Tyrod is a franchise QB

Domdab99

11 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

what upgrades this team for the better more tomorrow and long term - this is where i am on the fence.

an offensive lineman - a wide receiver - a qb

i'm thinking if we just upgraded right guard and right tackle we'd be head and shoulders better.

i don't understand why 2016 was so much better blocking and it isn't the blocking scheme.

i think part of it is taylor is being coached not to move up in the pocket and run like he used to.  he rolls to the outside instead of stepping up in the pocket like he used to and that isn't even with a linebacker spying him.

After watching the debacle that was the Jets game, I would really like to see this team draft both OL and DL early and often...if we are planning on being a run first team that wins with defense, solidifying the trenches are crucial imo

I also feel the read option from last year may have masked a lot of the deficiencies on the OL

Edited by JaCrispy

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Would you not agree with most? How many is some over/under half? It’s definitely over. 

Yeah probably most.  But I think there's discourse, unlike Winston/Mariota.

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They're better because of the media tongue bath they got before the draft. 

Yes, the media is why Winston went #1 and TT not until the 6th.

Edited by jmc12290

5 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

After watching the debacle that was the Jets game, I would really like to see this team draft both OL and DL early and often...if we are planning on being a run first team that wins with defense, solidifying the trenches are crucial imo

we have been hitting on bringing in veteran DL recently.  I think there are better options in that facet of team building than drafting them.  there are too many factors at play when judging a prospect as a college.  if we never drafted a DL again i would be happy - pass rushers should be LB's imo or the extreme chance of a blue chip elite DE.  but never a DT or edge setting DE...well, maybe not in the first 3 rounds.

First 4 picks of the draft I would be happy going BPA at QB, OL, OL, LB.  I would go WR and DL in FA.

i do like Lawson, though.  i see him having a long serviceable career not too much off of chris kelsey.  if coached correctly and used properly he will be worth keeping.

but to turn this back to the topic, we don't have a need at qb.  we have a desire to upgrade and i think we should if we can at the right cost.  we have needs at RB2, OL, DL, LB, CB (remember Gaines isn't here next year and injured), and TE. 

4 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Yeah probably most.  But I think there's discourse, unlike Winston/Mariota.

I don’t disagree at all. The point is that “GMs would take ____” isn’t the same as “____ is playing better.” As of today Tyrod has been better than both Jameis and Mariota IMO. There are lots of metrics that support that. I didn’t include them in “definitely better” because you can’t be playing worse and be “definitely better.” That holds especially true for guys with limited resumes. 

11 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

I was referring to fans, in that the QBs who had the big build up since college are given the benefit of the doubt even when 6th rounders are playing better. 

I dont want to get into franchise QB debates because the term itself is up for interpretation. 

Tyrod is a QB that, with a decent supporting cast around him, can win games (like the large majority of QBs in the NFL). 

Im a fan of Tyrod for what he brings to the table:  

1. Explosive ability. He can throw the deep ball (when he has a deep threat) with the best of them.

2. He can sometimes make plays out of nothing with his ability to scramble and extend plays. His ability to run for first downs is elite. 

3. He has elite ball security. For a QB that is as mobile as Tyrod his ability to protect the ball is ridiculous. He rarely ever fumbles. He rarely ever throws INT’s. His TD/Turnover ratio is about top 5 in the NFL. 

Where he needs to improve:

1. Gain trust with his WR. His ability to prevent turnovers is almost to his detriment. He needs to be able to put more trust in his receivers and throw the ball with a bit more anticipation and/or when the receiver isnt wide open. In his defense, he has had a carrousel at WR over the last two years and hasnt been able to gain chemistry with any single player. When it looked like him and Clay were starting to really click, Clay went down. That being said, he needs to still get over that mental hurdle and just sling it a little more. 

2. Pocket presence. This Oline is arguably the worst he has had since being in Buffalo. Lets face it: Mills and Ducasse have no business starting. Wood is on his last legs, and Incognito is going on 35yrs old. We need a complete overhaul on the Oline (good thing we have a lot of draft picks!). That being said, he has a tendency to bail too quickly on plays. Maybe its bc hes a bit shorter so when the pocket collapses he wants a clear sight down field or maybe its just his scrambling instinct. Either way, he needs to learn how to shift within the pocket a little better without completely bailing out of the pocket and rolling out. 

