Peterman was starting the second half if he didn't throw int 5.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

You are being critical just to be critical now.  He made a call and he regrets the call didn't work.

Not being critical, just stating facts. You are saying he owned the decision if I read that right? He didn't at all is what I'm saying. That's pretty inarguable by his post game quotes

Edited by billsfan11

59 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

Because you don't agree with him does not make him a hypocrite.

Holy, might have to make this my signature! :worthy:

23 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

He hasn't owned it.  That is the problem with McDermott.  He's a fraud if Peterman starts the locker room is lost and top level fa's will not want to come here if they here tgis is a rebuilding program for 2020.

Hyperbole much?

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And he said it didn't work out the way they wanted.  You're being completely ridiculous at this point.

Bingo. 

6 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

because it was the right move.. Anyone with a clue could see the Bills were not going ot make the playoffs given the 2 weeks prior and the fist full of clues we saw the enitre season. And this thought process where some how TT fixes his short comings and puts the team on his back to hide the rest of the Bills deficiencies had less than 0% chance of happening... SO you face reality and look towards the future. For better or worse you change the main horse at QB because swapping out an enite defense or OL was not a possibility..

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

Where are all the other moves. So the defense can give up 140 pts the last three games but no changes made.  Milano maybe or how bout Tare Elston on some downs instead of one of the slower LBs.

This regime obsesses over Special teamers, but keeps all these extra offenaive lineman, but Henderson, Groy, Miller or Connor McDermott don't deserve a shot after your QB almost gets killed last week or run game does nothing previous weeks.

They should want to win this game out of all the others since we have KCs pick.  

Eh i don't think he's a hypocrite.  His reputation has definitely taken a hit though.  Let's face it, last week 98% of the national media called the move to Peterman -dumb, stupid, moronic and reckless (to name a few).  We local fans were like..NO, we watch the team every week and it's a good calculated risk.  Well, the national media was 100% right!   It was a dumb move in hindsight.  The team was in a playoff spot and they pissed it away.  Probably would've lost with Tyrod anyway, but that narrative is pointless now. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jobot said:

FACT: McDermott's reason to start Peterman, (so he said) was to try and figure out if he could give the Bills a better chance to win and make the playoffs

Okay... following Peterman's debut.... there is no arguing that the team is better off today starting Tyrod over Peterman.

So even if you believe that Peterman 'knew where the ball should go' and made some 'darn good plays'... you cannot bury your head in the sand and ignore that the O-line will ever allow this approach to succeed.  Until the O-line problems are fixed, only then can you justify Peterman back under center IF YOU ARE SAYING WE WANT TO WIN TODAY....  So Tyrod MUST be the starter if you're trying to tell everyone that you play the guys that give the team their best chance to win.

It's really disappointing to see this from someone who had appeared to be a great Leader earlier in the season.  Regardless of Wins and Losses, the Bills appeared to have found a true leader that could get the best out of his team.  Unless he has been having some 'behind the scenes' brutally honest discussions with the players, this locker room is going to crumble very soon... as no one is going to want to go follow this guy.

Really? I don't recall him saying what you quoted.  I recall him saying the decision was made in the best interest of the team, then later saying it was in the best interest of the team for now and in the future. At the point you call someone out and call them a hypocrite, you should probably provide a link to the original quote.

Toning down the fan drama would dramatically improve everything.  I believe the sports media sensationalized this personnel move in much the same way the media sensationalizes everything today. Many of you are feeding off it and it is truly an exercise in futility.  As my father used to say on long drives; sit back, relax, and enjoy the drive.

When I was a child in the back seat of his car, he was correct; what did have control of? very little.  As a fan sitting in Terry Pegulas back seat (which you are lucky to have by the way), really what do you have control of? very little.  I know if I had enough money to buy the Bills the fans would not factor into any of my front office or coaching decisions for at least three years, probably four.  At that point if it is bad, I would need to make a change.

The purpose of all of this griping and moaning is puzzling.  What do you hope to achieve? In reality you only have a portion of the information required to make the decisions these coaches gms are making.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Eh i don't think he's a hypocrite.  His reputation has definitely taken a hit though.  Let's face it, last week 98% of the national media called the move to Peterman -dumb, stupid, moronic and reckless (to name a few).  We local fans were like..NO, we watch the team every week and it's a good calculated risk.  Well, the national media was 100% right!   It was a dumb move in hindsight.  The team was in a playoff spot and they pissed it away.  Probably would've lost with Tyrod anyway, but that narrative is pointless now. 

