How would you rate the 2017 Draft so far?

Sky Diver

Thoughts?

Round 1, Pick 27 (No. 27 overall)

Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU

Round 2, Pick 5 (No. 37) (From L.A. Rams)

Zay Jones, WR, ECU

Round 2, Pick 31 (No. 63) (From Falcons)

Dion Dawkins, G, Temple

Round 5, Pick 19 (No. 163) Matt Milano, LB, Boston College

Round 5, Pick 28 (No. 171) Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh

Round 6, Pick 11 (195) Tanner Vallejo, LB, Boise State

If the players continue to develop and get better...the best we've had in a while. We could potentially have a lockdown corner, a slot wide out (think Zay just needs a little time to develop), a solid outside linebacker who can cover, a RT, and a backup QB. Nice draft. Three rooks starting right now and Dawkins has started a few games and provided nice depth. I'd say that's a win. Can't wait to see what they do with next year's draft

Too early to say.

White and Milano look like keepers. I have faith that Dawkins, at the very worst, will be an excellent guard. So that would be three quality players. We won't know how the draft stacks up completely until Vallejo and Peterman get playing time.

For Whales last draft, and free agents acquisitions. He is a potential Executive of the Year In Absentia candidates. Yes, this was ALL Doug Whaley.

Tré could be the best first round pick weve made in over a decade.

Imo

post-11693-0-94185700-1509385888_thumb.jpeg

Depends whether Peterman is The Savior or not.

For Whales last draft, and free agents acquisitions. He is a potential Executive of the Year In Absentia candidates. Yes, this was ALL Doug Whaley.

Then he should have no trouble finding another high-ranking executive job in short order.

Its way to early to make any final grades on the players or the draft. But, if we are to grade it as of today, I dont see how anyone can say its not an A.

Tre has been playing at a Pro Bowl level, Milano is making big contributions now that opportunity has given him playing time, Peterman played well enough to earn the back up job, and ZJ while struggling prior to this week looked like he might be finding some confidence and could become a more impactful player the rest of the season. Add in an extra first round pick next year on top of that and this draft so far has been stellar to say the least.

But again, its way way too early to know really what these players careers will be like, but so far the results seem quite promising.

Depends whether Peterman is The Savior or not.

Then he should have no trouble finding another high-ranking executive job in short order.

He already found another high ranking job in the industry...

Imo

Solid this year, but they say you can only accurately judge a draft after a few seasons have passed. But overall good: White looks great (although so did Darby and he fell off a cliff his second year), Jones is shaky but I think a player once he gets over the rookie blues, Dawkins can play, Milano contributed immediately, Peterman might be a good backup, and Vallejo is ok so far. I'll go B after 7 games.

Too early to grade, but the draft looks promising. Obviously, the personnel staff of the Bills leading up to the draft (headed up by Whaley) deserve a lot of credit for setting up the draft board, but it doesn't look like a Whaley draft. It looks like a great deal of effort was made to draft players that were a scheme fit for what the Bills want to do. They want to play mostly zone coverage on defense. TreDavious White does not have an elite man coverage skill set. He's a zone cover guy who can play some man in a pinch. I don't think Whaley would have come up with that pick on his own. I think McDermott probably argued for the trade down. "We don't need Lattimore. White will work perfectly in this offense." Players like Milano and Villeho are McDermott type players, not Whaley players. Whaley gets credit for the homework, but I think McDermott gets credit from making the picks.

Thoughts?

Round 1, Pick 27 (No. 27 overall)

Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU

Round 2, Pick 5 (No. 37) (From L.A. Rams)

Zay Jones, WR, ECU

Round 2, Pick 31 (No. 63) (From Falcons)

Dion Dawkins, G, Temple

Round 5, Pick 19 (No. 163) Matt Milano, LB, Boston College

Round 5, Pick 28 (No. 171) Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh

Round 6, Pick 11 (195) Tanner Vallejo, LB, Boise State

the Top 4 picks are all starting, so there is that.

OK, I'll do it: would you rather have D Watson and no Tre or next year's chiefs #1? Or would you rather have what the Bills have (Tre + pick).

If no trade, wasnt Marshon Lattimore going to be the pick?