So, in short, there is a a LOT thats good about Tyrod. A couple of things need improvement. I really think that Tyrod’s “deficiency” when it comes to slinging it a little more and trusting his WR can definitely improve once he finally has some stability at WR and he plays more games under the same offensive system. However, im not sure how much his pocket awareness can improve at this point. In that regard he may be who he is.

Overall, hes one of the better QB’s in this league when you look at the total package he brings to the table. Is that a franchise QB? Well hes not a HOF and hes no Rodgers or Brady. But hes definitely better than about 15 other QB’s in the league in my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

we have been hitting on bringing in veteran DL recently.  I think there are better options in that facet of team building than drafting them.  there are too many factors at play when judging a prospect as a college.  if we never drafted a DL again i would be happy - pass rushers should be LB's imo or the extreme chance of a blue chip elite DE.  but never a DT or edge setting DE...well, maybe not in the first 3 rounds.

First 4 picks of the draft I would be happy going BPA at QB, OL, OL, LB.  I would go WR and DL in FA.

i do like Lawson, though.  i see him having a long serviceable career not too much off of chris kelsey.  if coached correctly and used properly he will be worth keeping.

but to turn this back to the topic, we don't have a need at qb.  we have a desire to upgrade and i think we should if we can at the right cost.  we have needs at RB2, OL, DL, LB, CB (remember Gaines isn't here next year and injured), and TE. 

Couldn't agree more, especially on the edge setting DE...while solid, I feel Shaq Lawson was drafted too early for what he brings to the table...and I think that's a big reason our pass rush is suffering.

I, too, am ok with QB, unless we find one we really like... and even if we stick with what we have, upgrades at OL would certainly go a long way to help.

19 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I would love to take our first 5 picks and invest it all on the LOS. 

In no specific order:  2 OL, 1 LB, 2 DL

1. KW is getting old. We need a DT. 

2. We need an ede rusher on the DL if we only plan on rushing 4. 

3. Incognito is going to be 35. Mills is not a starter. Ducasse is garbage. We literally need 2 starting OL. 

4. I feel that McD would probably love to have a field general at LB like he had in Carolina. A LB that can be the leader of his defense for the next 10yrs. 

We have the picks. All of the above can be accomplished this draft; or at least attempted. 

Then the rest of the draft can be used for depth at DB, RB, LB. 

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

I would love to take our first 5 picks and invest it all on the LOS. 

In no specific order:  2 OL, 1 LB, 2 DL

1. KW is getting old. We need a DT. 

2. We need an ede rusher on the DL if we only plan on rushing 4. 

3. Incognito is going to be 35. Mills is not a starter. Ducasse is garbage. We literally need 2 starting OL. 

4. I feel that McD would probably love to have a field general at LB like he had in Carolina. A LB that can be the leader of his defense for the next 10yrs. 

We have the picks. All of the above can be accomplished this draft; or at least attempted. 

Then the rest of the draft can be used for depth at DB, RB, LB. 

i'd love to know why he didn't pursue AJ Klein at all.  Klein could be playing MLB for us in a pinch and would be starting over Alexander who has turned to dung.

38 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I also feel the read option from last year may have masked a lot of the deficiencies on the OL

...interesting assessment 'Crispy.....Drafttek  site (Astro here has affiliation ) has Bflo going either OL/DL or DL/OL with the two 1sts and Luke Falk in the 2nd..............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

3 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

i'd love to know why he didn't pursue AJ Klein at all.  Klein could be playing MLB for us in a pinch and would be starting over Alexander who has turned to dung.

Good question. He’s having a decent season for the Saints, and he’s pretty young. 

Even Romo was clowning him late in the game. 1 on 1 on the outside and not taking his shots. Everyone can see it and that includes opposing defenses from here on out. Benjamin wins those matchups most of the time and Taylor isn't even going to think about throwing up a contested ball. I will say this, thank god we have a mobile qb like Taylor right now because if we have a statue back there behind this offensive line he will get killed!