This pretty much.

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

It was a dumb move in hindsight.  The team was in a playoff spot and they pissed it away.  Probably would've lost with Tyrod anyway, but that narrative is pointless now. 

They pissed it away when they couldn't rebound at home against the Saints with extra days to prepare.  That was pretty clear

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

McD  didn’t mean for one game ... he wants to see if Peterman can be better long-term ... it’s really a simple concept ... I don’t know why so many people are having such a hard time with it ...Everyone needs to realize that Taylor is gone after this season and playing him now does nothing for anyone.

Ah, I needed this post, common sense on TWD, very little on these days filled emotion, gibberish, and nonsense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

McD  didn’t mean for one game ... he wants to see if Peterman can be better long-term ... it’s really a simple concept ... I don’t know why so many people are having such a hard time with it ...Everyone needs to realize that Taylor is gone after this season and playing him now does nothing for anyone.

JaCrispy,  it doesn't draw much discussion but there is definitely cause for concern about what a strict diet of butt-whuppings does to the culture of a team.

If Taylor gives us a chance to win, or at least not be publically humiliated on both sides of the ball, now that we've "tanked the tank" there is an argument to be made for playing him.  If Peterman can be better long term, there is also an argument to be made for properly developing him - which does not mean throwing him in like that.

The argument against that philosophy would be that Dennison doesn't seem capable of using Taylor or McCoy effectively behind the line we've got, so why.

But that same argument applies to Peterman.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I predict Peterman starts this week and throws for 333 yards, 3TDs &  3 INTs in a victory over the Chefs ("Great googly moogly.").

And ALL is well for Bills fans!!!....until the following week.

"Strong feelings are fine; it's the overreactions that mess us up."  -Albert Ellis

Stay with Peterman is my vote.  He's still the better long-term option.  I'm not putting that entire disaster on his shoulders - this first time, at least.  Tyrod has hit his ceiling and it's border-line playoff caliber provided all other parts of team functioning at peak efficiency.  Taylor doesn't harm, but he doesn't help.  Peterman's ceiling is much higher - no point in going back to Taylor.  Peterman gets just a little help and that game doesn't have the wheels fall off like that.

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Tyrod is not good. All these commenters who feel the need to preface their criticism of his play with "well, he IS a good QB" amuse me.

Right. He's really good... just not for us. Please.

No need to do the whole "it's not you... it's me" thing.

I don't think this is true. Tryod is a fine NFL QB and he could make a lot of teams around the league better. Denver and Jacksonville would probably view him as a huge upgrade right now over what they have. 

He has a high floor, but a low ceiling. He doesn't make mistakes, but he also doesn't produce many big positives either. Having watched him for 2.5+ years, he's not good enough to be our QB because we're currently looking long term. We traded away several of our best players with the hope of being a contender for years to come, and the move to see what Peterman has obviously echos our long term rebuilding plan. 

Our plan doesn't mean Taylor is a bad player though. Anyone who has a defense and a running game could use him as their starter. He's the type of guy who if you have an elite defense can be effective because he never turns the ball over. As I said, Denver, Jacksonville and Baltimore would love to have him right now. He'd make all of those teams better. 

The issue is that if you don't have a defense, what's the point in having him around? He's never going to produce big passing yards or big point totals, and with a rebuilding roster we might as well move onto the next option because by the time we're actually good, Taylor won't be around anyways. 

6 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

They pissed it away when they couldn't rebound at home against the Saints with extra days to prepare.  That was pretty clear

Well i definitely agree with that as well.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

JaCrispy,  it doesn't draw much discussion but there is definitely cause for concern about what a strict diet of butt-whuppings does to the culture of a team.

If Taylor gives us a chance to win, or at least not be publically humiliated on both sides of the ball, now that we've "tanked the tank" there is an argument to be made for playing him.

If Peterman can be better long term, there is also an argument to be made for properly developing him - which does not mean throwing him in like that.

