Fairburn: Tyrod Taylor on the Verge of a Breakout Month?

Could Buffalo Bills QB Tyrod Taylor be on the verge of a breakout month?

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- I know it's not considered fashionable to paint an optimistic picture of Buffalo Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor.

But let's hit the pause button on the Nathan Peterman talk and consider, for a second, the big picture. Yes, Taylor is coming off one of his worst games as a Bill in which he threw for 166 yards in a loss to the Cincinnati Bengals before the bye. With better quarterback performances against the Bengals and the Panthers, the Bills could very well be 5-0 instead of 3-2.

"Right now, we sit 3-2," Taylor said. "We control our destiny moving forward. It's time for us as a team, time for me as a quarterback, to separate from the pack and do whatever it takes to win."

There's reason to believe Taylor, who has faced heavy criticism during his time in Buffalo, could be on the verge of separating from the pack. At least he better be.

Consider the Bills' next five opponents. They host the Buccaneers and Raiders in consecutive weeks before traveling to play the Jets, returning home to play the Saints and hitting the road to take on the Chargers. According to Football Outsiders' DVOA, which is explained here, those teams rank 31, 29, 21, 11 and 12 in pass defense. That's just what the doctor ordered for a Bills' passing offense that ranks 19 in DVOA.

@JonScottTV

"It's time for us as a team and time for me as a quarterback to separate from the pack." Tyrod Taylor's evaluation of self and #Bills O

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/920678137851207685/pu/vid/1280x720/SNGsCfszxOyRFsNa.mp4

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The schedule is favorable. This is a stretch Buffalo and probably more importantly Taylor need to take advantage of. If the team only manages to break even and limp through the following stretch of games it probably does him in as the Qb going forward. On the other side of the coin, Taylor can play this team into legitimate playoff contention he would at least solidify his position as unquestioned starter for this year and the following.

Read that with a grain of salt

Taylor is coming off one of his worst games as a Bill

With better quarterback performances against the Bengals, the Bills could very well be 5-0

the verge of separating from the pack. At least he better be.

The Saints (Brees) will be an in interesting game.

If Taylor want's to prove he is a real starter he has an opportunity ahead of him to do so.

No more excuses, especially since it looks like Matthews will be back this week and the only key player that is going to be out (barring any new injuries) during these next few games or so is Clay. But I think O'Leary is certainly capable of making plays in the passing game at the TE position and scouts have raved about Logan Thomas as well.

If Taylor can prove he can make some plays downfield it will do wonders for the running game even if the oline continues to struggle blocking.

With Tyrod in the title there is guarantee that there will be blood. The bills should be able to run against the bucs if not then I lose all hope for Shady and the run game this season. We do not have the excuse they're a top 10 defense, this is one of the worst defenses in the league.

If Taylor want's to prove he is a real starter he has an opportunity ahead of him to do so.

No more excuses, especially since it looks like Matthews will be back this week and the only key player that is going to be out (barring any new injuries) during these next few games or so is Clay. But I think O'Leary is certainly capable of making plays in the passing game at the TE position and scouts have raved about Logan Thomas as well.

If Taylor can prove he can make some plays downfield it will do wonders for the running game even if the oline continues to struggle blocking.

this is like....your best post ever. Congratulations.

I like what Taylor says here but I wish he would've worded like this.

It's time for me as a quarterback, it's time for us as a team, to separate from the pack and do whatever it takes to win.

Is this a joke? That's like exactly what he said. I don't know how anyone can criticize anything that he said here.

But as someone else said, show me the baby.

Agree with your post but Clay was his downfield target. Hopefully other guys can step up and he can get them the ball.

With Tyrod in the title there is guarantee that there will be blood. The bills should be able to run against the bucs if not then I lose all hope for Shady and the run game this season. We do not have the excuse they're a top 10 defense, this is one of the worst defenses in the league.

The reason they were Top 10 defenses was because they played the Bills and it helped their average

The reason they were Top 10 defenses was because they played the Bills and it helped their average

Ridiculous.

Jets have faced Tyrod, Carr, Cutler, Bortles, Kizer/Hogan, and Brady. Tyrod was 4th of those 6.

Carolina has faced Hoyer, Tyrod, Brees, Brady, Stafford, and Wentz (Kind of a murderers row). Tyrod was the worst of these 6, but only Brady had more than 230 yards passing against that D.

Denver has faced Rivers, Prescott, Tyrod, Carr/Manuel, and Manning. Tyrod was 4th of those 5.

Atlanta has faced Glennon, Rodgers, Stafford, Tyrod, and Cutler. Tyrod was 4th of those 5.

Cincy has faced Flacco, Watson, Rodgers, Kizer/Hogan, and Tyrod. Tyrod had the 3rd best performance of those 5.

If you want to talk about helping averages let's talk about teams that played Baltimore. Like Flacco's 28 yards against Jacksonville :lol:

Two weeks for the coaches to install a game plan, two weeks for the walking wounded to heal up and two weeks for the newer players to settle in. Taylor had better show us something. I'll settle for ANYTHING positive. Doesn't even have to be a win. If it's same old same old it'll be time to stick a fork in him.

Is this a joke? That's like exactly what he said. I don't know how anyone can criticize anything that he said here.

But as someone else said, show me the baby.

@PFF

Ranking every QB in the NFL by PFF Grade

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-qb-rankings-by-pff-grade-after-week-6

6. Tyrod Taylor, Buffalo Bills – 83.4 overall grade

Slide33.jpg

The only ranking system I care about is playoff wins and Super Bowls. Taylor has zeros in all categories and I don't see that ever changing. Even if he got Traded to the Packers or Cards I still see all zeros.

Agree with your post but Clay was his downfield target. Hopefully other guys can step up and he can get them the ball.

Even if it's just for show, they need to take some shots downfield with Thompson and/or Kierlan Clay to try and back defenses off.

All it takes is for us to hit a couple nice plays downfield and it will change everything in terms of how defense approach playing the bills and it's not like Taylor can't do that because it's actually one of his few strengths.

i'd be blown away if this happens.

TBD WILL crash if that happens...

Love when people say crazy stuff prefaced with "I wouldn't be surprised." Really, you wouldn't be surprised if 1) TT is even traded and 2) if it's for a FIRST round pick!? That poster might be the only one...

TBD WILL crash if that happens...

Love when people say crazy stuff prefaced with "I wouldn't be surprised." Really, you wouldn't be surprised if 1) TT is even traded and 2) if it's for a FIRST round pick!? That poster might be the only one...

i wonder what it really takes to surprise that guy?