....a "franchise QB" is one that is a significant "cut above the rest" IMO.....and the majority of those today are on the downside with very few "up and comers".....like to think a significant measurement would be 4th quarter comebacks where the QB puts the other 10 on his shoulders and can march down the field in <2 minutes to put up the "W" when called upon....don't see where TT fits that definition......many posts have identified his shortcomings which after 7+ years may not be overcome to attain franchise status......sure hope he does as I have zero hate or any other similar nonsense towards the kid.....

Tyrod was not fully to blame but he also wasn't blameless.  Yeah there was a number of fumbles but let's not forget Tyrod was one of those fumbles and if we are going to hold Matthews and O'Leary accountable for their fumbles then Tyrod needs to be held accountable for his.

On the flip side, a lot of our points in our big win over Oakland were thanks to turnovers our defense created.

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I can sit here and list every mistake Derek Carr, Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota make in a game too. How about Matt Stafford against the Steelers? Are we going down that rabbit hole? 

....LMAO.....isn't this the site of micromanaging experts?......after all, when <300 yds is THE major and predominating component of assessment, everything else is down hill thereafter.....

1 hour ago, jmc12290 said:

Yes.  Indubitably.

If you polled 32 GMs, I am very confident 32/32 would take Jameis/Mariota over TT tomorrow.

I bet most GMs in this past offseason would have taken Glennon over Tyrod too. That’s because NFL GMs are regularly terrible and don’t know how to make good predictions. Brock Osweiler got a huge contract! Joe Flacco was the highest paid QB ever at the time when he got his extension, and since then has done absolutely nothing to live up to it. At the beginning of this year I’ll bet a decent percentage of GMs would have said they would take Siemian over Tyrod. Now, no chance. So I really don’t care what the average GM would do. They mostly suck at their job.

Winston and Mariota have flashed potential but they’re as inconsistent as anyone. If you watched the Titans closely like you do the Bills, what would your reaction be when they narrowly defeated the Browns in OT in a game with all field goals?

Just now, HappyDays said:

I bet most GMs in this past offseason would have taken Glennon over Tyrod too. That’s because NFL GMs are regularly terrible and don’t know how to make good predictions. Brock Osweiler got a huge contract! Joe Flacco was the highest paid QB ever at the time when he got his extension, and since then has done absolutely nothing to live up to it. At the beginning of this year I’ll bet a decent percentage of GMs would have said they would take Siemian over Tyrod. Now, no chance. So I really don’t care what the average GM would do. They mostly suck at their job.

Winston and Mariota have flashed potential but they’re as inconsistent as anyone. If you watched the Titans closely like you do the Bills, what would your reaction be when they narrowly defeated the Browns in OT in a game with all field goals?

There’s absolutely no way you believe most GMs would have taken Glennon over Tyrod. That’s just silly.

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

There’s absolutely no way you believe most GMs would have taken Glennon over Tyrod. That’s just silly.

Really? Glennon has a cap hit of $14.5 million this season with $18.5 million guaranteed. Tyrod has a cap hit of $9.7 million this season with $15.5 million guaranteed. There were people on this board who would have easily taken Glennon over Tyrod and many GMs would have done the same.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Really? Glennon has a cap hit of $14.5 million this season with $18.5 million guaranteed. Tyrod has a cap hit of $9.7 million this season with $15.5 million guaranteed. There were people on this board who would have easily taken Glennon over Tyrod and many GMs would have done the same.

Please tell how you can speak about what most GMs would have done or wanted to do?  How did you come to that conclusion? 

14 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

He did get a bigger contract than Tyrod. Amazingly so I must say

....and what does stupid money or ludicrous contracts tell you other than desperation?....is there a warranty or "money back guarantee"?.....Flacco getting 52 mil guaranteed....The Cutlet getting 54 mil guaranteed.......and now 10 mil for his "services(COUGH)"......Glennon at 15 mil.......now to be on the "pine"......the list is endless with no end in sight.....pretty sad state of the QB position IMO....collegiate level has no interest in being the NFL Developmental League.......

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/11/3/16602430/analysis-tyrod-taylor-was-not-the-problem-in-thursdays-buffalo-bills-loss-to-new-york-jets

Anybody that reads that article and watches the clips from every Bills drive against the Jets and still thinks Taylor was the problem is just a guy with an agenda.