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/28259/rookie-marshon-lattimores-legend-grows-as-he-seals-saints-fifth-straight-win

Lattimore has looked good, but I'd rather have Tre + Chiefs' next year's first rather than Lattimre

Now your question is different - and mucho harder to answer

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

Still way too early but as of today somewhere in the B+ to A- range based on the following:

White - looks to be a future all pro

Zay Jones - looks like a typically rookie WR but did take baby steps against the Raiders

Dawkins - haven't seen enough but has been up and down when he's played

Milano - could be a potential steal, looks like a starter for sure

Peterman - future franchise QB once he plays, hopefully it will be for the Bills

Vallejo - ST player, need to see more

Could very well be one of the best drafts in the drought an Beane hasn't even done his own yet.

Obviously it's pretty early to make a definitive call but through seven games I'd say Tre White has an excellent mindset combined with solid athletic ability and seems to take well to coaching. That's a recipe that adds up to becoming a very good player.

As for Zay, his time is coming. He's a worker, he has the desire, he's learning how to temper himself in the NFL, not get too high when things are good and not get too low when things are bad. He has a great team supporting him and he'll break out at some point and again, his make-up as a player points to him being a good, consistent player for a long time.

I feel the same way about Dawkins and Milano. I think Peterman is looking at a career as a solid backup with the ability to step in and win some games/keep things on track when needed. I've read/heard that they were really impressed with Vallejo during camp but he's had a lot of problems with injuries.

Tré could be the best first round pick weve made in over a decade.

Imo

You have a rep as being a guy with sources, so how can I argue against 2017 being a Whaley draft? I simply have one issue, what was Whaley smoking or not smoking that made the 2017 draft such a vast departure from his previous drafting style?

For sure everything went thru McD in that draft.

This is what Ive always believed. Whaley is either bi polar, or finally saw the light if he were in charge.

You have a rep as being a guy with sources, so how can I argue against 2017 being a Whaley draft? I simply have one issue, what was Whaley smoking or not smoking that made the 2017 draft such a vast departure from his previous drafting style?

This is what Ive always believed. Whaley is either bi polar, or finally saw the light if he were in charge.

In what way was last year's draft a vast departure from Whaley's style?

B. No QB.

We drafted a potential stud and steal in the 5th round.

Peteman might not play this year barring injury but I strongly believe he'll be a franchise QB in this league and hopefully for the Bills. My sources are still raving about him during our regular conversations about the Bills and NFL in general.

On the surface this is shaping up to be in the B-B+ range. Very happy with Tre & Matt Milano. Dawkins and Vallejo are fine. Zay is underperforming. Personally however, I would give the draft an F. Deshaun is looking like the real deal, and as a team that doesn't have the future at QB sewn up, it's painful to see him killing it with the Texans when we could've had him.

That being said, I reserve the right to update my assessment based on continued play. Maybe Watson is a flash in the pan. I think Zay will improve with more time on the field. The biggest thing that will convince me is if the Bills land an awesome QB next year.

We drafted a potential stud and steal in the 5th round.

Peteman might not play this year barring injury but I strongly believe he'll be a franchise QB in this league and hopefully for the Bills. My sources are still raving about him during our regular conversations about the Bills and NFL in general.

Peterman is not in there plans to be a starter. I can almost guarantee you that.

The Bills will have 4 options for QB next year/future

1. Keep Tyrod

2. Trade up in the first round to get a QB

3. Do both those things^

4. Sign a free agent QB like Cousins, Smith, etc..

None involve a raw 5th round pick who was inconsistent in pre season..

The Bills have absolutely no plan to mold Peterman into the starting QB for the future.

I am not sure why you think this guy is the 2nd coming of Tom Brady

All and all, a pretty, pretty good draft (so far) (Larry David voice). I wish the Chiefs would do their part and lose the rest of their games so that pick is better than it seems it will be at the moment.

Edited by Peter

Peterman is not in there plans to be a starter. I can almost guarantee you that.

The Bills will have 4 options for QB next year/future

1. Keep Tyrod

2. Trade up in the first round to get a QB

3. Do both those things^

4. Sign a free agent QB like Cousins, Smith, etc..

None involve a raw 5th round pick who was inconsistent in pre season..

The Bills have absolutely no plan to mold Peterman into the starting QB for the future.

I am not sure why you think this guy is the 2nd coming of Tom Brady

Honestly and this is not to agree with Petermans biggest fan on here.....you show me a rookie qb that ISNT inconsistant in year 1.....

The best case scenario is that Tyrod continues his play.....Peterman is the backup who has Ryan Fitzpatrick written all over him (very good backup) and they draft a QB to groom....it probably will not be high