I'd call McD a fool if he rolls out Peterman at KC.  Tyrod definitely gives the team a better chance to win this week.  Hotrod has played at Arrowhead, he knows what it's all about.  Nate would go in there and his mindset would be not to throw picks...and he'd be captain checkdown just as much as Tyrod was vs. NO. 

McD needs to give the young guy a chance to catch his breath and learn.  Assuming we lose to KC and NE, then start Nate vs. Indy at home.  It's easier to have him gain some confidence at home where the team typically performs better... (unless it's the Saints!)

1 hour ago, Jobot said:

FACT: McDermott's reason to start Peterman, (so he said) was to try and figure out if he could give the Bills a better chance to win and make the playoffs

Okay... following Peterman's debut.... there is no arguing that the team is better off today starting Tyrod over Peterman.

So even if you believe that Peterman 'knew where the ball should go' and made some 'darn good plays'... you cannot bury your head in the sand and ignore that the O-line will ever allow this approach to succeed.  Until the O-line problems are fixed, only then can you justify Peterman back under center IF YOU ARE SAYING WE WANT TO WIN TODAY....  So Tyrod MUST be the starter if you're trying to tell everyone that you play the guys that give the team their best chance to win.

It's really disappointing to see this from someone who had appeared to be a great Leader earlier in the season.  Regardless of Wins and Losses, the Bills appeared to have found a true leader that could get the best out of his team.  Unless he has been having some 'behind the scenes' brutally honest discussions with the players, this locker room is going to crumble very soon... as no one is going to want to go follow this guy.

Its not about winning today....its about winning in the future consistently and hopefully winning today. I feel like ur missing the point.

10 minutes ago, simool said:

Really? I don't recall him saying what you quoted.  I recall him saying the decision was made in the best interest of the team, then later saying it was in the best interest of the team for now and in the future. At the point you call someone out and call them a hypocrite, you should probably provide a link to the original quote.

Toning down the fan drama would dramatically improve everything.  I believe the sports media sensationalized this personnel move in much the same way the media sensationalizes everything today. Many of you are feeding off it and it is truly an exercise in futility.  As my father used to say on long drives; sit back, relax, and enjoy the drive.

When I was a child in the back seat of his car, he was correct; what did have control of? very little.  As a fan sitting in Terry Pegulas back seat (which you are lucky to have by the way), really what do you have control of? very little.  I know if I had enough money to buy the Bills the fans would not factor into any of my front office or coaching decisions for at least three years, probably four.  At that point if it is bad, I would need to make a change.

The purpose of all of this griping and moaning is puzzling.  What do you hope to achieve? In reality you only have a portion of the information required to make the decisions these coaches gms are making.

True that (Based on the bold point)- reviewed his quotes from the switch and he did make word things in terms of building for the future.

Let's hope Peterman can survive on this team going forward if he does remain in.  I disagree with the thought that you can learn anything or even develop a young qb under the teams current O-Line circumstances.  There's only so much embarrassment the players are going to be willing to stomach during the process.

31 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And play jax. They easily could beat them  

oh stop it.  you just assume how that works out, and who know.  keep trying to make things up so watkins can seem more important that he really is to la. 

you need to realize it wasn't about this year...at all.  

Maybe we should all take a deep breathe and let the coaches coach the team.  Tyrod is not the answer and we need to see what Peterman can do.  It was a horrible start but do you really think we could have won with Tyrod?  The Tyrod experiment is over and we are not going to make the playoffs.  We will lose twice to NE and this week for sure and we will probably split with Miami. It is time to evaluate our young  talent.  Humber and Alexander to the bench.  Get rid of Glenn.   Waive Holmes and Duccasse for a number 3.  We are moving in the right direction

6 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Well i definitely agree with that as well.

I'd call McD a fool if he rolls out Peterman at KC.  Tyrod definitely gives the team a better chance to win this week.  Hotrod has played at Arrowhead, he knows what it's all about.  Nate would go in there and his mindset would be not to throw picks...and he'd be captain checkdown just as much as Tyrod was vs. NO. 

McD needs to give the young guy a chance to catch his breath and learn.  Assuming we lose to KC and NE, then start Nate vs. Indy at home.  It's easier to have him gain some confidence at home where the team typically performs better... (unless it's the Saints!)

And Taylor plays vs. If and they win 24-20 which he is capable of and has done (vs. 5th round pick) does that make McDermott look worse?