....I'm not a TT homer, preferring to objectively analyze in year 55 (probably ain't worth MUCH), but you're 127% right......did he have his flaws?...of course.......at the same time, the OL was woeful BOTH in pass protection AND run game.......Jets stacked the box against this club which is hardly pass FIRST and the OBD bumblers could not counter.....STILL go back to Cowher yesteryear statement saying, "if the OL does NOT perform as a cohesive UNIT, everything else offensively fails".....and it did woefully fail causing the wheels to fall off.....so hats off to Castillo and Dennison for their CONTRIBUTORY parts in this debacle......

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I bet most GMs in this past offseason would have taken Glennon over Tyrod too. That’s because NFL GMs are regularly terrible and don’t know how to make good predictions. Brock Osweiler got a huge contract!

I highly, highly doubt that. From what I have read, the league thinks a lot more highly of TT than we do. Not a chance IMO any of them takes Glennon over TT. It still boggles the mind why O'Brien gave all that money to Osweiller but that was just a wild aberration I think. Osweiller wasn't even any good in college.

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

With the type of team that McD wants to put together I'd be reluctant to draft DL early as well.

Have to be the right personality type for sure........a flaky individualist like Von Miller wouldn't work for McD.

Serious question about Shaq.........has he even TOUCHED a live QB this season?:lol:

The only contact I recall was touching Cams foot for a sack after he already turtled. 

And of course........ALWAYS take the BPA QB first.    Bills have never done it even ONCE.

Love 3D but give me Mahomes or Watson any day over any CB on the planet. 

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

With the type of team that McD wants to put together I'd be reluctant to draft DL early as well.

Have to be the right personality type for sure........a flaky individualist like Von Miller wouldn't work for McD.

Serious question about Shaq.........has he even TOUCHED a live QB this season?:lol:

The only contact I recall was touching Cams foot for a sack after he already turtled. 

And of course........ALWAYS take the BPA QB first.    Bills have never done it even ONCE.

Love 3D but give me Mahomes or Watson any day over any CB on the planet. 

While I agree somewhat with your post it is important to remember that BPA is relative, depending on a whole host of things

1 hour ago, IBinTionesta said:

Even Romo was clowning him late in the game. 1 on 1 on the outside and not taking his shots. Everyone can see it and that includes opposing defenses from here on out. Benjamin wins those matchups most of the time and Taylor isn't even going to think about throwing up a contested ball. I will say this, thank god we have a mobile qb like Taylor right now because if we have a statue back there behind this offensive line he will get killed!

Not taking shots or not throwing to players he doesn't trust?

Tyrod knows he has very little room for error on the stat sheet.........this regime was so lukewarm on him that they were willing to let him walk if he insisted on being paid near the middle of the league for a QB..........then they traded away his only downfield weapon in the passing game..........they were looking past him from the get-go.

He's gotten himself back in the conversation as a long term solution and throwing a bunch of interceptions or incompletions to guys that he can't trust to get open gives management an excuse to bench him in a game where the Bills defense had turned totally inept.

Hopefully when Benjamin gets in there he can be that trust guy........like Plaxico was for Eli.........and maybe he can even be a real deep threat despite his lack of speed because Tyrod can buy time for plays to develop like nobody else.   We can hope.   It's not as ideal as having Sammy streaking down the sideline at 21.5mph and accelerating to the deep ball........but it's an upgrade on Molasses Matthews and a exponentially bigger catch radius than Deonte.

10 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

While I agree somewhat with your post it is important to remember that BPA is relative, depending on a whole host of things

I always take the QB with that first pick in round 1.

And now with the rookie pay scale.........it's kinda' obvious that the best long term play is always being on QB at the top of the draft.

Bills have only TWO of their original first pick, 1st rounders on the roster to show for 17 years of no playoffs........sluggish Shaq and rookie 3D....and they are 5-3.

Must be a miracle, right?

First round picks are the most overrated method of acquiring talent. 

Beyond QB always take BPA's at critical positions that are too expensive or impossible to address in FA..........I think the Bills were drafty-for-needy last spring but you can't argue with the positions......CB, WR and LT.......3 guys at $15M positions in FA.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

55 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

And that tells us most GMs in the league would prefer him over Tyrod? His replacement was also immediately drafted so there is that.

In a way yes. It is a fact that Glennon got offered a starting spot with more money than Tyrod, who had to take a paycut to remain a starter for the Bills.

Teams in free agency obviously didn't want Tyrod as a starter for their team, and one team wanted Glennon as their starter.

So I guess you can say there was a slightly better market out there for Glennon opposed to Tyrod.

Which speaks to the inept general managers

41 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/11/3/16602430/analysis-tyrod-taylor-was-not-the-problem-in-thursdays-buffalo-bills-loss-to-new-york-jets

Anybody that reads that article and watches the clips from every Bills drive against the Jets and still thinks Taylor was the problem is just a guy with an agenda.

Agreed.  

I dont have an issue if people doubt Taylor as the long term answer and still want to draft a QB next year.  Its fair to have that opinion as he still has more to prove over the rest of the season one way or the other.  

However, anyone pinning the Thursday game on is either doing so because they just cant get passed their blind hatred of TT and are making a very biased statement, or they just really don't understand football like they think they do.  And that's just the harsh truth.

It wasn't a perfect game by Taylor or anyone on the team, but its a minor miracle that TT not only left the game healthy, but that he was able to accomplish even what he did.  Everyone on that team was letting him down from dropped passes, fumbles, and most importantly the revolving door of the OL.  The defense failed in all phases of the game too, and I don't think Denison did a very good job either.  Taylor and Zay really felt like the only guys ready to play Thursday.  

Kid showed that he is tough as nails, standing in there taking huge hit after huge hit to get the pass off.  How anyone could root against him right now is beyond me, this kid has more hearth than any Bills player we have seen in a long time.  And his teammates seem to think the same too.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....and what does stupid money or ludicrous contracts tell you other than desperation?....is there a warranty or "money back guarantee"?.....Flacco getting 52 mil guaranteed....The Cutlet getting 54 mil guaranteed.......and now 10 mil for his "services(COUGH)"......Glennon at 15 mil.......now to be on the "pine"......the list is endless with no end in sight.....pretty sad state of the QB position IMO....collegiate level has no interest in being the NFL Developmental League.......

You are proving my point if you read what was going on in this page. You are pretty much agreeing in what I am trying to say

44 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Romo's best point of the night was that he must throw the ball away instead of a sack.  Difference between 3rd and 8 and 3rd and 15.  Can someone call TT and tell him to just throw it away??!!  He was better at stepping up in the pocket at the end.  Also, he needs to learn the Brady side step.  C'mon man, this isn't that hard.

48 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Please tell how you can speak about what most GMs would have done or wanted to do?  How did you come to that conclusion? 

I was responding to another poster who tried to say what most GMs would do. I’m just saying I don’t care. Osweiler and Glennon ended up with bigger contracts than Tyrod got. Flacco is still getting paid a massive salary.

I still believe outside of about 8 top tier QBs and 8 bottom tier QBs, most starting QBs are pretty close in skill. I said last year give me Derek Carr’s supporting cast before you give me Derek Carr and based on this year I’m doubling down on that. This draft needs to be about building a team around Tyrod, not selling the farm to bring a question mark QB onto a broken offense.

15 hours ago, Augie said:

Nice, pick 6 top QB’s then say Tyrod isn’t as good. Do you even hear yourself? NOBODY says Tyrod is top 6, or even close. I’m becoming very tired of you and your agenda.

My agenda is to not have a QB that can't win football games. This is the definition of Tyrod. He can keep you in a game someone else is winning for him, but in his career he's won exactly 2.

4 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Romo's best point of the night was that he must throw the ball away instead of a sack.  Difference between 3rd and 8 and 3rd and 15.  Can someone call TT and tell him to just throw it away??!!  He was better at stepping up in the pocket at the end.  Also, he needs to learn the Brady side step.  C'mon man, this isn't that hard.

After re-watching the game, I would say that only one time in seven he had a realistic chance of just throwing it away. Maybe two.