28 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

because it was the right move.. Anyone with a clue could see the Bills were not going ot make the playoffs given the 2 weeks prior and the fist full of clues we saw the enitre season. And this thought process where some how TT fixes his short comings and puts the team on his back to hide the rest of the Bills deficiencies had less than 0% chance of happening... SO you face reality and look towards the future. For better or worse you change the main horse at QB because swapping out an enite defense or OL was not a possibility..

That's like not applying to a job because you assume you aren't qualified enough. Never eliminate yourself. It's a loser mentality. One that McD was supposedly working on getting rid of.

• Like (+1) 1

Funny, no one is hanging any of the problem on Dennison.

Who calls the plays for the Offense? Why did Dennison not turn to the ground game just to give the kid a chance to shake the demon?

Dennison is very one dimensional. He calls in a play and makes no allowance (audible) to adjust at the LOS if the defense is a vulnerability.

Do you really think that McD decided to change QB without input from OC - (McD is a Defensive guy)

Dennison wanted the change at QB!

Dennison - Dennison - Dennison

I wish we had someone else who could call the plays!

Edited by cd1

The Bills have never really committed to Tyrod so this shouldn't be a shocker to you. A contract restructuring for less money and let him test the market doesn't scream commitment in my book.

He also didn't even commit to his decision to let Nate start because he pulled him at halftime. Don't worry Tyrod will be back but our defense will probably play so bad that we lose anyway. You would at least think benching Tyrod in the first place would be a huge clue that they were not committed to Tyrod. Couldn't be more clear at this point but....

Keep hanging on to that 6th seed. That last Ray of hope even though before we even started Nate the team was getting destroyed or at least was in a serious decline so keep thinking the QB change made that much of a difference or really would now.

Edited by Lfod

39 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

But there are big problems with that.

He said they are trying to win now and in the future. Putting Peterman in to win now was a terrible move. And putting him in for the future contradicts what he said about winning this year.

Either way you slice it, he either made a terrible mistake by putting in Peterman to win now... Or he lied to his team and his fans by saying they are trying to win now and then puts Peterman in for the future.

Almost certainly he put him in because he somehow thought he gave them the best chance to win. No way he would play for the future when they were 5 and 4 in a weak AFC

Edited by billsfan11

39 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

That's too hard a concept for some here to grasp......

How about "I made a mistake and put Peterman in a bad situation and it was unfair to him the team and the fans"

Peterman was starting the second half if he didn't throw int 5.

Exactly

1 hour ago, AdamK said:

After the Chargers game, I thought the same thing - McDermott HAD to go back to Tyrod for the remainder of the season.

Now, I think he is screwed either way.

If he goes back to Tyrod, he looks weak and undetermined. Also, we don't learn any more about Peterman or his future (I don't believe that can be determined on one game.) Best outcome for this option is that Tyrod comes out and plays more aggressive and starts lighting it up, but given past indicators this is doubtful. 

If Peterman starts again, I think he could lose the locker room. But this is the only way McDermott can regain his credibility. If Peterman starts this week and starts throwing interceptions, the season would be over. But the best outcome for this option is if Peterman somehow turns it around and plays really well....once again highly doubtful given past indicators.

Unfortunately, (for us fans desperate for the playoffs) this decision will not be based on getting to the playoffs this year. I think McDermott has left himself with only one viable option for his long term future and credibility - starting Peterman.

I agree with you.

McDermott is in a lose-lose situation, although you could argue that he put himself in this position.

1 hour ago, 87168 said:

because McD stated they are looking to win games now. yet, as you just mentioned, he's making moves indicating long term decisions.....like benching your winning qb for 5th round rookie.

that in itself makes him a hypocrite.

1 hour ago, 87168 said:

i'm going off what the coach said upon his arrival, and during interviews. he's stated multiple times that he is here to win games, and win games now. 

I, as I believe many of us, share in your frustration.

McDermott did say that they are here to win now. After three blowout losses, and the starting of Peterman last week, makes you question McDermott's approach for this season.

Is McDermott a hypocrite? Maybe. I still think that his overall approach to the Bills can be turned into success for the future.

Of course after nearly two decades of no playoffs, it's very tough for fans to continue to be patient. Especially after the Bills being 5-2 just three weeks ago.